PHOTO: School Bus Involved in Collision on Westbound Highway-4 in Concord

January 10, 2013 · 24 comments

bus

A school bus was involved in a crash with a big rig this morning on westbound highway-4 near highway-242 in Concord.

The CHP is investigating the crash.

No major injuries were reported, and we’re hearing the school bus was not carrying any students at the time of the crash, although that has not been confirmed.

photo credit: Instagram – Pelochin20

1 biggus thinkus January 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Very happy to hear there were (reportedly) no kids on the bus. Do we have a time of the accident, and do we know if any schools nearby were due to have a field trip (which will now be cut short….). I hope the bus driver is ok, that looked like a mighty big hit.

2 Dorothy January 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM

That looks really nasty.

3 Josh January 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM

VERY HAPPY to read that no children were on that bus, it would have been horrible if anyone was in the back. Amen!

4 akira blade January 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

wow this is scary when i seen the page like this i was thinking in my head dont let it be my babies bus so i clicked on it and viewed more and thankfuly it wasnt talk about a scare there.. i hope the bus driver is ok and i hope its not my sons evening bus driver :(

5 og January 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I drove past it shortly after it occurred and it looked empty.

6 Phoenyx January 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Wow, thankfully there weren’t any kids on the bus.

I was stuck in the traffic when they diverted everybody onto 242. What a mess! Now I know why.

7 drc January 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

What about the big rig driver, is he OK? is anyone concerned about him?

8 mir24 January 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I didn’t see either of the drivers when I drove by around 8:45 and the bus was perpendicular to the highway with the front left tire broken off (driver’s side). The big rig had front-end damage on the left but I don’t know how the accident happened (it was right after the merge from PCH onto 4 going towards Martinez). They were still letting us merge onto 4 at the time but had started to close that side of Hwy 4 (diverting to 242).

9 *ting angel halo* January 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Drove right by this today… glad to hear no one was hurt.

10 Mimi (original) January 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

OMG! That looks awful! Was there also a fire on the back? It looks really black.

11 Jim January 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Glad there were ni kids…did you see the rear end of that thing….UGGGGLY

12 LittleGeno January 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM

One of the Pleasant Hill elementary schools was on a field trip to the Delta headed in the opposite direction this morning. I was a chaperone and we passed this accident as we headed from Pleasant Hill to Oakley. Since it was on the other side of the freeway, we all saw it. It looked awful and scared some of the kids. We were told that there was one student on the bus along with the driver and that neither were injured. However, I am not sure how accurate that report is as I read some of the other comments. As we returned about 4 hours later, the road was clear and there were no delays or vehicles/investigators on the freeway.

I am sure we can all agree that it is always unnerving to see a busted up school bus involved in an accident. I hope it was a genuine “accident” and not something that could have been prevented by either of the drivers. I am glad everyone seemed to walk away.

13 belairium January 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM

That appears to be a paratransit bus that carries students in wheel chairs. Thank God nobody was hurt.

14 Screwy Louie January 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Those Internationals can sure take a hit!!

15 doglover January 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

My sister is a bus driver, and said their was 1 child on board. Was in the very first row, in a carseat. Didn’t even know bus was hit. Thank god nobody was in the back. Last couple of rows of seats were crushed together. God was looking out here.

16 Suaminya January 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

drc, as you can see, the big rig obviously hit the bus from behind. And yes, I am concerned. Concerned to know if he was driving while intoxicated and/or impaired by lack of sleep……

17 Doctor J January 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM

So glad they weren’t using Eberhart’s “one cheek on and one cheek off” policy of overcrowding the school buses, but really how is Mr. Transportation Director, Greg Rolen, part time district lawyer, going to explain one of his “new buses” having a wheel come off on Hwy 4 to cause the bus to come to a halt in a traffic lane during rush hour with one student still on the bus ? I will light a candle for no children being hurt in this one.

18 anonymiss January 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM

This occurred right behind my job. Bus lost a tire and got hit by the rig..there was young child who appeared to be uninjured at the scene but thank goodness no one was hurt. Shaken up but not hurt. CHP was on scene very quickly although he was there w/o assistance for what seemed like eternity..kudos to him!

19 Doctor J January 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM

And now we learn there was an unreported bus fire on a Special Ed bus. http://esbpublic.mdusd.k12.ca.us/public_itemview.aspx?ItemId=6127&mtgId=370

20 mamaof2 January 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

suaminya- You obviously know nothing about big rig drivers and their regulations. I know the driver he works with my husband and they don’t do drugs they are regularly drug tested but you know thanks for the concern of all involved.
DRC- thanks for being the only one concerned for him as well.

I am glad EVERYONE is ok

People are so quick to jump on big rig drivers in general for their driving. what people don’t realize is they are driving a huge, heavy, machine. You know how long it takes a car to come to a stop? well it takes them double that and they can’t immediately speed up and slow down like a regular car. I can’t tell you how often I hear of rigs being cut off or slammed in the back of because people just don’t realize or care about these things.

21 sumsocool January 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM

# 19 Doctor J
How can you say the school bus that caught on fire was not reported? Obliviously it was reported, just not to you.

22 Doctor J January 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM

@#21 Who was the school bus fire reported to ?

23 Doctor J January 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Just 4 months ago, FCMAT found MDUSD “recent findings indicate some lax practices relative to regular school bus preventive maintenance and adherence to laws and regulations. Not all buses are inspected by the Transportation Department at the legally required intervals.” Why hasn’t anything been done in the last four months to correct this ? I can’t wait to see Brian Lawrence’s list of questions to Steven Lawrence why he has not mandated immediate corrections that have apparently resulted in a wheel coming off a special education bus and a bus catching fire.

24 Doris Stathoff January 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I’m not placing the blame on the driver, but I wonder if the driver could have chose to driver further down the roadway instead of bing in the roadway. Was hazard lights activated, also why wasn’t reflectors put out warning drivers of lane danger.