The “Old Farts” Annual Bicycle Ride up Mt. Diablo on New Year’s Day

January 1, 2013 16:00 pm · 15 comments

diablo

They did it, again!

13 members of the local “Old Farts” cycling team completed their annual ride up Mt. Diablo on Tuesday morning.

The total membership of the team is 35, and in July, eight of them traveled to France to follow the Tour de France, watching three stages, and actually riding several routes of the Tour.

Good job, Old Farts!

Thanks to John Hemm for the picture & the information!

1 Pegasus January 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Where are the women, don’t they fart too?

2 Minutemom January 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Way to go, guys! You are an inspiration… :)

3 Gloria January 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Names would have been nice.

4 Horse'n Around January 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I don’t know, some of them don’t look very ” Old ” to me. Great job guys. I personally would never, let me rephrase that “could” never do that!

5 Share the Road with Me! January 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Hey! That’s my hubby in that picture! :)

6 anon January 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Loved seeing all of them today…..masses of bikers! Funny, I mentioned how many gray(ish) beards I saw on bikes today….that explains it!

7 man with the clipboard January 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

@1 Pegasus … women don’t fart, they inexplicably go to the restroom and turn the sink on full blast.

8 idiot hater January 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Are these the same guys who like to ride 3 or 4 abreast down Pine Hollow Road? Who run through the stop signs & generally do not follow the rules of the road. Just saying…. Don’t get me wrong, it is great that they are getting exercise & they have fun doing so. But would hate to see them be a statistic.

9 steve weir January 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Sorry we did not provide names to the Mayor, will do so. (I think I am the oldest in the photo, just shy of 64.)

Bill Bergman founded this informal group several years ago. You have to be over 50 (but we do allow 40 somethings as Old Farts in Training).

10 co-co-res January 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

awesome! yes, i would have loved to known the names.

11 rokataje January 2, 2013 at 6:34 AM

What a wonderful ride we had yesterday! It was a little on the cool side. I think I remember hearing Steve Dubya saying it was 31 degrees. Thank you to Johnny and Dubya for providing the coffee and croisants, and the champagne to celebrate.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL my Old Fart riding buddies!

12 I would like to sign up ..... January 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM

for the ride DOWN only…….Pat, age 65.

13 RunnerDope January 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM

And no mention of the runners that ran to the top at the same time?
AFAIK the Diablo Road Runners started this tradition in the ’80s, running from Northgate High to the summit. It was several years before the bikers showed up.

14 Saw you at the top January 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

RunnerDope, wow jealous much? It was probably a member of the “OldFarts” that sent in the photo maybe next year you should should send one of your group as well. Doubt that anyone cares that you were there first you sound like a 5 year old. Great job Old Farts AND Diablo Road Runners !!

15 steve weir January 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Old Farts at the top of Diablo (not in order): Dick Boqaert, Andy Hagin, Bill Bergman (chief old fart) Craig Stowers, Kevin Ernst, Paul Desmerais, Robert Picard (assistant old fart), Steve Turnbloom, Steve Weir, Matt Sylvester, Mickey Ryan, Jacob ______, (sorry Jacob) Mark Poston.

(For what it is worth, safety is a BIG DEAL to all of us, how do you think some of us have survived 50 years of cycling?)

PS, love the runners, especially when they pass me going up hill!