UPDATE: Vehicle Crashes into Ouimet Brothers Funeral Home in Concord

December 30, 2012 · 103 comments

As we first reported (with pictures), a vehicle crashed into the Ouimet Brothers Funeral Home in Concord on Sunday.

The following update is from the Concord Police Department:

Location: Quimet Brothers Funeral Home, 4125 Clayton Rd, Concord

Party #1 Information
Driver: 16 year old male
Passenger: 15 year old male
Vehicle: 1974 Chevy Nova

Party #2 Information:
Driver: 16 year old male
Passenger: 15 year old female
Vehicle: 2004 Ford Escape

Party #3 Information
Pedestrian: 66 year old male

Officers responded to the Quimet Brothers Funeral Home regarding a collision into the building. Upon arrival, they discovered a 1974 Chevy Nova collided into the front of the building, striking a subject who was inside. Both occupants in the Chevy were taken to John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek; the subject inside the building was transported to Highland Hospital in Oakland for treatment.

None of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening. The funeral home suffered significant, structural damage.

The preliminary investigation revealed Parties #1 and #2 were driving their respective vehicles westbound (inbound) Clayton Rd. At some point, party #1 swerved off the roadway and into the funeral home, striking party #3 who was inside the building. At the time, Quimet Brothers was holding a funeral service.

The exact cause of the collision is under investigation; however, preliminary statements suggest parties #1 and #2 may have been involved in an exhibition of speed. There were no arrests made at this time.

If you have any information regarding the collision, contact Traffic Officer Ron Bruckert at 925-671-3311, extension 4365.

Video: Copyright Craig Cannon – for use only on Claycord.com

1 Concordian December 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Did the teens steal the black car?

2 The Book... December 30, 2012 at 8:47 PM

….throw it at them.

3 Chris Durrant December 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM

IDIOTS!!!!

4 jjla December 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Thinking these kids need some community service, maybe 2000 each, with the drivers spending an expected time behind bars thinking about their crimes and how it ended up harming an innocent and could have been so much worse! Knuckleheads!

5 jjla December 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM

*hours each!

6 Chevrolet girl December 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM

They are not even old enough to carry passengers.

7 This makes me ill December 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM

If both drivers were 16 years old, that means neither of them are legally driving people around. So unless the passengers were siblings and they had a note in the car from their parents to drive with the sibling they were breaking the law.

8 Sue December 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

How careless and dangerous! Perhaps the legal driving age should be 18 for teens! Too much of this going on…hope these families have insurance!

9 ML December 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

WOW! This is horrible, but could have been so much worse. Luckly these kids were driving a solid steel classic, if they would have crashed any other car into a solid cement wall, they probably wouldn’t have made it out alive.

10 no swag December 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM

they were trying to be cool, failed miserably , and now mostly are facing civil if not criminal suits

step your game up youngins

11 anon December 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

You should see how many 16 year olds drive to school with all their friends inside the car. That law is seldom enforced, at least not at high schools.

12 TIME December 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

This could have been much worse. All those people standing outside.

13 Sy Kodad December 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

My honor student can blow your honor student’s doors off.

14 V December 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

#9 ML I totally agree!

Seems like a waste of a beautiful car

15 Anonymous December 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I’ll say this once, because this is looking like the comments are going to be an exact replica of the original post’s comments.

PLENTY of teenagers are good drivers, better even than many middle-aged people. You never hear about them, though. Maybe something they did avoided an accident that could have been caused by a 40 year old soccer mom trying to multitask. Maybe something they did avoided an accident that could have been caused by a 56 year old business man who just spilled coffee on himself. There are good drivers and there are bad drivers at every age level. There are also accidents. Accidents that could have killed a lot of people, but accidents nonetheless. If this had been a middle-aged man, NOBODY would be as up in arms as they are in these comments.

16 Surprised December 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Friends of David Rosen?

17 aka December 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Name them, shame them. Put them on public display.

18 unknown December 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Out source them to China – for punishment.

19 Recovering December 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I agree with anonymous #15. There are great drivers, and bad drivers at any age. I am a commercial driver, and can tell you that now (in my 30’s) I am less attentive to the road then I was at 17… I take my skill, training, and experience for granted. And I’m SURE someone’s going to say something about that. BUT if we all get honest, we would all admit it. How many of us would’ve been on a phone (if they’d been around) back when we were first driving? Or messing with an iPod? Think about that before you go to check something or change songs while at a red light…

20 perla December 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I agree #9 legal driving age should be 18 I almost got kill in Clayton by a 16 year old. Driving mom’s car and illegally caring a 16 year old passenger”friend” Clayton Police was call to the accident the kid admitted having a passenger under age and they should of taking his license away Instead they let him go and mommy pay for the damage to my car. Thanks Clayton Police Nice lesson to this kids.

21 Connie Dobbs December 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM

What #13 said.

22 Wtf?! December 30, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Careless for the public safety, obviously not their own. How can somebody lose control of a vehicle and smash into a building. Let alone a funeral home. A place where somebody say their final farewells to a loved one, then a vehicle comes into the building like cool aid man on a family guy episode.

23 mattyelvis December 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM

everybody is so quick to judge these kids but what about parents that raise children with no common sence…. “we should take kids cars away” where are the people shouting “you should raise kids that aren’t idiots”…maybe its because they’re raised by idiots themselves… idiots that can barley drive… idiots that think gun controll will keep criminals from getting guns… THEY ARE CRIMINALS… lets make a law to make the driving age 18??? are you serious… “legal” didn’t stop me from hot rodding around at 14…. and it didn’t stop the dozens of “underage” friends of mine… we just had the common sence enough to not do stupid things… do you think 2 extra years of resentment is going make someone a better driver? maybe we could make it harder to get a license… of course you don’t even have to be here legaly to get a license so……. and i’m sure not having a license is going to deter people from driving without one huh? but thats how things work right “Big Daddy Government tell us when we’re ripe enough to drive… tell us what we can and can’t have… tell us who our friends are (imigration… because we are all suposed to love folks that don’t pay income tax and drive wages down) tell us how to live… we are too dumb to do it ourselves…. oh Big Daddy Government… we want you to run health care since you did such a bang up job with other things…. like the postal service….

then we can all scream and yell when things fail…. cause we failed first… failed to live responsibly… failed to teach our kids to be responsible… failed at life.

24 effer December 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM

@ML,

Actually if they were driving a modern car they most likely wouldn’t have been injured. Not to mention, stability control (on almost all new cars) would have kept them on the road in the first altogether. The lack of proper safety harnesses, head-rests, airbags and crumple zones are the primary causes of injuries in old cars. Crash safety was designed to save lives, not make cars seem “weak”. Simple physics

25 mileena December 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM

No one has mentioned yet that one of the cars was a 1974 Chevy Nova. At least some good has come of this accident: the Nova is totaled! I’d be embarrassed to drive a car that old. They must have gotten it from a junk yard because they couldn’t afford anything else, lol.

26 mileena December 30, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Also why punish the victim by sending him to Oakland? Why not a local hospital?

27 Concord Citizen December 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Corporate Owned Funeral Homes charge a lot of money for services. The young man responsible for this disruption should have to pay for all funeral services, damages and injuries caused by his irresponsibility – no matter how long it takes him to do so. This was an unacceptable and preventable act.

Ouimet Bros. Concord Funeral Chapel has not been locally owned for MANY years.

28 Iola December 31, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Just like mileena said why did they send the victim all the way to Highland hospital. Really!? I thought they are supposed to take them to the nearest hospital. If anyone knows please post, I am really curious about that one.

29 itsdecember December 31, 2012 at 12:10 AM

I like ML’s misunderstanding of how cars work, you think a steel car is better fit for a collision? Hilariously misinformed.

30 Quit being so quick to judge! December 31, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I agree with # 15

People need to LEARN THE FACTS before pointing the finger and being so judge mental. EVERYONE makes mistakes and has an “accident” YES EVEN YOU! Your not perfect NONE of us are. So grow up and take your negative minded self somewhere else!

31 To # 25 Mileena December 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Very snobbish of you! Obviously you don’t know a true classic when you see one! I drive a beautiful brand new car but would love to own a Nova! Beautiful cars!

32 david December 31, 2012 at 12:31 AM

mileena, you are crazy. there is nothing wrong with driving a 74 chevy. had it not wrecked, it would still be on the road years after the heap you drive now would be rusting away in a junk yard somewhere. oh then there is the safety factor. givin a choice between being in an old car or a newer car when old meets new on the road. the old car will win every time. so your air bags in your bmw wont help you when crashing into that 1967 oldsmobile 98. you can take that to the bank.

33 david December 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM

effer,stability control is a wonderfull thing but if it was like you said
‘would have kept the car on the road” none of us would be driving. wed just be drivin around by our cars. we would jump in say “to the mall” and our car would drive us there. and as i said in my previous post, old verses new on the real world road, give me the old car because new ones dont stand a chance against them. its a case of simple physics.

34 heroes December 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Thanks to the firemen and paramedics for all they do, everyday, everywhere. this video shows how well they handle these situations and with a manner thats calming to the victims/people involved. Tragic accident and terrible circumstances, and i hope the family inside the building can recover from the emotional trauma on already such a hard day.

35 Antler December 31, 2012 at 1:46 AM
36 Anon December 31, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Go to YouTube and search for Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air, it shows the difference between how a ’59 Bel Air and a 2009 Malibu handle the classic offset front end collision. There’s not enough money in the world to make me ride in the POS old car. They weren’t designed to take the impact. If the CAR isn’t taking the impact then YOU are. I’d rather my dear Jetta explode into a million pieces than get crushed myself. Yeah old cars look nice and can be interesting, but no thanks. I’ll drive my new car that will take the bullet for me.

37 CoCo Medic December 31, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I was not on the call, but I figured as a Contra Costa AMR medic, I could answer the question why one patient was taken to Highland Hospital in Oakland. John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek is the only trauma center in the county. If John Muir gets an influx of multiple trauma patients around the same time, they will sometimes go on “trauma bypass” which means they are unable to accept any more serious trauma patients while they treat the ones they already have. In those cases, significant trauma patients must be taken to an out of county trauma center. Highland Hospital in Oakland is generally considered the next closest trauma center. They are not to be taken by ambulance to a hospital that is not a trauma center, as those hospitals will not have the specialists and equipment necessary to properly assess and treat a serious trauma patient.

38 CoCo Medic December 31, 2012 at 3:04 AM

That is, in all likelihood, why he was taken to Highland. If he somehow wasn’t determined to be a critical trauma patient in need of a trauma center, there could also be the slim chance he was visiting from Alameda County, and Highland Hospital was his hospital of choice. I find that quite unlikely though.

39 Parsnip December 31, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Drag racing, passengers in vehicles, don’t know if they’re licensed, and a third-party was injured. Hope their parents have umbrella policies in addition to good automotive insurance.

If they aren’t licensed — kids, the wheels on buses go ’round and ’round.

40 DZZL December 31, 2012 at 6:01 AM

@Lola #28 —

The reason that victim was taken to Highland hospital was because John Muir went on “trauma divert” after the first two victims were taken there, which means they could not handle any more trauma victims so the paramedics had to transport to the next nearest trauma center which would be Highland in Oakland.

41 Chevrolet girl December 31, 2012 at 6:42 AM

@ #25 I drive a 1967 Chevelle Malibu that my husband and I restored and I am certainly not embarrassed! I also drove a 1969 Cougar. When I was at a stop light someone doing 35mph hit me. Her newer Buick fell apart while my steel bodied cougar held up pretty well. My 14 year old daughter has a 1941 Ford Pickup truck that she will be driving to school. I would rather have her I that then a smart car! 1974 is not that old, our others cars range from 1933 to 1967.

42 KenInConcord December 31, 2012 at 6:51 AM

@David

I understand the physics of mass, Bigger is better sometimes, But I’ll take technology, crumple zones and air bags over raw metal any day.

Ken D.

43 DanD December 31, 2012 at 7:33 AM

How ironic, just the type of event Radar would have been at!
R.I.P.

44 Suemc December 31, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Kids make mistakes. They hopefully learn from them and move on. It’s called maturity. These kids are lucky it wasn’t more serious. It is awful an innocent person got hurt. If you never did something stupid without thinking of consequences, especially in your teen years, step to the front of the line for the public flogging. Step back and let their families and the hands of justice meek out their punishment.

45 Forever Grateful December 31, 2012 at 7:58 AM

@ DanD
I thought the same thing.
I brought out my camera yesterday & took a few good shots in my yard…gorgeous morning…thinking of Radar. RIP <3

46 Kudos to Craig Cannon for the Photos December 31, 2012 at 8:05 AM

….but remember, Radar was already at the scene!

47 anonoreason December 31, 2012 at 8:15 AM

“Just remember when you start with the “All teenagers are reckless drivers” or “Raise the driving age to 18, because clearly they’re not mature” nonsense, you sound incredibly ignorant.”
~~
…but these kids are licensed, registered and cataloged at the DMV. Killers is what I say. I don’t care if they are insane or not because they alone are responsible for mass murder accross the United States. Ban automobiles. NOW!!! Where are you on this Mr. President?

48 To Antler #35 - Ouimet Bros. Not A Family Company December 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Ouimet Bros. Concord Funeral Chapel is owned by the second largest funeral corporation in the US – Carriage Services. They are a publically traded commpany that buys “family owned” funeral homes and then hide behind the name and, in some cases like with Ouimet Bros., keep on family members to maintain an image. John, Don, Sharon and Bea DO NOTand have not owned the chapel for MANY years. They sold out to this huge corporation. That is why they have “former” and “previous” owner by their names.

49 ale December 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I don’t care how old they are. I do care that they were racing. There needs to be harsh consequences for things like this because they very easily could have killed an innocent bystander and without consequences they won’t learn.

50 perla December 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Coco Medic, thank you for all you do. God bless you and thanks for explaining.

51 to all that think on the downside December 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Both of thoes two boys are my homies. We should be happy their alive an nott another dead person in our community. You shouldn’t have words to speak on their punishment. Yea they were riding and he LOST CONTROL. He wasn’t purposely trying to harm anyone. It was a mistake. And that’s what us teenagers do. V.

52 Blink December 31, 2012 at 8:56 AM

When our kids got their license, they had to pay for their own insurance.
Company gave gave hypothetical rates with one ticket, then 2, rates for one accident, then two….they & we drive with responsibility so not to lose
abiliity to drive…this is way too frequent

53 Palermo December 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM

It’s nothing to do with age, I was totally responsible long before I was 16. By the time I was 11 I had to pick up my little brother from kindergarden, watch him until Mom got home from work. Got dinner started every night, did the laundry, etc. Was working afternoons while in high school for credit. I am so sick of people saying “we were all wild and crazy kids”. No we weren’t. These kids shouldn’t have had passengers or been speeding, totally reckless and dangerous. Thank God more people weren’t hurt or killed.

54 Jeff December 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM

DanD, I was thinking the same thing …..how ironic that Radar, who spent his days chasing the news, had the news finally come to him.

I think these kids are……..kids. But that doesn’t mean their actions should be unpunished. We’ve all done dumb things, at least no one was seriously injured…

55 anon December 31, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Whats funny is this punk who drives the nova was next to me at a red light and was reving his engine trying to race me because I have a camaro but I didnt race and he just took off speeding at the green light. I hope they take his license away, hes an idiot and doesnt deserve to be on the road. And shame on his parents for letting their immature teen drive a dangerous car like that. When my kids become teen there getting a prius or they can ride the bus!

56 John Hemm December 31, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Whatever age the driver was,yoiu could discuss all day about. The rate of speed he or she was driving is what matters….Both Clayton Rd., and Cowell Rd., have become speedways for the yoiung,people wanting to get home faster…..you name it. Almost no one drives the legal speed limit.Sometimes I do,sometimes I don’t,but I certainly don’t drive fast enough to cause that much damage,and that is the real crime here.
As for the older car in the crash? we have several “classic cars” and love and are very proud of them….

57 heshkid December 31, 2012 at 9:51 AM

This comment goes out to all you ignorant people. When you see me cut you off on the road say hi because ill be dusting you out with my civic.

58 Steve Weir December 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Dan D, we thought the same thing as we went to Radar’s viewing, saw the mess at Ouimet’s and learned that they had to move the viewing to the Salvation Army’s site.

p.s., good to see Radar at peace. What a guy.

59 to Anonymous #15 December 31, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Your rant is crazy.

“If this had been a middle-aged man, NOBODY would be as up in arms as they are in these comments.”

Of course everyone would be up in arms! Drag racing on public streets in the middle of the day is stupid & irresponsible, no matter what the age of the driver.

“PLENTY of teenagers are good drivers, better even than many middle-aged people”

This is not about skill, it’s about good judgment & maturity.

I feel sorry for the parents in this case. They will most likely be financially devastated by this, Young drivers should be taught about the financial dangers of driving as well as the physical dangers, but we don’t really think about this. A car can be a very dangerous weapon–easier to get than a gun.

60 Attn: Chevrolet Girl December 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I think your daughter would be much safer in my 1977 Ford Country Squire Wagon. I would be happy to trade you for the ’41 Ford.

61 Parsnip December 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM

@#44 — if, in fact, it is determined to involve drag racing, that’s not a “mistake.” If they turn out to be unlicensed, it’s even more of a problem — not only on them, but on the owners of the vehicles as well.

The immediate families of both drivers already need personal injury attorneys for the passengers and the individual injured in the funeral home.

62 Antler December 31, 2012 at 10:49 AM

#48 ~ ~ ~ I was not challenging you…..was giving others access to their website, on which it clearly states progression of ownership. However, you do need to think about the way your comments imply that the staff there is not capable, honest, and compassionate. My personal experience with them has been otherwise.

63 The Grant December 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

74 Nova vs. Ford Escape? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

64 Concord Taxpayer December 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Agree with Steve Weir. The Ouimets are a great family, and are still involved to some extent in the operations of the funeral home. The fact they are no longer 100% owners is irrelevant.

65 Luna925 December 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM

As parents we also sign our responsibility for our minor’s actions. In fact, he should not have had any passenger with a probationary license. He should lose his license immediately until he’s 18 just for that fact alone. Unfortunately, most parents and teens know that the police turn a blind eye to this. I have a teen driver and he’s been safe but has made some errors. Not as bad as this, but we know this young man and his family. This will devastate them, but it will be a small price to pay. He could have been dead. He could have killed others – MANY others given how many were in that funeral home at the time. Certainly the irony of all this at the place of Radar’s final “assignment” is not lost on us. Did you all see Channel 5 news last night? 11pm? They mentioned our friend Radar.

66 shame December 31, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Kids should not be drivin classics

67 Dorothy December 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Party #1 was 2 teens. Party #2 was 2 teens. Party #3 is at fault for getting in the way. What happen to the rule that underage drivers, even with license, was suppose to have an adult in the vehicle?

68 Keifer December 31, 2012 at 12:13 PM

@ #28 lola: the man who got injured (broken leg) has less significant trauma than the occupants of both cars. Therefore, the occupants of the cars were taken to the closest Trauma Center (John Muir) and the man with the broken leg was taken to the next closest (Highland). The man with the broken leg was stable enough to travel by ambulance to Oakland. Hope that cleared it up.

69 Bea Otch December 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM

My kids will be sharing a gold Pinto until they can save up enough $$ to purchase their own car, gas and insurance.

70 Tree Farm December 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM

You people are morons, plain and simple. Teen drivers are just as capable and responsible and we should be worried about middle aged drivers? What a joke.

Take this to the bank and cash it.

71 Mutts December 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Say what???
This is referred to as a speed contest also as an exhibition of speed! It’s a drag race, get it? A DRAG RACE. Glad no one was killed. These kids need to find a desserted road to do this.

72 NAnny December 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I live in the Clayton area so I travel Claton Rd all the time and I always see people racing. It does not matter if there is traffic or not and I always call the police. I wish the police could focus a little more on Clayton Rd racing.

73 Momma of 4 December 31, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I have had 4 teen drivers, so far no tickets. The youngest, 17 – was just in an accident. Hit by a 60+ year old man that ran a red light totaling my child’s car that he scrimped and saved for working two jobs while playing sports and maintaing a 3.8 GPA. You people who think all teen drivers are reckless and always at fault are just stupid. There are reckless people out there driving of all ages. If this teen was in fact racing or just speeding he should lose his license. As a parent that’s what I would want to happen to my child, in fact if the State didn’t take it away, I would!

74 mileena December 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM

@David #32:

A 1974 is not a classic car in any sense of the word, lol. A 1974 is a heap which belongs in a junk yard.

Also, as the article said:

“None of the injuries appeared to be life-threatening. ”

Therefore, no patient should have been rushed to a trauma center, especially not Oakland.

75 J. December 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Isn’t a ’74 Nova a six banger with less that 250 cubic inches, attached to a 2-speed automatic transmission?

LOL

76 CoCo Medic December 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Mileena,

First off, don’t necessarily believe everything the media or the police department reports about the extent of injuries. During the course of my career, I have been on calls where the media reported someone as having minor injuries, yet in reality the patient wasn’t expected to survive. Secondly, even if the report about the injuries was correct, an injury does not have to be life threatening to meet the criteria for the patient to go to the trauma center. Certain injuries will automatically go to a trauma center regardless, one of which is a femur fracture. That being because the femur is such a strong bone, it takes considerable force to break it, and if that much force was produced, there is a high likelihood of other internal injuries. Other automatic criteria for going to a trauma center include gun shot wounds to the torso, motorcycle accidents with a tender abdomen, and neck injuries with possible paralysis. There are also many times the patient will be taken to the trauma center to err on the side of caution, based on the mechanism of injury. We need you trust us on this sort of thing. We know what we are doing! If you would like more info on criteria for going to a trauma center, you can check out the county EMS website. If there are any other questions, I am more than happy to answer them.

77 Russell December 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

For mileena… Your an idiot.. A 1974 nova isn’t junk it’s a fkn classic. And for every adult on here that is ranting about teenagers & the punishment they should receive shut your face. Fkn claycord warriors acting like your comment will really affect the outcome? buntch of 40 year old men will low testosterone that are mad Af that there not teenagers anymore that have a huge amount of self confidence that sit at home on claycord ripping into teenagers that are probably a little smarter than they were as adolescents…. Because I bet when your ancient ass drove a truck into your dads barn there weren’t old hags tearing your shit apart over the Internet. Times have changed.. But teenagers mind set hasn’t

78 Cowellian December 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding!
We have another “your an idiot” irony award.
Thanks for playing, Russell.

79 Tree Farm December 31, 2012 at 3:52 PM

@ Russell #78

I think you mean “You’re an idiot”. Also, a 74′ Nova is a piece of junk. The 69′ Mustang I drove as a teenage was a classic. Until I wrecked it at age….17.

Seems like you have a lot of confidence and high testosterone to be on Claycord ripping middle age people from behind your keyboard. Gave me a good little laugh, bless your heart! Have fun paying your much higher insurance rates :)

80 Fred P. December 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

@mileena,,,

Another monday-morning armchair quaterback who has no knowledge of the facts.

Idiot.

81 Russell December 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Alright tree farm.. You & all your AARP members ripping me . Make me laugh.. As you guys think that posting comments about the punishment they should receive will make a difference. “Take his license away!” Yea! Like the Clayton PD officers are reading this thinking “shit! I forgot to take the kids license away! Let them do there job we don’t need your old retired mall cop ass to put your 2 cents in. I could understand if you where on the scene and was almost struck by the car then yes be very mad at the kid… But most of theses

82 Russell December 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM

People have nothing to due with the situation.. So get the fk out

83 J. December 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Its suppose to be “YOUR A MORAN”

84 wow December 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Spell check anyone?

85 anon Retired LEO December 31, 2012 at 5:24 PM

“EVERYONE makes mistakes and has an “accident” ”

IT WAS A DRAG RACE – YOU ARE AN IDIOT

“We have also known the Ouimets for decades. They are the salt-of-the-earth and we only hope that their business will not suffer.”

THEY DO NOT OWN IT–THEY GET A SALARY–THEY WILL NOT SUFFER

“I feel sorry for the parents in this case. They will most likely be financially devastated by this,”

GOD..i SURE HOPE SO
WAIT–YOU FEEL SORRY FOR THEM=–YOU ARE AN IDIOT
THEY DID A RACE ON PURPOSE

” working two jobs while playing sports and maintaing a 3.8 GPA.”

WHAT IS GOD’S NAME DOES HIS GPA HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING–EXCEPT TO UP YOUR EGO…WHEN HE IS AT DVC FOR 7 YEARS–GET BACK TO ME….

86 Travis Bickle December 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM

@Russell:

I’m not sure, but I believe your unintelligible comments are supposed to be insulting to someone like me. Fortunately, I’ve had far more intelligent people than you try to insult me, to no avail. Run along now – the adults are talking.

87 Concordian December 31, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I was wrong not same car looks the same but not the same car.

88 Kirk December 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Dear sweet Jesus, I agree with Milleena.

It’s sad that the idea of a classic car hot rod now includes the 74′ nova. What next quasi-homo vampires as heros? What . . . Never mind.

89 pushin' 50 December 31, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Kirk @89 I feel your pain. 20 years ago my friend actually had a gray primered ’74 Nova with a 350, and we argued whether it was a classic or a turd. One of the few fun things about getting old is watching youngsters drool over “classic” cars that we wouldn’t be caught dead in back in the day. I once inherited a mid 90’s Cutlass from a dead relative. It was the worst POS I ever owned, and I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. Now those things are sought out to make “scrapers” with ugly paint and huge rims. I feel blessed to have grown up in the age of cheap and plentiful muscle cars.

90 Rocksteady December 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I say if we make it more expensive to actually get a drivers license and increase the cost after each time it is revoked, people would drive much more carefully.

91 Frustrated December 31, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Does anyone know what injuries were sustained by the people in the cars?

92 ANON December 31, 2012 at 8:08 PM

@mileena you probably are the person who calls911 when your fob wont work and you cant get in the car

93 CoCo Medic December 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I haven’t heard anything; but then again, even if I had heard something, I wouldn’t be allowed to say anything anyway due to federal privacy laws.

94 The Grant January 1, 2013 at 12:42 AM

’74 nova is a POS, the ’66 mustang fastback with 289 HIPO and ’68 chevelle malibu with “three on the tree” that I restored while in high school were classics.

95 Jay January 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Having owned several classic muscle cars , I wouldnt put out the possibility that the throttle linkage stuck or was hung up.

I had this happen in my SS396 Chevelle, very scary moment I broke it loose by bumping the gas pedeal a few times. It ended up being a linkage bracket that had vibrated loose and was hung up on the manifold.

But in reality he probably broke loose and lost control.Lessoned learned.

96 Olivia January 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

This was my Dads funeral. He passed away a week ago suddenly when fishing. It’s not enough closure for me and my family. These kids will pay for what they did. Their families will be speaking with our lawyer very soon.

97 J. January 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Condolences to you, Olivia, and to your family and friends.

98 LH January 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I agree with #51 & #56, and maybe they should all have to do community service at the funeral home to see what that side looks like but to “put them in jail” is SOOOOOO lame, there’s already to many people locked up for things that aren’t violent. But to give a kid a muscle car as their first car is asking for trouble, But would everyone have the same attitude had it been a 61 year old man who’s foot hit the gas instead of the break and crashed into the building. Accidents happens that’s why there called ACCIDENTS. I have a 16 yr old myself and I would hate for him to suffer because some hot headed teenager wants to show off his muscle car. I don’t think he would have been so quick to want to street race had he been in a 88 chrysler lebaron.

99 JET January 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Olivia – my condolences to you and your family for the loss of your father. I didn’t know you or your family, but I have had many services for friends/family at Quimet’s (they are excellent by the way), but reading this story I cannot imagine something like this happening at a service for a loved one which is terrible enough on its own. Bless you all. I hope these kids pay for the physical and emotional damage resulting from their actions.

100 Sorry to say....... January 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM

It’s obvious with the lack of Mileenas knowledge she is NOT AMERICAN! “Just sayin” bet I’m right!

101 Drake January 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I feel for the family having their service at the time off this incident and for the man injured. I’m a 16 year old myself and understand that the teens should be punished but most of you people are saying that they need, “jail time” which is just a joke in my opinion. I believe their licenses should be suspended and be made to do community service hours. People of any age are capable of doing terrible things but you need not blame it on age but on intelligence and knowing from right and wrong. No matter the grade point average people can still make unintelligent decisions. You people should not be so quick to judge but should be thinking rationally and trying to understand the situation. You learn something everyday and the teens that took part in this incident will learn from this and will never forget this and that is a punishment all in itself. To the men and women effected in this incident, I give you my condolences.

102 Shaun Kwong January 2, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Start checking on the rise of delinquent driving before some gets killed.

103 anon January 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM

This needs to be a school zone if these idiots crashed just a 100 feet earlier they would have possibly hit kids playing in a school yard. They need to see real consequences for their actions.