Column – The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2:17pm on Claycord

December 27, 2012 14:17 pm · 26 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2:17pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

Oh my, what should be such a happy week with Christmas, turned into a sad week due to the death of our friend Mike “Radar” Dunn.

I met Radar once, at a cancer walk in Concord. Despite the disease that infected his body, he was so full of life. He talked about how much he enjoyed taking pictures and how much he loved Claycord.com. I only chatted with him for a few minutes, but he left his mark on me. He thanked me for coming up and saying “Hi”, and then gave me the nicest, warmest hug.

I’d like to send my regards to his friends & family. He will be missed.

Cancer is an evil, evil illness. Please, take a few minutes out of your day to learn about the signs & symptoms of cancer. Even if you don’t need the information now, read it and keep it in your mind for the future. I know Radar would want you to do that, because it could save your life.

Click HERE to be redirected to the American Cancer Society’s website.

Moving on….

A few things I saw (and heard) around Claycord this week:

• I saw a man in Todos Santos Plaza with a giant snake wrapped around his shoulders. No dogs are allowed in the park, but man eating snakes are ok.
  • I was at Target the day before Christmas when an employee took off his shirt, threw it on the ground and said “&*$& this place, I’m out”. Haven’t we all wanted to do that at one point in time (without the cussing)?
  • My neighbors took their Christmas Tree down yesterday, the day after Christmas. Claycordians, is that too soon, or do you also take it down immediately after the holiday?

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

To keep your plastic containers from getting stained from tomato based foods, rub the inside with vegetable oil before placing the food in the container.

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2:17pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

This week, it’s a Reese’s Peanut Butter Pie. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy the tasty goodness!

Love you all. R.I.P. Mike.

The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 Bunny December 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM

We all agree Radar was a good dude and will be missed by all. Bless you, Radar.

2 Cowellian December 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Was it a dog-eating corn snake?

3 JenA December 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

My buddy tossed her tree at Christmas night. Said she was tired of the needles getting every where and wanted the house back to “normal”.

4 Twelve days December 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Am I the only one that celebrates the 12 days of Christmas out to Epiphany on January 6? Why would you take down your tree or decorations so early?

5 momo December 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

My tree comes down depending on how close it is to my garbage day. I’ve taken it down on Christmas night before so it gets out on garbage day the next day. I hate leaving my tree up till new years. Thursday is my garbage day so my tree was out last night. I’ve had it up since thanksgiving weekend though, so it was really dried out.

6 jtkatec December 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Twelve Days, I try to keep my tree up as long as possible. Last year was to the last week of January, then it got iffy on the burn-ability.

I’m hoping to get to February this year.

7 Jojo Potato December 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I didn’t cuss but I did quit my job last September pretty abruptly. I was doing I.T. things for a medical group. We already had been outsourced but the last straw was that I was now responsible for training my Indian replacement since the job was going to be done from overseas. It started out OK, but then quickly became obvious that he had no clue. So one day I walked into the bosses office, slapped by security badge on her desk and said
“This isn’t working out. I quit. Have a nice day”
And walked out. Funniest part was that the boss quit a couple weeks later and the I.T. VP got fired. Pretty much a clean sweep!

8 kiarfy December 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

The twelve days of christmas I celebrate–I don’t leave my christmas tree up after the new year. I usually celebrate the 12 days before christmas day.

9 MO December 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Rest in peace Radar….you will be missed.

10 Cowellian December 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM

We usually take the tree down on New Years, but last year, we kept it up much longer. Our son couldn’t get time off from work until mid-January, so we left the tree up until he got here. The tree was downright crispy once we took it down, but our son sure appreciated having it.

11 Killjoy December 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM

We took the tree down yesterday. The cats thought it was another climbing/scratching plaything for them.

12 ArmydadCA December 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM

We have a fake tree and yes, it stays up until the Epiphany, as does the nativity scene in the front yard. Then it comes down as fast as I can get it done.

Then its all back to what ever normal was before I went ape shit with the decorations.

RIP Radar, I see your signs every where – RADAR IS WATCHING – I’m sure you are.

13 Em Dubya December 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

After New Years – a family tradition. I remember my dad putting our ENTIRE dried out tree in our huge brick fireplace in a great old house that used to be in the rural part of Claycord. The fire was so huge that there were flames shooting 6 feet out of the top of the chimney. If it weren’t for the old fashioned brick construction the house would have burned (they were hot for a day after). Nowadays the police would show up…..

14 G Non December 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Oh man! I would of loved to see that guy at Target!

15 PH Fan December 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM

We leave it up through NY and then take it down on the closest weekend. Although, it is pretty dry already. But I love Christmas and this year was a really great one…

16 ChampagneKitty December 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

to Killjoy–I haven’t brought home flowers in a long time for the same reason. My cats think that flowers are VERY interesting.

17 Renee December 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM

So glad you’re back! I look forward to reading your column when I get home from work and chillax.

18 Cracky McGee December 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I would NEVER, EVER quit a job without 2 weeks notice … I refuse to burn bridges and would never screw with my coworker’s schedules & expect them to pick up my slack!

Reese’s Peanut Butter Pie? Holy cow! YUMMMMMMM

Thank you for the link to the American Cancer Society’s website!

19 Anon December 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Don’t laugh but we took our tree down. Christmas Day. I am always anxious to get it up but just as anxious to get it down. Plus my husband has to work the next 11 days. I couldn’t wait any longer

20 anonokat December 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I’m taking mine down tonight, already started in fact. I took a quick break to look at Claycord, and then I’m back at it. I usually take it down on Christmas day, so this is late for me. Mine is a fake tree, but I still just like to clean everything up and get ready for New Year’s Eve.

21 Killjoy December 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM

@Champagne Kitty. Thanks for the info. I was just thinking the other day that it had been a while since I sent flowers to my wife. I guess I’ll send them to her office instead. ;)

As for quitting jobs and burning bridges…….
I had quit a job in April of 2011. Gave notice, and they even gave me a going away party.
Went to the new place….. Got laid off ten months later.
The place I left in April of 2011 hired me back in March of 2012. Yeah, don’t burn bridges.

22 Horse'n Around December 28, 2012 at 7:21 AM

We put up our tree about 3 1/2 weeks bfore Christmas. ( It’s fake ). And after seeing it for so long in my house, I say the day after Christmas ” so long.” See you next year.

23 Weekend After NYE For Us December 28, 2012 at 7:40 AM

We usually keep our decorations in place until the weekend after New Years Eve. We also run our lights through Jan 1, then they’re turned off – and taken down with the rest of the decorations. Our tree was still soaking up tons of water until I stopped adding it yesterday so it would dry out some.

What I cant stand about holiday decorating: people who leave their lights on their house throughout the entire year! Incredibly lazy and trashy to look at.

24 NiftyBlog December 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Yeah…never burn those bridges I say, unless your boss is a snake. My boss is, if he pisses me off, I’ll go back to contract work and leave without notice.

The US and other countries should stop outsourcing their IT and other work. The pay is cheaper overseas, but we really do get what we pay for. Greed does not pay.

25 Mimi (original) December 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Traditionally I would take the tree down on New Year’s Day or on the weekend after it, but this year I bought a Living Tree, so I’ll probably take the ornaments and lights off on NY day and transplant the little bugger into the front yard over the weekend. I can’t wait to wait it grow bigger every year! The offspring asked if we were going to continue to decorate it outside…with all the vandals around, I think that would be asking for trouble, but I might go with the “bush” lights. Happy New Year!!

26 annon December 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM

A facebook friend was crowing about how she took her tree down by 10:30am on Christmas day! Her poor kids.