Mike “Radar” Dunn Has Passed Away

December 26, 2012 12:45 pm · 232 comments

radar

Our wonderful friend, Mike “Radar” Dunn, has passed away.

He was found this morning, in bed, at his home in Concord.

Radar was a photographer for Claycord.com and the Clayton Pioneer, and previously a photographer for the Concordian and the Contra Costa Times.

Many of you might not know this, but much of his recent photography is on display on the walls of the Concord Police Department. He was very proud that the police reached out to him, asking if they could use his pictures to post throughout the building. We were very proud of him, too. He took pride in his work and was always willing to go out in the middle of the night to take pictures of a breaking news event, or spend his weekend helping to bring awareness to fundraisers for sick children in Claycord.

He touched many lives through his beautiful and emotional photography, and as his friend, I can say he loved the Claycord community, and was deeply moved when many of you donated money to help him keep his health insurance while suffering from stage-4 liver cancer, which started in his esophagus.

One of Radar’s favorite movies was “It’s a Wonderful Life”. I’m guessing somewhere, a bell rang when Radar passed away.

I will keep you updated on any plans for a memorial service. His family, who lives out of state, is expected to arrive in Claycord on Friday.

R.I.P. buddy, we love you and we’ll miss you so much.

201 Clayton Cate December 27, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Mike/Radar was so upbeat and strong through the whole struggle with his cancer. What an amazing person he was and what a legacy he leaves to us all. I also met him a couple of times and like Sinn Feiner says, he seemed very down to earth and approachable. I hope our thoughts and prayers follow him to heaven where he can now be pain free at last. He’ll definitely have a Fast Track pass through the pearly gates!

202 Laurie December 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. I live in the Sacramento area now but lived in Concord for over twenty five years. I knew Mike/Radar very well. We were friends for over 20 years. I was up in Idaho for Christmas with my family and just got back tonight. I wasn’t aware that he was so close to passing. I just got an email from him a few days before I left for Christmas. I didn’t have his new address or phone yet so I hadn’t spoken to him recently.
He was so proud of the work he did for Claycord. He loved to do photography and he considered all of you on Claycord as friends. He was so thankful for all of you that helped him financially so he would be able to keep his insurance and I want to thank you, too. He was a really sweet person and a good friend. I will miss him a lot. Rest in peace, my friend.

203 ratstalker December 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Sad to hear. Prayers to his family and friends. I’m sad to have never actually met him.

204 Scott December 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Thank You Radar, for all your contributions to Claycord. I sure did appreciate them.

205 Tami December 27, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I can remember fist reading he was sick, it didn’t seem to long ago. I am so sorry to hear of his passing. My prayers for his family. Great photographer, and a witty man. God Bless, and rest on peace.

206 Bob Freeman December 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I’m very sorry to hear this. He was a really talented guy and his contributions to this site were great. Rest in peace, Radar.

207 rkt December 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM

RIP Radar, you were a community asset.

208 Doctor J December 27, 2012 at 6:59 AM

The heavens weep and so should we. He had a talent and shared it with all the world. Radar will be missed.

209 CreekDiva December 27, 2012 at 7:39 AM

My condolences to his family and friends.

I had met him a few times when he was doing some work for WC Patch. Nice guy.

210 Annon from Antioch December 27, 2012 at 7:50 AM

RIP Mike Dunn.

211 MeAnon December 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Mayor this is the saddest news ever, my heart is breaking for you. We all feel your pain from the lost of your wonderful friend Radar.
Radar you were such a BIG special part in this community and will be missed so much. I am hoping you passed easily……..thinking….”It’s been a Wonderful Life” and the bells were ringing as you got your heavenly wings. Memories of you will live on forever.

Dying
I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!”

“Gone where?”

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear the load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!” There are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: “Here she comes!!”

And that is dying.

-Henry Van Dyke

212 Almondgirl December 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM

So sorry to hear about Radar passing.
He and his pictures will be missed.
Condolences to his family, Mr.Mayor and all of the Claycord community for the loss of someone who gave so much to all of us.
The stars in the sky will shine a little brighter with Radar among them now.

213 The Concordian December 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I was off line and just learned of Mike’s passing. While I had the pleasure to work with Mike in his early years at the Concordian, I do know that we should remember that Mike was lucky to be able to do what he loved, and in the process met so many people who cared for him as well. He became a Claycord celebrity and I know that he enjoyed all those aspects of his life. We were fortunate to have known him.

214 Jeff December 27, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Damn . . .way too quick and soon . . . R.I.P

:*(

215 DUHHH3x DUI December 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM

YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS GONNA MAKE IT TO 2013. RIP RADAR SOUNDS LIKE YOU WENT IN PIECE

216 Ladymar December 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Peace be with you Radar. You will be missed here, but heaven has a new angel with a camera.

217 anon December 27, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I’ll miss his photos. I hope he has peace now. rest in peace radar.

218 Man in Tan December 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Rest in Peace Radar. Sadly, we knew this day was coming when his situation was announced. I never had the honor of meeting him but it’s still a shock to see news like this about good people. He’ll be missed here but his pictures will live on. Calm winds and a following sea on your voyage Radar.

219 John Hemm December 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Less than a year ago,Mike called me and needed a ride to the hospital in Walnut Creek,it was around 7 at night. I went over,picked him up,took him over to Kaiser in W.C,stayed with him for a couple of hours,finally told him to give me a call when he needed a ride home. Never once did he disclose the serious nature of his visit….about a year and a half ago,I took him to lunch,then he told me he had liver cancer,but he never brought it up again. I’ll miss my friend,Mike.
xoxoJohn Hemm

220 Clayton_Raider December 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I offer my heartfelt condolences to his surviving family. Godspeed, Radar and thank you.

221 The Mamba December 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM

That’s awful, he was a great contributor to the community and a stand up guy.

222 still anon December 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Thank you Radar for all the amazing pictures you shared with us. May you rest in peace.

223 Michelle Eberhart December 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM

So very sad about the passing of Radar. Truly one of the most genuine and nicest people I have ever met. Always one to have a smile on his face, and everything he did was with a positive attitude. He took personal attention in sending me photographs that he had taken and we even exchanged recipes a few times. He was dedicated to this community and loved it with all of his heart. He will be truly missed.

224 Bubba December 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Is it Mike’s wife who runs the chocolate shop in Concord?
:-(

225 CLAYCORD.com December 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM

@Bubba, no, Radar didn’t have a wife.

Mayor

226 cornfed December 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Very sad to hear.

227 Bob Dottery December 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Mike & I went back to the DVC days in the early 1970’s. Thanks to Facebook I was able to reconnect. He was doing what he wanted to do; photojournalism…livin’ the dream. Rest in Peace my friend.

228 Amazed December 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I’m sorry that Mike “Radar” Dunn has passed away. May his friends and loved ones find comfort in the days and years ahead.

229 Cap'n Nick December 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM

This is definitely not the post that I was hoping to see here after a few days away from the site. Radar will be greatly missed. I hope I will be able to attend the service.

230 Janis Mara December 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Oh, no, I didn’t visit Claycord.com for a few days, and just saw this post about Radar. He was a wonderful photographer and I’m so glad I ran into him at an Open Carry event (he was photographing, I was reporting) and had a chance to speak with this warm, open, good soul. This is such a huge loss to the whole community. I love what some people said about no more pills or ordeals for Mike – and another comment, he is now with God.

231 R.I.P Radar December 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM

You will be missed. Heaven beware; Radar is watching.

232 annemarie boyland December 29, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He was a selfless kind unassuming person. May we all strive to those qualities.