The Water Cooler – Sports on Christmas

December 25, 2012 12:00 pm · 20 comments

The “Water Cooler” is a feature on Claycord.com where we ask you a question or provide a topic, and you talk about it!

The “Water Cooler” will be up Monday-Friday in the noon hour.

For the last 65-years (besides 1998), the National Basketball Association (NBA) has played at least one basketball game every year on Christmas Day.

Should the NBA (and the entire sports world) take a break on Christmas Day, or do you like watching sports on Christmas?

Talk about it….

{ 20 comments }

1 Mr. John December 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

No break.

People in entertainment are paid to entertain when people want to be entertained. There are a lot of people that desire to have sports available to distract them during the holidays. A good game is a nice distraction for people with nowhere to go on the holidays, or for people trapped with friends/family that may be hard to take in large amounts.

Does it suck to have to work on the holiday? Yes. However, there are parts of every job that suck. If you think that working on holidays is unaccpetable, work to find a job that is more acceptable to you.

2 Brian Marchiano December 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I’m far too busy watching the Heat vs. Thunder game to have an opinion.

3 frambley1 December 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM

There is truly noting that I could possibly care less about. I am not interested in ever watching grown men play games with a ball. Why would I care about who is better at throwing, catching, or kicking a ball?

4 Teacher Wannabe December 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Break. Even the players deserve a day with family. Plus, Biggest sports day of the year is Boxing Day (the day after Christmas). English Premier league and associated divisions have, like, 40 games. Enough to burn out my DVR in 1 day.

5 Connie Dobbs December 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM

#3 I admire you greatly.
3/10 and it’ll work like a voodoo charm.

6 Triple Canopy December 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM

The NBA is a private enterprise and can do as they damned please. But I’m surprised the players’ union hasn’t made it part of their contract. On the other hand, they could be a stupid as the NHL and have no games at all.

Remember what happened to Hostess??? Yup, the bakers union killed the company and now 18,000 don’t have jobs. Way to go bakers! That’s showing them who is boss! Have fun in the unemployment line and on union welfare.

7 Break! December 26, 2012 at 7:22 AM

The players should spend the time with family and loved ones!

AND the people in the U.S. are getting FAT & UNFIT & UNHEALTHY from spending too much time sitting still, and eating. So turn off the TV and get outdoors – go for a walk in the fresh air! Don’t sit around indoors, watching a game!

8 Sport are part of America December 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

@frambley1
Would you ever watch Ballet or a live band? These are grown men who are showcasing their talents. No different from the Ballet or theatre. Have you ever been succesful at sports and seen what it takes to be succssful.

9 Mac December 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Got to have the NBA playing on the TV while you open the gifts.
Just mute it, so it doesn`t mess with the wife`s Christmas music, and we`re all good.
The guys are happy, and so are the women.

Just don`t shout out loud, when your team does something good.
And they`ll be cool with it.

Then after the gifts are opened, it`s time to turn off the mute.

Holidays need sports on TV for the Dad`s/Grandpa`s
Halloween,Christmas, New Year`s Day, Thanksgiving all are just that much better, when a good game is on the tube

10 Dragon December 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I think it’s important to remember that not everyone is Christian. We may be forced to take the day off work, but that doesn’t mean we don’t want to be entertained. I can entertain myself, with Netflix and books and the internet and, of course, watching my nephews be little boys. But it’s nice to still have some modern day amenities be available, like movie theaters, sporting events, and even grocery stores.

Likewise, if it doesn’t violate the religious ethic of the people who are playing, why shouldn’t they play?

Maybe these players celebrate Christmas with their families on the 24th, or on Boxing Day, or maybe they aren’t Christian at all so the 25th is just another day.

11 Vindex December 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Love sports, But they should take a break

12 Lake December 26, 2012 at 9:04 AM

With a national trend away from religion, will the labor contracts eventually be changed to eliminate premium pay on Sundays?

13 JW December 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Play if you want to. Just don’t expect me to watch it. I have better things to do than watch grown men throw a ball through a hoop. I’d rather watch seals bounce a ball through a hoop at Sea World during the Summer.

14 suck it up... December 26, 2012 at 9:53 AM

The troops get to work during Christmas, and if I remember correctly so do firefighters, policemen and EMS services. what about those guys? If they can work during Christmas, then any athlete that gets paid millions can do it without complaining .

15 Rich December 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Hey didn’t the Mayor work on Christmas Day

16 CLAYCORD.com December 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Yes, I did Rich, I work every day. Thanks for noticing :)

17 AH December 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

@Teacher Wannabe

What is your opinion of having a winter break for the Premiere League? I know this time of the season is exciting by having 5 matches in 2 weeks but other leagues in Europe have 2 weeks or 4 weeks off at around this time. I think that becomes an advantage for German and Spanish clubs and national teams when it comes to the champions league and world cup/euro.

I know the SPL has a 2 week break that starts right after new years.

18 Jojo Potato December 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM

@AH : I certainly enjoyed seeing Liverpool get clobbered today. Don’t you think that teams like Stoke are changing the game? Liverpool was doing the usual passing here and there but Stoke was right in their net all the time. Exciting stuff at least to my mind. I don’t know about the breaks, but I do know that the euro soccer players are about the most fit athletes in any sport. When they take off their shirt, the women folk in my house practically faint.

19 Teacher Wannabe December 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM

All I know/or care is GO SPURS! (North London, NOT San Antonio)

20 AH December 26, 2012 at 10:51 PM

@Jojo Potato

I’m not sure if you can say Stoke are changing the game but they do play a more physical, direct style of play that can affect the traditional top table clubs. They do have a unique culture in the club that is instilled by Tony Pulis, and they have been establishing themselves as a premiere league club. I still remember when Rory Delap would make his long throws!

Yes they are in good shape. The seasons over there last 9 months or so, then the players have the international tournaments every other summer.

@Teacher Wannabe

I hope Tottenham make it to the top 4 because they were fun to watch in the Champions League, and its nice to see a new club make it without doing what Manchester City did (take point from Borussia Dortmund). I think if Tottenham are consistent in the second half of the season then they can make it, however it will be more difficult with Everton and Arsenal around.