The NORAD Santa Tracker is Now Online

December 24, 2012 8:45 am · 5 comments

santa

Want to track Santa? The NORAD Santa Tracker is now online.

He’s on the other side of the World right now, but before you know it, he’ll be in Claycord.

Click ON THIS LINK to track Santa Claus and view videos of Santa traveling around the World.

{ 5 comments }

1 Dragon December 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Here’s the official history of the NORAD Santa Tracker program, from Wikipedia:
***
The program began on December 24, 1955 when a Sears department store placed an advertisement in a Colorado Springs newspaper which told children that they could telephone Santa Claus and included a number for them to call. However, the telephone number printed was incorrect and calls instead came through to Colorado Springs’ Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD) Center. Colonel Shoup, who was on duty that night, told his staff to give all children that called in a “current location” for Santa Claus. A tradition began which continued when the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) replaced CONAD in 1958.

Today, NORAD relies on volunteers to make the program possible. Each volunteer handles about forty telephone calls per hour, and the team typically handles more than 12,000 e-mails and more than 70,000 telephone calls from more than two hundred countries and territories. Most of these contacts happen during the twenty-five hours from 2 a.m. on December 24 until 3 a.m. MST on December 25. Google Analytics has been in use since December 2007 to analyze traffic at the NORAD Tracks Santa website. As a result of this analysis information, the program can project and scale volunteer staffing, telephone equipment, and computer equipment needs for Christmas Eve. Volunteers include NORAD military and civilian personnel.
***
(This conforms well to most histories I’ve heard about the program, if a little shorter.)

2 Dear Santa, December 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I’ve been naughty, but I can explain…

3 Kai December 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I have such treasured memories of listening to the NORAD reports on KSFO back in the 1960s as we drove to my grandmother’s house on Christmas Eve. I would look out the window all the way, just hoping for a glimpse of eight tiny reindeer….
And then one Christmas Eve 40 years later, as I’m getting my own daughter to bed, she is looking out the front window and is so excited because she sees Rudolph in the sky. Rudolph, with his nose so bright, approaching a landing….well enough to say that she went quickly to bed. And the next morning by the tree was a note from Santa saying his hat had dropped off as he made his approach, and if we found it could we send it back to the North Pole? And sure enough when we went outside to search, way up in a thorny bush there was Santa’s cap.
It is a good day to make a memory. All of the people in these two favorite memories, except for my daughter, are gone, but I will always have those memories. And since I can still share the stories their memory lives on.
Enjoy the day….go make a memory!

4 Screwy Louie December 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Too close for missles, switching to guns!

5 jtkatec December 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Dear Santa, as I get older I find I need less in gifts, and more in health, less in striving to obtain, and more in contentment.

I know that contentment and health may be difficult to wrap, so thanks for whatever you might leave under the tree.