Suspicious Man Knocking on Door at 4am

December 24, 2012 9:12 am · 49 comments

An anonymous Claycordian wants to spread the word about a suspicious incident that occurred at 4am on Sunday morning near Concord High School.

Here’s the information….

I live in a neighborhood near Concord High School. My family was rudely awakened at 4:12 AM this morning by someone knocking on my front door.

Needless to say I wasn’t expecting visitors at that time. My barking dogs woke me from my sleep. Instead of answering the door, I opened a second story window overlooking my front porch and asked, “What do you want?” Hearing no immediate reply, I said, “The police have been called, what do you want?” A male subject responded with an apology, stumbled with his words, but didn’t state his business. Again I asked, “What do you want?”. Hearing an unintelligible reply, I closed the window, went to the telephone and called Concord Police.

About two minutes later, I saw a male subject, Caucasian, tall and slender, wearing dark pants and a red short sleeve shirt, NO JACKET or weather gear, walking on the sidewalk past my house.

He then disappeared up the street out of my site.

I just want everyone to know that this happened to me and wonder if anyone else was visited like this?

Good job calling the police and letting the suspicious person know that you were home. Never be afraid to call 911 if you feel you’re in danger.

Be safe, everybody!

{ 49 comments }

1 CCW December 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

First thing I would have done was loaded my gun and then I would try to communicate. If someone is knocking on your door at 4 a.m. it is usually for a home invasion or a burglary.

2 anon December 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Seems like just a drunk guy. Here are a few questions tho, do you have a daughter? did you buy a foreclosed home in last 10 years? Is your wife cheating on you? Are you cheating on your wife with a man?

3 Don't Censor Me Bro December 24, 2012 at 9:45 AM

A.C – you did well! Thanks for sharing!

Merry Christmas

4 @ Writer December 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Sorry that your Christmas peace was disturbed, am hoping it was just a random drunk. Good call to contact CPD, a coatless drunk at 4:00 probably is not that hard to locate.

5 Blah Blah blah December 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Sounds like a drunk to me too. Needless to say I still will pump my shotgun next to the door after dark (ask the fedex guy). That usually scares them off.

6 Beaver December 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Anon. Idiot.

7 oh brother! December 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM

i was sitting in my bedroom two saturdays ago and heard a knock at the front door at 10:30 a.m., then they rang the bell, then they tried to get in. i never answer any more unless i’m expecting someone. i was creeped out by it. i would have been really creeped out if it was 4:10 a.m. even if it is a drunk, the person is up to no good.

8 Claycordanon December 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I had to call the Concord Police once cause someone parked their car in front of my house and it stayed there for a week, never moving. Ends up it was a drunk who lived a few blocks away and forgot where he left his car. I think you had someone so drunk he thought your house was his home.

9 Jeff December 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I usually wait to see what happens if it’s not someone I know. If they kick my door down, it would be the wrong thing to do.

That being said, hope this was simply a drunk who lost his way and found his way home.

Merry Christmas to all, be safe and enjoy the time with your families!

10 Ridiculous December 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Ok, now all the tough guys can come out with their “gun” stories. How many of you have actually used them in a domestic situation? How many of you have had your guns stolen?
I say thank God for Piers Morgan, and keep up the good work!

11 k December 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM
12 Jazzguy December 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Why take a chance? Lock and Load then call the Police. If it is a wayward drunk, then the Police know what to do next. If it is a burglar, then he (most likely a he) is eligible for a buckshot sandwich, or, if he is lucky, an arrest.
Be vigilant.
Unless, of course, you want to be a statistic.

13 Parsnip December 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

@#2 — You sound like a seasoned pro with some sage advice. Tell us how your questions fit in with this person’s occurrence.

14 Scott December 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Agree with #7, unless its accompanied by a phone call before or during, my door doesnt get answered

15 Jeff December 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

#10

I have used my firearm in a self defense situation. Had nothing to do with “being tough” – it had to do with saving my life. Take that and stuff it in your stocking this Christmas….

By the way, I’ve NEVER had a firearm stolen, misused, or had to shoot it at a person.

Piers Morgan is as full of sh&t as your post was.

16 Blah Blah blah December 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM

@Ridiculous at #10

Never said I have used it or that it is loaded just the pump sound of a shotgun is enough for most. I am actually in favor of stricter gun laws in my mind you should have to pump or chamber each round your self. Semi auto and full auto have no place in society.

17 Mtzbee December 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM

So what!!! A Bad guy is not going to knock on your door! Just tell him wrong house And let him get on his way!

18 Connie Dobbs December 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM

When I was a kid of a girl back in Oakland, I was the moron who not only buzzed random guy in at 5am, I assumed it was my boyfriend stopping by on his way to work, so I opened my door for him. When I came back in the front room, there’s random guy looking at me like he couldn’t believe I was that stupid. I was bright enough to put the kitchen counter (and the knife rack) between he and I while I gave him what-for, and he left without incident.

19 @ MtzBee December 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Glad to know you can you predict bad guy’s intention (or lack thereof) because they knock on the door. For the rest of us, who live in the real world, it is quite common that a bad guy might knock on the door to see if someone is home, and leave if there is an answer. But, thanks for playing.

20 Phoenyx December 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Shotgun pump is possibly one of the most intimidating sounds out there. Highly effective.

I live close enough to Concord High to where I will be on the lookout for this guy.

21 cool story bro... December 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I agree with Mtzbee…doesn’t seem like this situation is worth making a fuss. It was probably a drunk or maybe even someone who needed help. Chill out.

22 Laura Zah December 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Jeff, me too. Nobody got shot & bad guy went to jail.

23 blitzen December 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

He obviously had the wrong address and too much to drink.
Robbers usually don’t knock at that hour. Most know no one will answer the door. It was Uncle Frank!

24 Double 'OO' December 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Just LOVE the sound of a Mossberg in the morning.

25 cautious December 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Could very well be someone at the wrong house, about to head up to go skiing for example.

26 City Girl December 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Wrong house!

In the past few months on about 3 or 4 occasions, I have had someone knock or ring my doorbell, and when I go to look out my window, there is no one there. It does scare me a wee bit, and I wonder if he/she is staking out my house to see if I’m home. I live off Thornwood.

27 Calamity Jane December 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM

The thing I’ve noticed about the gun rabid is that they tend to jump immediately to paranoia. Who knows what this guy’s intentions were, whether he was a harmless drunk or had malice in mind. But I notice the gun peeps want to go into Lock and Load mode in a New York Second.

As a woman, I immediately think, Big Gun, Little Package.

28 Anon December 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM

This guy was either drunk or had suffered a stroke. And I am not trying to make a joke about saying it could be a stroke because a family member had one and they were stumbling around not able to make out a sentence, much like someone that had a few too many.

29 JRConcord December 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I am thinking of buying a S&W .500 magnum for home defense. Or in case we are overrun by Zombie Dinosaurs.

30 Jazzguy December 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Calamity- As previously noted, Be vigilant. Maybe you haven’t noticed, but the crime is on the rise here in paradise-particularly robbery and burglary. You can go reason with him if you want, but my guess is that he is unreasonable.You are better off calling the Police, especially if you want to see another package of any kind.

Blah-Semi auto is legal. Fully auto has been illegal since the 1930′s (Thompson machine gun).

31 Suburban Dad December 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I have a few guns and I keep a loaded one near my bed ( better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it ) I generally am not the paranoid type and I generally don’t answer the door with gun in hand but if someone knocks on my door in the dark early morning then I’ll heve a gun in my hand. Maybe it’s just a drunk and maybe not.

32 poppypants December 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM

maybe it was some guy with a pregnant wife looking for a manger

33 J. December 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Instead of a weapon, buy a steel-security-door. I have no qualms about opening my door, day or night, and every time I do, it turns out to be something legit.

I have helped many neighbors by opening my door day or night, with the security of knowing nothing bad can happen.

The steel door door gives you a layer of security, so you can open your front door without worry.

34 JG27 AD December 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM

#10 (Ridiculous)
When Piers Morgan has finished guarding your home will you please loan him out to some other needful household.

Thanks!!
AD

35 True December 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM

i’m lucky i’m married once it turns dark I never answer the door my husband does. But he look s out the window first to see if its some one we know. Then yeals what do ypu want?. We also have a alarm and being we are retired we have it set all the time.I’m so used to it now I never set it off by mistake. A few times I have and I’m glad to say the police are hear so fast.We noth know how too shoot also.

36 @Jazzguy December 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I never implied that I wouldn’t be cautious in a situation like this, only that some of the keyboard jockies here immediately start typing about pumping up their shotguns or getting ready to blast the dude with buckshot.

The mere mention of some random guy knocking on their door sends them into a Lock and Load tizzy. It’s rather comical and pathetic at the same time.

Love, Jane

37 Russell moebius December 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I was driving home from work early Sunday morning (3:45am) on Concord Blvd. by Glazier dr. and I saw this person. Red shirt, no cold weather gear on, trying to flag myself & the one other car on the road down from the bike lane.

38 ptpauly December 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

One answer, get a large dog, keeps the “strays” away. Best burglar alarm. Post a sign on back door, my dog can reach the gate in 3 seconds, can you?

39 anon December 24, 2012 at 6:42 PM

@Parsnip/#13

I must admit that last question was pretty stupid, i wasn’t serious on that one, but other questions do fit with this persons situation. If he has a daughter, then maybe its her boyfriend. If they bought a foreclosed home then its possible a past owner obviously drunk tried to go to his old home. If his wife is cheating on him then the guy might be drunk wanting to hook up. the guy was drunk and doing something he probably doesn’t do normally.

40 ed December 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM

@parsnip what’s that movie called where the guy’s yelling ‘STELLA’? havent you ever seen the box office hit where brook shields should have won an award for her acting skills? where somethings going wrong w/ her boyfriend and he wants to get her attention i believe by starting a little fire at her house but he ends up burning the house up pretty bad.

41 Rudely Awakened December 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM

@37 Russell moebius – That fits for being the same guy. I guess he didn’t want to hang around for assistence from CPD.

42 Anon December 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Did anyone consider this might be a sleep walker? Based on the lack of response when talked to. I have a couple people in my family that had pretty serious sleep waking problems, usually just walking around the house though. I have heard of people going outside doing crazy things sleep walking.

43 Darwin December 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Tweekers

44 kiarfy December 25, 2012 at 1:32 AM

That is a street car called desire.

45 Chevrolet girl December 25, 2012 at 8:24 AM

When you are home alone at ten at night with your two teenage girls and someone throws their body into your door to get in, damn right I lock and load! This happened twice within a month and it was obvious someone was home.

46 Atticus Thraxx December 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Sucks you have to deal with that Chevrolet girl. Make sure your girls know how to use that weapon in case you can’t. Not just show them, but take them somewhere to fire it. Sorry if I come across condescending and your already all over it.

47 Anon December 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Probably an Ambien episode.

48 kirk December 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Some of these guys are tweekers looking for an easy score. People not at home for the holidays are a prime target. We have one by clayton way, scummy looking white dude on a bike 155# short brown hair black raincoat and a black jacket underneath with red and white stripes. Saddle bags on bike.

5 of them live in the trailer park by clayton way, 5 more live in the crappy apartments. Most are “early release due to overcrowding.” One of my neighbors got robbed 2 days ago.

49 Chevrolet girl December 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

@ Atticus Traxx you didn’t come across as condescending at all, they definitely need to take a class. Thinking you can use one and actually doing are two different thing. Thanks for looking out!