Column – The Real Housewife of Claycord – The Plane Crash, an ATM Machine, Caffino & More

December 20, 2012 14:17 pm · 30 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2:17pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

What a week of “h-e-double-hockey-sticks” it’s been at the mall this week.

As many of you might remember, I have a part-time job at the mall, pretty much just to pay for the PG&E bill at our house.

The mall has a lot of things I could talk about during the holiday season, but I won’t, because there’s only one thing I would like to focus on….the deadly plane crash that happened on December 23, 1985.

The Real Housewife of Claycord was only a housewife in training back in 1985. I was nine years old, and I happened to be at the mall with my Dad that night.

We had just walked away from Macy’s near the old fountain in the middle of the mall when the plane struck. I can remember hearing a loud crunching sound, followed by an extreme feeling of heat and then very loud screaming. I don’t remember much from that horrible night, but what I do remember is the worst thing I’ve ever witnessed.

One man, who had severe burns all over his upper body, fell into the fountain and was immediately pulled out by my dad. I could remember what looked like steam coming off the man’s body. My Dad, fearing for my safety, then grabbed me and ran as fast as he could. We made it home that night and my Dad cried for the next three days straight. Looking back at it now, he was probably in shock. He talks about it now, but also has a hard time remembering things, probably because he blocked it out. Every year since the plane crash, we all go back to the center-court of the mall, and as a family, say a little prayer for the victims and their families.

This time of year is hard to deal with tragedy. Whether it’s losing somebody to AIDS, cancer, a shooting, a plane crash, a car crash, or some other horrible incident, no family should have to deal with that during what’s supposed to be such a happy time of the year.

Please honor those who lost their lives this year, and remember their families. Take a moment out of your busy schedule, and when you’re having a happy moment this holiday season, set aside a second to remember those who are no longer with us.

I know Mr. Mayor always posts a story about the anniversary of the plane crash, but I would also like to remember those who died at the Sunvalley Mall on December 23, 1985.

Here are their names:

• 67-year-old James Graham
  • 23-year-old Brian Oliver
  • 48-year-old John Lewis
  • 22-year-old Pamela Stanford
  • 49-year-old Chandrika Shah
  • 45-year-old Patricia Larson
  • 14-month-old Alexander Luong

Please remember at least one of their names this holiday and include them in your thoughts & prayers. Thank you so much.

Moving on….

A few things I saw (and heard) around Claycord this week:

• Caffino is open once again on Treat Boulevard. I talked to the manager and she said they have a new owner. Yay!
  • Why is the ATM machine taking so long to complete in Dianda Plaza? They have been working on that thing for months now.
  • I chatted with an employee of El Torito the other day, he said they are expecting to close the restaurant sometime in the next two months. So sad. As Mr. Mayor reported, it will be demolished and turned into a new restaurant called the Lazy Dog Cafe.
  • I LOVE downtown Pleasant Hill. It is so beautiful. That’s it, check out Downtown Pleasant Hill if you haven’t had a chance, they really did a nice job with the lights this year.

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• To keep your house warm at night, turn on the heat! But also, put a rolled up towel at the bottom of your front & back door to keep the heat in and the cold out. It works, believe me!

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2:17pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

This week, it’s a Rhubarb Cream Pie! Yum Yum Yum. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy the ‘barb!

Love you all, and I am SO happy to be back!

The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 Mama Cowell December 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM

~~ Welcome Back~~

I know I enjoyed you columns and quips!

xo

2 Noj December 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Merry Christmas Real Housewife!

3 tjbart17 December 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM

My mother was a triage NP and in the mall that night. She was right outside of Macy’s and began working on victims. I was only 8, but I remember being at home with my grandmother when the news flashed about the crash. My mom walked into the house covered in blood.

4 purplewhale December 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I am glad to see your column back. I was workign that night at the mall when the plane crash. I was between shifts and I was coming back into the mall when people were just running a screaming. I made it through the doors right outside of Sears and turned around. I will never forget the smell. I never was able to get the smell out of my clothes. Even to this day I will not go down to the mall any time around the December 23rd. I think of those who lost their lives every year and prayer for the families.

5 Jojo Potato December 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Regarding that plane crash. My wife was just below at that store, I know they sold belts, when the river of flame came down. She ran and got out of there OK into the parking lot. She called me from the house across the street, just behind the “Viking” sign that is still there. I picked her up from there. Back home she was shaking for a long time as I tried to comforted her.

6 Jojo Potato December 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

But we lived through all that and Merry Christmas to us all!

7 MO December 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

What a lovely column Housewife…I will remember the victims and the survivors in my prayers…

I’m first in line for that Rhubarb Cream Pie …(my Grandmother’s used to can rhubarb every summer, and we had pie at Christmas and some wonderful rhubarb/strawberry/marshmallow jam on baking powder biscuits :)…good memories.

8 the real super man December 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

what happened to freedom of speech

9 Bishop Estates December 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Still remember that night when the plane hit. I had just left my job at the mall. When I got home everyone was frantically calling the house to see if I was ok…….My Grandma cried when she heard my voice and that I was ok.

Merry Christmas….let us all remember that life is precious, hug your family & friends and let them know while they are here how much they mean to you.

10 SAR December 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Come on ‘the real super man’ you can “hate” better than that! :-[

11 Concoredejet December 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM

the good news is the housewife is back
the bad news is the real superman is back lol

12 carguy1963 December 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I worked on the loading dock at emporium at the time ,and was on the off ramp to check up on my crew and give them a hand when the plane hit.. such a sad time.!

13 anon December 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM

My sister was at the mall when the plane crashed. She sprung into action and helped the people, sorry I’m unsure of the details. This experience gave her life meaning and she sought training to work in an emergency room, which she still does today. Before this incident she was kind of rudderless and just existing without goals. If anyone else feels this way now you might try your hand at helping other people. It might be your calling.

14 Margie December 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I really enjoyed this column….YOU have a wonderful Christmas!

15 the real super man December 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

@ SAR They keep blocking my posts

16 PH Fan December 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I love that you love Downtown Pleasant Hill, I do too! I love your column. Merry Christmas~

17 G-non December 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Just before you came back a few weeks ago I was thinking about you, then there was the announcement of your return!! What a nice column, glad you and your dad survived. Hope he feels good today. I have always felt there should at least be a small plaque in the mall with the names of the people who died. I didn’t realize there was so many, and I forgot the baby. So sad.

18 doglover December 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Merry Christmas to all Claycordians. Will never forget that night. It was a nightmare.

19 Gloria December 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Your column has gotten better and better since you have returned, and has been more enjoyable to read when you are just commenting on the stuff that most of us want to hear about or have observed. You have been keeping things “light” without making snarky comments, or getting too much into your personal life unless it is amusing and things that we can all relate to.

I can see a total change in your way of writing and thinking, and it is now enjoyable to read your column because I was a critic to your previous writings. You have shown maturity and willingness to change, and I commend you.

20 Shiloh December 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Has anyone figured out who ‘the real superman’ is when he’s not trolling this thread?

21 Big Fred December 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

@Shiloh-
I believe he goes by the name, Clark Kent, when he is not online. lol

22 SK December 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

@Shiloh, Do any of us care who he is?

23 @The RHOC December 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Happy Holidays to you and your family and to all the other Claycordians out there!

24 the real super man December 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

You all care of who I am :-D

25 A lot less lame December 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

This week anyways…I like the real superman.

He tells it like it is…too bad they dont put up half of hos posts. If you de ide to do a column on a public anything, you neex to have a big enough backbone to roll with the punches.

But shes protected by the “mayor”

26 Joe December 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I remember that plane crash! My mom was working at Emporium that night. She called to let me know that there was a plane crash and that she was alright. Later it turns out that my neighbor was also there with the baby. 14 month old Alexander Luong! I don’t know the mothers name don’t remember, but she died a few days later. I miss them!

27 DoReMi December 21, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Merry Christmas to the irrepressible Housewife of Claycord and all the rest of the peeps here in CoCo County.

28 Nanagirl December 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Merry Christmas to you and your family Real Housewife. I’m glad your back..

29 CoolBlog December 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I really enjoy this blog. Fun insights and info. I remember the plane crash at SV Mall. I knew people who were there that night. Very sad about the people who died. We need to be thankful for all that we have adn to treasure our loved ones. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

30 Wifey December 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Merry Christmas Realhousewife i love this column, im sorry you and your dad had that trajedy happend in front of you guys thats crazy i cant even imagine. Thanks for all the info : )