Hostage Talks About Killing Suspect Inside Concord Business in 1996

December 13, 2012 · 22 comments

In March of 1996, Concord resident Mary McIntyre shot and killed her stalker inside Contra Costa Trophy & Embroidery, which was formerly located at 2002 Salvio Street in Concord, on the corner of Galindo, across from Skipolini’s Pizza & the Brenden Theatre.

McIntyre recently talked about her experience and what happened inside the business. She shared her story with a television program called “I Survived”, which is on every Sunday night on the Biography Channel.

McIntyre was not charged with killing 33-year-old Jociel Bulawin, because he actually told her to shoot him in the head.

Watch the video above to learn more about the story.

Three different stories are featured in the episode, so to watch Mary talk about her ordeal, you’ll have to fast-forward to 35:12 and watch a few commercials from the Biography Channel’s sponsors.

1 Craig Cannon December 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Your video link doesn’t show on my device. I was camped out shooting video Behind the wall at The Sage Room (now Scores). The Brenden was just a big open Cement lot within clear view of the Trophy Shop. That was a big deal that afternoon. You could hear the percussion Grenade go off, and see the window move when SWAT went in. The Suspect was already dead by then. One of Concord’s stranger incidents.

2 Toni December 13, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I, too, can’t see the link for the video on the iPad.

I remember the story, as well.

3 O WOW December 13, 2012 at 6:31 AM

So if someone says shoot me you can do it .Good to know

4 Todd Hummel December 13, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I was the ambulance on standby for that incident. The cops were stuck between a rock and a hard place and did their job with a very high degree of professionalism. And that is one tough and couragous lady.

5 JET December 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Wow, this was incredible to watch. I don’t recall hearing this story, although when it happened I was a teenager and probably didn’t listen to the news very much. I am so impressed with her courage, I cannot even begin to imagine what goes through your mind when confronted with a situation like that, as well as the aftermath of dealing with a traumatic event like that. But she seems to have kept her focus on surviving for her kids, that is admirable and I can definitely understand. Best wishes to her and her family.

6 mamatosix85 December 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I think about this incredible lady every time I pass that building. I pray for her and wonder how she is. Thank you for this information. Much love to her.

7 Gnon December 13, 2012 at 8:27 AM

When I pass that place I often think of the lady who had that horrific experience- she is a survivor!! It was the best possible turnout anyone could of hoped for.

8 Anonymous December 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Just curious….how do they know for sure he told her to shoot him in the head? Was that caught on tape?

And I didn’t know if someone tells you to shoot them you can do it and not get arrested? That’s interesting….

9 @ Anon 8 December 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM

On the show, it was mentioned there was another co-worker who was hiding out, and heard the whole exchange, including the stalker forcing her to kill him. Mary had done nothing wrong.

10 warbirds45 December 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM

The girlfriend of the man that this gal shot and killed, was a receptionist for one of my doctors.
We could never figure this one out, he was infatuated with this gal, and his girlfriend { the receptionist} was really pretty.

He was so obsessed with her, real weird. You never know!

11 JET December 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM

@Anonymous #8

Watch the video. In the video they say that there was an employee hiding in the room when she shot him, and she confirmed that he in fact, told her to shoot him.

12 gina December 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I remember that incident clearly. I, too, think of the lady who had to shoot the guy every time I pass by. Traffic was horrific, streets were shut down – didn’t know why. All these years, never knew the guy was stalking her! Just thought it was a botched robbery.

13 Armed Citizen December 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

An excellent example of why law abiding citizens should be able to carry a weapon capable of stopping a threat of life and safety!

14 @13 December 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Yea, but she should have been carrying an AK47 with two extra ammo clips holding 100 rounds each. There might have been a little collateral damage but WTH,

15 skippy December 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I vaguely remembered a hostage situation in that store but not the details or the date. BTW, having a willing victim is not a legal defense or else assisted suicide would be legal.

16 Jeff December 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I have sympathy for her, for the incident and having to take someone’s life.

That said, this is EXACTLY why citizens should be allowed to carry. Self defense should never be an issue – you have the RIGHT to defend your own life, and should be able to access the necessary tools to do so.

Screw California and their gun laws. They are in violation of our rights. UP YOURS GOVERNOR BROWN. I guess that colonoscopy was well deserved.

17 Sunfish December 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

@#14
lol, so true, so true :-)

18 Ridiculous December 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

@Jeff you are a typical redneck gun toting idiot! You would make a perfect poster child on why people with questionable mental capacity should not be allowed to arm themselves.
Have a little decency and respect when it comes to the governor of this state, Jerry Brown. If you don’t like him that’s fine you can always move to another “red” neck state. However, he’s not only our governor but a human being with a medical issue so for once (although it might be hard) try and show a little class.

19 Truth is . . . December 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Jeff’s right . . bleeding heart lib!

20 Jeff December 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck – its a duck. A lame one at that.

Sorry for his poor health. But frankly – he has been sticking gun owners and taxpayers in the a$$ for years. Guess the old saying what goes around comes around is true.

21 Howard K Mullins III December 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I agree with Jeff.

Bleeding hearts be damned. Should be a bounty, but its kind of like putting a bounty on spit.

22 big boy December 14, 2012 at 7:13 AM

This woman is awesome. Thank you for your courage and for taking another dirtbag off the street.