The Real Housewife of Claycord – Don’t Be a Jerk, Dogs, Soup (not dog soup) + More

December 13, 2012 14:17 pm · 56 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2:17pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

Let me clear up a few things. I am 100% NOT the wife of Mr. Mayor. Everybody seems to think that I’m married to His Honor, but I am not, so you can stop that rumor right now, because I have a husband and he has a wife. Although I am sure he is a wonderful husband.

Since this is the Holiday Season, I would like to make this week’s column about giving, and doing good things for other citizens of Claycord.

It only takes one minute to change somebody’s life, for better or for worse. Yesterday, Mr. Mayor wrote a story about a gentleman in the post office who was screamed at by a witch mean lady, who was also harassing the postal workers. Is it really necessary to lose your temper and take it out on the people around you? NO, it isn’t! It’s also not too difficult to buy an extra toy for $5 and give it to a local organization who distributes toys to the needy. Don’t know who to donate to? Let me Google that for you!

I have a song I’d like to share with you that pretty much sums up how you should act during the Holidays (and everyday):

Moving on….

A few things I saw (and heard) around Claycord this week:

• I saw that Mr. Mayor wrote about Rachel Dunn Chocolates in Concord. That place is absolutely amazingly amazing. But what chocolate isn’t, right? Go try the caramel apple. It will feed your family for about a week.
  • When did Home Depot become so dog friendly. I was in there with my husband the other day when I saw a couple with five dogs in their shopping cart. Why is it ok to bring your animals into stores?
  • We went out this week to view Christmas lights around Claycord and were so surprised by how many people went all out this year. It was lovely, and you all did such a fantastic job decorating for Christmas.

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• This might sound weird, but it works so well! If you make a lot of soup and you have extra, divide and freeze the soup into muffin tins. It makes perfect individual servings that you can just pop out when ever you need them.

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2:17pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

This week, it’s a Southern Pecan Pie! Yum Yum Yum. Here’s the recipe. Be sure to eat it all, we wouldn’t want any to go to waste, especially since those pecans gave their lives to feed us.

Love you all, and I am SO happy to be back!

The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 the real super man December 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Now I realize why you are so terrible you are a dog hater. That’s pretty bad for somebody that owns a dog.What’s so wrong to bring your dogs to Home Depot.

2 9 deuce daisy December 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I think its only NOT ok to bring pets into a store that sells food, but people still do it anyway. Completely annoying.

3 Great... December 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Youre back…smh

Why not share where all the great lights are? Duh.

4 RancherAtHeart December 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Dogs in Home Depot, Lowe’s,etc….anywhere that doesn’t sell food is perfectly acceptable in my book. We take our big dog there for socialization and to educate the public about the breed. He is well mannered, under control, loves everyone and never barks!

I completely draw the line at people taking their dogs into grocery stores and places that sell food. I am sorry, but it is just gross!!! I complained at Trader Joe’s one day about a lady who had her dog on the basket….the manager’s response was that he “didn’t want to cause a scene”. Okay then, I will……and I proceeded to tell him how disgusting it was a bit louder than I normally would have spoken. Then I contacted the corporate headquarters and made a bigger issue out of it than it should have been. It is a health violation unless they are a service dog…who is trained to behave accordingly and certainly doesn’t go in a cart or basket!

Don’t even get me started on the lady with the parrot on her shoulder that was crapping down her back in the grocery store! I want to barf just thinking about it…..

5 Were you gone? December 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

@Housewife… I didn’t notice your absence, nor did I think (or care) that you were married to Mr. Mayor.

@not-so-super man, dogs should stay outside stores. Sounds like you probably should, too.

@Great…: Right?! I haven’t seen many cool houses this season at all… the two I depend on are not decorating this year. Where are these people that are “going all out”?

6 Suggestion December 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Dont place YOUR opinion so much.

I def agree about pets in food places…others I’m in between. My only fear is that people who are irresponsible would allow their aggressive dog in stores. Otherwise I find it ok to bring well behaved nice dogs to places…

7 J. December 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I have seen small and large dogs pee and poop on the Home Depot and OSH walls\floors

8 HaTeR HaTeR December 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

@ the real super man et al: Do you and the other mean morons just sit around all day on your computer waiting to pounce on someone when they post?
Seriously? You disagree with her so she is “terrible”? It should be obvious she’s not a dog hater, a dog hater would have been more like you (nasty). Can’t you disagree without being rude?
I love dogs but I don’t think they don’t belong in stores. All it takes is one bite or one puddle that someone slips on, and all pets will be gone from the stores, they are a huge liability issue.
Too bad this is anonymous posting because it lets every small minded idiot say things without even thinking.
If you can’t say something nice or at least constructive, don’t say anything.

9 Schmee December 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM

This weekly article takes women backwards in social progression

10 Dorothy December 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Hardware stores, okay. Pet stores, okay. Food store, not okay. But I’ve seen a lot of (usually) women with small dogs in carry bags and even strollers. The carry bags don’t seem like they would be good for the dog. At least the strollers give a small dog room to move around a bit. If they have a zip type cover to keep the dog inside, THEN I would be okay with the dog in a food store. Medium to large dogs, let them stay outside please.

11 Mike troll December 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

i believe it became ok to bring your pet(s) into a store with you when it became not ok to leave them in your car

12 Dogma December 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I like to take my dog to the grocery store to help me pick out meat. I let him sniff all of the packages and he always seems to grab the right steak.

13 babytruck December 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Wonderful to see another post of yours, Housewife!! Being the owner of three dogs and 4 cats, I do understand your surprise to see five dogs in the store. Granted, I love to take my dogs everywhere with me, the only store I will take them into is PetSmart, who welcomes dogs on leashes and even has treats for them!

I do agree that dogs should not be allowed in food stores unless they are service dogs. Plenty of little children are curious and may reach up to pet a dog in a cart. There’s a possibility of a child getting nipped. We must also remember that people do put their fresh foods in the cart. Yes, most are packaged but there are a lot of fresh veggies that are not. And even though they are put in plastic bags, they are possibly being exposed to a place where a dogs feet, tongue and privates have touched. And we must not forget the owner who will pet their dog in between handling the apples.

Yes, people should wash their food before eating but they shouldn’t have to.

So glad to have you back, I really look forward to seeing your posts. :)

14 Claycordette December 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Welcome back! I missed getting your take on things. I may not always agree but it’s always entertaining.

One of these days I’m going to be brave enough to try making one of those pies.

15 Palermo December 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I really love dogs, but I have to say I don’t get when it become ok to take them into every business. I was in Verizon, this girl came in with her dog, he crapped on the rug, she ignored it, another customer stepped in it. The manager had to come out and clean the rug. That shouldn’t be anybody’s job but the owners

16 Seriously? December 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Not everyone loves dogs. Some people like to smoke but you cant smoke in a store. I am all for someone loving their dog and it being part of the family, but don’t push your canine on people who find your obsession with animals more than a little emotionally needy and weird. So am I a dog racist because I don’t want a dog in a store? Last time I checked, dogs were pets not people. Leave your pet at home. You “animal” people freak me out. Let them lick your stuff, stay away from me.

17 BART Rider December 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Dogs do not belong in non pet related businesses. They aren’t children, they are pets…leave them at home. Some of us are terribly allergic and we shouldn’t have to not shop because you think your dog is a child. Bit to mention that met people think their animals are well behaved in public but only a small portion of them actually are.

18 Shiloh December 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I think it’s always been ok to bring your dog to Home Depot but, seriously, I have noticed a TON of dogs there lately as well. Like several dogs every single time I go. I think it’s weird, but I won’t complain at a store like that. Now when I am shopping at Nordstrom and people are walking around with Border Collies and letting them go in and out of the racks and rub up against the clothes, I have a problem with that! I can’t believe someone would have to be told that they shouldn’t bring a pet into a department store — or a grocery store. Weird people.

19 B December 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I love dogs. I would have five if the hubby wasn’t allergic. However, I would not take any of them into a store. It irritates me to no end! Leave them home.

20 Straight and Narrow December 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Personally, I like to get away from my dogs. I love them, but it’s nice to leave them at home except when we go for walks.

21 Ms Peach December 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I love dogs but they don’t need to go with their humans everywhere. Leave them at home. If you are never home, you shouldn’t have a pet.

22 Not Ok December 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Not difficult.. Unless there is a sign saying pets OK they don’t belong inside. We grew up in a world where we all KNEW this with exception for service dogs. How the heck do you validate taking your pets inside when not a service dog. Rude, shows stupidity and offensive to others and I LOVE DOGS and have 2 I consider family but I don’t take them when I go shopping!

Those who think it’s ok, provide your proof? Yes I’m challenging you to show us all where you are the exemption? Post the law that says OK to do so if not posted? Provide your proof of rationalizing this I really want to know how you think?. Simple enough.. Not your own self rationalization. Oh gee no sign saying I can’t so I guess I can. Do you know why common sense isn’t common? Your actions demonstrate that.

Nothing healthy about it and not all care for your pet whether you like it or not you have to respect others but choose not too. Hope people complain to management in such stores it is VERY effective. Guess what, if they fail to act, note the store location and write corp office (easily found on internet) they will contact the store/manager, then they will follow up with you to see if it was properly addressed based on your future experiences with store. Promise it will be addressed the next time they come with their pet. Sad this is what we have to do for people who can’t show common sense. Stop feeling entitled and get with society.

23 Calvin December 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Totally agree with #’s 15/16. Ever since the Hollywood publicity of seeing all of the divas taking their lil’ “personal” pooches everywhere, we have become a society that thinks it’s ok to take our dogs everywhere, even if it means leaving them in the car while we shop.

I have never understood why people feel a need to take their dogs out and then leave them in a car when they could be more comfy at home.

Just like with some cigarette smokers, dog lovers don’t stop to realize that some people are allergic to dog hair, to say nothing of fleas that might be left in carts and in the air. Dog butts and baby butts do not belong in a shopping cart seat, which is certainly a good reason for women not to put their purses in the “seat” area of a cart, because then the bottom of that purse could go on your car seat or a seat in your house, or on the floor in your house, or worst of all, on your kitchen counter. It just goes on and on — – – – sorry for the rambling.

24 Calvin December 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

PS – I was just passing on the info regarding purses from my wife – – – otherwise, I have no knowledge.

25 jadedserf December 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Like people, there are well behaved, tidy sorts and ones that are a walking mess. The later (be it a person or a dog or both) should be 86’d (give them a scarlet “M” for “mess” to wear and we’ll all know who to prohibit from shops and markets) and the former welcomed. Problem solved.

26 ajh5150 December 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Lol Dogma. Too funy.

27 Kissy Pooh December 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Wait, you said your husband has a wife? Are you the mistress then? Maybe you just used poor sentence structure

28 Sue December 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Speaking of Home Depot and dogs, last year around this time I was there and a man and woman had a HUGE dog with them in the store. He crapped every 2ft down the lighting aisle (and we all know the bigger the dog the bigger the crap) anyhow the owners were very much aware of it. So what did they do? They walked to another aisle and continued to shop like nothing happened!

I then let the employee that stands up front know what happened and where the dog owners were before someone slipped or ran a shopping cart through it and the entire store. I like animals, but some people shouldn’t have them. There was no need to bring the dog in there, but since they did there is something called common courtesy and they are responsible for the cleanup and respect for others.

29 the real super man December 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

@ were you gone @ hater hater. You both sound like you both have nice personalities and you know what that means.

30 bumper December 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I know that my dog is better behaved than the majority of children I see running around stores with little or no parental discipline. I think they need a leash more than my dog.

31 local94553 December 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Welcome Back. I enjoy your column. I like to take my dog with me as often as possible but where food is sold not so much I don’t think that is appropriate.

Thanks

32 Limeridger December 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM

“I have a husband and he has a wife.” This comment is still ambiguous. Does your husband have another wife? Are you the wife of “he” being Mr. Mayor? Are you the wife of your husband? I’m confused, but the suspense is killing me. Rumors must abound because this is called “real housewives” after all… ;-)

33 bluebird December 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Really? You guys couldn’t follow that “wife/husband” reference? I at home sick and feeling very sleepy and yet I got it the first time I read it.

34 Dogs and whose wife is whose husband December 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM

BOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

35 J. December 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The wife/husband reference is illiterate but intelligible if you read it twice.

36 Lorelei December 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I respect your right to have a dog, but please keep it away from me. I am afraid of dogs and don’t want to be near, even the well-behaved ones. Besides, how many times have you heard someone say: “I don’t understand why he bit; he;s never done it before?” We don’t always know what will set a dog off, so keep it on your own property, in accordance with local leash laws. Thank you.

37 Mr John December 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM

As with most things, the rules for dogs in stores should be some places Yes, some places absolutely No, and- most importantly- everywhere else Only If You Can Do It Responsibly.

38 Well.. December 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Some of you are just sad, lonely, bitter people. if you don’t like the column- don’t read it. I bet you are that same jerk on Pine Hollow. If I was as bitter as you people, I would kill myself.

@ Housewife- Try a Eggnog Pie. It is so good!!

39 Occupier December 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Dogs crapping everywhere?

Hell Every time I’m in Home Depot I take a good sized growler right in the display toilets.

40 anon December 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Dogs really love Ranch99. Put it in a shoulder bag and let him help you pick out seafood in the open tank section. It’s the highlight of his day! My dog is way cleaner than those dead pigs that were rolled in there on shopping carts (claycord a few months ago).

41 Amy December 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I am happy to see people bring their dogs to Home Depot. Please don’t go starting something that will make them change their policy. There aren’t enough places to bring your dog and it doesn’t hurt anyone. Why are you complaining? Why don’t you mind your own business.

42 Ancient Mariner December 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Dogs ain’t so bad:
I was in a supermarket in Venice (yes, they have them).
I thought a poor sparrow had somehow become trapped inside the building and I wanted to help it to get to freedom. Wonderful, wonderful freedom for the poor sparrow, so I thought. Couldn’t catch it, though.
On the way out I saw the sparrows (yes, plural) hopping under the door back into the supermarket! A couple of days later, I found out why. I was in the meat section and saw a sparrow on a package of ground pork. The package was just like the kind that we have here – styrofoam on the bottom, meat in the middle, tight plastic wrap over the top. The sparrow was pecking through the plastic wrap and eating the pork! The hole was so small that a buyer might not have noticed it until later.
I didn’t know that sparrows were omnivorous.
I’d rather have a dog in the aisle any time!

43 Walnut Creek Resident December 14, 2012 at 1:20 AM

My friend travels with her five dogs doing her job for the State of California. One is a German shepherd, three maltzos and one mutt.. Then she comes to visit me with all the dogs and spends the night before she returns back home in Nevada City.. They are wonderful but they wear me out. After they are gone I have to clean the whole house again. I am amazed she travels with all the dogs. Some have crates and some not in her SUV. They all go into hotels that love these dogs. So being around dogs is something I am getting used to doing. They are much like humans. Their own precious little personalities. So seeing dogs in stores is fine with me but not grocery stores or restaurants!!

44 Hard working father December 14, 2012 at 2:58 AM

LOL I can’t believe this song made it on to claycord.my kids have been singing this song for weeks.ITS A INSTANT EPIC SLAPPER.it total reminds you to take a chill pill and DONT de such a jerk during the holidays.

45 Hard working father December 14, 2012 at 2:59 AM

EVERYBODY THAT LEFT COMMENTS NEEDS TO LISTEN TO THIS SONG 10 TIMES IN A ROW

46 JRConcord December 14, 2012 at 6:44 AM

If I have an alligator that I have registerd as a service animal. May i bring it into the store with me?

47 Jim December 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM

got no problem with the dogs but if they are cute expect children to approach…if they are kid friendly…leave them home…my daughter got a little nip at Lowes one day because a woman left her dog a few monutes as she looked over plants…she then told me that i needed to restrain my child…she never gace permission for her to pet her…I apologized and said she was 3 and it was tiny and cute and the woman said but where does that mean pet me?…I lost my temper and called her a “witch”…not good in front of my daughter but she should have taken some of the blame…like a 3 yr old would know differently…I was right next to her and turned my head for 2 secs and she reached up…lucky she just pinched her finger but really if you must bring your dog stay with them….still annoys me

48 WhatsupDogs? December 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Not sure what is wrong with having dogs in a store as long as they are well behaved and are ok with crowds, other dogs and people.

49 Chuck December 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

So..the real question is; Why is it NOT alright to have dogs in stores? Are they to be relegated to “outdoors” only? Been to Carmel lately? 100% dog friendly. For outdoor restaraunts you may have your dog at your outdoor table. I would dare say we’ve all seen dogs that misbehave as much or as little as some children and yet we’d never think to have stores “off limits” to children even though in places like Home Depot and Lowes there are certainly places that are simply not appropriate for either kids or dogs.

50 V December 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM

gee… lets see, what’s wrong with having dogs in stores? Dogs can carry ringworm, which causes an estimated 1000 cases of blindness in children per year. Umm…. people are ALLERGIC to dog fur, and some have allergic reactions so severe that it causes anaphylaxis. We all know that stores don’t power wash and sanitize carts after every use.

Is your dog so darn important that you’re willing to unknowingly and/or selfishly cause harm to another human being? Leave FIDO at home!!

51 Rum Runner December 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I was at Kobe Japan on Oak Park Blvd in Pleasant Hill last week and a patron sitting at the table next to ours, with her two male companions, had a lovely little pooch on a leash sniffing aroung the table. Of course he was just too cute to keep at home, and nobody could have been offended at his presence. The owner of the restaurant certainly wasn’t concerned. Everybody was just having a ducky time.

52 Connie Dobbs December 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Dogs don’t wear diapers.

53 Dogs are not Kids December 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

@Chuck: That door swings both ways. Why is it SO important for you to force your animal onto everyone around you? If you need to have the differences between a dog and a small human being explained to you, then I have a feeling no one is going to convince you out of your point of view.

I loved my dogs and all, but in the end they are animals. A mediocre dog owner that can’t fully control his/her animal in a store is not even in the same ballpark as a parent that can’t fully control their human child. When I was a dog owner, I didn’t expect society at large to tolerate my animal in so far as to have it invade everyone’s space. Every person is not a dog person — and the store does not double as your walking/park time. Get over it.

54 catlady December 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM

loved the sponge bob video!!!

55 Blu Dog December 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM

@JRConcord … seriously? You don’t just register a service animal and voila, they are a service animal. I find this comment a bit offensive but then I remember where I’m at.

@ V, um, kids carry ringworm too. In fact, my nephew gave it to me and I turned around and gave it to my dog … goes both ways.

For those so scared of or allergic to dogs what do you do in the presence of a service dog? California and most local laws only ban pets from certain establishments (like food stores and restaurants), beyond that it is up to the proprietor. Oh but there’s that allergy thing, well, hate to break it to you but people have far more allergies than just to dogs and *most* allergic reactions to dogs is not deadly, unlike to peanuts. Do we ban people who wear too much perfume? Oh, sometimes I wish we did because I am allergic, but it isn’t deadly and I can walk away. Maybe you don’t want to be around a dog but have you stopped to think I might not want to be around your screaming, ill behaved child who just hit my dog because you weren’t supervising them? And #53, yes, I know the difference. Should dogs be in carts? No. Should children be left to run amok? No. Should we all bear personal responsibility and decency? Yes.

56 m norris December 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I found myself reading this after doing a search on if and why dogs are allowed in commercial kitchens. To try as best I could to get over my innate disgust of seeing dogs in so many places like stores and kitchens and beds, I thought if I read and educated myself about these practices, I could adjust to these practices.
I just can’t do it.
Animals are animals. Animals that are pets are still animals. Animals are not human children. I am afraid of animals – especially dogs and cats. I do not like being sniffed, licked or laid on by animals. I do not like thinking that I have to sterilize the shopping cart before I use is because some animal as in it. I might try to get over this fear if I did not feel that I was being forced to have to enjoy encountering these animals in spaces where they don’t belong. I do not have to be obliged to tolerate the family pet when I’m shopping for food or clothes of toiletries. The exception would be pet stores and since I do not own or care for any animals, I do not need to go to these places.
As for certified service animals, I have much less of a problem because I know that these creatures have been trained to respond to their masters’ needs. And unless I decide to go and pet the animal (which is not acceptable), I will be left alone. In a word , if you want me to care about you as a human being, then take me (and other like me) seriously when we ask for you to leave your pets at home.