Loud Explosions in Pleasant Hill – Pipe Bomb Located & Arrests Made

December 8, 2012 · 42 comments

We’re getting reports of loud explosions in the City of Pleasant Hill, but this time, it seems as though the police have captured the suspects!

Television news videographer Craig Cannon tells Claycord.com that he “just talked to a PD Official. Three juveniles were arrested after an earlier mail box explosion in Pleasant Hill where a pipe bomb was used. After witnesses gave a description, a vehicle that matched was spotted by PD in the College Park High School front lot.

The suspects were taken into custody. While searching the car, another large bomb was found unexplored. The Bomb Squad from WCPD was dispatched and the bomb was detonated.”

Thanks to Craig Cannon for the information on the incident!

1 sillyfilly454 December 8, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Dayuum P.H…. Pipe bombs? 3 Juveniles? In a car? Glad I live in Concord! Lol…!

2 Anon December 8, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Great news, let’s hope they get more than a slap on the wrists!

3 Anyon December 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Awesome work PHPD, nice mustaches on scene too.

4 It would have been easier to find them....... December 8, 2012 at 3:12 AM

if the second bomb had detonated while these morons were sitting the car frantically fondling each other. Police could have easily followed the trail of charred body parts.

5 Anon December 8, 2012 at 3:15 AM

I heard that earlier this evening driving down Ruth Dr.
I knew CLAYCORD would know what it was. Thanks Mayor!

6 dvchousing December 8, 2012 at 4:05 AM

I live in College Park and I heard the 3 loud explosions around midnight, 12:10am and 12:20am respectively. Wondered what was going on… Thanks Claycord for the update! I am glad that they captured the suspects…

7 Jim White December 8, 2012 at 5:28 AM

I heard two really loud booms, about 10 or 15 minutes apart late at night. Shook the windows with a loud bang. Scary and dangerous sounding,, like in a war zone. Good they got these fools.

8 Woo Hoo!!! December 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Hopefully this will end the annoying mysterious explosions of Claycord!

9 Killjoy December 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Oops. Messing with a mail box is a federal offense.
Not to mention making and using a bomb.
I hope these turds get the book thrown at them.

10 anonares December 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM

This is great news. A big thank you to the Pleasant Hill police and those citizens who forwarded a description of the suspect vehicle.

11 screwed December 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM

not only were they setting off pipe bombs but they are blowing up mail boxes? i believe that makes it a federal matter, i hope they are tried as adults!!

12 Ven Xeter December 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Yep, heard one loud explosion just as I was getting home around midnight. Let’s hope these are the same perps behind the long string of explosions in the area over the past few months. Good job PHPD. Too bad this now needs to be turned over to the DA. I’m sure Mark Peterson will push for a very harsh slap on the wrist.

13 Schmee December 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Unexplored should read unexploded. I think maybe auto correct gotcha

14 Ven Xeter December 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM

@anonares, I believe it was Claycord’s own Gladys Kravitz who was able to provide a detailed description of the perp vehicle to police. Neighborhood watch does work.

15 PTown December 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Heard one last night – live over by Virginia Hills Shopping Center. Was pretty loud. Nice work PHPD!

16 cj December 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Fine the parents also…losers.

17 anon December 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Now would be the time to make an example out of these kids. Wonder if that will actually happen.

18 Parsnip December 8, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Congrats PHPD! Three useless punks need to learn how to better spend idle time.

(Thanks for the token editing that salvaged the post — and Claycord.com — and helped us dummy readers to fully understand what occurred, #7. We NEVER would have guessed. You’re our hero!)…

19 Three Juveniles.... December 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Well, it is very lucky they were caught “Red Handed” before they became red handed and blew off their fingers, hands, or faces.

Ok, boys will be boys (assuming they are all boys), but now mommy and daddy have to deal with having a teen with a record of “possession of a destructive device, bomb making, destruction of property with explosives, transportation of a destructive device, possession of bomb making materials, blowing up Federal Mailboxes, acting in concert, conspiracy, possession of explosives on school grounds…. did I miss anything?

Add up all those felonies. Now these young rocket scientists will have lifetime ban on owning guns, holding a government job, perhaps as felons they cannot vote, nor hold public office. Forget the fireman job too.

Boys, this isn’t 1930, you aren’t on your daddy’s farm, and that wasn’t a tree stump in the back 40.

20 Myth Busters December 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Not guilty.

Myth Busters made them do it.

21 Share the Road with Me! December 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Where in PH did this occur?

22 Anon December 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM

These kids should spend the rest of their lives in prison.

23 Back in the day... December 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

it was a fun thing to set off fireworks, blow up stuff (not personal property) and just be a kid growing up. Boys like fire, bangs, loud stuff. It’s built in our DNA from hunter gatherer days.

Today, with the advent of paranoid liberals huddle by their TV, and the government actively whittling away our rights, these kids will be faced with such terms as “Homeland Security”, “NDAA”, Patriot Act”, “Terrorist” and the ridiculous list goes on and on.

Call their parents, give them some road cleanup detail and move on people. This knee jerk reaction of “Throw the book at them”, for pretty much farting in public, has got to end.

24 Shuley December 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

So, these idiots were not only committing likely felony offenses and federal at that, but they were driving around with a bomb in their car. Darwin? Are you hearing this?

25 Howard K Mullins III December 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Lousy parents beget crummy kids.

26 JRConcord December 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Poor, poor mailboxes. Hopefully they will get a clue and knock it off ..Good job PHPD. I too participated in a mailbox murder when I was younger. I did not anticipate so much shrapnel. I ended up it the ER not jail, learned my lesson and stopped playing with explosives.

27 Ven Exeter December 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

@ “Back in the day”, sounds like you are one of our elected officials, or maybe you’re just drinking the same kool-aid. A little over a year ago an elderly man in Fairfield was severely injured when one of these bombs went off as he was retrieving his morning paper. These bombs are no joke and anyone manufacturing, using or possessing one should be put away for their own safety and the safety of the community. That said, this being Contra Costa County, California, your recommended “punishment” is probably very close to what they will actually receive.

28 Shuley December 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM

@ Back in the day – So it’s LIBERALS aimlessly labeling people as “terrorists” and overdoing it with domestic security? Are you stoned? Wow, blaming the other side for the faults of your own.. I’m amazed at what I read here sometimes

@ Howard K Mullins III – Wow! We actually agree!

29 skippy December 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Those poor free-standing mailboxes don’t stand a chance. They are as unfortunate as fire hydrants these days.

30 Back in the day... December 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM

ParAdone mua if I’m wrong about the liberal comment. Just seems to me they are all afraid of their own shadow, scared that guns are going to murder everyone, and want to hug a lot.

And Ven, these kids did not plant a “booby trap explosive”, that is a different offense entirely. These are kids not thinking, period. Our school system needs to address how the world has changed since the government has taken over our rights. Mail boxes are historical targets in our society, from bats to bombs. Now, a simple M80 is considered a “Weapon of Mass Destruction”.

Ever heard of making the crime fit the time? Our “privatized for-profit” prison system is overrun with inmates. And no rehabilitation there folks. You take a good kid that made a stupid mistake, run him through the system, and he is the kid robbing a liquor store and burglarizing your home the first six months he’s out.

Have some reality with your emotions.

31 Elwood December 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM

“we was fined $50 and had to pick up the garbage” –Arlo Guthrie, Alice’s Restaurant

32 Parsnip December 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Correction to my post #18: Actually the note of (sarcastic) appreciation went to the writer of #13 — someone who wants to play copy desk.

33 @Back in the day... December 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I have to agree, you are delusional. From my perspective, it isn’t the paranoid liberals who are taking away our rights, it’s the paranoid right.

How about, the Patriot Act, a woman’s right to choose what happens over her own body, the right for Gays to marry, Big Pharma lobby against legalizing something like marijuana for grown ups to choose to use?

You are probably thinking, “those are all liberal agenda items”. Maybe, but they are still rights that are being taken away from our citizens.

But maybe you were talking about liberals and their Nanny state laws that take away your right to not wear a seat belt, smoke in public or drive drunk.

34 Pegasus December 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Elwood –
Did they make you sit on the “Group W” bench?

35 Ven Xeter December 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I took out a mailbox or two in my day but not with explosives. I used a ’76 Caprice Classic which ran the box down like a Sherman tank. Using an explosive is a different matter. What do you think those kids were going to do if it didn’t detonate? It would have been left there to blow up in the homeowner’s face when disturbed. That’s what happened in Fairfield last year and this is why when it comes to a pipe bomb, intent isn’t the only thing to consider.

36 nytemuvr December 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM

@Elwood #31

Officer Obie….good one

37 Gladys Kravitz December 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM

@ Ven xeter. I can’t take the credit for this. Some other person is just as fed up with all the problems lately too. We all need to keep our eyes open as this is our town too. We shouldn’t have to put up with stupid crap like this. Thank you whoever call the cops.

38 Peanuts Mommy December 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I called the police immediately after getting my kids on the ground because I had no idea what was happening. I am her neighbor and her mailbox is closer to my window than it is to her house. I was sitting by the window typing an email and when the explosion happened it made it where I could not hear out of my right ear (facing window) and then when the hearing came back it rang all night. This was potentially very dangerous and it was scary. If someone were outside they would have been seriously injured or killed. There are pieces of metal (either from the bomb or the mailbox) even in my yard.

39 Elwood December 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM

@ pegasus #34

Yeah! With the father rapers! It was cool!

40 Elwood December 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM

@ nytemuvr #36

Officer Obie never was the same after the judge walked in with his seeing eye dog.

41 Pegasus December 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

walk right up it’s around the back
just a half a mile from the railroad track
you can get anything you want at Alice’s restaurant,
excepting Alice …………

42 Dave December 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Why not hand the pipe bombs back to the teenagers and make THEM diffuse them. If they blow up in the process so be it; less STUPID teenagers walking the street with bombs.