Amazing Pictures & Videos of the Flooding Around Claycord on Sunday

December 2, 2012 17:13 pm · 23 comments

The sky is nothing but blue now, but earlier, we had a mess on our hands.

Local photographer Nik Childers was able to take the photo shown below. When this creek floods during storms, it makes for some beautiful photography, but it’s also one of the most dangerous creeks in Contra Costa County, so never go rafting or tubing down it, because you could lose your life. Thanks, Nik!

Thanks to all of the Claycordians for sharing your videos & photos of the flooding around Claycord. Here’s a few more.

Thanks to “Wood in the Hood” for the video above, showing the creek under Bailey Road in Concord. We received reports of shopping carts and a ton of floating trash going down the creek.

“LMC” sent us a photo of the flooding on Richard Avenue in North Concord (above). She says the storm drains were completely clogged. She had damage to her home as a result of the flooding.

“ratstalker” got the shot of a manhole cover (above), which popped off after flooding reached maximum capacity underground in Concord.

And below, “ratstalker” also got pictures of the Walnut Creek, near the Concord Hilton Hotel, and the aftermath of a homeless camp under the bridge near highway-4 in Concord.

Lexie sent us the photo below of the creek off Ayers, behind Netto. As you can tell, it was raging. Thanks, Lexie!

Kenny was able to grab a short video of the flooding on East Olivera Road in Concord, near Pixieland. Thanks, Kenny!

“Cal” shows us the video below, which he took in the area of La Vista Avenue in Concord. Look at those streets! Thanks, Cal!

And although this is just west of Claycord, in Lafayette, the picture shown below has a story behind it. Craig Cannon tell us that “last night, the residents of this house in Lafayette return home from a movie late last night to find a large tree had fallen and taken down utility lines. PG&E comes out, tree Service, the whole thing. This morning everything is fixed, cut up, fine and dandy. 90 minutes later, same house, same lines, bigger tree, bigger problem. Yes, a second tree comes crashing down on the same property. Fortunately, a well equipped tree crew, and PG&E, are once again out there doing it all over again!”. Amazing, thanks, Craig!

GoGo Gomez, your shot of the wet rose is spectacular, and a nice way to end this post!

Thanks again to everybody who shared their photos & videos of today’s storm!

{ 23 comments }

1 Bubba 94521 December 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

All I can say is I’m glad it stopped raining. I back up to Mt Diablo creek on Netto and it is raging back there.

2 Anon December 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Why didn’t the city have crews out the clear the drains in front
of the storm?? It’s not like this weather system was a surprise,
they’ve been talking about it for a week. Clayton Rd was flooded
in multiple locations nears the drains.

3 Concord1963 December 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Spectacular pics!! Once again, GoGoGomez – your close-ups are gorgeous!

4 Howard K Mullins III December 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Amazing video. Thanks everyone.

Glad no one was injured.

5 Howard K Mullins III December 2, 2012 at 5:48 PM

@ Anon @ # 2

That’s a real good question and I too wold like to get an answer.

I was told earlier by “someone in the know”, that leaf pick up was the the lowest priority on the list of city priorities.

So, if this is true, I want to see that list. I want to know who created that list and who approved that list.

Citizens should have input. Who works for whom around here? This town ain’t that damn big that voters need to be completely ignored.

6 A. Smith December 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

You tell us that the creek in the first picture is extremely dangerous (the most dangerous in Contra Costa), yet you failed to tell us where it is! Doesn’t anyone proof read these articles??

7 George December 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

In regards to the flooding on Richard. That is at the intersection of Richard and Argyll. We never had flooding there until about 10 years ago when they put in Abba mini and RV storage.

The city doesn’t seem to do preventive maintenance on the drains. They wait till it rains and floods and see who complains.

8 Anon December 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I live off Ayers and I blame my neighbors for their lack of cleaning up the crap that gathers in their yards, such as leaves. As a result the water doesn’t flow like it should. And now, I have standing water in my front and back yards and I am so pissed off I can’t see straight!

9 Pegasus December 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I know someone who works for another town and they have been clearing storm drains for weeks.
Priorities and planning are apparently lacking here.

10 George December 2, 2012 at 7:26 PM

#6

That is Walnut Creek. The picture looks to have been taken from the Concord Ave bridge by the CAP buildings and the Nissan dealership.

11 shoppermom December 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Yes, #6, that pic was taken on Concord Ave., this morning. The “creek” is now a river.

12 judaspriest December 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM

excellent stuff so much better that what you see in our local media ,, thanks to those who contributed

13 dilligafman December 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM

mt. diablo creek next to coco’s was the highest i’ve ever seen it!

14 City Girl December 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM

In Concord, the streets are swept once a month. It used to be twice a month, but budget cuts reduced that service. My street was swept on Wednesday, and we did not have any flooding this weekend.

15 Keeping Dry December 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Thanks for posting the pics and videos. Love the local coverage. Kind of sad to see the homeless belongings piled up near the bridge. What happens to the poor souls who live under the bridges when the weather turns bad like this? Makes me very grateful to have my snug little house.

16 KAD December 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM

In the late 70’s I lived in a house on a court off of Olive Street that backed up to the Mt Diablo creek. The water was within inches of coming into the house. There was damage to furniture stored in the garage. It turned out there was tree limb blockage at the bridge on Ayers. One of my cats was missing for a few days and I was worried that he was swept away but he showed up a few days later.

17 ratstalker December 3, 2012 at 4:29 AM

And i did put the manhole cover back on right after taking the pic. just glad my eye caught it. It was a pretty good geyser the first time i drove by it.

18 Parsnip December 3, 2012 at 5:31 AM

@A. Smith #6 — As George #10 responded, that is Walnut Creek (not the city, the name of the creek).

@ratstalker — your photo of that manhole cover is freaky. It’s hard to imagine the strength of water pressure and its ability to pop off something so heavy as if it were a cork. It makes me wonder what damage the pressure caused inside. Either the engineering structure of these things has to be reevaluated, the insides have to be better cleaned, or something ….

19 In Canterbury Village December 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM

The City did come around my neighborhood prior to this storm and clean leaves out of the drains. I wish people would take some personal responsibility for their leaves though. I’m not suggesting that everyone should track down every leaf from their trees that falls on the public right away, but I’ve noticed many households doing absolutely no maintenance in their front yard or even deliberately blowing their leaves out into the street and gutter.

20 Mr. Anon E. Mouse December 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM

This was crazy! I’ve been helping my Dad to deliver the Sunday paper on his route to help make ends meet in this economy. By the time I was done downtown the streets were flooded! The rain gutters overflowing and clogged with leaves EVERYWHERE I drove (see below) The boyfriend was drenched (he opens at 6am on weekends and walked to work), so I brought him a change of clothes in PH and to top it off, I couldn’t find one doughnut shop open at 6:30am on a weekend in the Claycord area! (except the one downtown Concord, they looked like they were just opening but I won’t go there, lack of cleanliness,gnats,flies,and their doughnuts taste horribad!)

21 jtkatec December 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Ah, Mother Nature, you can be sweet and soft as a morning in spring, with the song of birds in the trees, then you have such a reversal in attitude.

Mother Nature, you must be very difficult to live with at times….

22 LMS/LMC December 4, 2012 at 5:38 AM

@George #7. You are absolutely correct about the flooding not happening until the storage facility went up. My husband usually monitors the water level near the drain clearing any clogging before there is an overflow but this was too much rain at once. The City not sweeping streets of the falling leaves played a huge factor in this flood. Whether this was budget cut related or not they sure picked the wrong storm not to prepare for and now we (and it seemed others in the neighborhood) had to miss a day or two of work in order to clean up before mold sets in. Thankfully we did not lose anything of extreme importance and most importantly no one was hurt.

23 RanchgirlCA December 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

The streets around the library on Salvio were swept clean of leaves overnight. I’m sure there aren’t many street sweepers garaged and not in use. It wouldn’t surprise me if we only had one for the whole city. Never so much of a problem as when theres’s a storm.