Vehicle -vs- Fire Hydrant at North Main & Treat in Walnut Creek

November 28, 2012 · 37 comments

A BMW crashed into a fire hydrant near the Shell station on North Main & Treat in Walnut Creek.

Water has been shut off at the scene, and although the BMW suffered major damage after crashing into the hydrant, no human injuries were reported.

This same fire hydrant was struck last month, click HERE to view the story & a photo from the crash!

Thanks to Jennifer for the picture & information!

1 KassidiG November 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

This is regular occurance. Fourth time in 3 months.

2 the Shi ite November 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Curb Jumping! They missed the street light.

3 jtkatec November 28, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Oh, no!!! Cap’n Nick was correct, this is hydracide.

If we don’t stop these senseless killings, the whole race may vanish.

4 Starfish November 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Flying fire hydrants. Again!

5 DD November 28, 2012 at 2:21 PM

WOW!!
Look at the price of diesel!

6 KJ November 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Do the drivers who hit fire hydrants get a bill for all the water that is wasted? If not, may I suggest that they be required to personally use less water (washing their car, showering, watering gardens, etc) until they pay back the water that was lost due to their negligence.

“Hydracide” – a great label!

7 Curley Howard November 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

“It’s A Geezer!

8 Radar November 28, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Shell s very pricey!

9 Starfish November 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

That hydrant just materialized out of nowhere–case solved!

10 anonanonagain November 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM

When will people learn to slow down in rainy weather?? If people don’t know to control their driving or their cars perhaps a moped will suffice??

11 Reality Says... November 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

There is something with that right hand turnout. This hydrant has been knocked down several times I believe and I can tell you from personal experience that portion of the street if very slippery for some reason.

About 8 months ago (in the rain) I was headed to work in my Tacoma. I was making that right hand turn and I was NOT speeding (it was 6:45am), I may have been going 5-10 mph if that. I gave the truck a little gas and immediately the back-end came out on me and I was headed right for the hydrant. It really took me by surprise because I was going so slow. If not for my Ricky Bobby driving skills I would have taken out that hydrant.

I have also been at the light at that intersection (on treat) waiting to make a left onto N. Main and seen people on the far lane spin out and hit the curb, but again they were not speeding.

That intersection has something strange going on there.

BTW – Still don’t understand why they put those hydrants so close the street, set them back 5 more feet and you wouldn’t have this problem.

12 Triple Canopy November 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

C’mon Claycord moderators! How about doing an ongoing count of sheared hydrants on an annual basis!

13 Cap'n Nick November 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

That’s two hydracides in as many days in the Claycord area. No matter how many times you see it, it never gets any easier. Does anyone know where the services will be held? I would like to pay my respects to the family.

14 Bubba November 28, 2012 at 3:23 PM

We need to get obama to outlaw fire hydrants as they keep jumping out in front of people.

15 MikeT November 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Now its a Holiday Hydrant!!

16 Slip n Slide November 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM

But, but beamers can corner, . . . just watch their commercials.
note: fine print during commercial “closed track professional driver”

17 jtkatec November 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Anybody out there get the CC Times? If you do can you provide us a copy of the obituary?

18 Bubba November 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Mr. Fire Hydrant died today in Walnut Creek.
He was simply standing on the sidewalk as a passing motorist ran him down.
RIP Mr. Hydrant
You will be missed by all.

19 Elwood November 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM

@ reality says #11

Small pickups are very light in the rear end and spin out easily.

I was following one of them on an on ramp on dry pavement at about 15 mph. Next thing I knew he was sideways in front of me. I graciously waited for him to restart his engine and straighten out his truck.

20 Screwy Louie November 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM

There was a time, not too long ago, when Diesel was cheaper than gas.
ALOT CHEAPER!!

21 Noduh November 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Oh crap. It got everything wet.

22 perla November 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM

People just need to slowdown, thank god this was not a person or a child.

23 Anon November 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Maybe the Bev Mo will have a water damage sale :)

24 anonanonagain November 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

@ Reality Says, that particular part of the road is traveled continuously throughout the day. The oil must be 5 inches thick. Even going slow around a corner and then accelerating just a bit can make your wheels slip and slide. People in a rush then accelerate to get to the light and onto the freeway. As you are well aware, LOTS of oil and water don’t mix….

25 Ryan November 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Since nobody else has said it yet (amazingly)…I will:

Was it David Rosen????

That is all.

26 Mimi (original) November 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Lololol! Those DANGED suicidal hydrants. We need to pass a proposition for mental health services for them whenever they’re feeling so depressed. Or maybe the fire chiefs or Marshall’s should visit each hydrant regularly to remind them how important they are to Claycord and help boost their self-esteem. We can’t have these hydrants checking out daily like this! We need them!

27 J. November 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

As of now, the Bollard is tweaked over, and the Hydrant is gone.

28 Dorothy November 28, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Hydrants still haven’t learned to get out way. Hydrants need to learn that some people not only own the road but the sidewalk too.

29 Subterfuge November 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Obviously, we are at war with the hydrants.

30 I believe Hydranticide....... November 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM

would be a more appropriate term.

31 Sue M. November 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Hydranticide? That seems a bit much. The driver accidentally hit a fireplug, so if anything it is Involuntary Plugslaughter.

32 Scroode November 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Oh, great! Now all the local dogs will have to pee on the “holiday tree” in Todos Santos Park. ;)

33 Just a Concordian November 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM

15.

A sad number of 15 hydrants have died needless deaths. All in the prime of their lives, all with so much to give, and all spilled it, prematurely…

Today we honor our Nr. 15 of this year. The Treat and N Main resident had been living there since he was unloaded off of the EBMUD truck. No one knows that exact date. but it was a long time ago. As hydrants come, Sprinkly was a jolly fella. Living next to a gas station was rough. People from all walks of life would sit on it, pee on it, kick it, spit at it, flick cigarettes at it. He saw his share of accidents on the road, police chases, jaywalking, happy sex and angry beatings from the apartments across the street, gas thieves and convenience store robbers next door, and the occasional back of the head bobbing up and down from the driver seat window in the wee hours of the morning.
Yet he remained content. Until that day… the BMW sped up, Sprinkly saw it and made all attempts to divert him. But his arms were short and stubby. He couldnt move them fast enough. His leg was heavy and bolted down. He could not lift it.
It was a near instant. There was no pain. In fact, for a fraction of a second, the world seem to stop. Sprinkly’s whole life flashed before his metallic eye… and as he attempted to focus on one solitary event, he was lifted off the ground, shoved up in the air and laid on his side, wet…

Some say he was able to find that happy moment. The driver of the BMW swore he saw Sprinkly smile as his car prematurely ended his life. I think he was a victim of circumstances. Just like his 14 brothers before him. Let us mourn them, together. RIP Sprinkly!

34 Loriestories November 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Oh good I’m glad nobody was hurt. I said a “popcorn” prayer for the people in the car as I drove by this accident yesterday.

35 Mike November 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM

@ reality says #11 – I agree, I’ve been surprised by that very same Treat & N. Main corner. I lost traction there once, in near-freezing weather and light rain, and briefly slid out sideways, but caught it before anything more serious happened. It happened again, less seriously but in dry weather, and ever since I’ve been very cautious around that corner.

36 Tom November 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM

That corner is very slick, watch out. I too have temporarily lost control there, and regained control just missing the famed hydrant.

37 jtkatec November 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Bubba and Just a Concordian, thanks for the creativity. Way better than my attempts at hydrant obits.