Walnut Creek School District Hires New Director of Special Services

November 27, 2012 13:54 pm · 7 comments

Dear Walnut Creek School District Community,

I am pleased to announce that Peter Simack, former principal of Marchus Schools since 1995, has been selected as the new Director of Special Services in Walnut Creek School District. The Walnut Creek School District Governing Board approved Peter’s selection at their November 26th meeting last evening.

Peter comes to us with background at the Contra Costa County Office of Education in Special Education, Marchus School Counseling, and ROP. He served as a special education teacher from 1987-94. Peter also has served as Director of Education at Bay High School in San Francisco.

His past presentations include: Educating students with emotional and behavioral challenges and numerous presentations on the current Marchus School special education program.

When queried about Peter, Contra Costa County employees spoke of Peter’s integrity, his ability to lead and support diverse groups within the special education community, and his genuine commitment to ensuring that every student be successful.

We are delighted that Peter Simack has joined the Walnut Creek School District and know that you will offer him a warm WCSD welcome.

Sincerely,

Patricia Wool, Ed.D.
Superintendent
Walnut Creek School District

1 Jojo potato November 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

An announcement like this should also include compensation information
Like salary benefits pension etc. if they want us to vote for more taxes. Then we deserve to know where they are going. Wcsd is on my tax bill already

2 Peterfan November 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Congratulations Pete. Great choice WCSD….

3 N6th November 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

@Jojo: I agree, as a parent AND a taxpayer.
I would also like to see someone eventually admit (or just agree with me when I say it) that EVERY child is a “special needs” child. No two children are the same. At some point, we’re going to realize that every child deserves some type of specialized attention. The children who surpass the bar require attention, just like the children who are below the bar, and just like the children who are right at the bar.
We spend an excess of budget on one group of children. And as un-“PC” as it is, it is in fact because that group of children has a larger group of advocates. But keep pushing it, and keep ignoring the rest of the kids. The group that gets ignored tends to be the one that fights back with the biggest force. Which is exactly how the children who currently fall under the description of “with special needs” wound up with such a strong and forceful backing. They were ignored and brushed aside until finally their parents stood up and said “our kids deserve a future” (rightfully so). But what was the answer to that call? Put those children first, and forsake the rest. So, we still have the same problem. We just reversed the “group” of children. Here’s a crazy idea… Can we, at least TRY to, educate EVERY child to their level and capacity of learning? We can fund a necessary, but excessive, amount of aid for special need students, but we can’t find a way to support music art and sports (hey! ALL of which are things most “special needs” students thrive in and provide an outlet for them to excel and and gain confidence in).
Our district needs to be more open about it’s complete budget, including salaries and compensations, our parents need to stand up and advocate their children more, our parent and taxpayers need to realize and change the fact that they have no control over their Board other than their vote every four years, and all of us need to be active on every level in educating our children who are our future.

4 N6th November 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM

P.S. just to clarify, my comment is in regards to all school districts in California. Not just Walnut Creek or MDUSD.

5 Mac November 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Sometimes the people that think they know the most about what goes on in a school district.
Are looking from the outside in.
And don`t really know what it is like on a daily basis to run a school district.

It`s easy to sit back and be a back seat driver.
And think you have all of the right answers.
But really you are just kidding yourself.
Because you show you are on the outside. (by your comments)
And don`t really know how things really work.

Easier said, then done….
But continue to sit in front of your keyboard.
And think you have all the answers.
While the rest of us that are in the middle of it all.
Just sit back and laugh at your takes.

6 N6th November 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

@Mac, that’s why I said the Districts need to be more open about the budget. In its entirety. Maybe if you allowed your public a little more insight to HOW you run the District and WHY certain things are handled the way they are, we’d understand it better. I do not, for one second, claim that I could run a District better. Because I will openly and honestly admit that I never have and I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes. But, when its my tax dollars that fund it and my children that go to school in the District, I think I have a right to question it. I have done so, with my child’s district, and they completely ignored the concerns and questions raised by both myself and a backing of other parents.
Maybe you need to go back and reread my post. I also said the parents and taxpayers need to be more involved. I believe it’s a group effort. I believe the parents need to work with the schools, the teachers and the District to find answers. Maybe the WC District Board is better than mine in working with its community. If so, that is fantastic. The only experience I have with a District Board involves a blatant lack of concern for their community, it’s questions, concerns and requests. All I was saying is that their needs to be more open communication and team work. We need to be each others allies, not enemies.

7 vindex November 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM

@N6th. Good points. Regarding your “open up the budgets” comment. Totally agree. IT IS PUBLIC Knowledge. Look at the online agendas and go to a board meeting when they are going over budget. They do it at least 4 times a year. I’ve been to a few board meetings when budget is discussed. It is open and the public can come.