PHOTOS: Homeless Near Clayton Road & Treat Boulevard in Concord

November 19, 2012 · 170 comments

A concerned neighbor on Bel Air Drive in Concord wrote to Claycord.com the other day with the following message regarding a homeless person.

I am a resident of Concord and long time reader of Claycord.com. I live in the Bel Air neighborhood of Concord, near Treat Boulevard and Bel Air Drive. I am contacting you because I am hopeful that you may be able be able to produce the results that I have been unable do myself.

To the issue: Everyday for the past several months a homeless woman has made the corner of Treat and Bel Air her home, with everything from clothes, a fully loaded shopping cart, and everything she needs to survive on the street.

She is friendly enough and I have nothing against her personally or her struggles. However, I do resent her littering the neighborhood creek with trash, urinating and defecating on the street (in front of everyone), bathing herself, and attracting a rough crowd of people that are intimidating to me and I am sure my neighbors, continually drinking alcohol and screaming at passerby’s.

I cannot understand how this is acceptable. I have personally called the non-emergency police number at least a dozen times because of the screaming and the trash. I do not think there is another neighborhood that would allow this to continue, and I am baffled by the number of people that drive by everyday. Are people just complacent that this woman has made this corner her home. Let alone the fact that it is so cold at night and raining.

Most of all she needs to be in a shelter because it is so unsafe for her on the streets. I do not feel safe in my own neighborhood because of the people that she attracts. I wish something would be done. I have done all I can do on my own.

I am hoping that you can raise awareness to this issue, because I know that many people read your blog. Even just suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks for the note. You’re not the only one who is frustrated with this. Many citizens and business owners have complained about her constant littering and urinating on the sidewalk in the middle of the day (on the corner of Clayton & Treat & also near McDonalds on Clayton Road).

It’s frustrating, and as citizens and taxpayers, I’m not sure why we should have to accept the fact that people are allowed to urinate on our streets, litter our creeks and keep us up at night with their drunken yelling.

Your thoughts?….

1 Melody November 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I have seen her there a lot too. I have also seen cops talking to her several times but they never do anything. My “favorite” is when I drive by and she’s gabbing away on her cell phone. Yes, cell phone. She’s homeless, and manages to have a cell phone. And, who is she talking to? Why isn’t that person helping…?

2 jtkatec November 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM

“Are people just complacent that this woman has made this corner her home”.

The thought process is I’m driving by, it’s not my front yard.

Yes, we have become complacent.

I came across someone defecating inside a BART station, right infront of the elevator doors, the other day and sent off an email to BART.gov.

More terrible because the elevator doors opened, as this vagrant was standing up, and there was an individual, wheelchair bound, since birth, who had to roll through the human waste.

3 Swanky November 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Homeless people typically have medical issues that put them on the streets in the first place. I seriously doubt she is talking to anyone on that phone – its more likely a form of schizophrenia.

If anyone thinks its o.k. to bash people with medical conditions, you must be a bigger person than me.

People like this should not be in a shelter – they should be in the hospital getting treatment. “Shelter” is just a euphemism for “out of my sight.”

Once treated, vagrants need a place to be free. If they break criminal laws, they obviously have to be punished. But, we need a place where vagrants and wanderers can be themselves. Continually harassing them without offering the help they want hasn’t worked for generations.

4 Rebecca November 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Last year I had bought a bottle of water and a sandwich for her from Safeway (what was I thinking!) I drove to Staples where I had seen her before…I got out of my car and attempted to hand her the food and she told me to “hold on” as she answered her cell phone! I was in disbelief! A cell phone? Who is she talking to and why doesn’t she ask the person on the other end if she can crash at their place? I mean, seriously!? I know she most likely is on drugs/alcohol and the last thing she wanted was a sandwich, but my heart was in the right place when I first thought to do it. I have seen her using the curb behind the smog-only station and Staples as a bathroom and I’ve also seen her while I was stuck at a red light near Citibank use the bushes as a toilet! I have always lived in Concord and in this area and find it frustrating and hopeless. I have written to the city with no response or action…Frustrating to say the least!

5 jj November 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

i have seen people stop in thier cars to give these people money thinking they were going to buy food??? dduuuhhhh

6 Grady The Badger November 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM

She’s talking on her Obama phone. Probably talking to Barry himself.

7 Mrs. Rosalind Lutz November 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I just saw her yesterday for the first time

8 Triple Canopy November 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Offer her a ride to San Francisco where she will be considered part of the urban fabric. Their social and socialist services are awesome at everyone’s expense.

9 mama November 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Concord has home so much downhill past few years. We have so much homeless in concord now. It’s disturbing, however the police won’t or can’t control it. As long as they are not a threat to do u bodily harm they won’t do anything. Don’t ever give them money, if you want to help bring them a meal, donate a jacket to keep them warm or a blanket. Most all homeless I’ve seen In ncord are drunk, or asking for money for to buy alcohol or smokes. I feel bad for ppl that don’t have a roof over their head or a warm meal. The numbers of being homeless are growing so fast, its really heartbreaking. But, what is the city of concord doing to help these people or control the situation?

10 G non November 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Contact sgt Norris. He already knows all about her anyway, but he deals directly with neighborhood issues like this and can tell exactly what can and can’t be done.

11 Chuckie's Wife November 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM

@Swanky (#3) – You are right in your sentiment, BUT our laws prevent anyone from getting a mentally ill person committed. They have to do it themselves. The sad truth is that they don’t realize they need help, so obviously they won’t get it. It’s a never ending vicious cycle.

12 anon November 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM

So much clueless talking here. Don’t worry though, it’s not your fault… you know not of what you speak. I know who this lady is. She has family, they’ve tried to help her…. authorities have tried to help her. Yes , she has mental illness issues, but as I said in another thread, you can’t help someone who refuses help. Long long ago, we got so hung up on personal rights that even those who are so sick they have no idea they need help, can’t be forced to get it. We have 5150 and 5250 rules for a reason, however, Contra Costa County is a JOKE as far as its capacity to help people. Take someone in on a 5150, and the hospital will release them within hours unless they – at that moment – are a danger to themselves or others. And I’m not just talking hearing voices, or living on the streets. Lord knows has enough blankets. They just don’t have the room. The resources or the ability to house people who dont’ want help.. or say they don’t want help. There is a waiting list a mile long for people WHO REALLY WANT the help. There just isn’t much of a mechanism to help someone who doesn’t want it. So enough with blaming family, friends, why dont’ they take her in BS. .. because unless you’ve lived in the shoes of someone with a loved one with mental illness – you have no idea how helpless the feeling is.

If at some point she is hospitalized long enough to get her stabilized, and thinking somewhat straight for even a day or two , sometimes SOMETIMES you get lucky and they realize themselves the help they need. But it may take many hospitalizations, many trips to jail, many bad things happening before that happens, and some don’t get that lucky. Some die on the streets before they get there. There is no bottom for many of these people, they justify their way out of their bottoms, and they see things in a way we could never, ever understand.

Just give thanks you are not her, or her family.. if you know her family encourage them to support themselves w/ help from NAMI or other help. Help her to get help when/if she asks… but not before. Co-dependency will kill you both.

13 JRConcord November 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

We should hook her up with the homeless on virgina ln . There is now a camp on the food max property on Virginia behind the BS portable recycle box. As soon as the box came so did the homeless. can I just play paintball here at 4 am until they leave?

14 debbiedo November 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

what a good idea no long giving money but maybe Mc Donalds coupon for food or a blanket maybe a rain coat

15 @Melody November 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Nothing? The multiple tickets and arrests are nothing? How is it the cops fault that the D/A won’t prosecute, and the homeless lady won’t take the FREE housing?

I would love to hear your suggestions for the officers.

16 BearWithMS November 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I live near Clayton Rd. and Treat Blvd. There are several RVs that are hidden from view off Denkinger Rd. These RVs only have a wooden fence that separates them from the apartment complex I live in. The homeless reside back there. I’ve personally witnessed bags of trash being thrown over the fence onto our property. I’ve also heard a female chatting on a cell phone for hours. They are a rough crowd. There are a couple of males who are belligerent toward the woman and I can hear them threatening her. They scream at each other and bang on stuff all night. I’ve also had the occasional peeping Tom that scared the crap out of my cat and me. The area is supposed to be off limits and fenced, but the homeless still manage to get back there when it’s dark. I turn on my outside light to keep them from sleeping near my apartment. I haven’t had a decent nights sleep since I moved here and it seems like everywhere I’ve lived in Concord has been like this. It has really gone downhill since I moved here in ’06; it has turned into a ghetto IMO. I’ll be glad when our lease expires.

17 anonamiss November 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I live close by to where this woman has now made it her home. If she would respect the creek and the grounds around her, I would have no problems with her, But I agree. She has used this as her private trash dump. Throwing things in the creek and all around her. She needs to be cited or told to move on…..

18 Fritz November 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I refuse to help Homeless People on the street and I will tell you why.
My sister saw a woman in need and went home and gathered all her Clothes and items she does not use anymore. She packaged them all up nicely and brought them to the woman. The woman stood there and looked at them, did not say thank you and when my sister walked away the woman threw them all over a cliff..
Done and Done

19 Thankful for Claycord November 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I am so hopeful that something can be done about this finally. It has been too long and far too easily ignored. It is not right that this has been acceptable for so long. I will call officer Norris ad I will keep calling the city of Concord too. As neighbors in this community our voices should be heard. Enough is enough.
Whether its a shelter or hospital, there are more appropriate places for her to get help. Using the streets as a personal restroom should never be acceptable.

20 Joey November 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

The homeless shelters won’t take her she’s on drugs. She needs rehab and a stay at a mental ward.

21 Mama P November 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

If it’s the same person I am thinking of….I have offered to help her with county. There is a homeless shelter off Port Chicago Highway that accepts almost everyone. I told her I could try to get her on Medical or Medi-care and that the county had resources. Her answer? No thanks. She is mentally ill and has a “boyfriend” on the streets. She preferred being with him rather than going somewhere warm. I told her I would put her in my car and drive her over to the shelter myself immediately, as long as she was clean and sober (they accept no one with abuse issues-but do have resources they can give them.) She claimed to do no drugs. Her answer-“no thanks”….her family is loving and are heartbroken over this situation. They do not know that I offered this help and was turned down. Who knows what goes on in the minds of the mentall ill or why they even became that way. I always think “there but for the grace of God go I”…and you know-THAT IS true-my sister died homeless years and years ago after preferring being out on the streets, homeless. She had one of the worst mental illnesses a person can have and there was no talking to her. I don’t know the answer. But I can promise you that family often times DOES care but are at a loss as to what they can and cannot do. My sister was in another state and all they did was throw her in a drunk tank, dry her out and send her back to the streets. At one point I BEGGED a psychiatrist that I managed to get ahold of at the county she was in and told him she is VERY Mentally Ill and unstable. There was NO response (he was a county doctor.) Her autopsy report showed medications that should have NEVER been given her…it was just a “shut up and go away” way to deal with her. Again, I have no answers.

22 Concoridan November 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Homeless people seem to be flocking to Concord/Clayton in the past 5 or so years. Why is it almost invisible in San Ramon or Pleasanton vs Concord? What laws do they have that we do not? We need serious improvement in this area for the betterment of our community and in terms of assisting those who need it.

23 anonamust November 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM

@ Swanky, “Vagrants need a place to be free. But, we need a place where vagrants and wanderers can be themselves. Continually harassing them without offering the help they want hasn’t worked for generations.”

And letting them wander free hasn’t helped either. If it weren’t for that fact that many of them become belligerent and drunk, piss and $%#^ wherever they want and hassle the majority of us for money, make us feel threatened (especially since I have a small child), trash their surroundings, yell and scream at passerby, get into fights and brawls, steal from the local merchants etc. etc.
You can put them up in your back yard to roam free…….

24 mileena November 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

@Grady the Badger #6:

“She’s talking on her Obama phone.”

No, free lifeline cell phones are not available in California. And the program was instituted long before Obama came to office.

25 Parsnip November 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I agree with anon #12. The ones holding the signs about being “Vets, God Bless-ing and asking for donations” — will start multiplying over the next few days, and hoping to tag in on everyone’s Christmas spirit. Those aren’t the true mentally ill. On the contrary, they are too mentally competent to know how to bilk some money out of people. They hold the same signs at the same locations. They know darned well what they are doing.

26 TOB November 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Anon #12 is so right. Here is another aspect. Many homeless choose it. Many are functional adults that don’t want to work, others have mental issues frustrating family and friends who offer help. Lets not forget charity of Churches. Always willing to help but again they won’t go.

Problem is as said. People feeling sorry giving them money. FREE money. Why have incentive? Give them food period and be done. If more did that, these people would move on. As long as they can get money in pockets they will remain in area.

I mentioned before friends at Church son Will has well good to do family who tries to help. He refuses to work. That’s it nothing more. He does not want to work so he chooses to be homeless and hold a sign on Lone Tree exit asking for $$. DON’T DO IT! Bring them some food and when they decline true colors show.

Their are some GENUINE homeless and these people are stealing their charity. They don’t have family and unfortunate they have nothing. Give to those. When they stand on medium asking, those are functioning adults stealing charity from the real people in need. To prove it, again offer them food, even a fresh apple something. Most will refuse or toss it after you drive by. Real homeless are not on island mediums begging. Those are bums stealing from the real poor as they choose not to work flipping burgers etc.

27 Sandy November 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

The part that grosses me out is the urinating and defecating in public in areas where people have to walk. It’s bad enough when you go into a vestibule and can tell someone has urinated in the corner. Isn’t there some kind a law against that at least ? Exposing oneself in public or whatever ?
There are all kinds of diseases that are transmitted through human waste. And if its running off into the creek, it is compromising the ground water.
Just my thoughts.

28 Parsnip November 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

@Concordian #22

I don’t know if it’s laws so much as it is terrain, etc. Everything isn’t as “compacted” as Concord, etc. Too much open space for people who need as many “clients” as possible.

I agree that whenever they start loitering, they need to be moved.

29 anon November 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

the littering, urinating, etc., is my biggest with them too. it isn’t those owners pay their taxes and the police won’t do anything. it is getting out of hand. you can’t even go do your business down around todo santos plaza any more.

30 Just a Concordian November 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

@Concordian

It’s because we have Bart stations. And because CPD doesn’t care. And because Concord is the bigger city along the 680 stretch.
Pisses me off… yes they are mentally ill, a lot of them, but I do know that a lot of them just don’t want to be helped. I hate being insensitive about people’s needs, but they have got to go!

31 anonamiss November 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I had a cousin who lived and died on the streets. I am sure he had some mental issues and became drug addicted. His “family” were the people he knew on the streets. Since his own family, my aunt and uncle were such lousy parents I could see why he ended up there. My grandparents heartache as they waited for him to show up on their doorstep occasionally for food, clothing, whatever he needed. He died in a park with a homeless friend of his. He had an enlarged heart probably from years of drug and alcohol abuse. Living on the streets is a tough and brutal way to live. Many do not make it into old age……..

32 Mac November 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I agree there are a lot of homeless people with mental health issues.

But there is a big number of them, that just don`t like doing anything, or going by any rules.

It`s much easier for them to live their lifestyles, instead of cleaning up, and getting up early for work.

As long as they have a bottle and a piece of bread, they are good.

Mental illness is a big issue with a lot of them.
But being super lazy and not wanting to do anything, is a big issue with a lot of them too.

33 anonamiss November 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM

The reason there are so many homeless here in Concord is because our high tolerance for them. They exist in Walnut Creek, because they take surveys every year, but they lie low because of the intense police enforcement. Walnut Creek is a NIMBY city just like San Ramon,Lafayette, Danville etc. (Not in my backyard). Perhaps too, if they are arrested they are taken to Martinez and then released. Not much of hike back to Concord.

34 anon November 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

OK Concord City Council folks we need you to follow though and do something. Not just talk, but actually do something.

35 Arthur November 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Concord tolerates, enables, and practically encourages these people. And no, it doesn’t happen everywhere.

36 Babs@Concoridan November 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM

the answer is because Concord is the counties largest city hence it has the most resources from various programs that assist the homeless so they come here for help.

The hard part is it is not illegal to be homeless. Most have mental/drug/drinking issues but the “gov’t” can’t make anyone take part in those services.

Best advice is to NOT help the individual, give to programs instead. And if you see an illegal activity report it to the police.

37 @22 November 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I would suspect it is all the special assessments that are paid by the homeowners that live in those cities/ communities.

38 anonanonagain November 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Again, everything falls into the 1st amendment right category.” It’s my right to be homeless, it’s my right to defecate on the streets, it’s my right to use drugs, get drunk and as high as hell and then loiter around public places.Blah blah blah.” Some people have taken this fundamental right too far……

39 nytemuvr November 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM

@BearWithMS #16 My family used to own that land next to the apartments(part of the school then) on Denkinger Ct.(Rd. then) back in the 70s.It’s changed a lot since then. Looks like a good “camp” for homeless on Google Earth now. I read just recently they the “sign” people make about $15 an hour panhandling, never give them money.

40 Shannon November 19, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Very sad. Doesn’t seem to be any answers if the Government does not step in. I’m 64 years old. Growing up in Contra Costa all my life, Pleasant Hill, Concord, Port Chicago…….never saw homeless like this. However started to really notice it when Pres Reagan closed and changed the Mental Hopitals, relasing many back onto the streets. Had a niece that was thrown out of Napa at the age of 18. She is now one of these people. Where are the answers….???????

41 Sad November 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I have lived in this area for almost 19 years. Homelessness has gotten a lot worse. I bet her “cell phone” doesn’t work or she is talking to an imaginary person. I frequent the businesses at Treat and Clayton Rd near Togo’s and it looks really bad. Could you possibly call a shelter that might send someone out to try and persuade her to come to their shelter? I don’t know how that works. I had to wait for her to cross the street one day and it was scary. I bet if this was Lafayette, they would take care of these problems.

42 Kalyn November 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I live in the condo complex that is right behind this creek. I am thankful that my unit does not front the creek, but rather is in one of the other buildings in the complex. I do know of someone in the complex, however, that had a hard time selling their unit. People were reluctant to purchase as when you looked out the windows you looked out onto the creek and all that was going on in it. Our complex has also had problems with our pool/hot tub being used as for bathing.
Something should be able to be done!

43 You're not alone November 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Believe me, there are a number of homeless living and trashing the area behind the Safeway shopping center on Contra Costa Blvd. It’s a disgusting mess. It should be routinely cleared out but is not. When I call city hall and PHPD I’m sure they’ll jump right on it. Bwaahahahaahaha!

44 concordkiwi November 19, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I have lived in Concord for 10 plus years now and I have to say that I’m saddened to see it descend into a “toilet”. Big increase in trashed areas, graffiti, crime, vagrants and free stuff dumped on sidewalks.
I hope that people and I include elected government officials haven’t just given up.

45 Jud November 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

The problem is that officers of the CPD are paid so well, they don’t have to live in Concord (too many of them live here in Clayton)… so they don’t care what happens to that cesspool. For the CPD, actually doing their jobs will threaten their job security.

46 wow people November 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

class war fare I dont care what you think is right but get used to it or move
get over yourself we live in a time of extreme greeeeedddd.
the fat cat corps are not looking out for u or me or your family unless your made with off well its all in the money follow the money and see where this country is headed

47 Parsnip November 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

The ones with severe mental impairments are not “organized.” Especially to the degree in which they can compose a fold-up sign, know to show at the same location the next day, ride a bike, and have nothing else with them to prove the validity of their claim to be “homeless” and “in need.” Those are the ones who can work. But don’t want to.

48 CoCoOld November 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Gee, thanks again, Governor Reagan! We’re just havin’ a great time since you declared all those mentally ill people healthy.

49 Randome Task November 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

concord is trying to become oakland have been for years ….just wait for the feds to take over the policing just like oakland ..then maybe something will happen at least the council will get the boot and some of us will be able to sleep better knowing that ……oh and where are the bleeding hearts who want to spend our tax money catering to these bums …open up your house and lawn to these fools …but no you just complain and beg for compasion and yet turn away when the bums infest your neighbors …..hacks

50 Be Kind November 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM

The manager at the Safeway called police because of her shoplifting again. She had $1800 cash on her!

51 The Grant November 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Could always round em’ up, drive them to a remote location, and release them into the wild…

52 anonanonagain November 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I think the problem has gotten worse because so many programs are not as well funded anymore. Services for the poor and homeless are seriously hurting in this economy. Then you factor in the easy availability of drugs on the streets used to self medicate and you have some problems. We keep complaining about socialized governments, but they take care of their poor and homeless and try to assimilate them back into society. Here it’s a dog eat dog world……

53 Howard K Mullins III November 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I believe that the majority of the homeless right now have decided that the homeless lifestyle is what they want to live. The minority really need our community help, and its there for them.

As for the rest, I have no sympathy or empathy. These losers screw up our neighborhood and hide behind the facade of being homeless.

The police are hand cuffed by the bleeding hearts, and those same bleeding hearts keep feeding the worthless bastards. And just like any animal, as long as they are feed for free, they never go away. Anyone seen any of the local raccoon’s lately? They are huge and fearless. When the big quake hits, those guys will be on my BBQ spit first.

Stop feeding the homeless and they’ll leave. Remove the handcuffs from the police and they’ll leave. Round them up and ship them to the Mohave. Let them survive there for a while.

54 DD November 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I grew up in Concord and this homeless issue began when BART started running. I saw it happen. I was also invoved in a CALTRANS cleanup of a huge encampment in Concord where the “residents” where offered transportation to a shelter which, to a person, they refused.
Little or no sympathy from this guy.

55 Concord Mike November 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Stop blaming Obama and Reagan. This woman is being enabled by a cadre of supporters who give her money and whatever.

She is also a thief. I have observed her attempting to steal liquor from Safeway. A clerk stopped her that time.

56 Howard K Mullins III November 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

@ CoCoOld November 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Blaming Reagan for the current homeless?

A new high for the rampant lack of responsibility of the left. If it weren’t so terribly sad it would be hilarious.

Reagan has been out of office for decades, if your so damned upset at what he did, why didn’t you fix it?

57 Former Bum November 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I was on the streets at a young age partly because of substance abuse partly due to other circumstances. While I was homeless I stole, sold drugs, and panhandled to get by an keep myself with a steady stream of drugs alcohol an other things I needed. I was always respectful of the community i. e. keeping the area around me clean, trying to always use public bathrooms an just generally doing all I could to not be a nuisance. Often times being the black sheep of my peers for this. The way I feel is that we all have a right to be here from the man who pays a million bucks for his house to the homeless person struggling to get by on food stamps but no one has the right to make anyone else feel unwelcome in this world an that is exactly what this woman is doing. What’s even worse is she creates a bad rep for other homeless people that are clean and respectful like the man I often see at Walgreens panhandling with his big dog. I know that a lot of homeless have substance abuse issues an though I don’t support that I also don’t hold it against them. What was said about shelters is only half true it is partly out of sight out of mind but it’s also to the convenience of the homeless I know I spent many winters wishing I had somewhere to go an dry off every night. I don’t really have a point or know where I was going with this maybe just to say I have a big heart for the homeless but can also understand the publics feelings about a woman who uses the bathroom in public an leaves trash everywhere. All you can really do is pray for her an try to look the other way.

58 Antelope November 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM

If she come’s running after me again #Wacked

59 Anon November 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Arrival of Salvation Army on Clayton = Increase in homeless people in our neighborhoods.

60 anonanonagain November 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I agree with you Howard up to a point. There are those that are ill and those that could give a damn about conforming to societies rules. Being drunk 24/7 or high on who knows what is where they want to be. Plus the monetary handouts from the compassionate fools that fall prey to their way of life. If Be Kind’s comments are true and that homeless woman had $1800 on her then it proves that way of life can be lucrative if you have enough suckers…….

61 anonanonagain November 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Be Kind, how could you confirm that this woman had this amount on her? That would mean that someone would have to have taken her roll and counted it out? How could that be without absolute proof??

62 Howard K Mullins III November 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM

@ Anon November 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM # 59

Of course it did. Free food. Free clothing. Free whatever.

I would not be surprised to find that the SA brought a lot of those folks with them to justify their own existence and justify saddling the gullible with expenses they probably cannot afford.

The more I learn about these so called “charitable” organizations the less I trust them. Their greatest claim to fame is, in reality, their marketing.

63 South of Heaven November 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Get ‘er drunk and give her a ride to SF.

64 Triple Canopy November 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Wow. I actually agree with Mullins’ points.

65 Jack November 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Concord PD,

Time to step up and do your job. There are many possible solutions to this issue: a citation, custodial arrest based on likelihood the offense(s) may continue, or a 5150 W&I detention based upon her inability to care for herself. The bottom line is doing is not an option nor is it acceptable.

66 Randome Task November 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

really underfunded programs they dont want anything to do with programs you have to be sober and ready to stay that way ….stop spewing the same old we need more programs ….people when something does not work throwing money at it wont help …..when people do not want to live by the simple rules of a society they set themselves up for failure….kudos on being addicted and homless and fighting to get out of it ….i like those stories and yes those who help themselves to get up and dust themselves off deserve all the help we can give em …but no to the bums who revel in their own self deservance and lack of self respect ……i was just over there and saw more gathering and more booze being handed out ….thanks to the fools who give em money so they can stay in their holes and continue to fester and amuse our children ……yes i have lived in oakland alameda berkley and concord ….all the bums are all the same ……same as entitlement those who demand it often denounce it

67 trev November 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Put her on a one way trip to SF.

68 LostBoysMom November 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

@ Mama “Most all homeless I’ve seen In Concord are drunk, or asking for money for to buy alcohol or smokes.”
This may seem to be the case because they are the ones we see. There are many homeless who are truly down on their luck and would appreciate some help. They are the ones who go to the shelters and are willing to follow the rules and look for ways to get themselves out of their situation. The druggies and drunks should be rounded up. I know they need help too but we should not be enabling them or allowing them to litter and use public places for their bathrooms. They also put property owners at risk if they injure themselves or damage property or cause a dangerous situation for others.

69 ANON November 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Randome Task, I agree. There are those that truly need help and there are those that wouldn’t ask or get help if their lives depended on it. Why?? When people give them cash and they can remain intoxicated all day and night. I wouldn’t want that way of life. I’m addicted to a warm bed with clean sheets, a roof over my head, safety from someone rolling me over and a home cooked meal. I could never live my life on the streets. Then again I don’t mumble to myself or pee in my pants……

70 Elwood November 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM

There is a guy (guys?) in the median of the driveway into the Pleasant Hill Plaza shopping center on Contra Costa Blvd. in PH.

He has a sign that says “Homeless Will work for food” (or some such bull).

He stands about 100 feet from the sign in the window of Nation’s where they are always seeking “Help Wanted”.

71 Patti Ann November 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM

How horrible for anyone who lives near this or who has to witness this poor woman who needs help but refuses it. Public defecation and urination is disgusting and certainly should not be observed by adults or children. The Concord Police are wonderful but I can’t understand why there has not been an attempt by them to find community resources to deal with this issue. The poor homeowners who have to endure this plus the negative effect on there home values is unacceptable. Surely someone can help this poor woman. This whole scenario is very sad. Concord is a wonderful city and needs to deal with these issues. The fact that the “more elite” areas do not have this issue tells me that we must be doing something wrong here.

72 Starfish November 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM

@Randome Task
Random as always–how are you going to demand something and then denounce it. You demand something–but many times you have to wait for it. How long? That I couldn’t tell you…………

73 ChampagneKitty November 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Some of you may be interested in this program that Concord recently started:

74 Thankful for Claycord November 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Does Concord PD read this? I would love to send them all of these comments so that they see how big this issue is.

75 Starfish November 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Howard, you do make a lot of sense. I wouldn’t be surprised.

76 KJ November 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

She stopped me the other day and asked, “If I give you the money, will you go to CVS and buy me a bottle of vodka?” I said, “No.”

I’ve seen her several times riding the bus to Walnut Creek, where she said she was going for a court appearance.

Aren’t there laws about public defecation? It’s certainly a public health hazard.

77 karebear November 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I met this women.about three yrs ago,,she had a husband and beautiful home in.clayton,they divorced shelost everything,,after being on the streets so long shes turned into a thieving drunk,,none of the local stores let her in anymore,,i.know for a fact shes been.arrested several times even in.drive way where i live ,,last winter she stayed with her daughter but left cause didnt wanna follow rules,,,her phone works,she gets 1086 a month social security ,,she use to stop me as im walking down.c road but told her to leave me alone,she smells and is always passed out drunk in.different places ,,,,,concord pd is well aware of her dirty ass

78 TOB November 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

@Thankful for Claycord

No CPD doesn’t but the Mayor of Concord does.. LOL

79 WCreeker November 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM

There are plenty of homeless in Walnut Creek fouling the creek downtown too. My husband has called the police multiple times on a woman who soils herself — she’s coated in feces and urine, and still no one will do anything. If that’s not grounds for a hospitalization (perhaps a permanent nursing home) I don’t know what is.

As a general rule, don’t sit on any benches in downtown Walnut Creek.

80 ChampagneKitty November 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Also, here is a news segment from ABC7 News Eric Thomas about Doug Stewart, who is the founder of the Central County Homeless Outreach program:

81 anon November 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Oh my God for those of us who live near Clayton Road,Treat or Thornwood what a mess with all of the homeless people. Not only does she urinate, but so do the men and they could care less who see them. What does it take to clean up this area? Can you imagine a home buyer seeing any of this. They’ll leave quickly and look elsewhere. People of Concord open your eyes. The homeless are just ruining the Clayton Road area.

82 ChampagneKitty November 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Doug Stewart is also the president of the Change4RealChange board of directors…

Also, there is a group called “the Contra Costa Inter-jurisdictional Council on Homelessness (CCICH), which is appointed by the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors to assist and provide guidance in the development and implementation of long range planning and policy formulation of homeless issues in Contra Costa County. It also serves as an advisory body to the Health Services Department Health Care for the Homeless Program in compliance with Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) requirements.” (I borrowed that from the Contra Costa Health Services website). This groups meets regularly in a conference room at the Concord police department.

So Concord PD is very much aware of the homeless. As Babs said, it is not against the law to be homeless. The police cannot just sweep them up and get rid of them, as you want them to do. There are certain behaviors the homeless can be cited for, but they cannot be arrested just for being homeless. I’m not condoning homelessness, I’m just telling it like it is.

By the way, when I much younger, I used to be homeless myself. I lived in my car for a year and 3 months. Not here in Concord, though. The fact that I had a car that ran made a big difference, I think, in getting out of that situation. Also, I’m not mentally ill (I don’t think) and haven’t had any addiction problems. It was just bad luck. I managed to save up enough money to get a room to rent and then that was over. So because of my experience, I have a tendency to not judge the homeless too harshly. But it is frustrating to hear stories of help being offered to people and they turn it down.

83 Steve Weir November 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Unfortunately, not every case is conveniently solved by some magic government program, private charity, or individual family help.

I took over the care of a homeless woman in Antioch in the 1980’s. What an education. She had SSI/SSP, family, and a social worker, but she was too independent to follow their ‘way” So, she lived on the waterfront, homeless.

She was not on drugs or alcohol. She just wanted to live her own life. Her name was Ginnie, and we became friends.

With my family and friends, we cobbled together a support network that allowed her to live independly for 20 years. (Yes, she was a handful and difficult.) We secured for her a “subsidized unit”, St Vincent de Paul furnished it and we bought her a TV. This took over two years to pull off even though I was well connected in government.

We struggled to keep the ‘low lifes” from victimizing her, another tough battle. (Low lifes included high interest “shopping” catelog businesses, some so-called church friends, neighbors, as well as drunks wanting to harvest her $308 per month.) Don’t get me wrong there were many, many people there to help Ginnie.

When she could no longer live on her own, she went into a private board-and-care home in Pittsburg. There, along with a 92 year old woman, she was stabbed to death a few years ago by another low life looking to pick on someone weaker than themselves.

I was haunted by what I saw when I met her. I’m now haunted by the fact that we could not protect her from a horrible death.

84 Thankful for Claycord November 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Just drove by her… She is fast asleep without a care in the world.

85 wendy November 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM

karebear you are right on. Years back she squatted in the house that she owned and numerous calls were made to remove her. She chose this life. A few months back, she was arrested and had a case of scabies that resulted in fumigation of the jail and her belongings, a lot of which were tossed out.

Perhaps she could be one of Birsan’s first projects when he is sworn in. Let him put his money where his mouth is.

86 Rob November 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Fritz November 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM
I refuse to help Homeless People on the street and I will tell you why.
Done and Done

================================

So from that single instance you refuse to help homeless people now?

Did you consider that perhaps the woman had some severe mental issues and can’t properly process information?

If the woman had dropped to knees shouts “Praise be Jesus”, proclaimed your sister a Saint and put on some of the clothes I presume you would be a modern day Saint Francis of Assisi?

I just hope you don’t believe yourself to be a Christian…

87 Carol November 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

What if we locals got together to do something about this? Go to a city council meeting and make our case – or start a petition to give to the mayor and city council to do something about these people. Why should we sit by and let these homeless people ruin our neighborhoods – lower our property values – and harass our citizens. We don’t owe these people anything. I’ve lived in Concord most of my life, and worked hard to buy and maintain my home. I hate to see a nice little city like Concord turned into a dump! I’m willing to fight for my home – anybody in with me?

88 kudleme November 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I live right there. I no longer walk my dog that direction. I have talked to her several times. Her cell phone does work and she had a radio that she was listening to the Giants games on. She was attacked once that I know of on that corner. The creek is a mess where she “lives” as she tosses everything in it. Lately she has been leaving large Carlos Rossi wine bottles around. She told me she almost has enough money saved to get off the streets. I see people stop and give her money and food. I feel bad for her and I think you guys are right…She doens’t seem to want much help. The Police did clear out her “home” a few weeks back. She was back with more stuff that night.

89 anonanonagain November 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

@ Karebear, “she had a husband and beautiful home in.clayton,they divorced shelost everything,,after being on the streets so long shes turned into a thieving drunk,,none of the local stores let her in anymore.”

Well, that explains a lot. I have rarely heard of the term ‘a successful drunk’.
She is still getting her social security and squandering it away on booze and such. Sad. But she can still manage to pay her cell phone bill while crapping in the open streets…….

90 anonamiss November 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM

@ Champagne Kitty, thanks for sharing that amazing story. He deserves a medal for what he is doing to better the world…….

91 Doris November 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I used to ride BART into the City with her everyday. She always was dressed very nice, hair and nails done etc… she worked as a legal secty, had a home in Clayton, had children and a husband. I stopped taking BART and ran into her, a few years back at the bowling alley, She was down on her luck, but not homeless at that point. I tried to talk to her, but she became mean when no-one would buy her a drink. I have no idea what happened to her, but I’ve heard she chose this life style and is very content with the path she is taking.

92 Horse'n Around November 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Ok so let’s say the CPD give them a ticket for tresspassing, loitering whatever. They wont show up to court, they have no money to pay the fines with, so why write them a ticket?
Or, the police pick them up and put them in County for a 51/50. They will only be let out in a few hrs.
So what do you want the police to do? It’s not their place to just pick them up and put them somewhere. Contact the City Council. We just voted for new people to hopefully change Concord. The only reason you blame the police is because they’re easier to reach and get a hold of instead of our City Councilmen. No one goes to the meetings ( including myself ) and demands something be done. You have time to type and complaine about it on Claycord, type a letter to your City council members.This is why we voted for them. ( Well some of them anyway )

93 vh November 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Amen Carol.

94 David Molstad November 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Steve,
The cost of caring is high sometimes, joyful at other times. I hope you don’t stop caring as what you did is what community is all about. Its exactly what is needed in our more “self centered” society today. I dearly wish there were many more like you.

David

95 karebear November 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Yeah.my daughter and i have seen.her in.7/11 grass buck naked,shes just dirty and went around saying she was marrying this other druggy homeless drunk named patrick,,i cant remember her name for the life of me but she appreciates nothing ,,she is the biggest thief,,food maxx hates her along.with luckys cvs kmart ,super.8 liquors safeway ,,she stayed at the car wash by mc donalds for awhile ,garbage everywhere and smelled like piss,,,i gave her an umbrella once ,,the next day it was left under a tree ,,,i walk all around this area for exercise,many know me and they have nothing nice to say about her,,,her daughter tried

96 anonamiss November 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

As someone previously noted, it is not illegal to be homeless. Also you can’t physically drag someone off to a treatment program or shelter.This is not China. What to do?? With all the other problems the CPD have to face each and every day, thanks to the other lowlifes walking around, the homeless problem is probably next to last on their list. If we could find out what Walnut Creek and other surrounding cities do with their homeless, perhaps that would help. But I have a sneaking suspicion that they just round them up from their neighborhoods and towns and drop them off here……..Snobs who think that they have money……..

97 wendy November 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Another logical thinker, Horse’s Around. Everyone always blames the cops, but their hands are tied unless these people do something specific to break the law, like stealing, etc. The PD can’t just pick them up and dump them somewhere like a dog pound.

This is why Ricky Fisher has been locked up for so long. Anyone who has been reading Claycord will recognize that name. The PD was finally able to make a case against him for stealing and then he got out on parole, and something went south on that, so he has been back in jail for months. Has anyone ever seen him recently? It took months and months to make a case against him.

Again, I would encourage you all to contact our new council member, Ed Birsan.

98 TinFoiler November 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM

About 10 years ago, Myself and a few others made the rounds to all the underpasses and homeless camps to give clothes, food and Hope to the tenants.
Some are content and making ends meet by recycling etc, some are drug addicts or alcoholics, some are sex addicts, some were victims of molestation or rape. One guy was a contractor but didn’t think He could find work because He was missing some front teeth.
Another guy was cutting up some aluminum in order to take to the recyclers as the Pleasant Hill Police paid Him a visit – knowing Him by name.
One guy did show up to my old church about 3 years later to Thank us. He was clean shaven and healthy looking, difficult to recognize – He landed a job and was living (in an apartment) in Sacramento.

Some of you critics are less than a paycheck away from being where these are (NEVER say Never) as your Job is being outsourced to another country while you sing Kumbaya and watch DWTS and are consumed with mindless entertainment.

99 karebear November 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Im sorry.but most of the.ones around here have made this choice,one by the name of mike lived by me with his mom ,she passed he inherited 55 thousand dollars and it was gone in less then six months on drugs and alcohol ,,not a roof,,,,i know most of them around here i know their stories from just walking for exercise for the last 15 yrs ,,the old drunk richard got shelter and sobriety for a yr ,he left a few months back by choice and hes back doing same thing,there is help,they dont want it cause there are rules you must follow ,,,ill never give any of them money again ,,ever

100 anonamust November 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Tinfoiler, what you did was a very decent thing to do. Also a better understanding of who the homeless really are. Yes, there are many here that are just a few paychecks away from the streets, but many of these people are survivors and hopefully wouldn’t throw their lives away to alcohol, drugs and crime. The sad fact is there are many decent people that have fallen through the cracks but there are also those that would take you for everything you have if they had half the chance…… That is life unfortunately…..

101 Thankful for Claycord November 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Carol,
I will attend the next city council meeting and address my concerns. I agree with you wholeheartedly. For me this is not a matter of self-righteousness, this is a matter of public safety, sanitation, and the right to a neighborhood we can be proud of.
The police did stop by her “home” tonight and spoke with her for a while. I feel that this is a small step towards accomplishing an overall goal. I’m grateful that our concerns have been addressed and if the people here really care then I hope this is a momentum that continues. I will follow up with our newly elected city council and I hope other readers do to.

Thank you Claycord for giving us a forum to address these concerns.

102 Doris November 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Karebear–she receives ssi?

103 karebear November 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM

She certainly.does,,1086.a month thats why all the guy bums hang with her

104 karebear November 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I agree its not about being mean its about safety for the public and our children,,,,she had scabies for god sakes,if some innocent child happened to pick up her stuff,lord that would be horrible

105 dilligafman November 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

i see her and the others often as i am walking my dogs. dogs are the best at judging character and both of my dogs do not like her.

106 ^^Anon^^ November 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

105,
No. You don’t like her and your dogs sense that.

107 NRA #1 fan and member November 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Glad she and the rest of the bums are SMART enough to stay out of Walnut Creek

108 Doris November 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

karebear– 1086 is not a lot of money, but enough that she could at least get a room, clean herself up and become productive again.

109 Dutch November 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

You can thank the ACLU for much of this. The rest you can thank the bleeding heart liberals. Here, drink some more cool-aide.

110 karebear November 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I.know its not alot believe me ,ive raised three kids by myself i know that but it is enough for a room or a clean.room.at a motel.around here

111 banshee November 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM

She’s not alone in the Clayton Road area. It’s amazing that so many “homeless” use this area as their personal residence. The back side of the new Hobbie Town store is another favorite area to drink and fight. When I first moved to this area 25 years ago we had one man we called the mayor but he was mentally ill and lived with family on Matison Dr. Now is a haven for people that choose to live this way. I too wonder if there are laws that protect us as property owner in this area from people that spread filth and lower our property values. I know that there are people that say I should be ashamed for bashing these poor defenseless humans but when they infringe on my rights it’s time to do something. If not Concord PD then who?

112 Nameless November 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

@ChampagneKitty #73. The web site you recommended ( http://www.change4realchange.org ) is encouraging.

On the “Donate” web page, it states:

Your generous support will help the homeless (in Concord):

•  Get shelter and housing
•  Get medical treatment
•  Get food and clothing
•  Get counseling and advice
• And much more…

Those who believe “the drunks or druggies are hopeless”, are forgetting an important point. Many of them are mentally ill. They simply can’t get better without help.

Regarding the homeless woman. I have a suggestion that would be expensive, but worth trying. Perhaps the City of Concord could hire a case worker (trained social worker or Psychologist) to go to her “encampment” and meet with her regularly (and at least weekly).

Maybe the City of Concord could set up an “outreach fund” for her. People could donate to it in her name. I would. And though I have never met her, she is in my prayers. Her story is very sad, and it reflects very poorly on our society as a whole.

113 WCreeker November 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Anonamiss

Walnut Creek doesnt’ do *anything* with the homeless here. It is the same as this lady. It doesn’t matter what they do, there’s nothing the police can/will do about them. Bath naked in the creek? No problem. Start a fire under the bridge? No problem. Constantly steal bikes from the library bike racks? No problem. Make the bandstand in Civic Park your dump home? No problem. Walnut Creek is totally being overrun, and it’s disgusting.

Have you been to downtown Walnut Creek lately? There are bums *everywhere*. I read the Walnut Creek police logs — there are basically only 3 types of calls there — homeless problems, drunks at the bars, and confused old people dialing 911.

One guy was spitting on passersby — police did nothing.

114 simon November 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Oh, goodie, another bleeding heart person in Nameless #112. What rock have you been living under?

With layoffs, furlough days and budget cuts, you are actually suggesting that the City spend more money that they don’t have to hire a “case worker” and meet with Derise on a weekly basis? I am just shaking my head at your comments, and then further, suggesting that the City set up an “outreach fund” especially for this person?????? Hey, have at it – go visit her at 0000 Bel Air and give freely, and then go back into your bubble.

115 james November 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

The bums of Concord you see on a regular basis have chosen this life. Stop making it easy for them. I work at 24 and Telegraph. Two resident beggars frequent that intersection. One stares into the sky and makes the sign of the cross. “God Bless you” he exclaims. When his shift is over he heads around the corner where he gets into one of his two cars, A nice 4 door Cadillac or An Infiniti q45. God bless you indeed. The other is so drunk he falls down or needs to hold onto the pole for support. People still give him Money, I suspect he will die soon. Thanks to those “good Samaritans”. Wake up people.

116 un named November 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Unfortunately this is part of living in Concord along Galindo creek. The homeless are always living along the creek and just move from one location to another. I have been living in a complex along the creek for 20 years now and they have always been here. Many of them are homeless by choice not wanting to conform to society. Unfortunately the only solution to avoid them is to live in a higher scale city. As long as you stay in Concord they will be here.

117 karebear November 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

her story isnt as sad as others ,she has a great daughter who has tried to help her ,,she wont follow the rules

118 Palermo November 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I worked in the Tenderloin for 25 years, saw and heard just about everything. STOP giving them money, if you want to help them donate to organizations that can help them. They really need to change the laws about having people committed, it’s just cruel to leave them to try and fend for themselves. The women regularly get raped. So many of them if forced to stay on their meds might finally be able to think straight. I don’t see it happening in this state though, where everybody says “who are we to decide who is crazy and who isn’t”. So we let them die in the streets.

119 anonymous November 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

New to California and and new to Clayton/Concord. My biggest disappointment to moving here is the riff raff I have to encounter daily in Concord. I would have never moved to Clayton if I had known my encounters in Concord would involve safety issues. The Concod city needs better patorl and safety expections!! How many times I have seen people on drugs approach people in parking lots, not to mention myself and my kids. I’m very thankful we waited to purchase a home before buying. The city of Concord needs to step up their safety and patrol!!! It is a PROBLEM!

120 ChampagneKitty November 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

to anonymous #119: First of all, welcome to what we call Claycord! “Claycord” consists of Concord, Clayton, Pacheco, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, and Walnut Creek. Concord is the largest city, so it tends to get a lot of attention on this blog. I am a Concord resident and take an interest in the city and I can tell you that the Concord Police Dept. is short-staffed. There are more things they would like to do but they just don’t have the manpower (and womanpower). People can argue about why, but nevertheless, it is short-staffed.
I do understand your frustration; the other day, I had just entered the drive-thru of my local Taco Bell and the manager came out and yelled at a man on a bicycle, told him to leave or else the police would be called. The man was approaching customers in the drive-thru to panhandle!
I mentioned earlier a new program that the city of Concord implemented called http://change4realchange.org. It’s just getting started but it has the potential to do a lot of good. The key is, people have got to stop giving money to the homeless. Besides donating directly to the organization, you can also purchase booklets of vouchers for free services, like shelter, food, etc. So the idea is, next time you are panhandled, give the homeless person a voucher. They most likely won’t use it the first time they are given one, but if more and more people do this and stop giving them money directly, then we may persuade some of these people to either leave or make use of the services.

121 Randome Task November 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

wait what …i have to go to the city council to complain that someone on the sity streets is begging and loitering and drinking and above all bringing down the city ….where do these city council members live San Ramon …so they never see all these people ……..if i have to go to a council meeting to have something done about this then everyone is fired ….really that is outrageous …i am not looking to get speed bumps on my street …i want our city to be clean and respectable or we just fire everyone and let it go to the pittburgh/antioch..thugs and local bums …and move to Fresno lol where at least you know who is off …everyone is so you can be too ………sad days when i would have to go to a council meeting to report that bums are everywhere …you mean to tell me they dont ever go to the mall or even exit and offramp in concord ..and do not see the signmongers and cartjockeys all over the city …you have got to be kidding me

122 Caring Person November 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I forget her name but I call her the red coat lady even though she is wearing a different color coat now. Someone that cared gave her a cell phone and pays the monthly fees so she will always have contact in case she gets hurt living on the streets. I see her every morning and I am giving her food from McDonalds and she really appreciates it. I am so sorry that she is littering and not using a restroom. The police have brought her many times to a Pittsburg shelter and she just comes back because she states it isn’t safe. I agree that we need to do something about our homeless problem that we have.

123 mileena November 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I am pretty much sickened by some of the comments here against the homeless. Many of you do not understand the nature of homelessness. You only focus on the people urinating in public or begging for money. Most homeless people don’t do this. Do you realize many homeless work, volunteer, do not smell, and wear clean clothes every day? A lot of them live in their cars. They simply can’t afford to pay the rent in this area or anywhere else. There are in fact homeless people who post on this website. They also have laptops, cell phones, MiFi devices, etc. You need at least a cell phone nowadays, even if you’re homeless. Especially if you’re homeless, in fact. How else are they supposed to make and receive phone calls?? This isn’t the 1980’s anymore.

SSI for the disabled only pays you $854 a month, not enough for rent and utilities for even a room in a house in this area, where rents for these range from $550-$700. Social Security Disability and Retirement can pay less than this. The SSI amount (Federal Benefit rate or FBR) is in fact lower than the average monthly rent for all 50 states! Many of these people’s families will not help. You can’t even get on the wait lists for Section 8 as they open only every 4-6 years. And even then, they hold a lottery among all the pre-applications they get, so your chances are not very good. And there are waiting lists that runs years for HUD Rental Assistance, if you are a senior or orthopaedically disabled and lucky enough to be able to apply. But you have to have good credit.

Many people do not also realize most shelters have a time limit for living there, like 6 months at most, or just 30 days. There are also waiting lists for shelters. And they offer little to no privacy. Many also charge…who would pay rent for a mat on a floor with lots of other people? They also have rules that most non-homeless people would never tolerate. Shelters are not the answer. Neither are mental hospitals, which are not supposed to be homeless shelters. They can only hold you if you are a threat to yourself or others. Permanent housing and money to pay the rent for the homeless is the answer. If you give every homeless person Section 8, 90% of the homeless problem would go away.

124 mindovermatter November 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

This sounds like a crazy lady named Bernice or something like that.

125 @ Mileena November 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I don’t agree with you. I’ve read almost every comment. Almost all of comments seem to be directly related to the specific type of “homeless” mentioned in the article. In fact I’m a little pleased with the reactions by writers. Most all are frustrated with what we see every day on the street. I don’t believe we even come in contact with the “homeless” who have lost their home and job and are still trying to just survive. This breed on the street are in fact not your typical homeless person who might even be a bit family oriented. These on the street have totally used up their family or driven them away.
I believe he many writers have accepted that there are different levels of “homeless”.
The level they are writing about are really disgusting human beings (sad to say). I think we all understand that. Let’s give our writers and readers a little more credit.
It seems pretty clear to me that when a person pees and poops on the street that they have long since lost it.
I would have finished here but your last sentence shocked me. If you “gave” every homeless permanent housing the homeless population would probably double. You have to help them “the sensible ones” gain some self respect through a job. “Giving” has been proven to not be the answer. Yes, give to the charity not to the individual.

126 mindovermatter November 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Is this a women by the name of Darice?

127 anon November 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Amen # 125
If we go with mileenas suggestion why don’t we all become homeless and then we can all get section 8 housing! Yay! Great!! Oh wait who’s going to pay for everyone to have section 8, oh ooops….

Good gracious mileena, think through your solutions more thoroughly.

128 anonymiss November 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM

So there’s a lot of misconception about these homeless people…MANY homeless on the street WANT to be there..they leave shelters to go back to the street b/c that’s where they’s rather be so it’s a misconception that only those who want to do better go to shelters. Many only go to shelters to get help with getting on SSI then when the money comes they’re back to the street. It’s a cycle for most and actually sad. @Mama P for future reference you can’t just drop people off at the shelter, there’s a hotline that you have to call. Also, you don’t have to be clean and sober at that facility (though it should be). The mentally ill aren’t fit for all shelters but the shelter in Antioch does deal with the mentally ill. Many factors contribute to homelessness and even though it’d be nice to have more shelters and resources, if people don’t want to change whatever’s making them homeless, everyone’s hands are tied. But yet and still, I believe a clean and sober in the area would definitely help the situation, being that most who are coming out of program and thus are sober, can be helped more readily than those who are going from program to a “WET” shelter where people go in and out all day high or drunk or whatever they please which increases the likelihood that the person who just got clean and sober relapses and starts the cycle again….

129 Cruella November 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM

I also do not recall the homeless problem prior to the mental hospitals being emptied. The homeless and criminal elements seem to be getting particularly bad. I do think we pay for the homeless one way or the other. If they are on the street, we have to deal with garbage, being approached, crimes and policing, health care, jails, etc. I’d personally prefer more taxes (I pay plenty – 35 years and counting) to have the people with mental health issues taken care of and off the streets.

130 DoReMi November 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM

I guess we, as a civilization have to decide whether to force the help these unfortunates need, or let them continue to choose.

It’s a tough one because of the laws inacted that a person cannot be ‘incarcerated’ if they have not broken the law. When in fact, we just don’t have the facilities to deal with this group of filthy, unruley and often insane – mostly from substance abuse.

So. What can be done? Is it time yet to make the decision?

131 Parsnip November 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

#92 — Because if they accumulate a bunch of unpaid tickets eventually they get arrested. And, if they get arrested for stealing, drug-dealing, etc., it makes their record even worse. If nothing else, maybe it will keep them moving down the road.

132 vh November 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Carol if you write up a petition ill sign it. Im tired of feeling uncomfortable in my own neighborhood. I have a five month old and now i just want to get out of concord. If the city cares they would do something before all of us law abiding citizens move somewhere else clean and safe.

133 Starfish November 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

The only thing that has not been done is to force these people to get help. There are plenty of public programs, outreach programs, shelters, etc. that exist and are already paid for out of our taxes. What’s next–a tax to pay for vacant lots so they can be rounded up and chain-linked in?

134 skippy November 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

This transcends homelessness. This has to do with allowing the mentally ill to be out on the street rather than institutionalized, and we have Reagan to thank for that not Obama- which the idiot poster Grady the Badger would know if he bothered to open a history book once in a while. It also has to do with the police allowing public intoxication. As taxpayers we have the right to demand better. Keep calling and if the CPD doesn’t respond, start calling your politicians, and if they don’t respond, vote them out.

135 DoReMi November 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

“The ACLU argued for the end of forced institutionalization of harmless insane people, not Ronald Reagan.”

“Ronald Reagan did sign the Lanterman–Petris–Short Act in California as governor, which took effect in 1972, effectively doing what the O’Connor v. Donaldson ruling did nationwide. The bill had bipartisan support and was widely lauded by the left as a civil rights masterpiece. The ACLU argued for the end of forced institutionalization of harmless insane people, not Ronald Reagan.”

136 Zigfreid November 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I like the way you think Starfish. Plenty of room on the CNWS land to fence them in. We could build some gun towers and patrol the perimeter with guards and dogs. Give orders to shoot to kill anyone trying to escape. We can stop this now, by crushing the foul miscreants with an IRON FIST! We can call it “Camp Starfish” Really! I like this idea. Imagine yourself in a tight gray uniform with black jack boots, a smart little cap & a riding crop that you can slap about to give emphasis to your commands! McDonald’s parking lot will be bum free once more.

137 Libby Rahl November 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM

DoReMi, please…….. don’t try to confuse the issue with facts! It sounds better when we can just blame a Republican & keep repeating it until the mindless accept it as truth.

138 KJ November 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

DoReMi @135

Activists on the left also called for community-based services so that people turned out of mental institutions would be monitored and assisted, and not just left to roam the streets homeless. Money for those programs never materialized, as noted in your same link:

“There is another cause which can be partly put at Ronald Reagan’s feet though. By the end of Reagan’s term in office, federal funding for state and local assistance programs had been cut by 60%.

Reagan eliminated general revenue sharing to cities, slashed funding for public service jobs and job training, almost dismantled federally funded legal services for the poor, cut the anti-poverty Community Development Block Grant program and reduced funds for public transit. The only “urban” program that survived the cuts was federal aid for highways – which primarily benefited suburbs, not cities.

These cutbacks had a disastrous effect on cities with high levels of poverty and limited property tax bases, many of which depended on federal aid. In 1980 federal dollars accounted for 22 percent of big city budgets. By the end of Reagan’s second term, federal aid was only 6 percent.”

139 Starfish November 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

@Zigfreid #136
ok right–I would say only if I could have a whip with a flayed end and chinese finger traps; but that would seem inhumane.

140 To mileena November 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

People here are talking about the bums that DO bother people and shit all over the place. Its unacceptable.

141 Randome Task November 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

uhhhh really …..with the oh they cant make rent …hey they all hang out together pool the money and share the rent …can not believe i had to bring that to light …look the 20 bums that are ravageing the streets right now are the subject the people who come on hard times and go to the shelters and seek assistance and better themselves is not what we are discussing …..it is the ones who refuse to better themselves for what ever reason and the people who are being citizens and going to work and paying their way have to be subjected to this day in and day out …as well as the businesses that have to deal with these fools ….Nations…7-11….McDonalds …..safeway…….and dozens more …yet you weep for the people who take away business from these people and then want them to pay their taxes and such ….really bad form there ….like i said and always do if your bleeding heart is that offended by our comments then take in these 20 or so bums and we wont have to discuss this again …..

142 kat November 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Her name is Dorice. I used to talk to her a lot. She’s a very nice lady, just on the wrong path. Her cellphone does work, she’s given me her number. I’ve never called her, but many people have offered her help she just refuses it because she doesn’t want it. She does drink, but I’ve never seen Ger high. But who knows, I haven’t talked to her in awhile because it put my job at stake. It’s tough because I feel bad for her, but she really does need help. She puts herself in danger all the time, hopefully she will wake up and take the help many many people have offered her.

143 Mama P November 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Anonymous-I work for the county and we were told they turn no one away-even if it’s just for a night-they then can start looking for services. Here is another avenue if someone has Darice’s phone number:
Doug Stewart
Central County Homeless Outreach
925-812-3511
doug@homelessoutreach.net

144 forthelove November 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I believe that she does have some sort of mental illness. She is a stalker and likes to harass people. She gets peoples personal information and uses it harm them. My advise is to stay away from this lady. She definitely has issues and before she went homeless she use to represent herself as a paralegal or something to do with law.

145 Horse'n Around November 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

@ Parsnip. Do you really think they care if they get arrested? Free food, board, and a shower. They will be out in what? A day? They don’t care if they have an arrest record. And they wont move somewhere else either. They have free shelter and television, they can drink there also, it’s not a dry shelter.They can play games and have a smoking area at the shelter by Lowes. Also I believe there might be a soup kitchen out that way also. And people support them by giving them money as they panhandle. So why should they move anywhere else? They have all there needs givin to them.

146 Parsnip November 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM

@ #145 — Of course they wouldn’t care. They’d be happy. The fact is that they would be moved off the streets or to different locations, and anyone living around them and having to deal with them would be happiER.

147 anonanonagain November 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM

@ Palermo, ” So many of them if forced to stay on their meds might finally be able to think straight. I don’t see it happening in this state though, where everybody says “who are we to decide who is crazy and who isn’t”. So we let them die in the streets.”

I agree with you to an extent, but then people could abuse their authority on who is deemed fit for society and who is not. Remember the good old days when people were dragged off the street because some “expert” in the field deemed someone incompetent or crazy and then threw them into institutions and forced lobotomies? People that have now come forth tell their dire tale…. It’s a complicated issue and can be a slippery slope.

148 anonamiss November 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Many European countries and places such as Australia and the like do not have the near amount of homeless people that we do, Especially the mentally ill. People complain about not wanting to be a socialist government but there are many good things that come from those governments. Healthcare for it’s citizens, especially the elderly, children and the poor? We seem to worship the monied and that is all. Humanitarianism is seriously lacking in this society.

149 anonamiss November 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM

“We seem to worship the monied and that is all. Humanitarianism is seriously lacking in this society.”

Some people have confused humanitarianism with Liberalism……

150 what the heck November 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I am so sick of you people bashing the CPD. Don’t you think maybe their hand’s are tied. They are always giving tickets to these people. They try to keep the homeless under some control but they have no control anymore. They are behind the virtual rock and hard spot. I don’t have a problem with the homeless until they are using the area for a toilet! Or garbage dump! I don’t want to see it or smell it! Give me a break! Quit blaming CPD!

151 Howard K Mullins III November 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Re; CPD

The bleeding hearts have handcuffed the CPD in so many ways that they cannot perform many of the duties many citizens would like them to perform.

Someone blamed Reagan for the mentally ill on the street today. My reply was that if the mentally ill on the street are offensive, why not reverse Reagan’s orders. Perhaps he was right in the first place, the state simply cannot manage a system for the mentally ill appropriately.

152 J. November 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

What toilet is Dorice supposed to use? Where?

153 Doris November 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Being homeless is a choice. There are many options out there.

154 tyler November 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

SHES MARK LANGFORDS MOTHER HE WENT TO CLAYTON VALLEY AN GRADUATED 2003 I THINK. SHE WAS A VERY NICE LADY IN HIGH SCHOOL SHE WOULD LET US ALL COME OVER TO HER HOUSE AN PARTY. I GUESS SHE GOT INTO DRUGS AN ALCOHOL GOT A DIVORSE AN ENDED UP ON THE STREETS OF CONCORD FROM HER HOME IN THE STATE STREETS

155 karebear November 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Her name is doreen she gets used by all the bums for her ssi ,,,shes a total lush and wont take help

156 anonamust November 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

@Howard K Mullins III, “As long as people keep voting and promoting the eternal entitlement give away program and criminals, dead beat and scum bags have more rights and privileged then tax paying citizens, demented old ladies will wander the street, untouchable.”

So what do you propose? A bus that comes and takes them away in the middle of the night and then assigns padded cells and shock therapy? Entitlements? So, the mentally ill fall into this category? Children who have drug addicted parents? You have called many here bleeding hearts when your heart has ceased to exist. Were not proposing you toss money from the back of a van to all who will take it, but there has to be some solution. Again I ask Mr. Mullins the 3rd, imperial warrior, what can we do??

157 another just me November 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Yes some of you are right and some are wrong…she used to be a very nice and sane person, but things have changed…she has chosen this lifestyle and no one can change this not her friends (which I used to be one) or her family, we have all tried…it’s very sad that she will not accept our help…it saddens me to see her out on the streets, I can only hope she gets better and I did tell her that just yesterday

158 Anon November 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Concordian #22: These vagrants started flocking to Concord many years ago. As long as there are food kitchens and people who will give them money they will come. I see Concord turning into another Richmond. These used to be a wonderful community to live in.

159 anonymiss November 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM

@Mama P The shelter has to stick to a capacity this year and are therefore unable to take in every overnighter as was previously the case. Doug Stewart is awesome though :)

160 Dennis November 21, 2012 at 2:05 AM

anonanonagain people wwho have had frontal logotomies (a practice that was ended in the 1930s) can not, did not, come forth to tell their stories. They can’t even talk, or form rational thoughts. I guess what you heard was urban myth. maybe you should ask the motivation of those who spread the myth.

161 Dennis November 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM

(I really need to get a lighted keyboard)

and for those blaming Reagan, waaaaay back in prehistory, cutting federal aid to 6%? how has 30 years of throwing money at ‘social services’ people accomplished anything? there are thousands of social workers in CoCo county, spending Millions of dollars a year, and the result is that California now has 30% of all the welfare, but only 10% of the population, in the USA.
The problem is growing, not diminishing. So is the number of tax-dollar-paid social workers, their administrations, and their multi-million dollar buildings. Those house civil service tax leeches, not the homeless.

Empty the buildings of social workers, and put the homeless there. spend the dollars on the homeless, instead of the social workers, who outnumber the homeless by 1000 to 1.

Better get it done soon: with AB109 dumping state prison felons back to the counties, and the counties dumping their prisoners back on the street to make room for them, and the police rudely pointing out that they can only lock someone up if they release someone already locked up to make room for them, you are going to be seeing dozens or hundreds of criminals displacing, and probably victimizing, these homeless people as a result.

and then they’ll start on you.

who to blame? those of you who, thinking you are doing “good”, are actually perpetuating a system that should be labelled “EPIC FAIL”, by voting for politicians who stay in office by spending lots of your tax dollars on administrators (of both social welfare and teachers, pay them $300K/year to administer a system where all the money goes to the administrators, rather than to the poor, the homelss, or even the students.

Next time you go past Outback, get a look at those offices, and see how many people work there, ostensibly to give your money to the needy. If you got ris of them, and used the buildings and money for the needy, we’d all be better off.

162 Horse'n Around November 21, 2012 at 6:33 AM

CPD people are not your personal marriage councelors. Stop calling them when you and your spouse can’t get along. They are not there to parent your disobedient child. That’s your job. They are not the ones to call because there is an off leash dog at the dog park. That’s what animal controll is for. Your neighbor is playing his music too loud. Go tell him nicely to turn it down. There are so many other people you should be calling. But because some are too lazy to look up a number they call the PD first, then get mad and blame the police and call them lazy when they should of called the right people to begin with.

163 Mama P November 21, 2012 at 7:32 AM

NOT all homeless choose to be so.

164 Renee November 21, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Just a little insight for some of you….

1) No, there are NOT enough resources for the homeless. Shelters are frequently full and homeless are turned away and put on a wait list.

2) There are transitional housing places, but many have certain requirements; such as you must have a kid under 18 in your custody.

3) Shelters from other cities in CC County bring their their homeless clients to other shelters and drop them off making more room for homeless in their own cities. To those thinking they are choosing to come up here, that isn’t *always* the case. Many are put in a county van and brought here and dropped off.

I have a homeless family member who has mental disabilities. I have been working with the country for over 5 years to get him the help he needs. There are frequent road blocks and walls standing in the way to help. Especially because of the disability it makes it that much harder to get them the help they need. Things seem to be looking up, and I truly hope he can get the help he needs sooner rather than later.

Anyways my point is, it isn’t always as simple as saying here’s a shelter – go in. Because they may not even have a bed available for them for 6 months. And it isn’t always as simple as telling them they need to get help and leaving it at that. If they have a mental disability they may not understand HOW to go about getting that help.

Granted, this isn’t always the case. And, yes, there are those that choose the lifestyle.

165 Renee November 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Sorry, typo. Meant *county not country.

166 anon November 21, 2012 at 8:04 AM

She had a husband and kids (at least one with some issues of his own), she lived in the State Streets. Her husband left her and her mental illness started taking over. I knew her during that period and she was a scary person. She was paranoid, clearly being irrational but attacking, threatening and purposely maligning everyone in her path.

Her house looked like a house from hoarders with paths through it, so clearly things were not “ok” for a long while. The dry wall was down in many areas, bullet holes even in the front window (her kid was in a rough crowd). Unfortunately, the stress took it’s toll and though she may have always had a mental illness issue, it came roaring to the surface during the time of her divorce. She fought hard to keep that house, she had attorneys refuse to continue the case when she filed formal complaints about them too. Her husband had a hard time with this one… and probably by the time the house was gone, it was mortgaged to the hilt with lawyer fees likely leaving her (and him) with nothing.

When a new owner took over to begin renovations , they had to put up fencing as she kept returning. It really is sad to see what someone described as well kept and going to work in the city to what I saw then, and what we all see now. We should be thankful. It is a disease and like cancer, there’s not much warning on who will get it, or when you will no longer be able to cope.

Dorice needs help but as has been stated time and time again, it’s been offered. ITs’ up to her. Maybe the right group of people w/ experience could approach her and she’d have an “ah ha” moment, but it’s doubtful.

167 Howard K Mullins III November 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM

@ anonamust November 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM #156

Imperial Warrior? Thank you! Though I am not Japanese, I respect the compliment.

Your question of “what can we do?” is nicely set up by the previous comments. You clearly see that there is no one answer for the multitude of concerns. I have suggestions, but probably not of the answers.

Mentally ill need appropriate shelter, medical assistance, oftentimes therapy and perhaps mood altering medication. But does that answer fit all of them? Certainly not.

Drug addicts need appropriate shelter, medical attention, abuse eradication and therapy. But does each and every addict want to be saved? Many do not. What about those who are not ready to recover?

Many homeless want to be homeless. For them its the chosen life style. They can be criminals, drunks, addicts, child molesters, or simply lazy. Some may want services, some shun services, some want to be left alone.

My idea of how to deal with all of these different issues is as complex as the issues.

The government is not capable of dealing with the complexity of the problems. I think offering various non profit and charitable organizations the opportunity to specialize in specific areas of mental health or drug addiction and such, letting compassionate people work with the individuals and supplying what is needed.

There are some cases where some of the scum need to be loaded on a truck and shipped one way to the Sahara.

Those choices need to be made. Who should make the choices? We the people. Committees of citizens not burdened with politics.

Of course my proposals are “pie in the sky” and unacceptable by many. Unattainable mostly. But it is a least a direction to begin the many steps of the path that will need to change direction many times.

Government is not the answer, it’s ‘we the people’, who are ultimately the best answer. Working for our fellow man, being of service to others, treating others as we would like to be treated and being responsible and accountable.

168 kudleme November 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Funny thing…She wasn’t there last night. Thanks Claycord!

169 @Anon #166 November 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Don’t think she won’t ever have that ah hah moment. It very well could happen. It took my mom 10 years to have that ah hah moment. Don’t give up.

170 anonanonagain November 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

@ Dennis, I was not implying that those people who had frontal lobotomies told their tales, it was the people that were dragged off the streets and institutionalized that were able to recount their misery…. I’m not that daft…..