PHOTOS: Homeless Near Clayton Road & Treat Boulevard in Concord

November 19, 2012 9:38 am · 170 comments

A concerned neighbor on Bel Air Drive in Concord wrote to Claycord.com the other day with the following message regarding a homeless person.

I am a resident of Concord and long time reader of Claycord.com. I live in the Bel Air neighborhood of Concord, near Treat Boulevard and Bel Air Drive. I am contacting you because I am hopeful that you may be able be able to produce the results that I have been unable do myself.

To the issue: Everyday for the past several months a homeless woman has made the corner of Treat and Bel Air her home, with everything from clothes, a fully loaded shopping cart, and everything she needs to survive on the street.

She is friendly enough and I have nothing against her personally or her struggles. However, I do resent her littering the neighborhood creek with trash, urinating and defecating on the street (in front of everyone), bathing herself, and attracting a rough crowd of people that are intimidating to me and I am sure my neighbors, continually drinking alcohol and screaming at passerby’s.

I cannot understand how this is acceptable. I have personally called the non-emergency police number at least a dozen times because of the screaming and the trash. I do not think there is another neighborhood that would allow this to continue, and I am baffled by the number of people that drive by everyday. Are people just complacent that this woman has made this corner her home. Let alone the fact that it is so cold at night and raining.

Most of all she needs to be in a shelter because it is so unsafe for her on the streets. I do not feel safe in my own neighborhood because of the people that she attracts. I wish something would be done. I have done all I can do on my own.

I am hoping that you can raise awareness to this issue, because I know that many people read your blog. Even just suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks for the note. You’re not the only one who is frustrated with this. Many citizens and business owners have complained about her constant littering and urinating on the sidewalk in the middle of the day (on the corner of Clayton & Treat & also near McDonalds on Clayton Road).

It’s frustrating, and as citizens and taxpayers, I’m not sure why we should have to accept the fact that people are allowed to urinate on our streets, litter our creeks and keep us up at night with their drunken yelling.

Your thoughts?….

101 Thankful for Claycord November 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Carol,
I will attend the next city council meeting and address my concerns. I agree with you wholeheartedly. For me this is not a matter of self-righteousness, this is a matter of public safety, sanitation, and the right to a neighborhood we can be proud of.
The police did stop by her “home” tonight and spoke with her for a while. I feel that this is a small step towards accomplishing an overall goal. I’m grateful that our concerns have been addressed and if the people here really care then I hope this is a momentum that continues. I will follow up with our newly elected city council and I hope other readers do to.

Thank you Claycord for giving us a forum to address these concerns.

102 Doris November 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Karebear–she receives ssi?

103 karebear November 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM

She certainly.does,,1086.a month thats why all the guy bums hang with her

104 karebear November 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I agree its not about being mean its about safety for the public and our children,,,,she had scabies for god sakes,if some innocent child happened to pick up her stuff,lord that would be horrible

105 dilligafman November 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

i see her and the others often as i am walking my dogs. dogs are the best at judging character and both of my dogs do not like her.

106 ^^Anon^^ November 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

105,
No. You don’t like her and your dogs sense that.

107 NRA #1 fan and member November 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Glad she and the rest of the bums are SMART enough to stay out of Walnut Creek

108 Doris November 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

karebear– 1086 is not a lot of money, but enough that she could at least get a room, clean herself up and become productive again.

109 Dutch November 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

You can thank the ACLU for much of this. The rest you can thank the bleeding heart liberals. Here, drink some more cool-aide.

110 karebear November 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I.know its not alot believe me ,ive raised three kids by myself i know that but it is enough for a room or a clean.room.at a motel.around here

111 banshee November 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM

She’s not alone in the Clayton Road area. It’s amazing that so many “homeless” use this area as their personal residence. The back side of the new Hobbie Town store is another favorite area to drink and fight. When I first moved to this area 25 years ago we had one man we called the mayor but he was mentally ill and lived with family on Matison Dr. Now is a haven for people that choose to live this way. I too wonder if there are laws that protect us as property owner in this area from people that spread filth and lower our property values. I know that there are people that say I should be ashamed for bashing these poor defenseless humans but when they infringe on my rights it’s time to do something. If not Concord PD then who?

112 Nameless November 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

@ChampagneKitty #73. The web site you recommended ( http://www.change4realchange.org ) is encouraging.

On the “Donate” web page, it states:

Your generous support will help the homeless (in Concord):

•  Get shelter and housing
•  Get medical treatment
•  Get food and clothing
•  Get counseling and advice
• And much more…

Those who believe “the drunks or druggies are hopeless”, are forgetting an important point. Many of them are mentally ill. They simply can’t get better without help.

Regarding the homeless woman. I have a suggestion that would be expensive, but worth trying. Perhaps the City of Concord could hire a case worker (trained social worker or Psychologist) to go to her “encampment” and meet with her regularly (and at least weekly).

Maybe the City of Concord could set up an “outreach fund” for her. People could donate to it in her name. I would. And though I have never met her, she is in my prayers. Her story is very sad, and it reflects very poorly on our society as a whole.

113 WCreeker November 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Anonamiss

Walnut Creek doesnt’ do *anything* with the homeless here. It is the same as this lady. It doesn’t matter what they do, there’s nothing the police can/will do about them. Bath naked in the creek? No problem. Start a fire under the bridge? No problem. Constantly steal bikes from the library bike racks? No problem. Make the bandstand in Civic Park your dump home? No problem. Walnut Creek is totally being overrun, and it’s disgusting.

Have you been to downtown Walnut Creek lately? There are bums *everywhere*. I read the Walnut Creek police logs — there are basically only 3 types of calls there — homeless problems, drunks at the bars, and confused old people dialing 911.

One guy was spitting on passersby — police did nothing.

114 simon November 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Oh, goodie, another bleeding heart person in Nameless #112. What rock have you been living under?

With layoffs, furlough days and budget cuts, you are actually suggesting that the City spend more money that they don’t have to hire a “case worker” and meet with Derise on a weekly basis? I am just shaking my head at your comments, and then further, suggesting that the City set up an “outreach fund” especially for this person?????? Hey, have at it – go visit her at 0000 Bel Air and give freely, and then go back into your bubble.

115 james November 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

The bums of Concord you see on a regular basis have chosen this life. Stop making it easy for them. I work at 24 and Telegraph. Two resident beggars frequent that intersection. One stares into the sky and makes the sign of the cross. “God Bless you” he exclaims. When his shift is over he heads around the corner where he gets into one of his two cars, A nice 4 door Cadillac or An Infiniti q45. God bless you indeed. The other is so drunk he falls down or needs to hold onto the pole for support. People still give him Money, I suspect he will die soon. Thanks to those “good Samaritans”. Wake up people.

116 un named November 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Unfortunately this is part of living in Concord along Galindo creek. The homeless are always living along the creek and just move from one location to another. I have been living in a complex along the creek for 20 years now and they have always been here. Many of them are homeless by choice not wanting to conform to society. Unfortunately the only solution to avoid them is to live in a higher scale city. As long as you stay in Concord they will be here.

117 karebear November 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

her story isnt as sad as others ,she has a great daughter who has tried to help her ,,she wont follow the rules

118 Palermo November 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I worked in the Tenderloin for 25 years, saw and heard just about everything. STOP giving them money, if you want to help them donate to organizations that can help them. They really need to change the laws about having people committed, it’s just cruel to leave them to try and fend for themselves. The women regularly get raped. So many of them if forced to stay on their meds might finally be able to think straight. I don’t see it happening in this state though, where everybody says “who are we to decide who is crazy and who isn’t”. So we let them die in the streets.

119 anonymous November 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

New to California and and new to Clayton/Concord. My biggest disappointment to moving here is the riff raff I have to encounter daily in Concord. I would have never moved to Clayton if I had known my encounters in Concord would involve safety issues. The Concod city needs better patorl and safety expections!! How many times I have seen people on drugs approach people in parking lots, not to mention myself and my kids. I’m very thankful we waited to purchase a home before buying. The city of Concord needs to step up their safety and patrol!!! It is a PROBLEM!

120 ChampagneKitty November 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

to anonymous #119: First of all, welcome to what we call Claycord! “Claycord” consists of Concord, Clayton, Pacheco, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, and Walnut Creek. Concord is the largest city, so it tends to get a lot of attention on this blog. I am a Concord resident and take an interest in the city and I can tell you that the Concord Police Dept. is short-staffed. There are more things they would like to do but they just don’t have the manpower (and womanpower). People can argue about why, but nevertheless, it is short-staffed.
I do understand your frustration; the other day, I had just entered the drive-thru of my local Taco Bell and the manager came out and yelled at a man on a bicycle, told him to leave or else the police would be called. The man was approaching customers in the drive-thru to panhandle!
I mentioned earlier a new program that the city of Concord implemented called http://change4realchange.org. It’s just getting started but it has the potential to do a lot of good. The key is, people have got to stop giving money to the homeless. Besides donating directly to the organization, you can also purchase booklets of vouchers for free services, like shelter, food, etc. So the idea is, next time you are panhandled, give the homeless person a voucher. They most likely won’t use it the first time they are given one, but if more and more people do this and stop giving them money directly, then we may persuade some of these people to either leave or make use of the services.

121 Randome Task November 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

wait what …i have to go to the city council to complain that someone on the sity streets is begging and loitering and drinking and above all bringing down the city ….where do these city council members live San Ramon …so they never see all these people ……..if i have to go to a council meeting to have something done about this then everyone is fired ….really that is outrageous …i am not looking to get speed bumps on my street …i want our city to be clean and respectable or we just fire everyone and let it go to the pittburgh/antioch..thugs and local bums …and move to Fresno lol where at least you know who is off …everyone is so you can be too ………sad days when i would have to go to a council meeting to report that bums are everywhere …you mean to tell me they dont ever go to the mall or even exit and offramp in concord ..and do not see the signmongers and cartjockeys all over the city …you have got to be kidding me

122 Caring Person November 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I forget her name but I call her the red coat lady even though she is wearing a different color coat now. Someone that cared gave her a cell phone and pays the monthly fees so she will always have contact in case she gets hurt living on the streets. I see her every morning and I am giving her food from McDonalds and she really appreciates it. I am so sorry that she is littering and not using a restroom. The police have brought her many times to a Pittsburg shelter and she just comes back because she states it isn’t safe. I agree that we need to do something about our homeless problem that we have.

123 mileena November 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I am pretty much sickened by some of the comments here against the homeless. Many of you do not understand the nature of homelessness. You only focus on the people urinating in public or begging for money. Most homeless people don’t do this. Do you realize many homeless work, volunteer, do not smell, and wear clean clothes every day? A lot of them live in their cars. They simply can’t afford to pay the rent in this area or anywhere else. There are in fact homeless people who post on this website. They also have laptops, cell phones, MiFi devices, etc. You need at least a cell phone nowadays, even if you’re homeless. Especially if you’re homeless, in fact. How else are they supposed to make and receive phone calls?? This isn’t the 1980’s anymore.

SSI for the disabled only pays you $854 a month, not enough for rent and utilities for even a room in a house in this area, where rents for these range from $550-$700. Social Security Disability and Retirement can pay less than this. The SSI amount (Federal Benefit rate or FBR) is in fact lower than the average monthly rent for all 50 states! Many of these people’s families will not help. You can’t even get on the wait lists for Section 8 as they open only every 4-6 years. And even then, they hold a lottery among all the pre-applications they get, so your chances are not very good. And there are waiting lists that runs years for HUD Rental Assistance, if you are a senior or orthopaedically disabled and lucky enough to be able to apply. But you have to have good credit.

Many people do not also realize most shelters have a time limit for living there, like 6 months at most, or just 30 days. There are also waiting lists for shelters. And they offer little to no privacy. Many also charge…who would pay rent for a mat on a floor with lots of other people? They also have rules that most non-homeless people would never tolerate. Shelters are not the answer. Neither are mental hospitals, which are not supposed to be homeless shelters. They can only hold you if you are a threat to yourself or others. Permanent housing and money to pay the rent for the homeless is the answer. If you give every homeless person Section 8, 90% of the homeless problem would go away.

124 mindovermatter November 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

This sounds like a crazy lady named Bernice or something like that.

125 @ Mileena November 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I don’t agree with you. I’ve read almost every comment. Almost all of comments seem to be directly related to the specific type of “homeless” mentioned in the article. In fact I’m a little pleased with the reactions by writers. Most all are frustrated with what we see every day on the street. I don’t believe we even come in contact with the “homeless” who have lost their home and job and are still trying to just survive. This breed on the street are in fact not your typical homeless person who might even be a bit family oriented. These on the street have totally used up their family or driven them away.
I believe he many writers have accepted that there are different levels of “homeless”.
The level they are writing about are really disgusting human beings (sad to say). I think we all understand that. Let’s give our writers and readers a little more credit.
It seems pretty clear to me that when a person pees and poops on the street that they have long since lost it.
I would have finished here but your last sentence shocked me. If you “gave” every homeless permanent housing the homeless population would probably double. You have to help them “the sensible ones” gain some self respect through a job. “Giving” has been proven to not be the answer. Yes, give to the charity not to the individual.

126 mindovermatter November 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Is this a women by the name of Darice?

127 anon November 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Amen # 125
If we go with mileenas suggestion why don’t we all become homeless and then we can all get section 8 housing! Yay! Great!! Oh wait who’s going to pay for everyone to have section 8, oh ooops….

Good gracious mileena, think through your solutions more thoroughly.

128 anonymiss November 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM

So there’s a lot of misconception about these homeless people…MANY homeless on the street WANT to be there..they leave shelters to go back to the street b/c that’s where they’s rather be so it’s a misconception that only those who want to do better go to shelters. Many only go to shelters to get help with getting on SSI then when the money comes they’re back to the street. It’s a cycle for most and actually sad. @Mama P for future reference you can’t just drop people off at the shelter, there’s a hotline that you have to call. Also, you don’t have to be clean and sober at that facility (though it should be). The mentally ill aren’t fit for all shelters but the shelter in Antioch does deal with the mentally ill. Many factors contribute to homelessness and even though it’d be nice to have more shelters and resources, if people don’t want to change whatever’s making them homeless, everyone’s hands are tied. But yet and still, I believe a clean and sober in the area would definitely help the situation, being that most who are coming out of program and thus are sober, can be helped more readily than those who are going from program to a “WET” shelter where people go in and out all day high or drunk or whatever they please which increases the likelihood that the person who just got clean and sober relapses and starts the cycle again….

129 Cruella November 20, 2012 at 5:59 AM

I also do not recall the homeless problem prior to the mental hospitals being emptied. The homeless and criminal elements seem to be getting particularly bad. I do think we pay for the homeless one way or the other. If they are on the street, we have to deal with garbage, being approached, crimes and policing, health care, jails, etc. I’d personally prefer more taxes (I pay plenty – 35 years and counting) to have the people with mental health issues taken care of and off the streets.

130 DoReMi November 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM

I guess we, as a civilization have to decide whether to force the help these unfortunates need, or let them continue to choose.

It’s a tough one because of the laws inacted that a person cannot be ‘incarcerated’ if they have not broken the law. When in fact, we just don’t have the facilities to deal with this group of filthy, unruley and often insane – mostly from substance abuse.

So. What can be done? Is it time yet to make the decision?

131 Parsnip November 20, 2012 at 8:22 AM

#92 — Because if they accumulate a bunch of unpaid tickets eventually they get arrested. And, if they get arrested for stealing, drug-dealing, etc., it makes their record even worse. If nothing else, maybe it will keep them moving down the road.

132 vh November 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Carol if you write up a petition ill sign it. Im tired of feeling uncomfortable in my own neighborhood. I have a five month old and now i just want to get out of concord. If the city cares they would do something before all of us law abiding citizens move somewhere else clean and safe.

133 Starfish November 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

The only thing that has not been done is to force these people to get help. There are plenty of public programs, outreach programs, shelters, etc. that exist and are already paid for out of our taxes. What’s next–a tax to pay for vacant lots so they can be rounded up and chain-linked in?

134 skippy November 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

This transcends homelessness. This has to do with allowing the mentally ill to be out on the street rather than institutionalized, and we have Reagan to thank for that not Obama- which the idiot poster Grady the Badger would know if he bothered to open a history book once in a while. It also has to do with the police allowing public intoxication. As taxpayers we have the right to demand better. Keep calling and if the CPD doesn’t respond, start calling your politicians, and if they don’t respond, vote them out.

135 DoReMi November 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

“The ACLU argued for the end of forced institutionalization of harmless insane people, not Ronald Reagan.”

“Ronald Reagan did sign the Lanterman–Petris–Short Act in California as governor, which took effect in 1972, effectively doing what the O’Connor v. Donaldson ruling did nationwide. The bill had bipartisan support and was widely lauded by the left as a civil rights masterpiece. The ACLU argued for the end of forced institutionalization of harmless insane people, not Ronald Reagan.”

136 Zigfreid November 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I like the way you think Starfish. Plenty of room on the CNWS land to fence them in. We could build some gun towers and patrol the perimeter with guards and dogs. Give orders to shoot to kill anyone trying to escape. We can stop this now, by crushing the foul miscreants with an IRON FIST! We can call it “Camp Starfish” Really! I like this idea. Imagine yourself in a tight gray uniform with black jack boots, a smart little cap & a riding crop that you can slap about to give emphasis to your commands! McDonald’s parking lot will be bum free once more.

137 Libby Rahl November 20, 2012 at 9:34 AM

DoReMi, please…….. don’t try to confuse the issue with facts! It sounds better when we can just blame a Republican & keep repeating it until the mindless accept it as truth.

138 KJ November 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

DoReMi @135

Activists on the left also called for community-based services so that people turned out of mental institutions would be monitored and assisted, and not just left to roam the streets homeless. Money for those programs never materialized, as noted in your same link:

“There is another cause which can be partly put at Ronald Reagan’s feet though. By the end of Reagan’s term in office, federal funding for state and local assistance programs had been cut by 60%.

Reagan eliminated general revenue sharing to cities, slashed funding for public service jobs and job training, almost dismantled federally funded legal services for the poor, cut the anti-poverty Community Development Block Grant program and reduced funds for public transit. The only “urban” program that survived the cuts was federal aid for highways – which primarily benefited suburbs, not cities.

These cutbacks had a disastrous effect on cities with high levels of poverty and limited property tax bases, many of which depended on federal aid. In 1980 federal dollars accounted for 22 percent of big city budgets. By the end of Reagan’s second term, federal aid was only 6 percent.”

139 Starfish November 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

@Zigfreid #136
ok right–I would say only if I could have a whip with a flayed end and chinese finger traps; but that would seem inhumane.

140 To mileena November 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

People here are talking about the bums that DO bother people and shit all over the place. Its unacceptable.

141 Randome Task November 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM

uhhhh really …..with the oh they cant make rent …hey they all hang out together pool the money and share the rent …can not believe i had to bring that to light …look the 20 bums that are ravageing the streets right now are the subject the people who come on hard times and go to the shelters and seek assistance and better themselves is not what we are discussing …..it is the ones who refuse to better themselves for what ever reason and the people who are being citizens and going to work and paying their way have to be subjected to this day in and day out …as well as the businesses that have to deal with these fools ….Nations…7-11….McDonalds …..safeway…….and dozens more …yet you weep for the people who take away business from these people and then want them to pay their taxes and such ….really bad form there ….like i said and always do if your bleeding heart is that offended by our comments then take in these 20 or so bums and we wont have to discuss this again …..

142 kat November 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Her name is Dorice. I used to talk to her a lot. She’s a very nice lady, just on the wrong path. Her cellphone does work, she’s given me her number. I’ve never called her, but many people have offered her help she just refuses it because she doesn’t want it. She does drink, but I’ve never seen Ger high. But who knows, I haven’t talked to her in awhile because it put my job at stake. It’s tough because I feel bad for her, but she really does need help. She puts herself in danger all the time, hopefully she will wake up and take the help many many people have offered her.

143 Mama P November 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Anonymous-I work for the county and we were told they turn no one away-even if it’s just for a night-they then can start looking for services. Here is another avenue if someone has Darice’s phone number:
Doug Stewart
Central County Homeless Outreach
925-812-3511
doug@homelessoutreach.net

144 forthelove November 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I believe that she does have some sort of mental illness. She is a stalker and likes to harass people. She gets peoples personal information and uses it harm them. My advise is to stay away from this lady. She definitely has issues and before she went homeless she use to represent herself as a paralegal or something to do with law.

145 Horse'n Around November 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

@ Parsnip. Do you really think they care if they get arrested? Free food, board, and a shower. They will be out in what? A day? They don’t care if they have an arrest record. And they wont move somewhere else either. They have free shelter and television, they can drink there also, it’s not a dry shelter.They can play games and have a smoking area at the shelter by Lowes. Also I believe there might be a soup kitchen out that way also. And people support them by giving them money as they panhandle. So why should they move anywhere else? They have all there needs givin to them.

146 Parsnip November 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM

@ #145 — Of course they wouldn’t care. They’d be happy. The fact is that they would be moved off the streets or to different locations, and anyone living around them and having to deal with them would be happiER.

147 anonanonagain November 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM

@ Palermo, ” So many of them if forced to stay on their meds might finally be able to think straight. I don’t see it happening in this state though, where everybody says “who are we to decide who is crazy and who isn’t”. So we let them die in the streets.”

I agree with you to an extent, but then people could abuse their authority on who is deemed fit for society and who is not. Remember the good old days when people were dragged off the street because some “expert” in the field deemed someone incompetent or crazy and then threw them into institutions and forced lobotomies? People that have now come forth tell their dire tale…. It’s a complicated issue and can be a slippery slope.

148 anonamiss November 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Many European countries and places such as Australia and the like do not have the near amount of homeless people that we do, Especially the mentally ill. People complain about not wanting to be a socialist government but there are many good things that come from those governments. Healthcare for it’s citizens, especially the elderly, children and the poor? We seem to worship the monied and that is all. Humanitarianism is seriously lacking in this society.

149 anonamiss November 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM

“We seem to worship the monied and that is all. Humanitarianism is seriously lacking in this society.”

Some people have confused humanitarianism with Liberalism……

150 what the heck November 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I am so sick of you people bashing the CPD. Don’t you think maybe their hand’s are tied. They are always giving tickets to these people. They try to keep the homeless under some control but they have no control anymore. They are behind the virtual rock and hard spot. I don’t have a problem with the homeless until they are using the area for a toilet! Or garbage dump! I don’t want to see it or smell it! Give me a break! Quit blaming CPD!

151 Howard K Mullins III November 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Re; CPD

The bleeding hearts have handcuffed the CPD in so many ways that they cannot perform many of the duties many citizens would like them to perform.

Someone blamed Reagan for the mentally ill on the street today. My reply was that if the mentally ill on the street are offensive, why not reverse Reagan’s orders. Perhaps he was right in the first place, the state simply cannot manage a system for the mentally ill appropriately.

152 J. November 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

What toilet is Dorice supposed to use? Where?

153 Doris November 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Being homeless is a choice. There are many options out there.

154 tyler November 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

SHES MARK LANGFORDS MOTHER HE WENT TO CLAYTON VALLEY AN GRADUATED 2003 I THINK. SHE WAS A VERY NICE LADY IN HIGH SCHOOL SHE WOULD LET US ALL COME OVER TO HER HOUSE AN PARTY. I GUESS SHE GOT INTO DRUGS AN ALCOHOL GOT A DIVORSE AN ENDED UP ON THE STREETS OF CONCORD FROM HER HOME IN THE STATE STREETS

155 karebear November 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Her name is doreen she gets used by all the bums for her ssi ,,,shes a total lush and wont take help

156 anonamust November 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

@Howard K Mullins III, “As long as people keep voting and promoting the eternal entitlement give away program and criminals, dead beat and scum bags have more rights and privileged then tax paying citizens, demented old ladies will wander the street, untouchable.”

So what do you propose? A bus that comes and takes them away in the middle of the night and then assigns padded cells and shock therapy? Entitlements? So, the mentally ill fall into this category? Children who have drug addicted parents? You have called many here bleeding hearts when your heart has ceased to exist. Were not proposing you toss money from the back of a van to all who will take it, but there has to be some solution. Again I ask Mr. Mullins the 3rd, imperial warrior, what can we do??

157 another just me November 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Yes some of you are right and some are wrong…she used to be a very nice and sane person, but things have changed…she has chosen this lifestyle and no one can change this not her friends (which I used to be one) or her family, we have all tried…it’s very sad that she will not accept our help…it saddens me to see her out on the streets, I can only hope she gets better and I did tell her that just yesterday

158 Anon November 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Concordian #22: These vagrants started flocking to Concord many years ago. As long as there are food kitchens and people who will give them money they will come. I see Concord turning into another Richmond. These used to be a wonderful community to live in.

159 anonymiss November 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM

@Mama P The shelter has to stick to a capacity this year and are therefore unable to take in every overnighter as was previously the case. Doug Stewart is awesome though :)

160 Dennis November 21, 2012 at 2:05 AM

anonanonagain people wwho have had frontal logotomies (a practice that was ended in the 1930s) can not, did not, come forth to tell their stories. They can’t even talk, or form rational thoughts. I guess what you heard was urban myth. maybe you should ask the motivation of those who spread the myth.

161 Dennis November 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM

(I really need to get a lighted keyboard)

and for those blaming Reagan, waaaaay back in prehistory, cutting federal aid to 6%? how has 30 years of throwing money at ‘social services’ people accomplished anything? there are thousands of social workers in CoCo county, spending Millions of dollars a year, and the result is that California now has 30% of all the welfare, but only 10% of the population, in the USA.
The problem is growing, not diminishing. So is the number of tax-dollar-paid social workers, their administrations, and their multi-million dollar buildings. Those house civil service tax leeches, not the homeless.

Empty the buildings of social workers, and put the homeless there. spend the dollars on the homeless, instead of the social workers, who outnumber the homeless by 1000 to 1.

Better get it done soon: with AB109 dumping state prison felons back to the counties, and the counties dumping their prisoners back on the street to make room for them, and the police rudely pointing out that they can only lock someone up if they release someone already locked up to make room for them, you are going to be seeing dozens or hundreds of criminals displacing, and probably victimizing, these homeless people as a result.

and then they’ll start on you.

who to blame? those of you who, thinking you are doing “good”, are actually perpetuating a system that should be labelled “EPIC FAIL”, by voting for politicians who stay in office by spending lots of your tax dollars on administrators (of both social welfare and teachers, pay them $300K/year to administer a system where all the money goes to the administrators, rather than to the poor, the homelss, or even the students.

Next time you go past Outback, get a look at those offices, and see how many people work there, ostensibly to give your money to the needy. If you got ris of them, and used the buildings and money for the needy, we’d all be better off.

162 Horse'n Around November 21, 2012 at 6:33 AM

CPD people are not your personal marriage councelors. Stop calling them when you and your spouse can’t get along. They are not there to parent your disobedient child. That’s your job. They are not the ones to call because there is an off leash dog at the dog park. That’s what animal controll is for. Your neighbor is playing his music too loud. Go tell him nicely to turn it down. There are so many other people you should be calling. But because some are too lazy to look up a number they call the PD first, then get mad and blame the police and call them lazy when they should of called the right people to begin with.

163 Mama P November 21, 2012 at 7:32 AM

NOT all homeless choose to be so.

164 Renee November 21, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Just a little insight for some of you….

1) No, there are NOT enough resources for the homeless. Shelters are frequently full and homeless are turned away and put on a wait list.

2) There are transitional housing places, but many have certain requirements; such as you must have a kid under 18 in your custody.

3) Shelters from other cities in CC County bring their their homeless clients to other shelters and drop them off making more room for homeless in their own cities. To those thinking they are choosing to come up here, that isn’t *always* the case. Many are put in a county van and brought here and dropped off.

I have a homeless family member who has mental disabilities. I have been working with the country for over 5 years to get him the help he needs. There are frequent road blocks and walls standing in the way to help. Especially because of the disability it makes it that much harder to get them the help they need. Things seem to be looking up, and I truly hope he can get the help he needs sooner rather than later.

Anyways my point is, it isn’t always as simple as saying here’s a shelter – go in. Because they may not even have a bed available for them for 6 months. And it isn’t always as simple as telling them they need to get help and leaving it at that. If they have a mental disability they may not understand HOW to go about getting that help.

Granted, this isn’t always the case. And, yes, there are those that choose the lifestyle.

165 Renee November 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Sorry, typo. Meant *county not country.

166 anon November 21, 2012 at 8:04 AM

@ Karebear, “she had a husband and beautiful home in.clayton,they divorced shelost everything,,after being on the streets so long shes turned into a thieving drunk,,none of the local stores let her in anymore.”

She had a husband and kids (at least one with some issues of his own), she lived in the State Streets. Her husband left her and her mental illness started taking over. I knew her during that period and she was a scary person. She was paranoid, clearly being irrational but attacking, threatening and purposely maligning everyone in her path.

Her house looked like a house from hoarders with paths through it, so clearly things were not “ok” for a long while. The dry wall was down in many areas, bullet holes even in the front window (her kid was in a rough crowd). Unfortunately, the stress took it’s toll and though she may have always had a mental illness issue, it came roaring to the surface during the time of her divorce. She fought hard to keep that house, she had attorneys refuse to continue the case when she filed formal complaints about them too. Her husband had a hard time with this one… and probably by the time the house was gone, it was mortgaged to the hilt with lawyer fees likely leaving her (and him) with nothing.

When a new owner took over to begin renovations , they had to put up fencing as she kept returning. It really is sad to see what someone described as well kept and going to work in the city to what I saw then, and what we all see now. We should be thankful. It is a disease and like cancer, there’s not much warning on who will get it, or when you will no longer be able to cope.

Dorice needs help but as has been stated time and time again, it’s been offered. ITs’ up to her. Maybe the right group of people w/ experience could approach her and she’d have an “ah ha” moment, but it’s doubtful.

167 Howard K Mullins III November 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM

@ anonamust November 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM #156

Imperial Warrior? Thank you! Though I am not Japanese, I respect the compliment.

Your question of “what can we do?” is nicely set up by the previous comments. You clearly see that there is no one answer for the multitude of concerns. I have suggestions, but probably not of the answers.

Mentally ill need appropriate shelter, medical assistance, oftentimes therapy and perhaps mood altering medication. But does that answer fit all of them? Certainly not.

Drug addicts need appropriate shelter, medical attention, abuse eradication and therapy. But does each and every addict want to be saved? Many do not. What about those who are not ready to recover?

Many homeless want to be homeless. For them its the chosen life style. They can be criminals, drunks, addicts, child molesters, or simply lazy. Some may want services, some shun services, some want to be left alone.

My idea of how to deal with all of these different issues is as complex as the issues.

The government is not capable of dealing with the complexity of the problems. I think offering various non profit and charitable organizations the opportunity to specialize in specific areas of mental health or drug addiction and such, letting compassionate people work with the individuals and supplying what is needed.

There are some cases where some of the scum need to be loaded on a truck and shipped one way to the Sahara.

Those choices need to be made. Who should make the choices? We the people. Committees of citizens not burdened with politics.

Of course my proposals are “pie in the sky” and unacceptable by many. Unattainable mostly. But it is a least a direction to begin the many steps of the path that will need to change direction many times.

Government is not the answer, it’s ‘we the people’, who are ultimately the best answer. Working for our fellow man, being of service to others, treating others as we would like to be treated and being responsible and accountable.

168 kudleme November 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Funny thing…She wasn’t there last night. Thanks Claycord!

169 @Anon #166 November 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Don’t think she won’t ever have that ah hah moment. It very well could happen. It took my mom 10 years to have that ah hah moment. Don’t give up.

170 anonanonagain November 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM

@ Dennis, I was not implying that those people who had frontal lobotomies told their tales, it was the people that were dragged off the streets and institutionalized that were able to recount their misery…. I’m not that daft…..