The “Good News” Letter from the MDUSD

November 18, 2012 · 25 comments

Click on the image above to read the MDUSD’s “Good News” Letter!

1 Howard K Mullins III November 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM

We take pride in embracing an energy and commitment to learning that’s truly unique. From the magic of the San Francisco Bay Area, to our partnerships with students and parents, to our passionate delivery of curriculum — “MDUSD provides an educational experience unlike any other.”

An educational experience unlike any other?

You can sure say that again….

2 Elwood November 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM

The only good news I would like to hear from MDUSD is that they have gone out of business.

3 MDUSD Board Watcher November 18, 2012 at 6:55 PM

The Good News….

The dynamic Ebermarsh Duo can no longer drive this district into the ground.

4 whynot November 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Why did I just KNOW that the first comment would be negative/snarky? Yeah, the district has problems just like everyone else, but there are teachers that bust their buns trying to educate the next generation. Give ‘em a break please!!

5 Phillip from Clayton November 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

@whynot#4…

Yes, there are teachers that bust their butts….. The overshadowing problems are the inept administration, the rubberstamping political board and the other teachers that give the good ones a bad name.

I agree w/ HKM

6 I made my millions in the teaching racket... November 19, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Elwood, Howard, and Phillip from Clayton have not been in or near a school for many years.
I retired from the MDUSD in 2010. In fifteen years of service all went well.
Education is a magnificent function. It is the highest form of service with the highest personal reward. It is exhausting work. It pays poorly compared to most jobs at BART.
There are certain people who prove that a good education is essential. There are others who prove public or private education does not work

7 Frustrated teacher November 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I agree with “whynot”. I am a teacher in this district and despite all the negativity people seem to bring to the blogs, there are many really good things going on in this district. The people who post on the blogs focus on the board members/superientendent/district office.

Fortunately the majority of the teachers put their energy into the children they teach.

8 Parent! November 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Why doesn’t Sequoia get recognized?

9 NO November 19, 2012 at 8:54 AM

The problem is the the court rulings to spend a large amount of the budget on a small percentage of the student pop. Look at money spent per student and make sure it is equal among all.

10 Ernie November 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Elwood needs to move on to another country, like Afghanistan, and then he’ll be happy.

As for Parent wondering why Sequoia wasn’t mentioned–I guess—is the fact that a number of schools weren’t mentioned, because there’s only so much room in this informative paper. Maybe next time.

11 ? November 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Still waiting to see a teacher working their butt off.
Never seen a teacher sweat.

If Teachers had a regular job, they`d see what working hard really means.

12 anon November 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

#11, I wouldn’t begrudge most teachers the hard work of managing a classroom full of kids. It’s not they that are the problem. The problem is that state run “education” is not really about education, but about conformity to a government-defined norm and obedience. The state no longer needs religion to control the populace; it has the minds of young people for 12 or more years to shape in the mold it desires, and, after 100-150 years (depending on the state), we can see the evidence of what it has wrought.

13 Arthur November 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

@ anon #12,
I agree with almost 100% of what you wrote. But 100-150 years? No, it’s only been ~40 years since the “progressives” turned public schools into cauldrons of indoctrination. And congrats to them, because they have succeeded, from K thru college. Exhibit A: California

14 Really? November 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM

to Parent @8, call and ask your principal. Schools are taking turns being featured. Your principal can tell you when he/she will be writing the article to highlight your school.

15 J November 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM

#11. My wife is a teacher, and I’d bet $ that she spends a lot more time working at her job than you do at yours. She’s at school by 7:30 AM, leaves around 4:30-5 PM and then spends a few hours at night doing more work.

Yes there are some lazy, whiny teachers out there. Yes, there are those who are coasting to retirement, but there are many that work their assess off. Those of you constantly dissing teachers need to get yourself “educated” on what they really do.

16 ? November 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

My Dad was a teacher.
And i`ve worked along side teachers for over 12 years now.
Believe me, i know exactly how much teachers work.

Biggest complainers on this earth (are Teachers)

Preaching to the choir “J”

17 Elwood November 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

@I made my millions in the teaching racket… #6

Unfortunately, I am much nearer a school than I wish to be.

18 Elwood November 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM

@ Ernie #10

No need for me to move to Afghanistan, Ernie. MDUSD becomes more like Afghanistan every day, thanks to incompetent administration, board and teachers just putting in their time until retirement.

19 Kirkwood November 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

@”J” – #11
“I guess teachers feel they are working hard, when they are sitting on their butts talking.”

So “J”, does that mean YOUR job involves a pick and a shovel?

20 EBguy November 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

@ J,
“My wife is a teacher, and I’d bet $ that she spends a lot more time working at her job than you do at yours.”

What you really mean is:
“My wife is a teacher, and I’d bet $ that she spends a lot more time at her job than you do at yours.”

Spending lots of time at work is not always indicative of people who are working hard or are good at their jobs.

Three possible explanations.
1. Your wife is horribly inefficient with her time.
2. She made a horrible career choice to “work” so many hours for so little pay.
3. Both of the above.

21 rocky November 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

To #8 & #10
In order to get in the news letter the individual schools have to send in information. If your school wasn’t mentioned they did not turn any info in…..

22 J November 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

@EBguy. You overlooked explanation #4. You’re a dick.

23 Kirkwood November 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Sorry “J” my post was meant for “?”. The messages might have been renumbered.

24 EBguy November 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM

@J,
You must not actually have anything to prove me wrong since you chose to call me a profane name instead of countering my argument. Nice intelligent debate skills.

25 J November 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM

@EBguy,

No, what makes you a dick is your assumption that my wife (and by association, teachers in general) are inefficient and make poor choices. That’s a huge assumption on your part unless you have some evidence to back it up. My comments come from first hand knowledge. Do yours?

Teachers have a demanding, difficult, and for the most part, thankless job, Most are doing their best working in an environment that often forces them to move kids on simply because their parents or the system will not allow them to be held back. The districts are financially strapped and often mismanaged, and thanks to the Bush administration and it’s infamous No Child Left Behind BS, teachers are rated based on STAR test scores rather than whether or not kids are actually learning.

So how about making an intelligent argument as to why you’re not a dick?