Contra Costa County Library Wins National Medal for Museum and Library Service

November 16, 2012 16:00 pm · 12 comments

The Institute of Museum and Library Services today announced the recipients of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service. The National Medal is the nation’s highest honor conferred on museums and libraries for service to the community and celebrates institutions that make a difference for individuals, families, and communities.

This year’s honorees exemplify the nation’s great diversity of libraries and museums and include a school library, county library systems, individual libraries, children’s museums, an art museum, science centers, a park conservancy, and more, hailing from 10 different states. The 2012 winners of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service are:

“Museums and libraries serve as community anchors and this year’s winners – from urban North Miami to Naturita, Colorado, home to just 542 people – showcase the positive difference these institutions make for everyone. Innovative programs are teaching residents how to read late in life, inspiring children to dream, using technology to offer e-books on the go, and bridging cultural differences,” said Susan Hildreth, director, Institute of Museum and Library Services. “This year’s National Medal for Museum and Library Service recipients demonstrate the many ways libraries and museums build strong communities and provide opportunities for individual success.”

Medal winners are selected from nationwide nominations of institutions that demonstrate innovative approaches to public service, exceeding the expected levels of community outreach.

The National Medal will be presented during a celebration in Washington, D.C. on November 14.

{ 12 comments }

1 Howard K Mullins III November 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM

CoCo library has a museum?

I know the library is good, just had no idea how good.

2 concordian November 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Proud husband of a CCC Librarian!

3 Babs November 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM

This is a huge honor, I read the announcement at our last city council mtg. as Concord’s CCC Library Commissioner. Our Discover and Go Program is a great way to get free tixs to various places. Please continue to support your Friends of Library events, like our book sales, that money pays for extras at library, new programs, extra books, updating furniture, etc.

4 Clayton Squirrel November 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I love our Clayton Community Library!

My kids went there when they were small for story time, got lots of fun prizes through the summer reading program, checked out fun books and movies, worked on and marched with the library’s Fourth of July parade float several times, bridged from Brownies to Girl Scouts on the bridge across the creek. My daughter loved their recent henna artist who created a beautiful intricate work of art on her hand and gave her extra henna to create designs of her own at home. Now my daughter volunteers through the library’s tutoring program to help younger students. I LOVE the book sales and have fun at the annual Creekside Art Festival. Just downloaded a book for book club from the library’s website too.

The city council even meets there.

I would call the Clayton Community Library the heart of our community.

5 Clayton Squirrel November 16, 2012 at 5:47 PM

And I forgot to mention their free SAT Essay workshop for high school students!

6 anon November 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Concord could get a new library?
I cannot imagine what funding would be required for that.

Congratulations on the honor. It is well-deserved!

7 Anon November 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

The Pleasant Hill Branch of the Contra Costa Library System has a long history of superior service and superlative programs. It is wonderful to read that it is receiving recognition for its tradition of excellence. Our family has enjoyed the central library for over three generations. Thank you! :)

8 Russ November 17, 2012 at 6:30 AM

This story absolutely rocks! Anybody who has kids should be grateful for the county library system. With all of the terrible things happening to our economy, the CoCo Library systems continues to be there when we need it. They have survived cutbacks etc. and still continue to thrive. Great job, guys!

9 Library lover November 17, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Congratulations Contra Costa Library! A well deserved recognition! We love the library in our family! I grew up going to the library in the Contra Costa library system and now I take my daughter there regularly. We both have a love of reading. Rarely do we ever leave without a huge bag of books and maybe a few movies. We’ve even used the discover and go program a few times and love it! The library is truly a treasure. With the advent of “e” everything, it’s easy to overlook what a great resource the library is. Congrats again!

10 Calendar Girl November 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I used to walk there with my kids and check out books. We used to rush down there after school whenever their teachers announced a new assignment, like a Mission report or a Native American report. This was before computers became the main source to access information. The old elevator smells the same now as it did back when I rode it with my son in his stroller. (He’s 23 now). It’s like an old friend and I’m so fortunate to live nearby. Congratulations for a well-deserved award.

11 Killjoy November 18, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Congratulations to all who had any part in accomplishing this. :)

12 Happy One November 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I love the Clayton Library, too, Clayton Squirrel!

Our library system is also part of a larger system called Link Plus. If our county library system doesn’t have the book you are looking for, you can borrow it from one of the other public or university libraries in California and Nevada that are also part of the Link Plus system. It will be sent to your local library branch, no charge! The Link Plus catalog is available on our library website.