International “Survivors of Suicide” Day in Claycord – Event Planned for Nov.17th

November 15, 2012 14:00 pm · 10 comments

Each day in the U.S. approximately 100 people take their own lives, leaving behind loved ones to struggle with the loss, grief and all of those questions that begin with “Why . . .?”

Too often survivors of suicide loss believe the death of their loved one is somehow shameful or that they or their family are to blame. But research shows that more than 90 percent of people who die by suicide have an underlying, although not always diagnosed, psychiatric illness at the time of their death.

The holiday season can be particularly difficult for survivors. To help, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s International Survivors of Suicide Day will be held on Saturday, November 17 in over 300 cities around the world, including here in Concord.

INTERNATIONAL “SURVIVORS OF SUICIDE” DAY:

1 Anon November 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Uhhhhh . . . Shouldn’t this be survivors of ATTEMPTED SUICIDE?

2 EvilOreo November 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Anon, did you read the post?

3 Pegasus November 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

@ Jo,
I was at the service and remember it well. I hope that you, Joe and family are doing well. May Christ’s peace be with you.

4 B November 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM

@Anon #1

You should think about attending the International “Reading Comprehension” day, it may help

5 teri November 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM

If I’m not mistaken, men are 7 times more likely to commit suicide after a break-up than women. Until we pass equal parenting bills and restore the presumption of innocence in domestic violence cases, (which currently does not exist), this will continue. One in six of us know someone who has been falsely accused of domestic violence, and the majority are men. http://www.saveservices.org/falsely-accused This will not stop all suicides, but it will help. I know of men who committed suicide for this exact reason. And I’ve been able to prevent two others from doing it for this same reason.

6 LinzerTorte November 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM

@Anon…you’re an idiot.

@Teri, this is not the right forum for you to go off on a political tangent. Respect those people who have survived the suicide of loved ones, and please take your argument elsewhere. I lost my amazing 19-year-old younger brother to suicide 2 years ago, and it had nothing to do with DV. The only thing that we should be plugging here is awareness of mental illness and suicide. You have valid argument, but you’re in the wrong place.

The AFSP is a wonderful organization and I am proud to say my mother and sister completed their 18-mile Out of the Darkness overnight walk last year. Please come and support them. Thank you, from all of us survivors! :)

7 ChampagneKitty November 16, 2012 at 5:06 AM

I clicked on the link to register for the event, but it says it’s sold out.

8 ChampagneKitty November 16, 2012 at 5:18 AM

If you click on this link, you’ll see a list of a whole bunch of grief support groups in Contra Costa County, including one for survivors of suicide.

9 ChampagneKitty November 16, 2012 at 5:19 AM

What a dummy, I pressed “submit” before including the link…

10 @Anon #1 November 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM