Construction Underway in Newhall Park – New Playground Coming Soon!

November 14, 2012 16:00 pm · 32 comments

The new playground is now under construction at Newhall Park in Concord.

Thanks to Gene for the picture!

As we first reported back in July, this $245,000 project to build a playground consists of a $107,000 contract to a Novato company to purchase and install the playground equipment (pictured above) at Newhall, and the rest of the $138,000 of the project’s budget will go towards construction of the playground area infrastructure and site improvements, according to the City of Concord.

The project is expected to be completed by the end of November, and is being funded by Measure WW & Parkland Funds.

Here’s a picture of what the new playground is expected to look like:

You like?

1 anon November 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM

There are so many off leash dogs there and now to add little kids. This is going to be a problem unless they enforce the no leash law.

2 Blah Blah blah November 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM

oh boy a new place for all the teens to hide during “PE”

3 Anon November 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I don’t see a place, yet, to dump my poopy diapers.

4 JC November 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM

@ anon
Quit griping already. If you don’t like dogs then keep ur child on a leash.

5 J. November 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Looks like a blast.

6 Sick of Dog Owners November 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM

The best off leash dog park—— the dog owner’s back yard.

Take your dogs for a walk with leash in your neighborhood and let them loose in your backyard.

Also, dogs hate home depot…..

7 ChampagneKitty November 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Why do people have to be so negative? I think this playground is going to be great!

8 max November 14, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Doesn’t look all that exciting for kids.

9 Concord Mike November 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Looks nice!!! Can’t wait to take the grand kids there.

Concord living up to its “families come first” motto.

10 Woody November 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Looks like all the other playgrounds in the area. boring.

11 @JC November 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I like dogs and have two, but keep mine on a lead. There was a dog attack there recently. Big dog off lead attacked a little dog on lead. Maybe that was your dog that attacked. Little kids move too strangely for dogs. Anyway city needs to get control of the jerks who think their dog is “nice” and it’s okay.

12 Latina November 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I usually visit this park for bike riding with my kid and I never had a problem with dogs

13 Brandon L. November 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Man everyone apparently has negative things to say, I think some of these people wouldn’t be happy with anything… I think it’s a wonderful idea

14 GoGo Gomez November 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Sweet!

15 Amy November 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I have read several reports on this website of “smash and go’ auto break ins, homeless camps, teenagers doing drugs and even a male sex offender lurking in this park. Why on earth would the City waste our taxes on a playground in this horrible park to attract children? Ths is really sick.

16 NRA #1 fan and member November 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Newhall Park? Isn’t that where I was patroling all summer and made it real safe now for you people?

17 @Sick of Dog Owners #6 November 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Many dog owners either have no yard or a yard so small the dog can’t stretch its legs. Also a dog park is more than physical exercise; dogs are social animals. We take ours to Newhall Park on a regular basis and she has several regular dog friends she dearly loves to romp with.

I think it says more about you that you’re frequenting eating establishments with “dog snot” (and I question that) on the tables or clothing places with fleas. I think you’re full of it – I’ve lived in this area since the late 1950’s and have never, ever seen/experienced either. Most dog owners I know are very conscious about their animals being clean, healthy and well-behaved.

18 @ Amy #15 November 15, 2012 at 4:57 AM

Did you ever stop to consider that by fixing up the park, we might attract more good people, which would make it a much less desirable hangout for the bad people?

It’s thinking like yours that creates ghettos.

19 Parsnip November 15, 2012 at 6:20 AM

#16 — No, I don’t think so … It’s one of numerous areas where you stated you would “patrol” after the POSTING of a crime committed. Remember? In other words, you’ve accomplished nothing.

Back to the keyboard.

20 Concord Mike November 15, 2012 at 6:22 AM

@Amy,

The more a park is used, the safer it becomes. Newhall park is a safe place now… Will be even safer with more young families present.

Rather than relying on anecdotal info on blogs, why don’t you take in some fresh air and take a stroll through the park? You will walk away wih a different viewpoint.

21 Mac November 15, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Just hope the local blow it`s don`t wreck it, before the little ones get to play on it

22 BART Rider November 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Its great. This is right in my neighborhood. However people are right about the dogs. It is legal to have the off leash in the fenced off dog park NOT in the park itself. Unleashed dogs have come after my husband and I when we were running here and it is obnoxious. They really need to start enforcing the rules. The playground is a great idea. Lots of children spend time in the park as it us because of the soccer fields.

23 Mr John November 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM

According to the paperwork on file with the city, the structures should be completed around ( or before) Christmas.

There are dogs and dog owners that are prepared to be in society, and those that are not. The ones that are not are dangerous if they ignore their responsibilities, but those are pretty rare. Most owners that bring their dog to that park are pretty good with their pets.

24 i agree November 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Brandon L —
I completely agree with you! No matter what’s posted, the majority of the comments will be negative. Most people I know and work with don’t read Claycord anymore because of the negative tone of the posters. I usually only read the article, not the comments. Too depressing!

25 Connie Dobbs November 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM

“Sick of getting a table at an eatery/coffee shop with dog snot on it, and going to a clothing store with fleas on the clothes.”

Is your eatery a soup kitchen? Do you shop at the green metal box next to the oil change place?

26 aka November 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM

To an adult a playground may look boring but to a child it is a place of fun and adventure. I take my kids to Newhall park often to feed the ducks and to visit the dog park. I do not have a dog of my own but my daughter loves to go watch the dogs run and play. My children are excited to have a playground here finally. And so am I.

I am looking forward to countless hours of enjoyment I will get from watching my children having FUN.

For all who have negative comment about the playground and/or the park then stay away because you are not wanted there.

27 Mel November 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM

As an apartment renter, I am grateful to have the option to take my toddler to playgrounds rather than keep her cooped up inside our small patio. I can’t wait to take her to this one!

28 anon November 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM

$245,000.00 for less than a eighth of an acre of toys? Whose brother got that cherry little contract??? Cuz that is how it is done.

29 Mimi (original) November 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Well, that’s pretty nice! What sort of “Canadian Goose” deterrent are they going to use? Keep those geese away!!!

30 Mike Hermantrout November 15, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Anon 28,

You have no idea how city contracts and bids go.

Lowest price wins and they have to pay prevailing wages and have docents to back it up.

It’s amazing how little you know yet assume you know all

31 Nice project November 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I agree with # 18 & # 27. Only wish the playground was there when our children would’ve enjoyed it. We have some wonderful new neighbors with young children and I know they will use it frequently. It’s projects like this that attract families and keep the community nice.

32 Randome Task November 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

well of course one wheel greases the other as well as ..we went over this when it was first brought up …..with all of the police funds going to traffic enforcement …who will police the bums who will be spreading their germs all over this stuff and sit in the bishes and laugh at all the new little toys they get to watch …….it is like locking cats in a dog kennel ……no thank you and when did anyone get to vote on this 245 thousand going to a out of town contractor …..way to boost the economy in concord….alll wrong just as the tax hikes they flash a shiny object and everyone forgets about how it got there ….cheap tactic but works on so many….and by the way this will be one more thing they ask to increase the taxes for ….this place will need maintainance and be fixed when vandalized …..but look a very good place for you to bury your head in the saringe laden sand……..