STILL MISSING: Bay Point Man Hasn’t Been Seen Since October 16th

November 12, 2012 9:28 am · 29 comments

The Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff is still searching for John McConeghy, a missing 77-year-old man from Bay Point, who hasn’t been seen since October 16th.

A family member went to check on McConeghy at his apartment on Pacifica Avenue on October 16th and noticed he was not home. McConeghy is said to have dementia; he has previously wandered away from home but is usually found shortly after.

Deputy Sheriffs searched the area but were not able to locate McConeghy. Area hospitals and law enforcement agencies were notified. He was entered into the state missing persons database.

Approximately 3,500 homes in the area were notified about this missing person case by the telephone emergency notification system.

Description – white male, 5’9”, 160 pounds, gray hair, blue eyes. He was last wearing a white hat, brown colored jacket, yellow shirt and blue slacks. McConeghy walks with a limp.

Anyone with any information on the whereabouts of McConeghy is asked to immediately call the Office of the Sheriff at 925-646-2441.

1 Shiloh October 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I saw a similar looking man, but with a tan hat, sitting on a retaining wall in front of a house on Wilson Ln at Eve Dr yesterday. He had a cane.

2 Anon October 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I pray for his safe return!

3 Pucky October 18, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Thank You for reposting this Mayor. There is still no word on finding John. He has to be somewhere……………

4 jtkatec October 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Shiloh, you might call that information in to the Sheriff’s offIce. Might have been him.

5 Shiloh October 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Maybe I’ll stop by that house first and see if they knew the man. Think I will.

6 Shiloh October 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

That was yesterday morning

7 Dee October 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Why is this poor man living alone in an apartment if he has dementia and has wandered off before? Hopefully there is someone else he can live with. I hope they find him soon as this is a very scary situation. I deal with a parent with dementia and they could never live alone now..thank God the other one is still able to be there although I am over there at least 4 times a week and we all check on them on a regular basis

8 I wear a pillowcase October 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Check the graveyards first

9 AnonoGod October 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

@Dee Why?

Where else could he go? (that doesn’t require more money?) Sad but there are lots of people out there without the money themselves or the family to support them. So where should they go.. Maybe someone should step-up.. DEE sounds like that person..

10 BP October 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I hope you have contacted the Sheriff. There was a man hit by a train Sunday by MacAvoys. I do hope and pray it was not him.

11 Pucky October 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Dee
His son Larry went to the hospital emergency and they kept him for 2 days; That’s why the delay;

12 Dee October 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM

@AnonGod you are just an ass, If you really READ my post you will see that I DO deal with this same situation,,,DO YOU??? Probably not. Dementia is an illness as you well know… or should The people that do check on him should get a hold of an agency that can help with the situation. Sadly from the way you sound it would be just fine if he forgot to turn off the stove and burned the place down or as in this case now he is missing and I hope to hell they find him ,,,alive and breathing
@Pucky hope his son is better and they get this whole thing straightened out and I am also hoping that he is not the MacAvoy victim

13 Pucky October 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM

The man hit by the train was a younger man that committed suicide; I just called Larry and there is no new news/sightings; Where can John be?

14 Not so Happy October 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I saw a man in the Clayton Safeway on Wednesday that looks very similar to this man. I have given the information to the police. The man was with a woman who was caring for him. Are there any connections to that area?

15 Pucky October 20, 2012 at 9:54 AM

It is now Saturday; 7 days and we still have not found John. Where can he be? Any ideas folks?

16 Pucky October 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM

On Sunday 10/21 @ 9:00 AM Volunteers will meet in the parking lot of
Joe’s Hot Dogs, 602 Port Chicago Highway, Bay Point, CA 94565; We will work in teams of 2 and 3 for safety reasons; Bring your cell phone and keen eyesight and hearing. Bring a friend or two as we are going to comb the area and search for any sign of John. I’ll have a printed flyer and map for the volunteers. Please help us find John, 7 Days is a long time to be missing.

17 Pucky October 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM

We met at 9 and searched for 4 hours; Thank’s go out to those who helped search; I will call Search & Rescue again and see what the next steps to finding him are; Again, Thank you Clampers from Chapter 13, Joaquin Murrieta E Clampus Vitus! Thank you very much!

18 Leona October 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Pucky
Im sorry jeremy and I couldnt make it today. I do look for him every where i drive.

19 Pucky November 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Again, Thank You for reposting this Mayor. There is still no word on finding John. He has to be somewhere…He has to be………….

20 Pucky November 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM

We need a Miracle to locate and bring John home….I do believe in them….I do……

21 anonomom November 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Pucky-
Have you called the local news stations, ktvu, channel 4 ect. Get the word out to as many as possible, maybe he got onto bart and is in another city.Sending my best wishes for John’s safe return

22 TAMMY SMITH November 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM

WELL WE STILL HAVENT FOUND JOHN McCONEGHY SO MY NEIGHBORS AND I ARE HAVING A CANDLE LIGHT VIDUAL ON NOV.13 2012 AT 7P.M.IN THE SHORE ACHORS SHOPING CENTER IN BAYPOINT CA.ACROSS FROM MOBILE HOME PARK WHERE JOHN AND I LIVE .SO WE WOULD FOR ALL ABLE PEOPLE TO PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE NEWS THIS TO HELP USA ALL TO REMEMBER THAT HE IS STILL OUY THERE SOMEWHERE AND WE ALL NEED TO KEEP ON LOOKING AND SEARCHING BECAUSE HE IS STILL OUT THERE AND WE HAVE TO FIND HIM PLEASE HELP US

23 uh huh November 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM

This is so sad.I pray he is safe right now and that someone has seen him and for his safe return!!

24 Pucky November 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM

To anonomom; I have spent hours contacting many news outlets again; The problem is the fact that “It is not news anymore, When he is found, it will be a notable news item” The Mayor responded to my last request by re-posting the article (Thanks Mayor!) The others have not. To Tammy: Why is it that this morning I first acquire knowledge of the CANDLE LIGHT Vigil? The media should have been notified and word out to all; That would have been on the TV and seen by the whole Bay Area and beyond, Now that opportunity is lost now………………..so sad……….

25 Pucky November 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I just called Larry, Johns Son, and there is nothing new to report. Damn!

26 Starfish November 17, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Sorry for your loss, Pucky :-(

27 Concerned November 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I think they have found this man’s body on the army base in Concord.

28 Sue November 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM

From the Concord Transscript 11/20/12:
CONCORD — The body of a man found at Military Ocean Terminal Concord on Thursday has been identified as missing Bay Point senior John McConeghy, the Contra Costa Sheriff’s department said Tuesday.

The coroner identified McConeghy, 77, by using his fingerprints, said Contra Costa Sheriff’s spokesman Jimmy Lee. The man, who had dementia, was reported missing Oct. 15, two days after a family member went to check on him at his Pacifica Avenue apartment in Bay Point and discovered he was not home.

McConeghy had previously wandered away from home in the past but had been found shortly after each time, according to a news release. The family spent two days searching for him before reporting him missing to authorities.

Forty members of the Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue team searched much of Bay Point for McConeghy to no success, Lee said. Approximately 3,500 homes in the area were notified of his disappearance by the telephone emergency notification system.

McConeghy’s cause of death is pending toxicology results, Lee said.

29 Pucky November 21, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Thank you for posting that. I was called Tuesday afternoon about the confirmation of the identity of the man found last Thursday. Thanks goes to all who searched for and prayed for John. Thank you very much.