Concord Honors Veterans During Ceremony on Sunday Morning

November 11, 2012 20:00 pm · 6 comments

Concord honored Veterans with a ceremony on Memorial Hill in Newhall Park on Sunday morning.

Newly elected Concord Councilman Edi Birsan attended the touching ceremony, and gave us this report.

As per tradition at 11AM at the 11th of the eleventh month, a Veteran’s Day ceremony was held in Concord. This year it was in Newhall Park at the site of the Vietnam Memorial.

The Memorial sits on the top of Memorial Hill in the Park and holds the plaque with the names of the Veterans that died in the Vietnam War. Around the hilltop is a ring of Oak Trees, one for each of the fallen.

The Mount Diablo Jr. ROTC Color Guard made the presentation of Colors and Concord Mayor Ron Leone read a proclamation from the City, and Damian Alacorn read a letter from Congressman Miller. Other local officials in attendance was the newly re-elected Counclmember Dan Helix, myself and the former three time Mayor of Clayton, Pete Laurence.

The ceremony was touching and the reading of the names and the blowing of Taps by the Boy Scouts was a fitting end.

Thanks to Edi Birsan for the report, and the pictures!

1 Anon November 12, 2012 at 6:50 AM

First time I have read all the names it brings back some hard memories. Thank you for the pictures.

2 EdiBirsan November 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Somewhat sorry for the quality of the pictures, Ansel Adams I am not. Dirk Wentling and GoGo Gomez have made suggestions and I thank them.

3 I'm pleased to see..... November 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM

that the monument is still intact, and hasn’t been stolen by Wayne Curletto, or any of the other Peuking Maggots who infect out City.

4 The watcher November 12, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Nice plaque.

5 Dennis November 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

was this plaque finally changed? I recall when Clayton added a memorial, we were asked to identify those who were actually residents of what is now Clayton (to add to the Clayton memorial).
During the Vietnam Era, Clayton did not have its own post office, so everyone in the service had official home addresses saying “Concord 94521″.
I haven’t seen this plaque since then, so I don’t know if it includes those on the Clayton roster as well.

6 EdiBirsan November 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM

The announcement was that the names are for people in the County not just Concord.

There was no city location given for the fallen.