Suspicious Door Knockers in Claycord

November 8, 2012 15:00 pm · 67 comments

Anybody else have one of these guys show up at your door?

I am writing to ask if any other Claycordians as of late have had suspicious knockers at their doors.

Today we had someone ring our door bell twice in a row, immediately followed by several very loud knocks. When my dad had answered the door, the guy was already walking away, but then turned around and asked if we were selling one of the cars we had parked out front (there wasn’t a for sale sign on it).

The guy who knocked was then picked up by another person in a car that circled the court while he was at our house.

A few days ago, we also had another rude person ring the doorbell and knock several times who turned away before we even opened the door, though the story this time was something about selling something.

Both incidents could have been legit but we just got a strange vibe from it, and don’t know why they would ring the doorbell and knock anxiously only to turn around and start walking away before anyone could even answer the door.

Has anyone else written in with similar situations? We live in Limeridge near Cowell and Ygnacio Valley Road.

Anybody?

Next time, try to get a license plate or a picture of the car and keep it on file just in case your house is burglarized.

1 Anonymous November 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

When I was voting on Tuesday, there were 3 people going door-to-door, asking for money, I think. There was a fourth person, who was not with them, also hanging around. Then, one of the 3 people came into the garage and said that a neighbor’s door had been kicked in. Someone called the police; I left before finding out what had happened.

It is always good to let the slimeballs know you are home.

2 If you hadn't opened the door..... November 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

he would have snooped around a little more, gone into your backyard, broke in, and stole your stuff.

3 limeridger November 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

No, but I live in Limeridge as well and would be interested in knowing more specifically where this occurred. Our watch group should be notified as well… You can advise privately to limeridger@gmail.com

4 Concord Resident November 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM

No, next time get a license plate or description of the car and call the police. Trust me they’ll come in to the area and check for the vehicle. They Always love to stop suspicious cars and get a reason to search it for any possible stolen property.

5 Sacto Rob November 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

The title would read better as “Suspicious Door Knocking.” Door knockers are those little fixtures hung to knock on the door.
There are other kinds of knockers too, but this is a family website. If you’re still curous, go rent Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstien.

6 dinkydau November 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM

A few months ago about 930pm, someone was knocking at my door and ringing the doorbell alot. I was in bed and didnt answer the door. I then heard someone knocking on my kitchen window. I live in a condo and the window is a few steps from the street sidewalk. I got up and looked through the peephole. Nobody.
Dont know if it was a prank or what. I got afraid. I live alone.
Now if they do break in I have a Walther P38,9mm. that will welcome them

7 Howard K Mullins III November 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Knock on my door late at night once and its ignored.

Knock twice and they’ll be greeted by looking down the barrel of my 12 gauge.

Just give me a reason…

Friends and neighbors know to call first.

8 Anon November 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM

What was the description of the man? What you described is used by Roma car traders. Don’t sell to them. They just wash the car and sell it for a higher price elsewhere leaving the title in your name until it is sold so they escape DMV wholesale license restrictions and the tax man. Beware of them in parking lots too.

9 suspious actions November 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Report it to the police department and request extra patrol for the area. Because they are most likely trying to burglarized your home. Be cautious and know what vehicles are in your area daily and who ever maybe walking around. I know because I did bad things like that when I was 16, now I am applying for the Contra Costa County Sheriffs Department. For troubled teens, it is not too late for a change in the route of life.

10 Hailey November 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Similar thing happened over here in the Crossings: It’s been a over a year since this occurred but someone came to our door asking if we were interested in selling my brother’s truck… it also did not have a for sale sign but had been inactive in the drive way for a few months. We said no, but he gave us his number on a note card, got into a white chevy truck (someone else was driving) and left. At first I thought the neighbor who also has a white chevy truck was asking. But I left my house shortly after, and as I pulled out of my court, noticed that the truck was driving down another court. This happened midday on a Saturday. This could have been a legit thing but if they were up to no good – why give your contact information? (No, we don’t have the card anymore and from what I can recall haven’t seen any white chevy trucks cruising the Crossings.)

11 Wisecracker November 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

1. Don’t open your door – problem solved.
2. If you continue to chose to do so, then start taking pictures and get license numbers.

If you follow number 1, then you won’t have to do number 2.

12 Ex con November 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hahaha I hope your scared. Paranoid fool..

13 Parsnip November 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Has anyone tried taking their photo through the peephole before opening the door? That can be done.

14 CoCoOld November 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Well, Spartan Dad, your street is probably safe because not even thieves would want to listen to your yelling. Fix you shift button for Pete’s sake.

15 Anon November 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM

@Wisecracker

You are an idiot.

Get pictures and license plate numbers if possible. I’d call the cops as soon as they walk away from the door. Report it as suspicious and as any officer nearby to speak to them.

16 Enfield303 November 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

@Spartan Dad…And just where do you live? A deaf colony? Why are you always yelling?

17 Ex con November 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Wooooooo so brave on this site. Bunch of phoneys.

18 Chris November 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I have had 3 different people knocking on the door. When I answered they asked if I wanted to sell my son’s car. Strange, since the car is not for sale. I’m setting my home alarm all the time now.

19 Suspicious white Ford van in PH November 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

In Pleasant Hill yesterday there was a white Ford van with out of state plates (Washington) full of suspicious acting men driving around the neighborhood checking the neighborhood out. Then after dark they were back in the same neighborhood getting out of the van and coming up to the doors. I didn’t answer my door. But it seemed suspicious. PH police said they had received other calls about the same van and were sending out someone to check it out. Anyone else see them in their neighborhood?

20 Big Fred November 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Nothing recently, a few months back we had some younger men in the neighborhood (Nut Creek) selling something…I have no clue what as I didn’t open the door! But I can stand on my couch and look out the window at my driveway without them seeing me, they seemed legit.

21 Dorothy November 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Maybe I should add a sign to my door: Have gun, Will shoot.

I’ve had people come to the door. I have a security screen but can check to see if I know who is there by a small side window. If I don’t know them, I let them know I will not open the door.

I also leave my porch light on 24/7. I started doing that when I moved here and now about half the neighbors on my court do it.

I have called the police when I feel the people might be up to no good.

22 Forever Grateful November 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM

We were broke into with an home alarm!
Always call…the police want to check these suspicious people out!

23 On Probation November 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

@Howard III

Where do you live? I’m coming…..and knocking THREE times! ohhhhhhhh

24 P_Hill Phil November 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Yesterday a little after dark we heard a knock on the door. As I looked out the peep hole a young black man in a suit turned and walked away. I looked out the window and seen he was going door to door down the street.
30 minutes later he came back and knocked. I answered the door. It was the young black man in a suit. No visible solicitor permit and no clip board. He spoke like he had a mouth full of marbles. I interrupted him after 5 secs and said “Sorry I can’t help you”. He said can I ask you a question? I said you just did… Gave him the stink eye and he left.

25 Joe A November 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Expect more of it…now that the third strike has to be “serious” more of these professionals will be making a living at your expense.

Being cased alone feels scary and feels like a violation, doesn’t it? Wait next time when when you fall asleep with your ipod and earbuds on, missing the “three strikes” at the door they gave you for warning, and they are in your house. You open your eyes and out comes poo from your butt.

But hey we’re are nice people and nice people don’t lock people up forever…what harm does it do to let them out…lol.

26 Me November 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I live in LimeRidge and I recently had someone knock on my front door well after dark. I did not answer the door and about an hour later the person returned ringing the doorbell and knocking on the door. I did not answer the door and unfortunately, did not see who actually was knocking. It was unexplanable why someone would be at my door so late at night.

27 Jeff November 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I love having nosy neighbors for this reason. They like to call the cops. And I ALWAYS look before opening the door.

Second – I’m with Howard on this one.

You knock on my door politely – I’ll be polite – and you’ll never know that I’m armed. Bang on my door, I’ll be armed and it will be visible to you when I answer. Keep knocking on my door – police are called and shotgun is at the ready. Come on in my house, and I will consider it the threat of deadly force and respond accordingly.

Criminals beware – As for the ex-con comment – bring it “homie”. Let’s see how bad you really think you are.

Lock and load, people. With another four years on the horizon, you can’t afford NOT to.

28 Cowellian November 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Suspicious knockers?

29 anon November 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Bottom line. Dogs are a good deterent from anyone knocking on the door.

30 Anon November 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Mr Mayor why do you keep posts like Ex Con #18? What is the point here.

31 T15 November 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I GOT A KNOCK ON ELECTION NIGHT. I didn’t open the door but the man saw me through the glass door, he had blonde hair I believe, a pink shirt and I think he had a white bucket in his hand? Not sure if its the same guy but they knocked once, I didn’t answer and they left.

32 Ms. Erable November 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Would it be considered bad form to answer the door holding a Mossberg 500 Defender? I’d hate to be thought of as rude.

33 Connie Dobbs November 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I grew them myself…

34 Pegasus November 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Apparently the word for today is “KNOCKERS”. Spread the word.

35 Atticus Thraxx November 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Reminds me off a line from “Young Frankenstein”:

36 Mark November 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Buy a gun while you still can and keep it handy. Tell anyone knocking late at night that you’ve called the cops – and then call the cops.

37 ChampagneKitty November 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

to Anon: the Mayor doesn’t see all of the posts that come through here. If you would like to complain about a post or poster, email him.

38 Googlar November 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Mr Anon #31 why don’t you read books and understand funny references?

39 Chevrolet girl November 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Happened to me tonight at 10pm had two cars in the driveway, lights on throughout the house. Heard a click of the door and then bang as if someone threw their body into the door. This is the second time in a month. Dogs barked, called the police. We need extra patrols in the state streets!

40 Homeowner November 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM

A few years ago someone knocked on my door and asked if I wanted to sell my car. I didn’t have a for sale sign on it, but I had been thinking about selling it. He paid cash and I didn’t have any problems as a result of the sale. He had a bullshit story about why he was buying a car. I figured he was just scoping out cars that looked like they weren’t being driven much and he was going to turn around and resell it. Fine with me. Saved me the trouble of advertising it.

41 Anon November 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM

@Googlar #39

Why don’t you edumicate me.

42 Anon November 9, 2012 at 2:27 AM

@ChampagneKitty

Thank you for letting me know.

43 Jules November 9, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Why are none of you people calling the non-emergency police number? Be proactive!! These people count on the fact that no one notices or does anythiing

44 iamerica November 9, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Spartan dad, really needs some anger classes, hopefully they have computer classes too.
He annoys the you know what outta me.

45 @Jules November 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM

@Jules
Some of us did in fact call lthe police. One of the comments said that the police had received several calls about the same white van in PH and they were checking it out.

46 DONT_ANSWER_THE_DOOR November 9, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Are you people Pavlovian dogs?

JUST BECAUSE someone knocks/rings your doorbell…DOESN’T MEAN YOU HAVE TO ANSWER!!!

DONT ANSWER THE %^$&*# DOOR!!!

I don’t want anything to happen to “you”; so DONT answer the door.

Wait.

If they leave, good.

If they try to enter CALL THE POLICE and then let ‘knocker’/’ringer’ know you’re there: turn your porch light on or off; close your window shades;
peek thru the curtains.

But DONT answer the door!!!

If you do, they’ll KNOW when your home; so they won’t try something at that time.

If you don’t answer, they WON’T know if your home or not.

What’s the law regarding “No Trespassing” signs?

47 Bad Taste November 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I hope there is at least two of them. Everybody likes a nice set of knockers!

48 Parsnip November 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM

The “Ex con” (note the portion of his handle that he put in lower case) comments are so very frightening. Oh, just what are we to do?

49 The Professor November 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

@ Pegasus #35

Actually, “LEGS” is the word of the day. Help spread the word!

I hear “suspicious knockers” and all I can think about is saline and silicone.

50 CameraZ November 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM

This is why I have security cameras. If I’m gone and some one knocks, it emails me a photo of them and I can view live video on iphone

51 Ick November 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Too bad about all the crime and scum out there. We were poor in my family, but none of us ever committed crimes to put bread on the table or clothes on our backs. We worked our butts off and got ahead. Joined the military, went to college, earned scholarships, etc. It’s so sad to see how low people have gone. They don’t care about anyone else, it’s all about them. They don’t care about who they hurt or what they do. I find it is a shame to see how cautious and fearful we all have to be because of a few scumbags. I’m thankful though that I am as old as I am and that I was taught and raised to be a good person. I remember the old days when we could trust most people and even leave our cars and houses unlocked. I remember when it was expected that if you got into a fender bender both parties would stop. Nowadays too many cowards just drive away and don’t take responsibility for their actions. It’s a crying shame.

52 RancherAtHeart November 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

We have a 235 pound dog who doesn’t like company.

53 sanchega November 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

My car got broken into this last Sunday at the Limeridge open space parking lot. Windows smashed. Since I’m smart and didn’t leave anything of value in my car when I go for a run all they left with was a cheap pair of sunglasses. Be careful around that area.

54 judaspriest November 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I love a good couple of big knockers

55 Sunfish November 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM

@54 RancherAtHeart
That is a big f@#ing dog! I definitely would not want to be around that dog.

56 I wear a pillowcase November 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Time to have a little party with me and the boys in front of Howards house.
PANSY

57 hrj November 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Let me share a couple of recent experiences with people ringing my doorbell unexpectedly.

A couple weeks ago, I woke up around 3am to someone repeatedly ringing my doorbell. As usual, I opened the window next to my front door to see who it was and it turned out to be a passer-by who had witnessed a hit-and-run on a car parked in front of my house. They thought it was my car and that I’d like to know. As it turns out, it was a neighbor’s car, but thanks to the eye-witness, I was able to get the police out to take a report immediately and with the description provided, by the time the neighbors heard about the collision, the culprit was already in custody. If I hadn’t been willing to answer my door, chances are that wouldn’t have happened.

A few nights ago, my doorbell rang in the evening and it was a woman I didn’t know who seemed a little upset. She explained that she’d had a really bad day and that she’d been admiring my roses in the front yard and was wondering if she could have one of them to help cheer her up. I thanked her for asking rather than just taking one and got the clippers and picked her out a nice, long-stemmed fragrant blossom and wished her a better evening than the day had been so far.

I’m not a naive, starry-eyed, optimist. I moved to Concord in part because of crime in my former location. But I firmly believe that if you meet the world with hate and fear and suspicion, then on the average you will receive back hate, fear and suspicion. And if you meet the world with generosity, charity, and an open heart, then on the average you will receive back open hearts in return. I lock my door — but I’m willing to open it, even for complete strangers, even at 3am (once I’ve scoped things out) and I hope that I will always continue to be willing to do so.

58 Nokeem November 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Cannot reiterate everybody else when I repeat…get a license plate and a vehicle description, driver description. I can’t tell you how high my BP gets when I read that about all of the (obvious) tells that this was something VERY WRONG. You were definitely being scoped. This is how we learn to take care of our neighborhoods. The holidays fast approacheth and these theives and junkies are desparate.

To Forever Grateful – The protocol, for those of us who have security alarms, at the present time is to PLAN for THE POLICE RESPONSE TIME. Burglars are absolutely going into homes with alarms, dogs, etc. My home was broken into last October and our beautiful (super size) yellow lab beaten.
Plan, Plan, Plan…make it so difficult to get to your precious goods once they are inside your home. You need to plan for approximately 20 minutes response time. Make it very difficult. Also, a few super size rat traps w/Stainless Steel jaws in strategic places (out of reach closets) will deliver if tripped.

59 Pegasus November 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Right you are Professor. So then we should share the word.

60 huey9k November 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Let them break in, crush their skull with a baseball bat. Kill them. Make sure they die INSIDE your house. Make sure you put a kitchen knife in their hand. Buy one at safeway if you have to. Call police. Claim self defense.

61 Forever Grateful November 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

@ Nokeem

Soooo, so sorry this happened to your dog! D&@% it. My nightmare.
When we were broken into our senior dog had just passed on. We were so glad she wasn’t in our house during the break in.
PH police did get an excellent finger print (forever grateful to our law enforcement) one of the perps. a female, is serving time.
Yes, we now have been planning…oh so much more.

62 Cape Cod Resident November 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Thank you Hrj #59, it is refreshing to see common courtesy, and good “old fashion” kindness. God Bless You. This country is lacking humanity. So many comments on this forum are down right rude and crude. I am a single woman and I always look through my kitchen window to see who is at my door before opening. Use to be the only people that knocked on my door were the “church ladies”. However, I once knocked on a strangers door at 2:00 a.m. after a motorcycle accident and fortunately they opened there door. Now we have numerous people walking around the neighborhood, at all times of day…. some are legitimate door to door sales people trying to make a living… or appear to be. I am currently unemployed so I see a lot around the neighborhood. With all the foreclosures and vacant houses, it is important to pay attention, however, not everyone is a criminal.

63 stu November 10, 2012 at 2:03 AM

This week I had some weirdo knock on my door at 8:00 at night talking about doing cleaning on carpets.

64 Bunny November 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM

It’s true. we are under no obligation to answer the door or the phone for that matter. I can go out to the patio and ask who’s calling. No way do I open my door on holloween or any other night.

65 Bunny November 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM

I wish I had a German Shepherd Dog as my brother and sister do. I plan to get one when I return east. It takes two years and wads of money to get them but they are really cool and helpful if you have the time. Looking forward to it.

66 DoReMi November 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Bunny, you could get a barking dog recorder. Or maybe a duck call…heh I had to have some fun there. Oops did some one step on a duck…oh stop it!!!!!

67 Forever Grateful November 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM

@ Bunny

Please check out German Sheperd Rescue of N. Cal. We looked at their site online for about a month. We met our girl in person and knew right away. This dog has been amazing, such a blessing. GSRN have meet and greets in our area a few times a month.
We can’t say enough great things about GSRN!