Update: ConFIRE Battling Blaze in Martinez

November 8, 2012 9:21 am · 18 comments

ConFIRE is battling an apartment fire at 900 Roanoke Drive in Martinez, which is off Alhambra.

Upon arrival, they saw smoke & flames coming from the building, according to ConFIRE.

As of right now, no injuries have been reported.

UPDATE: The fire has been extinguished. The cause is unknown.

{ 18 comments }

1 Contra Costa Taxpayer November 8, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Good work ConFire!

Yesterday, in honor of you, I tipped approximately $45 on a $30 lunch tab. I thought someone should have the $75 that you tried to rip from my hands to pad your retirement coffers.

2 Disgusted November 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Taxpayer you want to meet up somewhere and talk? You have the nerve to say anything to my face? Hide behind your computer you coward!

3 Blah November 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM

It’s okay ConFire, while the first commenter was being a douchebag, I donated my $75 so spend it however you see fit.

Thanks for the timely response when my house was on fire!

4 Smokey November 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Classy. A real high roller and advocate for your own best interest. You are a model for all our children. Well done, #1. The only thing you’ve done is guarantee fewer firefighters on duty. You are the private sector hero we’ve been waiting for, someone to stand up to firefighters and not pay your fair share. What taxes do taxpayers’ associations actually think are worth paying?

5 Also Disgusted November 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM

The commentors on this blog (#1 and #2, so far) are starting to sound very similar to the raving lunatics over on Half Way to Concord (or whatever its called). People should chill out. There’s really nothing to comment on this story at all. Fire started…now it’s out. Wow. (Although I did find it funny that they “saw smoke and flames upon arrival”. I guess that tipped them off to the legitimacy of the call.)

6 Jorge November 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

@Disgusted

I don’t know if you were meaning to be ironic but you do realize that, while writing under a pseudonym, you challenged someone to a fight and called him a coward while hiding behind your computer, right?

7 joe November 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

You don’t like how the fire dept operates then I have an idea-don’t have a fire, get in an accident, require emergency medical assistance. Think how much you spend every morning buying your precious latte or mocha. How about that 6 pack after work. If you had a job that required you to rush into a building that everyone else was trying to rush out of I think you would deserve a pension. You could have applied for the firefighters job gone through training and receive what they do. You choose not to and then complain about what they make.

8 Lori November 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

CCTaxpayer I too am sick of paying taxes out of my hard earned money. However, there are certain things that are a must. Police and firefighters !! Bet they are the first ones you call when your sissy ass is in trouble or your house is on fire. ConFire you guys do a great job but I hope I never have to call you ;)

9 Dear Lori November 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

So Lori, Tell me, if ConFire said we need a $500 annual property tax to stay running? Would you say, “I too am sick of paying taxes out of my hard earned money. However, there are certain things that are a must. Police and firefighters !! ” And if so, what if they wanted $1,000, assessed semi-annually, 80% of which will fund 6-figure salaries and 6-figure pensions. Would you still agree to pay?

So you see, there comes a point where you have to say “Hold on!” You may not think $75 is that point, but obviously other people do.

10 Disgusted November 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM

@jorge…..read it again. It’s all subjective, there isn’t anything about challenging him to a fight. I am willing to meet up and discuss. I’m flexible on when and where to meet up. And Jorge….get back to work will ya!

11 Lori November 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Dear Lori @#9 Point taken yes I can handle 75.00 no I can’t handle 500.00 or 1000.00. I still say they do a great job but you are right there does come a point…and some have reached that point. Two sides to every story

12 Priority list November 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM

How about us citizens who care about the quality of our emergency services go ahead snd donate the $75 a year to our fire services snd then be out on a list of the “people who care” so that we alone receive priority services. When calls come in for service, the ones who donated get help first, regardless of the situation. Yes, im being facetious but brings up a good point!

13 Actually November 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Actually Priority List, you can sort of do that now. Just move to a really expensive neighborhood and you’ll probably have top notch fire response. I think Marin has a pretty good crew. You get what you can afford. We can’t afford 40 stations right now at the going rate. If we paid FF’s what the rest of the country pays, we could probably have 60 stations.

14 Dear Lori November 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

You’re awesome Lori. If our politicians were more like you, things would actually get done in this country. You heard an opposing viewpoint and actually listened to it instead of dismissing it outright. I have new-found faith in humanity.

15 Anon November 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM

At post 13

You realize Con Fire is the most affordable fire district into the county second to East Con Fire. However Con Fire provides a much higher level of service with more staffing, and paramedic on every engine. If you take the bay area as a whole Con Fire Firefighters are some of the lowest paid, and have the highest employee retirement contributions.

16 Feckin Irish Mouse November 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

@ Actually – don’t need to go to Marin to find a top notch fire protection district…Just go to Alamo, Danville, San Ramon as SRVF is top notch…..you are right the folks there are willing to pay for the best and they have the best. They even fund raise so they dept can have the latest and greatest as far as equipment goes…..

17 P-hill lovin November 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Wow everyone’s really talking about taxes this long!? Yes they suck we know!!! But Damn lol!!!

Glad fire was put out