BEWARE: Vehicle Registration Stickers are a Hot Item in Claycord

November 8, 2012 · 54 comments

This seems to be happening a lot around Claycord lately.

Here’s a message from a Claycordian who just lost $83.

Woke up this morning to a CPD parking enforcement officer writing me a ticket on my truck. I went out to find out what was wrong only to find out the registration sticker was gone!

Not sure where or when it went missing. I recently started a new job that requires me to park my truck off of Detroit and Monument so I assume it was there. It’s a $63 fix it ticket and another $20 to replace the tag!

Just thought I’d send out a reminder that there are still thieves out there looking for free tags! Be careful!

Thanks for the message, and sorry about the theft.

When you put your new vehicle registration sticker on your license plate, it’s always good to take the old one(s) off, and use a razor blade to make an “x” through the new sticker once you put it on the plate. It makes it almost impossible for a thief to steal it.

1 Ian November 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Did fix it tickets go up? I thought they were $10-20 once you get the fix? And, yes, it was probably off Detroit and Monument that it got stolen.

2 SK November 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM

No, you didn’t just lose $83.00. Go get your replacement tag, then go to the PD and get the ticket signed off. Yes, it will cost something, but not $83.00.

When you get your new sticker, rub it on real hard, then score it with a sharp knife, so if anyone else tries to peel it off, it will only come off in little pieces.

Still, it is annoying to have to go through this hassle because of dishonest people, isn’t it? :(

3 Sundown November 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

The more slices you put through the sticker the less likely a thief will take it. especially if the slices can be seen. I usually do 4 vertical with 4 horizontal and a X across it. If someone tries to steel it they get little pieces. I have had someone try after doing this. they got two tiny pieces and gave up.

4 Anon777 November 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

How can they force you to pay a ticket when it was STOLEN? Can you dispute with a police report or something? They could put me in jail before I’d pay this ticket if my reg was stolen, that’s for sure!

5 Tired of Being Victimized! November 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Maybe they should catch the people doing this instead of writing a ticket on the ones who did the right thing. Don’t they run the license plate through a computer first? Wouldn’t that let them know the registration is current? Aren’t we getting double dipped for a fixit tix and a fee to pay for a new sticker? Perhaps they should just issue a warning ticket so as not to cause another charge on the poor victim. Blood sucking bureacrats!

6 Kendall November 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Great advice Mayor! Gonna go out and do it right now!

7 BP November 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Then they take the whole plate. Happened to me TWO times.

8 Clayton Squirrel November 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM

This happened to me years ago in Davis. They peeled off my current registration sticker and about five underneath it. If you can prove that your car is registered and explain what happened, you shouldn’t have to pay the full price of the ticket but you will have to pay a fee to get a replacement sticker.

9 The Starcraft November 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I didn’t know it was possible to get a parking ticket for expired registration.

10 !! November 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Seems outragous to have to pay a $63 fix it ticket for that! Once you purchase the sticker you should be waived of the fine for it missing as it’s obviously a theft. Can you sue DMV for that? Rediculous!

11 Noj November 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

12 jj November 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

anything for a easy buck for the thieves and the cops

13 CPD has time to check registrations on parked cars? November 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I’m really surprised to learn that CPD has time to check registrations on parked cars, since they told me they didn’t have time to go out on calls like someone bashing in a car’s windows with a baseball bat…

I don’t think they usually do have time to check registrations though…I kept forgetting to put my new sticker on for several months, and park downtown for work, and wasn’t ticketed.

14 ChampagneKitty November 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I would definitely fight the ticket if you can show that your registration is current. No, you can’t sue the DMV for having to pay for a replacement sticker. It’s just one of those unfair things in life. I remember when I lived in my first place in Concord in 1995-1999, I discovered that someone stole my registration sticker, and took off several years worth of previous stickers with it. I went down to the DMV to let them know. It wasn’t hard to get a new sticker, but I did have to pay a fee.

15 z4u2c November 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Really, you still pay a fine for people stealing your tags even though you have the document to prove it? Even though you are not there next to your vehicle, cops should run the plates first thru DMV records like being stop for a violation. What if the vehicle is stolen, they are just gonna site that for not having the proper tags? Wow.. that is rediculous!

16 Fred November 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Was a big problem here in Texas so now we put our stickers inside on the window.

17 Thank You Mayor! November 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Great practical tip on razoring the registration stickers, will do immediately.

18 JD November 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Call me naive, but I thought the stickers were already supposed to be permanent. I’m going to score my sticker tonight when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

Fifteen years ago, we had a similar problem in Jacksonville, FL. They didn’t take stickers, but the whole plate! We removed our plates every night and put them back on in the morning.

19 mileena November 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

@Noj #11:

“Send the cops over to the dental building parking lot at 4415 Cowell Road. Lots of vehicles there with expired tags.”

California might be different, but I know in other states, cops cannot ticket you for that on private property.

20 mileena November 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM

In New York state, you put your registration in your front windshiled. There is no sticker on the plate itself.

My mom her her California license plate stolen, and from that day on, she put her plate in her back window, partially obstructing the high-mount third brake light to hold it up.

Re paying for the fix-it ticket or a fee if you have it signed off, I think the reasoning is one should know if there license plate or registration sticker is missing, especially if a number of days have passed. You are responsible for your own car. Of course, if the theft occurred the previous day or so, then I believe you would have a defense to not pay a fix-it ticket fee.

21 Zoey November 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

If you do not take off the old sticker before yopu put on the new one, all the cuts in the world could be useless because once oyu get 5 or 6 layers, they can just pull the wholw thick stack of stickers off. You want to put every new sticker on the metal if possible,,,Then slice it.

The officers who give out these tickets are parking enforcement officers. That is their job. They do not go to calls for service.

22 J. November 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Who has razor blades?

I only have Safety Razors :)

Sniff, sniff.

23 J. November 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

@mileena #19
Concord has a special City Ordinance that says your vehicle even on Private Property must be Registered. Otherwise, ITHO, it’s a junker and a nuisance.

24 mileena November 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

One last thing: in Philadelphia only (not the rest of Pennsylvania), because of theft (lots of people there are poor), in the early 2000’s, they used to give you a somewhat large sticker card to put in your back window, instead of the plate. The problem was the adhesive was not that good and people began complaining that it would blow out from the back window if your windows were open. And if you had a convertible with the top down,the sticker was not visible at all. So they ended that system and went back to regular stickers on the plate, but they moved the sticker position to the top corner, so it would be harder to cut the plate because of the screws.

25 ConcordCatLady November 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

@Noj, I don’t believe they can ticket you for registration if it’s in a parking lot… only public streets.

And I agree, fix it tickets use to be $10… kind of hard to believe it went up THAT much..

26 mileena November 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I’m sorry I forgot to add to my last post above:

And because so many registration stickers fell off from the back window in Philadelphia, cops there even began not enforcing registration sticker violations. There was no way for them to quickly tell if the registration was current unless they called the plate in.

27 LostBoysMom November 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM

A few months ago I had my mom’s van with handicap plates and a brand new sticker. They stole the whole plate. Because it was a handicap plate there was extra hassle getting it replaced. Low lifes!

28 David November 8, 2012 at 12:21 PM

This happened to me a few months ago, the new sticker was $10-$15 (can’t remember exactly) at AAA and $15 or so for the fixit verification fee at CPD.

29 Elwood November 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Detroit and Monument?

Probably those damn’ Swedes again!

30 Connie Dobbs November 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM

#22, Use your Buck knife.

31 Googlar November 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

This happened to me on Monument before and it cost $25 to get a new sticker. It was the most expensive sticker I ever bought. Now when I buy any more of these stickers I protect them by cutting them into little pieces after applying them to my car so it is impossible to peel of.

32 Kristy Blackstock November 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM

You should fight that ticket. If you can prove you had current registration then you shouldn’t have to pay the ticket to fix it (yes maybe $20 for new tag, that sux) but not a ticket!
that cop was a douche!

33 Concord Resident November 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I had mine stolen earlier this year and I think it’s BS that we have to suffer more and PAY to have the ticket SIGNED OFF and Then again to have it dismissed. F*#$%! BS and that is Concord trying to collect $$$ from us hard working people, when they should be catching the Bastard that committed the crime. Problem is that it’s such a LOW PRIORITY crime that CPD won’t do anything about it and just say SORRY gotta pay your ticket. Whatever happened to understanding that we are VICTIMS and the police is just moving the knife around inside of you more. Sometimes they are as bad as the criminals.

34 hcknights November 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Kristy, first off cops at concord, in 99.9% of cases do not write parking enforcement tickets, that is the CSO’s job. Secondly how is that CSO a douche? How was he suppose to know that the ticket was stolen? There was no way of knowing if it was stolen and the CSO was just doing there job.

35 Screwy Louie November 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Bring your registration to court in Concord and ask to see the judge.
He should just dismiss it right then without a fine. It’s a hassle and you waste the morning, but hearing the stories and lame excuses of others during court is always entertaining.

36 Killjoy November 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I had a sticker stolen off my plate in my driveway a few years ago.
Had to pay for a replacement sticker, but didn’t get a fix it ticket.
Now every year when I get a new sticker, I peel the old one off, put the new one on, and slice the dickens out of it. My sticker is in about 30 pieces.

37 The Concordian November 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Another tip: Take a photo of your plate with the sticker on it – make sure you have a date stamp, or a newspaper. Makes it easy to argue your case. Also remove any old stickers – it is easy to scrape the whole wad off, even if you score the upper one. And clean the surface of the license plate to ensure a good stick.

38 J. November 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

@ConcordCatLady #25
Citation:

On Private Property
•Major vehicle repairs like replacing an engine or transmission are not permitted. This work should be done in either a closed garage or commercial auto repair shop.
•Abandoned, unregistered, or inoperable vehicles on private property should be reported to Neighborhood Preservation at (925) 671-3454 or by email to cleanup@ci.concord.ca.us

39 KAD November 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Yes, they can give you a ticket in parking lots including BART parking lots. Happened to a friend of mine.

40 david November 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

AND YOU ARE GOING TO PAY THAT FIX-IT TICKET?? the cop didnt check to see that your vehicle registration fees were paid? correct me if i am wrong but, werent you the victim? come on people. why do you let the government get away with this stuff? what can i do? i hear you say, fight the fine. PLEASE!! and CONCORDIAN, what do you think your reg slip is? not that you need it because if the officer was doing there job they can check to see the reg fees are paid. but because you all say, “oh i’ll just pay it.” they keep taking your money when they dont have the right. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

41 stoopid monkey November 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Had my registration stolen off my car by my next door neighbor. My month sticker was stolen and then they stole the year. They put each sticker on a different vehicle. We called the police and took pictures of the sticker on their vehicle and what was left on ours. The corner tore off and they matched. Not to mention the fact that the numbers matched our paperwork. When the cops came they spoke with the tweakers next door and told us there was nothing they could do to prosecute them as neither of the vehicles registrations were in their names. They were “their friends” cars. The only thing they could do was have them remove the stickers in the presence of the officer. I believe I got the month sticker for nothing, but the year sticker cost me $12.

42 Ooops! November 8, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I drove around for an entire year in a registered vehicle without tags. Never had a problem. I was VERY lucky.

43 mormon November 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM

i wasn’t aware that this was a “parking violation”,… my memory says that this is a “moving violation” and an infraction has only occurred if the vehicle is actually not registered.

i also speak from experience not having my new sticker on my plate. i was pulled over,.. showed them the new registration paper with sticker stapled to it,.. and was told to have a nice day.

44 Cowellian November 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM

My son never got around to registering his car one year. About 7 months later, he got pulled over in Foster City, strictly for the registration violation. It was less than a year overdue, but they still towed his car. Since it was on Friday night of a three-day weekend, the parking fee was several hundred dollars.

45 @Cowellian November 8, 2012 at 9:28 PM

It it was more than 6 months past due, that is why they towed his car. That is the law and it is mandatory after 6 months of not taking care of your responsibilities as a vehicle owner in California.

46 ConcordRes November 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Use a razor blade and put at least five+ slashes through It so they cant steal It unless Its in pieces.

47 Mr. Bassman November 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM

And what purpose does the mandatory vehicle registration law serve? To collect fees and fines to keep the DMV offices stocked with obese government employees with obese benefits and retirement packages. Does the money really go towards highway improvements? If we didn’t have some of the worst highways I’ve seen on three continents, I’d say maybe. And don’t give me that garbage about “gross polluters” and global warming. If a vehicle is smoking, give them a ticket, no registration tags or fees needed. Worried about “carbon emissions?” Look up what ALL life on this planet is based on. You guessed it, carbon! Sorry for the rant, I’m just about fed up with junk science being the basis of laws that penalize we, the people.

Last time I was at a DMV office, I noticed something I’d never given much thought to before. Almost everyone was there to pay some kind of fee or fine. The place was packed with people to the point it was standing room only, all paying who knows how much money to the state. Let’s average it out to what is probably a low estimate of $100.00 per person. This one office, for the nearly 60 minutes I was there, went through around 100 people. So let’s see, 100 people per hour x $100 per person = $10,000.00 per hour this office was probably bringing in. Now, I’d guess if you added all of the other DMV offices in Ca, the average $ they bring in per hour, multiplied by the number of hours open, PLUS everyone who pays for whatever they need to online or via mail, that even after paying overhead “which lets be honest, really shouldn’t be TOO high based on the low level of customer service, people skills and the lack of general intelligence in the staff members,” CA should not only have the best roads on the planet, but this state should never have a budget deficit. Ever.

48 Jp November 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM

We had ours taken Mountainview Elementary during a soccer game a month or so ago

49 Cowellian November 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I know he knew better. When he was in school, he did parking enforcement as a Sheriff’s intern. I suspect he’ll never again be late with his registration.

50 Screwy Louie November 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Mr. Bassman @47
100% of CHP salaries come from DMV fees
(thats why CHP will always pull you over for expired tags)

51 anon November 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

“I didn’t know it was possible to get a parking ticket for expired registration.”

You don’t get out much do you ????

52 Wow November 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Wow…that blows!

53 darcy hubbert November 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Gosh! This is terrible! Thanks for sharing such advice!

54 Bubba Wadd November 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I work with a person who drove a vehicle that had not been registered in 7 years, they finally got it, but 7 years?

I also have a neighbor who drove a new hummer for over 3 years with paper plates. I pointed it out to an officer right down the street who said he would see him in town sometime and write them a ticket.

I have a vehicle the tags never came for, even though the registration was paid I got a fix it ticket which cost $25, the Judge said guilty, pay the fine. Ahole.