Chick-fil-A Opens in Walnut Creek on Thursday – People Camp Out to be Part of the “First 100″ – Protests Planned

November 7, 2012 · 148 comments

Lovers of Chick-fil-A are camping out in the new restaurant’s parking lot on North Main Street in Walnut Creek in order to be part of the “first 100″.

When a new Chick-fil-A restaurant opens, which it will on Thursday morning, the first 100 customers get a free meal every single week for an entire year.

It won’t be all fun and games though, because protests are planned for Thursday.

A page on facebook was set up to alert the public about the protest. They say they’ll be at the restaurant’s grand opening to hold a peaceful protest and to “educate the public about monetary donations made (by the owners of Chick-fil-A) to homophobic and discriminatory organizations such as the Family Research Council, Exodus International and Focus on the Family. These donations totaled more than $5,000,000 between 2003-2010. We firmly believe the First Amendment applies to everyone, even those with whom we disagree.”

The grand opening is set for Thursday morning.

photo: courtesy of Chick-fil-A on facebook

1 Spark Baldman November 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM

what times it open

2 lolo November 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I definitely will NOT be going there. Get with the times Chick-fil-A, homosexuals are the not the evil in this world today.

3 Poster Boy November 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Omg! It’s a restaurant. Idiots and their protesting.

4 Liberal Here... November 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I’ll be there to peacefully protest.

5 KenInConcord November 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM

This is great!!!

I think that every employee at every business should be required to wear a informational tag that tells us everything they do in their personal life.

I want to know personal sexual preferences, their hobby’s, voting history, volunteering history, organizations they belong to, churches they attend!!!!

Then we can make educated decisions about who we are doing business with.

Maybe we need a government agency to monitor and “CHIP” every person so everyone’s activity so it can be available for public review.

KenInConcord

6 Victor mature November 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I base my beliefs on deliciousness. And chick fil gay is hella good.

7 Bob November 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I love this company! I will be eating there. I believe in free speech.

8 KenInConcord November 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Oh wait, only certain and selective personal and private activities that YOU feel are not acceptable, only though things should be under attack.

ConfusedInConcord

9 WOW November 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

WOW this says a lot about where the US is headed when we have people camped outside a fast food restaurant just to be the first “100”. Don’t these people have anything better to do?

10 really? November 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Really? Why is it that ANY people, would give a crap about what and who they donate funds too? I mean, I guess if was to the KKK or something like that I can see a reason to protest but the owners have every right to donate to organizations as anyone else does. How does a protest help? I actually am now going to go there just to support the freedoms we still have, to donate and stand on what we believe. Thanks to all the over zelot freaks who are just going to bring chick MORE business!

11 NoMoreFreeRide November 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Maybe the protesters can do another nationwide protest which drove Chick-fil-A to their largest one day sales ever. Come on I dare you! Idiots! So you don’t like what they believe in get over it. Maybe they don’t like your lifestyle but their not down in the Castro whining about it.

12 Abe on Ayers November 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM

It’s getting real in the Chick-fil-a parking lot!

13 viton November 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

A tip o’ the cap and hearty THANK YOU to the Gay Brigade for prompting me to go try Chick-fil-A for the first time.

14 Puke Fil A November 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Thank goodness this place opened in Walnut Creek instead of Concord. Now us Concordians can make fun of “the backward rednecks down the road” in WC for a change.

15 MMMM MMMM TIME FOR PIE!!!!11!!1 November 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Quick question: if it’s alright to protest them for being against gay marriage, can we boycott your employer because they employ someone who is in favor of gay marriage?

16 livininconocrd November 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I agree with KeninConcord.
We still have some rights, and one of those is to believe in what we want. For those of you who want Sharia law – move overseas. Women can still vote here and not wear a headdress. Should we kow tow to those who think that a woman’s place is in the home. We have the free right to spend money where we want, and give money to any charity we want. Let’s keep it that way please.

17 DT November 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Wonder if people would still support it if they found out that Chick-Fil-A gave $5,000,000 to white supremicist groups? Would that still be ‘freedom of speech’ to you people? Think about it. Same damn thing. Hate is hate, call it whatever you want. This is about more than chicken sandwiches people.

18 anonamiss November 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Drove by this today and couldn’t believe my eyes!! Who would camp out all night for fast food??

19 Shuley November 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

wow, and I thought the people who camped out for an iphone were idiots..

20 KenInConcord November 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM

YES YES YES Protest away!!!

I hope that everyone on the whole county comes down and check out the protest on opening day. See what all the commotion is about, Meet some friends and maybe enjoy a 24oz Drink with a Deluxe Chicken Sandwich, wonderful boneless breast of chicken seasoned to perfection, hand-breaded, pressure cooked in 100% refined peanut oil and served on a toasted, buttered bun with dill pickle chips, Green Leaf lettuce, tomato and American cheese on a Golden Wheat bun.
All for $4.45….

21 Chuckie's Wife November 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

…and there I thought “progressives” were open-minded and tolerant of other’s views… I’ll definitely be dining there. Probably not Thursday, but sometime soon.

22 Rob November 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

MMMM MMMM TIME FOR PIE!!!!11!!1 November 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM

—-

The comparison would be to boycott a company that supports gay marriage causes – not just because they have an employee that does…

23 hj November 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Get a life,people. And a job.

24 aonoooo November 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

More insanity from the left fringe. Several of us will be there with cameras and video recorders so please do your expected absolute worst.
You owe it to your cause. Show your support. The more outrageous the better. We’ll record it for you and you’ll get you 15 minutes of fame and maybe a state paid vacation.

25 slipster November 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Not everybody needs to think the way YOU do! People

Go protest.. their business will NOT suffer.

Why don’t you be productive with your time?

Go pick up trash, clean homeless encampments, bring a puppy to a retirement home, plant flowers in a bare median or collect donated clothes for victims of Sandy.

You will do NOTHING to advance your cause by sitting in front of a fast food chain (as hundreds of others have around the country). Maybe you’ll get on camera for a minute if the news crew shows up (oh, you’d love that)…but this company is employing people in our area!

This country needs jobs and ultimately who you are making things uncomfortable are those who will have to pass by your smug signs to work. It’s very selfish and to think your action of showing up will even spend one millisecond on the minds of the founders of the company or change a persons mind who is already going to eat there, you are out of your mind.

They are following hiring practices that every business follows by the law. This business are not oppressive!

Don’t be ridiculous

26 hj November 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I blame Obama.

27 RancherAtHeart November 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Love Chick-Fil-A…..get real people and get a job instead of protesting against a private company. Don’t you have better things to do with your time? Who cares how you manipulate the statements that were made. I don’t….I personally can’t wait to go eat there. Protests are just a drain on taxpayer dollars…..

28 Brad H November 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I don’t understand what the debate is all about. Chick-Fil-A corporate is anti-gay marriage and funds campaigns to make it illegal. That’s their right. You can disagree with their views and not eat there or go protest or do whatever, including going down there with your same-sex partner and having yourself a chicken sammy. That’s your right.

However, I went there twice in the last 3 years, once in Atlanta and once in Baltimore. Both times I got sick. I’m pretty much done with that place. Enjoy.

29 Just a Concordian November 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

weee chicken chicken chicken

I’ll take it. Know why? Nice website, nice food, nice presentation and nice cow posters. And I DO NOT turn a chicken sandwich into a political issue like some. And guess what, i am quite liberal, which ALSO means letting others do whatever the hell they want as well!

30 Schmee November 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Ha the republicans lost.

Losers

31 DoReMi November 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Wow. A free meal every week for 100 people? Now that is very cool. I will have to go there and give them a try.

As to the homosexual agenda. Traditional Marriage is not what gays have. Create a new ideal for your very new life style 9though I have been told by many that this already exists). Hook up and by all means, try a monogamus relationship-for life. I recommend it.

32 pmj November 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I ll be there for the grand opening….get your priorities straight people….good food from people with their own right to have an opinion.

33 Horse'n Around November 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Who cares! It’s a fast food resturaunt.

34 Amazed November 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

@Chuckie’s Wife

So you think tolerance means that you don’t get to protest, that you have to keep your mouth shut, when a person or company actively does something to curtail your civil liberties? Or Chick-Fil-A’s COO is entitled to freedom of speech, but the protesters are not? That’s, well, an oddly narrow definition of tolerance.

35 LMAO DT November 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM

You still occupying Oakland too? Your view and accuracy on situation are very dated. Suggest you do some reading.

36 I normally don't eat out...but I'll stop by to support them November 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I have no idea what kind of food they have, but I see they need support, so I’ll stop by to show support for them.

37 joe November 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM

So do you check contributions by the owners of every business that you purchase from? If not why not? Do you refuse to go in to a business owned by a Mormon or that hires a Mormon as that money will go towards groups that you may not support? Grow up a company can choose who they wish to give money to, and you as a consumer can choose not to partake of that business. They are not forcing their beliefs on you, eat where you want, shop where you want, and support business that you want to support.

38 @WOW #9 November 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

No different than the fools who camp out for Black Friday to get the “deal” on the computer, TV, or microwave.

39 SMILE November 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

This is such a great place to eat! I love the the customer service! I dont see anything wrong w/ believing in traditional marrige.

40 Living in Claycord November 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I ate a Chik-fil-A once, and will never do it again. The food was as disgusting as any fast food can be.

41 coolkat November 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I voted YES on Prop 8, now give me some f’in chicken!!!!

42 Ryan November 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM

@DT: “This is about more than chicken sandwiches people”

Nope…not to me it isn’t. Those sandwiches are HELLA GRUB!

43 Anon November 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

So they called our company and told us they would be bringing sandwiches for about 30 people. They never showed up, never called and never sent a followup to us.

Poor service. I think I will Yelp them.

44 Hurray! It's Chick Fil A! November 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

My family loves Chick Fil A. We rarely eat fast food but will visit Chick Fil A about twice a month. Thanks for coming to the East Bay. As far as I’m concerned, CFA is welcome here.

45 Elene November 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I thought they were all camping out to apply for a job.

46 Atticus Thraxx November 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM

If the first 100 people were all gay, now that would be delicious.

47 Elwood November 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM

It’s Kaliforniyay, folks! Everything is protested. Making sense is in no way a requirement.

If Jesus came back tomorrow there would be protests. (Traffic, noise, dust, no environmental impact report).

In Kaliforniyay the inmates strive every day to take over the asylum!

48 Palermo November 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I am so tired of this area. I agree with Chuckie’s wife, libs INSIST everybody agree with their every opinion. I have nothing against gays, we have several in the family, love them all. It has nothing to do with buying a chicken sandwich. Everybody at every business in the world has opinions that you might disagree with, this is not that serious.

49 IVAN THE TROLLIBLE!!! RAWR!!! November 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

There’s just a special brand of STUPID that this place oozes. It’s like a car wreck I can’t look away from.

1. Those of you talking about donating to whoever you want. You’re idiots. You can personally donate your money to whoever you want sure. That is not what happened with Chick Fil A. The corporation ITSELF donates monies to these anti gay groups. We aren’t talking about what the employees do in their own personal time.(I would suggest a name change to Keninthebackoftheshortbus) There are many laws about who and what corporations can donate to. It’s not YOUR right in any way and you’re all morons for even bringing personal rights into what businesses do. They are apples and oranges. (better specify for this group : those are two different fruits you can’t compare) This goes back to the Citizens United decision. Corporations are NOT people, and do not have personal rights. It’s inbreds like you all that keep giving corporations power like the Citizens U ruling. Ironically only when it suits your particular agenda though. Then when they aren’t you blame the government. There is not a single one of you that wouldn’t boycott a company for donating to a group that you have a problem with. When you bash other people for doing something each of you would definitely do in different circumstances you only show off your stupidity. Which makes me happy so please keep at it.

2. Anyone who camps out for ANYTHING is a candidate for a career as a Wal Mart door greeter. Wastes of space.

50 @ DT November 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I still would for sure…there chicken sandos and nuggets are THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51 Jeffrey Martin November 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Rob- of course. Freedom of speech and protest apply to everyone. The issue is not one of speech, as many have claimed. The issue is that the money spent at Chick-fil-a is contributing to their contributions to organizations and causes that are discriminatory. Chick-fil-a is not only speaking in favor of discrimination but also funding it. We cannot be a part of that, and by giving them money, you are. If you disagree with our employers for supporting marriage equality, by all means protest and boycott. But hopefully you will recognize the difference between protesting equality and protesting discrimination. This is not simply a difference of opinion as you frame it. It is a matter of civil rights.

52 ummmm November 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I don’t agree with their beliefs/decisions, but why am I going to make MYSELF suffer and not eat at one of the best fast food restaurants….IT’S DELICIOUS!

53 Stev November 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

DT,
Stupid and very tired analogy. And I bet in your world, groups like La Raza, MEChA, and the New Black Panther Party are simply “free speech advocates.”

54 anonomiss November 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Chick-Fil-A thanks you for the free publicity.

I’ll be going on Thursday for some grub, I didn’t know they were opening.

55 the Shi ite November 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Agree with #5.

Let’s just bring Shariah law / Taliban rule right here in the USA! Oh, under a different name though, but the same Spirit none the less.
Maybe we can get Acid attacks here as well.

*CAUTION ABOUT VIDEO – It’s Graphic, but Truth about what is going on in the world, while America is asleep.

56 The Dude November 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM

OK Ken, you just sold one chicken sandwich. That sounds tasty, I’ll have to go try it. Don’t agree with their stance on gay marriage, but it’s a reasonable differing opinion, and their entitled to it. I hope everyone that does actively boycott them does it with all other companies too then. Apple has had riots and suicides at their Chinese factories where they pack workers into company owned dormitories. Hope the protestors don’t do business with them either.

57 Soccermomwithabrain November 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

@Chuckie’s wife – I agree. I thought you liberals were tolerant of other people’s opinions. I guess it’s only when a company agrees with your values that they are allowed to succeed.

58 Skyscraper November 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I have been looking forward to eating at this restaurant for months. I can hardly wait!

BTW – The “First 100″ is a Chick-Fil-A sponsered promotion and in order to be one of the first 100 and claim the food prize, contentants are REQUIRED to pre-register AND camp out in the parking lot the night before. This is not spontaneous.

I think those heterophobes out there need to grow up.

59 Rich C. November 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll swing by this weekend to protest by purchasing something delicious just to annoy people who don’t understand the concept of free speech.

60 Check it out K November 7, 2012 at 5:43 PM

My question is about In N Out…they have biblical verses on their cups and no one says boo about it. I will be eating at Chick Fil A to support freedom of speech.

Acceptance is a funny thing, it goes both ways people!

61 anon November 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I don’t know what their food tastes like and I never will because I’ll never go there.

62 Protesters are lame and without a leg to stand on November 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I would like to know if all the protesters research, investigate and interview every owner of every business they deal with. I will tell you that answer: NO! Who cares what someone’s opinion is—they have a right to it!!! Someone that supports the democratic party still patronizes republican owned businesses and vice versa so really, STOP LOOKING FOR ATTENTION! You protest just to hear yourself protest! Ridiculous! Live and let live, right? You cna’t force people to believe what you think is right or wrong. And your protests don’t make anyone think any better of what you are trying to force them to convert to…YOU ARE BEING A BULLY! Calm down, quit yelling and fill your mouth with a tasty chicken sandwich instead. LOL!

63 N. Saban November 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

They sponsor a great college bowl game, can’t wait to go scarf a couple sammies.

64 N. Saban November 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

#63,
You should probably avoid mentioning anything to this bunch about filling their mouths. Before you know it there’s some kind of Jack Tripper/Three’s Company misunderstanding and then…well, it could get very ugly out there in the Dub-C.

65 The Real McCoy November 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

So… if someone exercises their right of free speech to protest someone they disagree with, that means they hate free speech? Wtf? Get the chlorine, I need to clean Claycord’s gene pool.

66 JG27 AD November 7, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Need a plumber? Better make sure he is a Obama supporter.

Need that roof fixed? Maybe you should check for the “proper” voter registration.

Tires going bald? Hope the shop donated to the Miller campaign.

und so weiter….

AD

67 12ga November 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I hope someone chucks water balloons at you idiot protestors!!!

68 Cody November 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

As opposed to rallying and singing at a fast food drive thru window; both the protestors and society would be better served with the time dedicated to a more useful endevor such as volunteering Second Harvest Food Bank. If you really want to help; spend your time making a real difference for yourself and others.

69 Ven Xeter November 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I plan to eat there often just to spite the bigoted protesters.

70 Two way street November 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

My whole feeling is that if you are against something then don’t support it. Take your business elsewhere but allow the people that want to go there to be there in peace.

71 The Kabitser November 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Sweet, all that camping out for 52 Chicken sandwiches

72 Mr. John November 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I don’t support the things the owner supports, but I don’t think think that giving them free advertising and media coverage is the right answer. CfA’s donations paid for themselves many times over in increased sales from the free advertising. I have my doubts that it was a coincidence that these claims hit the media right before CfA was pushing West so strongly.

73 Scooter November 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Wow…I am embarrassed and ashamed of the ignorant posts on here. Most of them are NOT regualr posters on Claycord, so my hope is they are simply trollers who are out to cause trouble and sread hate in the world.

Intelligent people, please read on……

Protesting Chick-fil-a is NOT about any objection to anyone’s free speech. Can you people just not get that? One poster above said its not worth a protest, “it’s not like they are donating to the KKK or anything”…..well, actually, it is like that.

Chick-fil-a gives millions…MILLIONS…of dollars every year to certified gay hate groups. Not simply religous groups, or groups that promote traditional marriage…HATE GROUPS, who actively work towards eliminating EVERY protection gay people have even under laws today. These hate groups want to make it legal to fire someone jsut for being gay…to deny housing to someone just for being gay….to make even BEING gay illegal and punishable with prison time….these are NOT simply “Christian Values” groups, and NO other National Corporatioin donates money to these certifed hate groups. None.

So call me names (we are used to being bullied), tell me I’m stupid for protesting this hateful business for coming into my neighboorhood…..you might feel differently if some company that worked very hard to strip you of basic human dignity moved into your neighborhood.

They have every right to free speech, but thankfully our laws still allow for me to protest their business, and if I can convince one person NOT to give them their business, it is worth it, because anyone who spends a dime there is also donating to these hate groups, and therefore, personally attacking me.

So please educate yourselves on the real issue before making yourself ;look ;like an idiot by posting hateful, stupid remarks.

74 Rob November 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

The first 100 people also will get a bonus prize….diabetes!

75 jp November 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM

They’re entitled to their opinion. The protestors say they respect everyone’s first amendment rights, even if they disagree….but they’re trying to put them out of business. Focus on the Family is not a gay hate group. They are against gay marriage, that does not make them haters of any kind. It just makes them someone you disagree with.

76 tess tickles November 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM

If i was a chick i would be gay ….. just saying .Hell i gross myself out sometimes. As far as fast food goes , not a big fan ……. not that theres anything wrong with it.

77 dj November 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I wonder if any homeless people are any of the “First 100″.

78 Em Dubya November 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Wow! The market place of ideas has lots of rotten bananas for sale today…on both sides of the aisle.

That’s what free speech is supposed to be; a messy public debate between PRIVATE CITIZENS. Everyone should worry if a local government begins to opine on which view is “right” – like they did in Chicago.

79 Doris November 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM

There are so many more important issues than this, why are you people wasting your time on this? It’s a fast food joint. Get over it and move on.

80 Mike Fernandez November 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more, Jeffrey.

81 Amazed November 7, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Well said, Scooter. And I’m willing to bet that, by and large, those protesters will be a lot more civil than the wingnuts who regularly use vile epithets to refer to President Obama, gays and others they disagree with.

82 Walnut Creek Resident November 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Just because the owner of Chick-filet is so outspoken and has his own ideas why do you all protest ?.WE live in a free country. I am a liberal too.. It is pretty bad when we all have to agree or else… I do not need to be educated thank you.. I am very aware of all that was said and done. We live in the United States. I think the protestors should be invited to protest off their property. Maybe protest at home with a sign on your front lawn. Also that owner has a right to spend his money hating gays if he wants to do so. None of your business. It is a democracy and and he should have the absolute right to do that You can buy your food other places and keep off his property!! That is me a true Liberal speaking with many gay friends. Read the constitution. Where does it say you have to like gays and you must not not fund hateful groups?

83 Pegasus November 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Yep, public protesting – voicing your protected objection to any damn thing that musses your hair. Bunch of wankers.
I especially like that bunch of inbred assholes from that Baptist Bastard Church when they gather round our dead heroes funerals and harass the families calling them all sorts of sweet names. I’m sure they’d be happy to help your worthy cause.
Maybe you frail bunch of girlymen should consider joining their order. All you need do is shag a cousin. Hell you’re probably qualified already.

84 Pleasant Jenny November 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I have nothing intelligent to say so I will therefore quote my adorable 82 year old Mother In Law if she saw this story. “Oh Brother! It all comes out in the wash!” I simply cannot wait to be OLD – ER!

85 Chester E. Kitty November 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Hey … calling all protestors … Costco just came out and said they stand behind gay marriage … so all of you should go have a hot dog tomorrow at Costco and leave Chick-fil-a alone!

Just remember … FREE speech applies to EVERYONE!!

86 Cold Hearted Bastard November 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I’ll boycott Chick-fil-A based on what they offer on their menu.

If we stop going to businesses based solely on their political and/or religious believes, there wouldn’t be (m)any place to shop/eat. I’m for gay marriage, but I can’t force my views onto others that don’t, and no one will convince me otherwise.

Chick-fil-A, obviously doesn’t care what others think, the more people protest the more publicity they get.

87 Dr Jellyfinger November 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

One day we are electing a black man President & the next day we are protesting fried chicken? I don’t understand America anymore. Writing myself a prescription for happy pills………

88 Lizzy Van Dyke November 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Chester, Me & my Gal don’t like hot dogs. Does Costco sell tacos?

89 Triple Canopy November 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM

According to the protesters, free speech is OK so long as it aligns with their beliefs.

They should really study the US Constitution. I believe it is a failure of our education system that they do not understand it.

90 I wasn't gonna post, but... November 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM

If you don’t agree 100% with me, then I am against you. Not just to disagree, and respect your beliefs, but AGAINST you in every way I can. I will blow whistles, smash store front windows, spray paint on your wall, throw red paint on you….

YOU HAVE to accept MY beliefs. You just HAVE TO, you have no other choice.

What ever happened to “just don’t patronize that business”? No. You want everyone else to do so also. Never mind that it is a new restaurant, with lots of jobs for the community. Sales tax revenue. Probably good tasting food. (I have never had a Chick Filet BTW).

That’s what is wrong with our society. No respect. No tolerance. You preach tolerance for your gay views, or your race, or whatever the cause that is trendy….but GOD FORBID if you are not 100% with me.

91 Pegasus November 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM

@ Lizzy Van Dyke 89 –
Hot dogs v. tacos – Well done! – I heard the clams ain’t bad.

92 Scooter November 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

@JP….do your homework…Foucs on the family is just ONE group they donate to…they also donate HATE groups, like Family Research Council, which IS a hate group…so much so, that they paid lobbyists to try and prevent the US Congress from passing bill in 2010 opposing the proposed law in Uganda to punish homosexulaity with Life in Prison and the Death Penalty….dont believe me? Look it up..House resolution 1064. Try being educated before you post.

PEOPLE DON’T KNOW HOW TO READ….we are not saying we dont believe in free speech, yours, theirs, everyones. And No Where did we say you have to agree with us!! You are free to have whatever beliefs you do……but most people (as clearly evidenced here on this board) do NOT understand the point! It is not about free speech! People are not aware of what this company is really doing! If any of you are african american….how would you feel if some corporation decided to open up in your town, and you foundout they take millions of dollars from profits and donate them to the KKK….would you so easily say ” just don’t eat there” or “jeesh, dont you have anything better to do”? Would you really say that?

Sorry- but I am protesting because this is a company who is funding hate groups who’s only goal is to strip me of every single right….to me, that’s worth fighting for. I dont care what they say, or what their beliefs are…but when they consciously attack a group of people in a disciminitory way, thats not ok.

93 Dupe Recipe Here November 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM

This is a well researched and beautifully presented dupe recipe for this chicken sandwich. But towards the end when she discusses the brining of the chicken, she is miffed as to what they use, and makes up a simple brine. I heard the top secret brine is pickle juice from the jar… Ssshhh, don’t tell or you’ll go to hell.

94 Greg November 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Scooter,
Keep up the good work. You see and understand the bigger picture here, and what’s really at stake. Since most Americans rely on the mainstream media for their news you are going up against an audience that doesn’t think for itself anymore. They’ve never heard of or read Howard Zinn or Noam Chomsky or watched Democracy Now. You’ve got a lot of educating to do. Corporate media has has been manufacturing consent for generations. To undo that will take a great effort. I encourage you to speak out and I admire your sincerity.
Greg

95 AoD November 8, 2012 at 12:22 AM

It’s funny how the public is in an uproar about the companies opinion on gay marriage, but still purchase fuel that comes from a country that executes anyone who is engages in a same sex relationship.

96 Happy One November 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Camping out to get lousy fast food. What is the world coming to?

97 AoD November 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Damn, my grammar was horrible on that last statement.

98 But My Delicious Homophobic Chicken! NOM NOM NOM! November 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM

At least we now have a convenient way of telling who in Concord would sell out their next door neighbors’ civil rights for as little as a piece of fast food chicken. I wish I was amazed at how spineless people in this city are, that they would rationalize hate group funding for the sake of fast food chicken hut #5,459.

Keep wearing your ignorance as a badge of honor, mouth breathers. Ten years from now it will help me point out to my children who was on the wrong side of history, when their history class discusses the homosexual community’s brutal struggle for equality.

99 Hormones? November 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I would be more concerned about the HORMONES in your chicken, Genetically Modified potatoes and other chemical derived ingredients.

I’m beginning to understand why America is plagued with obesity, diabetes, high cholesterol, heart disease.
Early onset puberty.

I’m sure the chickens aren’t exactly organic or free range living. :(

100 Report of policy change November 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Report of policy change

“In September 2012, The Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA) announced that Chick-fil-A has “ceased donating to organizations that promote discrimination, specifically against LGBT civil rights.” Chick-fil-A officials did state in an internal document that they “will treat every person equally, regardless of sexual orientation.” In a letter from Chick-fil-A’s Senior Director of Real Estate, the company states, “The WinShape Foundations is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.”

“According to Chicago Alderman Proco “Joe” Moreno, Chick-fil-A has a statement of respect for all people regardless of sexual orientation in an internal document called Chick-fil-A: Who We Are and has promised that its not-for-profit arm, WinShape, “is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas.”.A document released by Chick-fil-A on September 20, 2012 does not mention any organizations opposed to same-sex marriage as being part of Chick-fil-A’s donation base. WinShape Marriage will continue to be supported financially, with a stated focus on couple retreats to strengthen marriages.

Chick-fil-A withdrew their participation, acknowledged their errors and adjusted their corporate policy for charitable contributions.

What comes next?

101 WithOut Hesitation November 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Looking forward to grabbing my chicken sandwich on Thursday! I’m actually thankful for the protests since they bring endless amounts of attention to Chick-fil-A and provide them with more business! Bring it on!!

102 KooKooKaChoo November 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Free anything – especially food is a blessing in this ObamaEconomy.
May the swishers enjoy their handspun peach shakes.

103 KooKooKaChoo November 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM

@Scooter

Why the hate bro?

104 Kenji November 8, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I support marriage equality, but why the protests against Chick-Fil-A at this point? Haven’t they already promised not to donate to political causes in the future?

(Of course they have a right to donate to whatever they want, just as other private citizens have a right to protest such donations. These rights are violated only when government power is used to prevent their exercise.)

105 MO November 8, 2012 at 7:02 AM

THIS IS CFA’S BEST ADVERTISING…

Here is an interesting article re: Free Speech and whether Corporations are the same as Persons when applied to Free Speech http://www.salon.com/2012/07/30/free_speech_and_donations/

Freedom of speech must apply to all
For the Monitor
Monday, August 6, 2012
I would like to discuss recent events unfolding in Massachusetts regarding Chick-fil-A. Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, in an open letter published on the city’s Facebook page, has vowed to block any Chick-fil-A opening along the Freedom Trail. While the mayor has recently revised his statement to acknowledge there is little he can actually do to accomplish this goal, I still find his actions disturbing.

I am a firm believer that marriage is for everybody, and I dislike the donations put forth by the company’s CEO. But to threaten legal action (regardless of how empty the threat may be) against a company for the owner’s beliefs seems to be the savage hypocrisy we should fight against in a free and just society, not celebrate.

Freedom of speech should apply to all, not just those with whom we agree. I hope the residents of Concord, who have shown extraordinary tolerance and kindness, will join me in rejecting Menino’s argument. After all, if we are unwilling to protect the speech of a group we dislike, then we don’t support freedom. We just support the idea of it.

If you don’t like the way Cathy donates, don’t eat there. If you agree with him, eat there. We all have our own opinions about everything…and we are entitled to them…that is wonderful. We are so lucky to live in the USA.

I’m okay and you’re okay.

106 Marcus Aurelius November 8, 2012 at 7:32 AM

The owners have probably worked very hard to be able to open this restaurant & it is a shame they have to deal with protests on their big day. This is just a restaurant people. Leave the poor owners alone. It is hard enough to succeed.

As for Chick-Fil-A’s donations to “hate groups”, Focus on the Family is a Christian organization that provides support to Christian families. One of their core beliefs is “all people are of infinite value.” No “hate” there.

It is not hate just because someone doesn’t think just like you.

107 Toni November 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Do all of you believe that this protest is wonderful, support my right not to shop @ stores that contribute to places like Planned parenthood? And should all who believe that gay marriage is sin, boycott Disneyland because they have Gay Day? I can’t imagine that my rights to protest in that way wouldn’t be met with derision. I don’t choose to boycott Disneyland, but because I believe a certain way doesn’t make me a “hater.” And, what difference is it to you if people want to camp out for free food, or for laptops on Black Friday? How does that hurt anybody? Answer: it doesn’t. To all those decrying it, here’s what you do…you don’t camp out. The thought police are out in force. May the trash talk begin. Touché.

108 Sunfish November 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I’m with you, Scooter, I will not be supporting Chic-fil-a either. Too much controversy.

109 Scooter November 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

@KooKooKaChoo……I have no hate…..and you’re comment about “May the swishers enjoy…” shows what a bigot you are.

For the record, I don’t “swish”…you would never know I was gay if you met me. You are simply promoting hateful steroetypes and bigotry that are very ugly qualities in a human being.

110 Advertisement November 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM

This much publicity would be expensive….gotta try now
This is such a funny, sad blog sometimes
making major issues over minor issues
go be nice to someone today…drive courteously…that would be a good use of energy!!!

111 Tired of it all November 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I am tired of the gays calling all of us haters for not agreeing with there lifestyle choice, Yes it is a lifestyle choice no matter how you want to call it. The true haters seem to be them for the anger and actions they show by trying to protest our right to express our views. I am slowly becoming a hater, but more for the reason of them trying to block my freedom to express my views and support what i believe in. Its also amazes me that they have to shove it in everyones face they are gay. I certainly dont go around telling everyone what my sexual preferencs is.

112 Freaks November 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Damn freaks got nothing better to do than to force people, by government decree, to accept their illicit behavior.

No way in hell will I accept a freak as legitimate anything. Freaks sicken me.

113 But My Delicious Homophobic Chicken! NOM NOM NOM! November 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM

@Tired of it All

Most non-brain dead Americans will protect and understand your freedom of speech. Freedom of Speech, however, does not equal freedom from responsibility of your speech, freedom from response from your speech and freedom from having to own what you say.

You want to spew hate speech in this country, that’s fine. It’s your right and I’ll defend it. That doesn’t, however, mean that those words don’t have an owner, don’t represent you, don’t have the ability to expose you as an ugly human being and shield you from response.

You’re angry, but in the grand scheme of the issue, you’re conveniently twisting and forming a victim complex on a platform of convenience and privilege. As much as you want to believe you are an underdog in this situation, you’re not. Your right to be treated with the same dignity and respect as the average heterosexual in our society isn’t under constant attack. We don’t have fast food chicken franchises that are known to donate cash to groups that have an anti-heterosexual civil rights agenda for you to feel like you have a legitimate reason to be angry.

114 yolo November 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

oh my gosh. the ceo made a remark about gays…i think im not gonna eat there now. lmfao this is so funny to see all the butt-hurt homo’s get all mad over this. get over yourself crybabies

115 mist November 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Maybe Christians should protest against ben and jerrys ice cream

116 Pete November 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

“We don’t have fast food chicken franchises that are known to donate cash to groups that have an anti-heterosexual civil rights agenda”

117 Starfish November 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I think I will have some KFH tonight. Ketucky Fried Home chicken :-) Oh no, I almost forgot…….this will be for tomorrow night.

118 Nice Nancy November 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Walmart donated $300,000 to the Obama campaign. I guess I won’t be shopping Walmart anymore.

119 Anon November 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM

People have the right to their opinion, even if its unpopular. People should also have the right to voice their unpopular opinion with out being bullied by liberals. Come to think of it, that’s exactly what most democrats are. I remember all of the crap about prop 8 and when people found that certain other companies and people were donating to “yes on 30″ campaigns, homes and businesses got vandalized, and people got threatened. Bunch of liberal, democratic bullies!!!

120 iscoffy November 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

No one is stopping the owners of Chick-Fil-A from saying what they want or donating to what they want. Freedom of speech doesn’t mean that you get to say whatever you want and no one can respond to it, for heaven’s sake.

121 Anon November 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Of course people have the right to respond. But they don’t have the right to bully as has been done in the past…

122 ChampagneKitty November 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I’m just going to choose not to eat there.

123 SPARTAN DAD November 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM

BUNCH OF FAT BODIES CAMPING OUT FOR FREE FOOD. THEY SHOULD ASK HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE ARE ON UNEMPLOYMENT WHAT A JOKE PEOPLE HAVE BECOME

124 But My Delicious Homophobic Chicken! NOM NOM NOM! November 8, 2012 at 11:27 AM

@Pete

“Perhaps not, but we do have high-tech companies, grocery chains, etc. that donate cash to groups that promote a pro-homosexual lifestyle agenda.”

I await your hilariously flawed attempt to explain how funding pro civil rights and equality is on the same moral level as funding anti civil rights agendas. Be sure to tell us how American and patriotic you are, how you’re for the very American philosophies of freedom of speech and equality for all, just in case your explanation doesn’t contain enough hypocrisy.

Bonus points if you can also convince us that an Orange and an Apple are the same thing.

Enjoy your thirty pieces of silver worth of chicken though!

125 Tired of it all November 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

But My Delicious Homophobic Chicken! NOM NOM NOM
(You’re angry, but in the grand scheme of the issue, you’re conveniently twisting and forming a victim complex on a platform of convenience and privilege. As much as you want to believe you are an underdog in this situation)
Sounds familure.
We are tired of being forced to accept the gay life style flat and simple.
Majority of Californians put up with it but more is damanded and we are tired of it.

126 Jeff November 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM

@ Schmee

No, AMERICA lost. Get it straight.

127 BreakingJen November 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Why is that any posts related to immigration or homosexuailty seems to bring all of the conservative whack jobs out of the wood works in CoCo County? It’s as if they are literally sticking their fingers in their ears and going ‘naw naw naw I can’t hear you!!” when it’s been calmly and clearly explained this has nothing to do with free speech. It’s like people would rather be ignorant, uneducated and filled with hate instead of maybe listening for a minute. And if you feel like people are judging you for your stance on hating anyone who is gay and believing it’s a ‘life style’ choice, well maybe you should wonder why. If the common denominator in all of these conflicts if you, maybe YOU are the problem. Why don’t you tell the 13 year old boy who is gay why you believe he doesn’t deserve his rights as a citizen and why you deem him less of a person. Bigotry and ignorance are WAY more prevalent in this area than I thought, how sad.

128 But My Delicious Homophobic Chicken! NOM NOM NOM! November 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

@Tired of it

Sounds familiar how?

The only thing you are being forced to accept is that it is morally repugnant to treat other human beings as second class, especially based off of race, sex, religion and sexual orientation.

Feeling threatened and needing to defend yourself from the scary homosexual culture and life style is as cartoonishly ignorant as trying to defend yourself from being exposed to a racial culture.

If anti-same sex supporters have anything to be angry about, it’s that you’ve signed up for the wrong side of history. For whatever repressed issues you have with homosexuality, you chose the viewpoint of the bigoted villain in a Saturday Morning cartoon. Either too stubborn and egotistical to suddenly have to change your tune…too spineless to have a different opinion from your knuckle dragging brood…or too genuinely vile as a human being to see the flaw in your life perspective.

129 Huh? November 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Wow. Looks like the liberals have struck a nerve. At leas it got ya thinkin!

130 Jeff November 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

BreakingJen – hate to break it to you, but you are just as guilty of bigotry and ignorance from the stance you represented above.

It’s a personal choice – you choose how you want to live. That’s what America affords you the right to do. If you want to be gay – fine. If you don’t – fine. If you want to support a cause you believe in that I don’t – fine.

It’s about tolerance. Being tolerant of OTHERS opinions and accepting that we sometimes disagree. Being ok with that disagreement and focusing on bettering our OWN lives instead of “making people fall in line with our beliefs”.

The problem is that people have forgotten that tolerance means we don’t have to agree.

131 BreakingJen November 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM

@ Jeff,

The fact you think people choose to be gay is the exact reason your argument is rubbish. It’s not that you want to choose to disagree with the beliefs of gay citizens that makes your stance bigoted. Its the fact that equal rights are not given and there are organizations who literally only work to ensure equal rights are not given. THAT is the specific issue here. I’m fine if you choose to fill your heart with hate and judgement, it really doesn’t impact me in any way. I even have family members who feel liek you do and I don’t try to convince them they are wrong. But I will stand up and call out anyone who tries to take rights away from an entire segment of our country because of who they are attracted to.

132 Anonymous November 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

My hate and judgement? Really?

Am I not the one saying that it’s FINE for people to live how they want? Hmmm. Perhaps you ought to read what I said. This issue is not about taking away rights – in fact, that’s what YOU are doing by trying to censor those who don’t agree with you. Is that not a violation of the 1st amendment?

To me, if someone is gay/lesbian/bi – it IS a personal choice. For you or others, it may not be – that’s MY OPINION. And you have no business trampling on my opinion. I don’t berate you for yours….because I believe it’s your right to have one, and I don’t care to try and change your mind.

it’s also the Chick-Fil-A’s owners CHOICE to support what he wants, and yes, it’s your right to protest. But wouldn’t your time be better spent working on something that benefits gay rights, instead of trying to change someone’s personal opinions? One is an uphill, losing battle, and the other helps your cause. I’m tired of people friggin complaining. I’d rather see people do productive work with their OWN lives, and stay the hell out of mine. Get it?

I guess it’s your choice how to feel, Jen.. I think the whole thing is astinine, but fascinating as it pertains to the intolerance of my fellow man. Flame on if you want, but bottom line is that I do not care what people think – I will eat there because I LIKE THE FOOD, not because of someone’s right to protest and not because of their choices.

So – since you stated “But I will stand up and call out anyone who tries to take rights away from an entire segment of our country because of who they are attracted to” – does that mean you support my right to keep and bear arms as well? Just curious if there’s a bit of a double standard that’s being applied.

133 Jeff November 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM

By the way, I posted as anonymous mistakenly. The post 133 is from me, Breaking Jen. Would love to continue this discussion. I think passionate arguments are good, but only when two people can agree that they don’t HAVE to see things the same way.

134 iscoffy November 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I never fail to be amazed by the “you are intolerant of my intolerance, so there!” argument.

When money from the chicken sandwich you buy could well go toward not only preventing other citizens from obtaining equal rights but also eroding the rights they have managed to win so far, I don’t see how it’s intolerance to point out that fact. If you really don’t think that gay people should obtain more rights or have the ones they currently have, I guess there’s not much more to say than enjoy your sandwich, but this red herring of “free speech” and cries of “intolerance” at people who don’t want their money to go toward these causes is ridiculous.

I also love the straw man that people should be doing something else with their time, or that unless people analyze every purchase, they are just lame and it’s all useless and therefore they should be doing something “more important” and shouldn’t bother. It’s not impossible to care about and participate in multiple causes, and just because a person can’t know everything about every purchase doesn’t mean they shouldn’t make informed choices when they can.

135 BreakingJen November 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

@ Jeff

I do agree that passionate arguments are great, and I definitely am not trying to convince you that my beliefs are what you must follow. I just can’t be ok with a company donating funds to groups who actively work to ensure equal rights are not granted. This isn’t a free speech issue to me, the CEO is fine to have his opinion. But I also have a right as a consumer to use the only power I have (my dollars) to make a tiny difference. To me this isn’t just food, it isn’t about not eating at a restaurant because I disagree with the owners opinion. It’s their actions, and I have a right to use my actions and dollars to show my opinion. You may not believe that boycotting or protesting make a difference, but I just wouldn’t be ok giving any profits of my earned income to them. But I can say that I absolutely disagree with any politicians jumping on this and trying to keep stores from opening in their area, that is a totally different thing and in my opinion crossing the line of what’s acceptable.

To answer your question about the right to bear arms, I’m definitely not someone who actively works to take away this right. But I’m not 100% sure what my personal stance on it is. This is how far my opinion has come on this so far in my life (I fully expect it to be a growing stance that may shift as I go through life), owning weapons is something that should definitely be a freedom. It makes no sense why the government should hve any right to tell citizens they aren’t allowed to. However, I do have issues with automatic and semi-automatic weapons on our streets, but I’m not a believer in adding more government regulations simply because I don’t see the value in a weapon. I didn’t grow up around guns so the ownership of one is pretty foreign to me, this may explain my stance.

136 Jeff November 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Fair enough, breaking Jen. I wasn’t saying that I oppose your right to spend money how you feel, to protest, or to disagree. I just think that we as a society tend to spend a ton of time complaining rather than doing. It’s nice to have a dialogue instead of an argument. At the end of the day, we could all be doing so much more just by recognizing and appreciating each others differences, and focusing on what’s important in our own lives, and working to further our own interests instead of restricting others for theirs. However – I get your passion.

The right to bear arms – heck, that was a throw in just to test the waters LOL. California is the ones restricting my rights, and I’ve been berated numerous times for my opinions about that. However, in the legal arena, per the Constitution my view is absolutely correct – the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

People don’t have to agree with me on whether or not I should carry a firearm for me to be able to exercise my right. Some people, like yourself, don’t have the experience with them TO carry them safely and properly. But because some people don’t like them – it doesn’t trump my right. I’m a safe and sane owner of firearms, and I use them to hunt and for self defense only. I prefer to be in a situation to save myself if that criminal breaks down my door and threatens my life.

However – The parallel I was drawing was that people do try and restrict my right to bear arms here in California (which is a violation of our 2nd amendment rights), and that’s exactly what I feel people do with Chick-Fil-A – they use THEIR right to freedom of speech to oppress someone else’s right to freedom of speech. One should not trump the other. When you find room to talk about it, still disagree, and be ok with the other person having their own choices – that is true tolerance. Oppression will never be the answer, but tolerance of our differences is the answer.

I think a lot of people get confused that tolerance means we all have to agree on the same path. That will never happen…

Right on for being a positive person, and kudos to you for taking a stand in your life. I appreciate the dialogue.

137 Toni November 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM

@iscoffy and breaking Jen, Both of you do have the same rights with regard to marriage, as heterosexuals. You can marry, but you cannot marry someone of the same gender. Despite the voters TWICE passing an amendment and a law, the gays took it to court, where the will of the people was overturned. And, please show me in the Constitution where the right of marriage for human is a civil right. Please don’t equate gayness with thr black struggle for civil rights. As Jeff said, we disagree. So what? I agree that you can boycott anybody you want, but people who believe that homosexuality is a chosen lifestyle, and a wrong one, have a right to their world view, as well. I think that idiots like the Westboro crowd, or the dopes who were picketing against gays @ Chik-fil-A today are absolute knuckleheads. But, I also think that signs reading “Chicken shouldn’t taste like hate” on display today, are equally ridiculous. Why do you assume that people are “haters (such a tired word)” merely because they believe that the gay lifestyle is wrong? Isn’t it because we disagree with you, and our firmly-held beliefs can’t be changed no matter how much you try? People still hold to unalterable principles.

138 Scooter November 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

So Tony and anyone else who thinks being gay is a choice, or a ‘lifestyle’….

So when did you decide to live a heterosexual lifestyle? Because thats a choice, right? You actually have feelings inside you that you are attracted to people of the same sex, but you simply ‘decided’ to live a ‘straight lifestyle’, right?

So to anyone who thinks I made a choice to be gay, I ask you, when did you choose to be straight?

139 iscoffy November 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Why, Orson Scott Card, is that you?

People can believe whatever they want, but when they are actively trying to deny people rights or remove the rights they have, believe me, not everyone is going to sit back because it’s “just” a difference of opinion.

Also, you might be interested to know that one doesn’t have to be gay to support gay equality.

140 @ Scooter November 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM

#139 –
We are born as who we are. Some are gay, straight or have a propensity for drug / alcohol addiction or any number of other behaviors including an attraction to children.
The “choice” is in what we do about the behavior, whether gay or straight or whatever.
No judgement here, just an opinion.

141 Mr. Magee November 9, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Scooter:
There was no decision. There was no choice. It was an act of being.

I was nine years old reading the comic paper. I got turned on by the woman sitting on the speedboat in a bathing suit. I kept that newspaper page for three months.

If it was so for you, and you were also selected so young, my heart breaks for your suffering, your secret life, and all you have endured.

Otherwise you have lived well in this age, this country, and this state.

When the President was born in 1961, his parents could not be married in nearly 12 states where mixed race marriages were illegal. His father could not sit in the front of the bus, eat at the Woolworth counter, had to use the “colored” toilet, drink from the “colored fountain”, attend the “colored” public school, anywhere in the Deep South.

President Lyndon Baines Johnson changed all that, yet racial prejudice persists along with it’s companion, hysterical rants and raging.

Against this, our President, and his family, bravely accepted the proposition that there might be a desegregated White House. That success and the great accomplishments of this Administration have provoked the enemies of “equality” to make an oath to limit this Presidency to one term. They failed. They will continue to fail, because these people are a threat to all of us. Yet the President protects their right to express this hate.

You have seen the Promised Land.

You must just live long enough to walk into it, married to your partner.

142 Anon November 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM

A lot of you seem to be claiming that Chick-Fil-A is not treating everyone with dignity and respect. I have not heard of any instances where that has happened. Did I miss something? So the guy doesn’t agree with same sex marriage. As a human being, isn’t he entitled to his opinion as all of us are entitled to ours? It’s not like he forbid gay people in his restaurant or refused to serve them, he just doesn’t agree with you. Is that so terrible?

143 Really? November 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Anon 143, the owner gives copious amounts of money to groups that fan the flames of hate and homophobia. I find that distasteful, and will not spend my money to help him do such horrible things. Simple as that.

144 The Truth November 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

@ Really? #144 –
Of course you have personally verified your claims right. You don’t want to appear like another of those ignorant assholes. Simple as that.

145 Really? November 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM

The Truth 145, since I’m not an ignorant asshole, of course I verified. It’s easy to find who gives what kind of money to which charities. Oh, and the owner admits to giving money to groups that support homophobia and hatred of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons. Verified.

You, of course, can do your own homework. I’ve done mine. You don’t want to look like a homophobic ignorant asshat, do you?

146 SG November 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I really hope that nobody believes that if you eat at CFA that you are supporting hate. I’m pro traditional marriage but have gay friends. My gay friends respect my opinion. They don’t ever call me a “hater” .

147 Dr Jellyfinger November 10, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I was in the neighborhood & decided to stop in & try them out. No way Jose! The parking lot was full! Chic-fil-A was mobbed with customers. I think all the publicity has been great for them.

148 The Truth November 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

@ Really? #146 –
…..”of course I verified. It’s easy to find who gives what kind of money to which charities.”
Enlighten us will you, just how did YOU do that?
Sorry to disappoint but I’m not homophobic. I really don’t care who you bugger.