The Claycord Online Museum – Holbrook Elementary School in Concord

November 6, 2012 14:00 pm · 16 comments

Thanks to Juanita for these old photos and newspaper clippings from Holbrook Elementary School in Concord, which is now closed.

Does anybody out there remember Holbrook Elementary when it looked like it does in the pictures shown above?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items.

{ 16 comments }

1 kilo November 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Cool photos. The CPD cop in the bottom left photo looks like then-Lieutenant Bob Bahl.

2 Anon November 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Those first two pictures are gorgeous. Interesting there are 35 desks in the classroom. About what the kids have these days too. If only the discipline was as strict.

3 Mad Mom November 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM

My favorite are the cars in the parking lot. Some of my best memories are from that school. (But not that far back!)
Thanks Princess ;D

4 Norcon12 November 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Talk about a flash from the past. I did not attend Holbrook but that class room is exactly how the class rooms at Parkmead Elementary were in the late 1960′s-early 1970′s. The exact style lights, clock, flag pole holder (both U.S. and State) and the desks. I remember when you lifted up your desk top, there was a small metal plate; mounted on the underside of the desk top. The plate read “Manufactured by the California State Correction Facility at Folsom”. Yes, when you are a kid, you thought it was so cool that Jesse James build your desk in prison. Thanks Juanita.

5 HOT!!! November 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Love the sexy glasses on the gal in the black sweater. :)

6 Holbrookian November 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

In 1974, Governor Ronald Reagan attended the Holbrook Elementary Great Snail Race. I have photographs.

7 Steve Hart November 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I went there from ’68 – ’72.

8 Becky November 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I do remember that school. I did attend it in K-2. Then they switched the boundries and went to Concord Elementary (now Olympic). I will have to scan the class pictures that I have of Holbrook Elem.

9 Ms. Mom November 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Too Bad the district decided to close this fabulous school 2 yrs ago. It is a REAL piece of history in Concord. It was a real hi achieving school. It even made CA Distinguished School status then they closed it due to budget cuts. Now the Holbrook Neighborhood does not have a walking distance school. My kids both went there and the teachers and programs- math, reading and lifeskills impressed high standards upon them.

10 Chester E. Kitty November 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Life was a lot better back in those days!!! Love the pics! I went to Holbrook for summer school one year. I went to Crawford Village, which is also closed. Anyone have pics of that school?

11 Robin Gibson November 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I went to holbrook from 1965-1970 My sister went from 1962-1970. The principal at the time was Mr. Reasoner

12 lemon November 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Is that Barney Fife? Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

13 Feckin Irish Mouse November 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Lemon – when I first glanced at the picture of the cop I thought it was Phil Silvers………….

14 Nick Costa November 7, 2012 at 4:58 AM

I attended K-2 at Holbrook in the mid 80′s. RIP Mrs. Froinz.

15 rickanater November 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I went from 1962 to 1964 then got transfered to Concord Elem. when they re-drew the boundries. I remember when I was in the 2nd grade, a bunch of us boys decided to make a big dust cloud in the baseball in field. Some teachers caught us and sent us to principal’s office and we each got a swat with a wooden paddle. It didn’t hurt, but it scared the hell out of us.

16 John Locker November 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM

These are memories for me. Attended from 1960 – 1966. I sat in those same desks. In the classroom photo, the front door is to the right, the heater and wall of windows is to the left, and the counter with bulletin board is behind the photograher. In the outside shot, you can see the “farmer’s field” in the distance. It was made into houses in the mid-60′s. Very cool. Thanks.