Cancelled Drives Affecting Red Cross Blood Supply Throughout the Country

October 31, 2012 10:30 am · 12 comments

The American Red Cross reports this morning that Hurricane Sandy has forced the cancellation of approximately 300 American Red Cross blood drives in 14 states along the East Coast, resulting in a shortfall of more than 9,000 blood and platelet thus far. That number is expected to go up as the storm continues on its path, with more areas affected by power outages and flooding.

All eligible donors in unaffected parts of the country are encouraged to roll up a sleeve and give blood or platelets.

“The Red Cross is urging immediate blood and platelet donations in areas unaffected by this storm,” said Jared Schultzman, Communications Manager, of the Red Cross Northern California Blood Services Region. “While Sandy will affect the number of people available to donate, hospital patients still need blood and platelets despite the weather.”

All blood types are needed to ensure an adequate blood supply is available during a disaster, especially type O positive, O negative, A negative or B negative blood. Call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or for more information. A blood donor card or driver’s license, or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.

1 ChampagneKitty October 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM

There is a blood drive going on today 10/31 from 11:30am-6:30pm, tomorrow 11/1 11:30am-6:30pm and Fri. 11/2 7:30am-2:30pm at the Contra Costa Blood Donation Center 140 Gregory Lane in Pleasant Hill.

2 Catgirl October 31, 2012 at 11:28 AM

If I hadn’t caught my daughter’s cold I’d donate. :(
Do they still have the rule of no donations for a year after getting a tattoo?

3 Howard K Mullins III October 31, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Everyone should give a pint.

4 ChampagneKitty October 31, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Wait 12 months after a tattoo if the tattoo was applied in a state that does not regulate tattoo facilities. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis.

Acceptable if the tattoo was applied by a state-regulated entity using sterile needles and ink that is not reused. There are 32 states that currently regulate tattoo facilities. You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation.

5 Catgirl October 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Thanks ChampagneKitty. :)
Even if it was okay, they still won’t take me in the next few days b/c I’m sick. Maybe next week I will try. Thanks again for the info.

6 manythanks! October 31, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Hey…THANKS for posting this! Hadn’t thought about the need until I saw the post. Will go down today to give as much as they’ll take. :) Hope others will do the same!

7 ChampagneKitty October 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Catgirl, you are right. They will want you to wait until you feel better. I hope your cold clears up soon!

8 LinzerTorte October 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Thanks ChampagneKitty! I called right after I saw your post and I’m going in tomorrow at 4:15! :)

9 Dorothy October 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM

They have such a hard time finding a spot to take blood from me that they won’t let me even try to give anymore. I used to give a few times a year and even reached the 10 gallon mark. I really do wish I could still donate.

10 ChampagneKitty October 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Awesome, LinzerTorte! I’m sure the Red Cross will be very appreciative!

11 reallllly? October 31, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Tried to go this afternoon. People with appointments had been waiting 45 minutes. They said it would be at least a 50-60 min. wait. Think I’ll go another time. Good thing is it looks like they’re getting lots of blood to send.

12 lexicon November 1, 2012 at 6:03 AM

I wish I could still donate. Too many trips to Europe during the mad cow years.