POA -vs- EDI – Anti-Birsan Mailer Arrives in Mailboxes Throughout Claycord

October 27, 2012 21:00 pm · 283 comments

It’s the talk of the town right now, and if you’ve read your snail mail today, then we’re sure you’ve seen it.

Here’s a little background. Concord resident Ed Birsan is running for one of the two open seats on the Concord City Council, and he’s not being endorsed by the Concord Police Officers Association (POA).

The POA sent out a mailer saying Birsan, who claims to be a Concord small business owner, actually registered his business in San Francisco, and not Concord. They also say he is misleading the public by listing his name on the ballot as “Ed Birsan”, when his full name is Edi Ersalesi Birsan.

Ed Birsan, who also goes by his real name, Edi, declined to comment, but did email his supporters, saying the San Francisco address listed in the flyer is where his treasurer lives. He also stated that he does in fact have a Concord Business License, and provided a copy to Claycord.com (pictured below). Birsan also lives in Concord, according to his website, www.EdiBirsan.com, and his business license.

The Concord POA was contacted regarding the controversial mailer, which is also the first real “hit piece” of the local election.

The POA issued the following statement to Claycord.com.

The important issue for voters to know is this: Ed Birsan, Edi Birsan, Edi Ersalesi Birsan or whomever he is calling himself at the time, is not what he says he is. He purports to be a ‘Concord Business Owner’ on the election ballot, which is misleading to the voters. Mr. Birsan’s business is officially registered with the Secretary of State at 584 Castro Street in San Francisco.

See below from the Secretary of State’s website online as viewed today, October 26, 2012:

Entity Name: E.D.I., INC.

Entity Number: C2170949

Date Filed: 07/22/1999

Status: ACTIVE

Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA

Entity Address: 584 CASTRO ST #514

Entity City, State, Zip: SAN FRANCISCO CA 94114

Birsan says he plans to send out a mailer next week responding to the claim by the Concord POA.

The anti-Birsan mailer states it was not authorized by a candidate or a committee controlled by a candidate. So in other words, the candidates who signed the fair campaign pledge act earlier this year did not approve this mailer.

201 Neutral Observer October 28, 2012 at 6:01 AM

Don’t live in Concord, but this flyer is not racist. That’s stretching it. It IS petty, ill conceived, and lacking tact or much of a point, but racist? Hardly.

202 OhGoodGravy October 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM

@200, The actual business license for EDI corporation is reprinted above as part of the Mayor’s article. It is labeled BUSINESS LICENSE! Nothing about Ed Birsan is like the insulting adjectives you keep repeating. Your faux-innocent slurge is not working.

203 They all do it October 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Politics are ugly. Period. While I don’t necessarily agree with the flyer, Birsan plays the game just like the others.

While Birsan’s “community outreach” is commendable, it would be a bit more believable if he does so without having to make a “photo op” for the campaign mailers. Remember, “real heroes don’t brag.”

I read the democratic mailer put out by Birsan and Kumar. I know several of the candidates and Birsan was less than forthcoming (to put it nicely) about their qualifications and experience. Birsan also chose some very unflattering photos of some of the other candidates. There are also several misstatements in the flyer. which are meant to dissuade your vote.

Again, this crap is nothing new, but remember, Edi is just like the rest of them. Welcome to the political world! And yes, Edi, is a politician.

204 Dear@babs October 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Give it a rest . He lives in Concord and he’s a business man. The fact that there is no fictious business license doesn’t mean squat. Totally different issue. This is one of the better attempts to slander the guy, who I dont know anything about and assume is not bought and paid for by the POA and the garbage company. Something new in Concord.

205 Anon October 28, 2012 at 8:21 AM

184 you hit the nail on the head. People of Concord please wake up and vote.

206 Anon Redux October 28, 2012 at 8:21 AM

i am a Republican. I was going to vote for Dan Helix. Not now. I am going to vote for Ed Birsan, and no other candidate.

When Dan Helix was handed the city council position over Ed Birsan in the last election I agreed with the decision, because I believed Ed rambled in the interview and Dan did a better job. But now I see that the City of Concord believes it has its own little mini dictatorship, and I don’t like it.

207 Partisan October 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I always stand behind the Police and Firefighters, except when it comes to the unions that rule them. In this case, Edi wins my vote merely by being the thorn in the Plutocracy’s side. Big money is small places breeds money pigs. CoCo county is filled to the brim with Money Pigs.

I ams so glad the good people of Claycord saw through the photoshopped representation of Mr. Birsan.

208 anon October 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I also remember a list of names of the POA board of directors printed in the comments yesterday. It’s even weirder that it’s gone now. I recognized one of those names from the school daze. Imagine my surprise that it was the name of someone that all the old school chums gossipped about as having joined the Oakland PD and was just loving it. Or was that his twin brother? One things for sure, they were violent little thugs way back when. No one was surprised at their Oakland PD career turn. To think these twirps are running this town is very disturbing. Why were the names erased? Are they now embarassed at being on the Board of Directors of the POA? Are they trying to hide? Deceive?

209 I'm sure Ed changed from Edi.... October 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM

to avoid confusion with legendary terrorist dictator and cannibal Idi Amin Kumar may want to do the same to avoid identification with “Harold and Kumar go to White Castle”

210 Antler October 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM

One hopes that Police Chief Guy Swanger will make a statement concerning this matter…..immediately.

211 Killjoy October 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM

To @Babs at post #200.

If you go to the top of this story, you will see a copy of Ed’s Concord Business License. It’s pretty clear he not only does business in Concord, but he loves the city itself.
He goes to Library book sales. He cleans up litter on the streets, and he cleans up graffiti.
Seriously, who if not this man, would you want trying to help the city of Concord?
I don’t live in Concord, but I do work in Concord.
If I lived there, Ed would certainly get my vote!

212 worth noting... October 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM

worth noting: that the only public response from either POA-endorsed candidate has been: “i didn’t send it out, the POA did”… not “yes, it was inappropriate and offensive”; “i do not stand behind the content”; or “…because of it, i’ll rescind my association and remove the POA-badge graphic down from my website and FB page”… a fairly weak response imho and both candidates as of this morning are still pimping the POA endorsement.

213 anonymous October 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

If you believe in Ed send him a check. He can’t fight the Seeno/Garaventa/POA money alone! I am putting my money where my mouth is and sending a check this week. If he’s willing to fight the powers who have run Concord for so many years, the least I can do is support him financially.

214 Casey October 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Important Message from a Concord Resident – Beware of Policemen Who Distort the Truth. This message is not authorized by a candidate or a committee controlled by a candidate.

215 Anonymous October 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

#197, Yes, they are all active police officers at CPD. There are no retired officers on the POA board.

216 Kona October 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

@200

I think you have made some generalizations about the permit process in Concord. Just think if everyone doing business in Concord from outside the city limits needed a business permit; I don’t think so. He is licensed by the city, he has a current license! A license fee, not tax is determined by a percentage of business income. You state that Mr. Birsan isn’t paying taxes, how do you deduct that?
Finally, twice you had to tell Claycord that you’re not a police officer, what’s up with that

217 Politics are Funny October 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Have you guys seen the funny Fed Ex commercial about politics. Ya gotta laugh at this stuff. All sides do it. It’s politics. I think it’s funny how Ed or Edi puts his signs on top of or in front of the opponents signs. Kind of like he is “dominating” them or being the “guy on top.” Very funny if you ask me.

218 Scoots October 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM

They picked a photo that looks like it’s from the “Megan’s Law” website. That’s dirty pool!

219 Yeah... October 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM

It’s not borderline racist – it’s the regular kind of racist.

The point of the mailer is to make Edi sound foreign and therefore “unAmerican”. If his middle name was “Jake” they never would have claimed he was hiding it. It’s only because he has a foreign and specifically middle-eastern sounding name that they bring it up. So yeah, completely racist.

They get bonus points on the jerkiness scale for bringing up the Castro Street address….super lame….

220 Anonymous October 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Support higher garbage rates.Support developers. Dont vote for Edi. He has a foreign sounding name and a business address in the Castro district and we all know about that.

221 Obama October 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Stand Down. Stand Down! (I love saying those words!). I’m Just glad my buddy, Kumar, got my good side for his posters. Nope. No deceiving there. Nothing to see here. Move along..

222 ChampagneKitty October 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM

to #219: Edi does not put campaign signs where they are not wanted. He gets permission from the property owner first. That is why there aren’t nearly as many of Edi’s signs as those of Helix and McGallian.

to Anon Redux #208: It is no secret that Edi is a Democrat and is active in the party. He is also open-minded and likes to hear different points of view. He actually has friends and supporters who are Republicans or other non-Democrats. So I’m not surprised to hear you’re voting for him and you won’t be the only Republican. :-)

223 J. October 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

E.D.I., Inc. is a Corporation.

Corporations don’t file local F.B.N.S. (Fictitious Business Name Statements); Corporations are already Registered with the Secretary of State (S.O.S.); F.B.N.S. would be redundantly redundant.

Personally, I think Edi should immediately do a change-of-address with the SOS showing a Concord address for EDI, Inc. IMHO, Edi is legally required to have a registered agent with a physical address (no post office box) in the state of incorporation. You cannot act as the registered agent for your business if you only have a post office box or a private mailbox. The registered agent must be available during normal business hours to accept important documents as they are delivered.

The POA piece is a smear, but Edi does not have totally clean hands; but things can be cleaned up in a jiffy.

224 WithOut Hesitation October 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Edi had my vote, Edi still has my vote … Now it’s my only vote.

225 JCM October 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Let us look at the facts:

1.Dan Helix gave this quote regarding the Concord Police Association during a story in the San Francisco Chronicle. “If you can endorse candidates and put them in office, then you can go to them and make certain demands. I think that has happened,” said former mayor and councilman Daniel C. Helix.”

2.Dan Helix’s real name is Daniel, he is not using his full name on the offician ballot.

3. Dan Helix did not put his old age on the official campaign pack sent out by the Contra Costa County Clerk-Recorder. Is is because he doesn’t want people to know he’s so old?He is not being trustworthy.

4. Tim McGallian’s real name is Timothy, he is not using his full name.

5. Did POA check where Tim McGallian “registers” some of his business interests? Are his business associations all in good standing in their “registered” state of Texas?

6. Joseph Higby is the president of the police association. He does not live in Concord. He lives far away from Concord. Why does he have any say in how we vote in Concord?

I am doing more research and will be back soon for more.

226 jtkatec October 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

You go, JCM. Keep it coming

227 Rob October 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

So – the guy has a City of Concord business license – would that not mean that he does business in Concord?

If the City of Concord is issuing business licenses for people doing business in San Francisco – I think San Francisco would have some questions for the City of Concord – wouldn’t they?

228 tiny tim October 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

To all of you who are wondering how the list of POA board members disappeared – – -duh. How do you think? Who has control of the comments?

It doesn’t matter where the officers live and has nothing to do with voting. Higby is the president of the POA board, and he and the other 4 members of the Board control the entire membership.

This is the same group that went to the Council behind the backs of the members to get Captain Downing ousted.

229 CLAYCORD.com October 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM

@Tiny Tim, the list is still there, just look a little harder. And nobody outside of Claycord has control of the comments.

230 RunnerDope October 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

>> @Tiny Tim, the list is still there, just look a little harder.

Post #102.

231 commoncents October 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

@211 – good one!!!!

232 @JCM 227 October 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM

You’re on a roll! Thanks for the time you’re investing so all of us can learn the facts. I’m looking forward to more. BOOOOOOOOOO–HISSSSS POA Board.
P.S. I think Edi’s great!

233 La masa October 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I see Campaine Kitty is on the raise once again and out of her hole. How is it CK in the a%$ of the city manager!

234 Equal Rights October 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Why in the photo does his eyes look like rat?

235 ChampagneKitty October 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM

to La masa: If you’re going to criticize me, make sense first and learn to spell.

236 Screwy Louie October 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

My 10 year old nephew just walked up.
I showed him Edi’s Business License and asked him what city the business is located in.
He looked at it for 3-4 seconds….”Concord”
If the POA needs a fact checker, Kevin needs an after school job.

Police officers that can’t read licenses……Really?!?!?!?!?

237 Atticus Thraxx October 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Cierra la boca La masa! Déjala, no puedes hacerlo. Or something like that.

238 resident October 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

This speaks volumes for the Concord Police Association – you should be ashamed! You couldn’t come up with anything better? You have my vote Ed!

239 Seal October 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Yes Atticus–that makes no sense at all.

240 Anon October 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Makes me wonder how the officers are able to do their job since it involves reading drivers license. I am so dissappointed especially since the majority probably don’t live in Concord.

241 Antler October 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM

SAFETY ALERT!!!
Do NOT try to carve a pumpkin and watch the World Series at the same time ;-)

242 JDK October 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I found this attack piece to be extremely offensive. I know Edi well, and I don’t care one bit what his stepfather’s name was (the name he took to honor the man who raised him) or the fact that the billing for his corporate records go to San Francisco’s Castro district.

I feel that the POA (and their puppet master Mary Jo Rossi) steeped to a new low in Concord politics with this disgusting piece of trash. I found it to be racist, xenophobic, and homophobic.

I have not always agreed with Edi on issues, but he has ALWAYS been wiling to listen and discuss the issues. He has made some enemies because he is honest and speaks his mind, but I would much rather have someone telling me how he thinks and what he plans to do than someone who says one thing and does something entirely different. I do not trust Helix and by extension that causes me to question his “running mate” McGallian.

So if the worst that they could find on Edi is that his business treasurer lives in the Castro and that he has a foreign sounding middle-name, that tells me they are scared. Why not be honest and say the real reason the POA is behind the fliers: Edi can’t be bought.

My vote and financial support are definitely with Edi.

(And yes, I know him as Edi… It’s not like he is ashamed of or has hidden his name from anyone. Truly a stupid reason to attack someone.)

243 Claycord? Really? October 28, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Edi the traffic control freak and his thug mug shot, Kumar and his buddy Harold ganging with Barack Hussain Obama, Daniel the Old Fart or Dan the Man or whatever sandbox Little Timmy wants to play in or whatever Tiny Tim’s Tulips get tip toed…ALL the candidates have warts and none of them deserve the position. OR maybe they do!

I always thought Concord was a step or 2 above the critical thinking baseline. After seeing what “THE MAYOR”, who has to be a repressed self indulgent wanna be, has decided to post for his own political gain and notoriety, this site, it’s moderators and those who have posted should all be ashamed. If the 230 odd posts is representative of Concrod core- then you posters derserve the lower level ego chasers for Concord City Council.

Sure, by nature, politics is subjective and muddy. PAC, SuperFUNDs and wealthy donors have the where with all to excite you emotionally immature
to post hate and predudicial claycord blogs.

Find time to hug your significant other, change your own life, travel abroad, OPEN YOUR EYES CLAYCORD and LIVE. Change happens in an open system, not the closed minds of those who would represent Concord on this site.

244 Antler October 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

OOPS! Sorry for #243. Thought I was over on Whatever.

245 Anon October 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

This certainly backfired on Mary Jo Rossi big time. Can’t ask that the flyers be returned.

246 ClaycordAnon October 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

@POA is a POS The POA has a Facebook page that you can tell then where to go. I defriended the POA because of the hit piece.

247 anonymous October 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Notice how eerily quiet it is on “the dark side”. No comment from Helix, McGallion, or any city council members. No worthwhile comment from the POA or CPD. Are they huddling or are they just hoping it will all go away?

I am curious to see if the Times and TV stations will pick up on this Monday.

248 Ancient Mariner October 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

It’s actually a bad idea for an officer to live in the town where he works.
If you’re in a typical, midwestern-style, town-surrounded-by-farmland community, then you have no choice. But living in this vast conurbation, it’s smart for an officer to live a couple of towns over. A lot of SFPD officers live in Novato, for example.
Two reasons: revenge by those who have a beef against the officer; and neighbours who want the officer to be their personal street security guard (“This guy parks in front of my driveway – you’re a cop, so do something about it!”). In other words, they want free extra police services from their off-duty next-door neighbour.
So it doesn’t bother me that local police officers live out of town. Not a big deal.

249 john hemm October 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

JDK….I agree with you! A lot of good post’s tonight.

250 Feckin Irish Mouse October 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM

#245 – if you don’t like what is on Claycord then get off and don’t read it……….and you are the pot calling the kettle black as you are saying nothing can be accomplished by post on Claycord thus you must not be accomplishing anything…………..IDIOT!!!!!!!!
As for the POA yes the are running scared………Poll numbers a couple of weeks ago for their hand pick candidate Helix and McGallian were not good and they do not have a real lead………….Edi is right there with them………….POA is crapping their tights over this.

251 Mayor? October 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Mayor, are we going to see Birsan’s “hit-piece” he manufactured on the other candidates posted on this blog? Like has been said previously, Birsan’s hands certainly aren’t clean

252 Attention POA October 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

If I were running the POA I would consider manning up and saying “We’re sorry. We made a mistake.” This would be a good idea because this has so back fired and there is a good chance you are going to have a serious enemy on the Council.

Probably the President of the POA ought to offer his resignation. Those things happen when there is a major screw up. Gives the opposition a small victory and a chance to start over.

Note that with the exception of a few lunatics who hate cops, most of the posters were not bad mouthing CPD, but the POA, which looks arrogant.

There is such a thing as pushing your power a little too far. I think the members of the Council will probably make an effort to show they are not under your control and you may not like it. Pesky politicians don’t always stay bought…

253 ChampagneKitty October 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

to Attention POA #254: Thank you for pointing out that all of our revulsion of the POA does not mean we are anti-police, at least for most of us. That’s how I feel. I myself attended Concord P.D.’s Citizens Police Academy earlier this year and got to learn a lot about what the police do and even went on a ride-along. I would recommend the Academy for any citizen who would like to get to know the police better. Most of them are good working people. And I will also say that I like Chief Guy Swanger.
On the other hand, POA president Joe Higby and his cronies…have lost the respect of many people. He needs to a) apologize to an awful lot of people; and b) grow up.

254 anonymous October 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Claycord? Really? #245,

Fortunatly, what you see posted on this site/thread is the voice of the voters. I am thrilled that they are waking up to the snow job they have been fed for the past several years. Taxpayers are sick of the “cabal” running this town and we may be headed for some welcome major changes.

I can’t wait until election day to see if Ed Birsan will be our new city council member.

255 No Excuses October 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Unfortunately I fear that the machine is just too strong, and Edi will come in third in a two man race. If I am wrong, and he gets one seat, he will be little more than a pariah on this inbred – POA/Garaventa/Seeno – board for at least two more years, until even more changes can be made.

256 Anon777 October 29, 2012 at 6:45 AM

No, I did not see this, because I THROW THIS SHIT IN THE TRASH! I don’t read a single mailer item that comes in my mail in regards to the elections. I go in search of the information I want to obtain from the web and I ignore these mailers (which are KILLING OUR TREES) and all TV commercials.

BTW, I had already decided that I would vote for Edi, a lot of this decision is based on what I’ve read/heard from & about Edi through Claycord. He appears to be a very reasonable person, I agree with his views, and reading this story does not change my mind.

Just like Donald Trump’s stupid “major announcement” last week, this trash just means that the other side is running scared this close to the election!

257 Anonymous October 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I wouldn’t worry too much about poster 245 . This is ,sadly , probably some poor soul with mental issues.Notice the different thoughts and attacks put together in a jumble. You can read the post a few times and see dripping hatred , but not much else. She needs some help.

258 anonymous October 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM

@ No Excuses,

I think this is a turning point for Concord. The POA (and whoever’s money is behind this) showed their true colors with this hateful mailer. We now know we can’t trust the POA’s endorsements, although many of us knew this 2 years ago with Leone. Either the voters stand up for Ed Birsan and what the general public really wants, or they will allow the POA/Garaventa/Seeno to retain control. Ed is strong and two years will go quickly. I know I will vote for Ed.

This is what we don’t want to see and could very well happen: If Helix wins he could retire at any time. Then the city council will “appoint ” another candidate of their choice, and you know it will likley be one of their buddies. Even if this happens, I’m still willing to fight for change.

259 Racist October 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

The business question is a legitimate issue. The name thing is racist. Disgusting.

260 mike mac October 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM

VOTE for ED!!!!!

The municipal unions are afraid of him, as they should be.

261 Jim October 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Most of Ed’s plans are ok with me…I thnk he’s off on the development part…WAY OFF as we need more taxes and adding homes certainly does that, by adding families and adding to the sales core…you can’t keep progress out and delaying only helps delay recovery…and Concord needs recovery before it all looks like the monument corridor…Ed seems to have a pretty good beed on everything else…I too was on the fence but want to thank the POA for helping me get over it into Ed’s yard…much appreciated

262 Stater of the Obvious October 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

The PLeasant HIll POA is just as bad. I’m getting bombarded with mailers from their douchebag candidate Ken Carlson, featuring an armed robber in a ski mask…its daytime and the guy has a flashlight too. MORONS!

Carlson wants me to believe that Pleasant HIll is West Oakland and I need to vote for him to keep PH safe. F**K HIM. He just wants a BIG FAT PENSION!!!

VOTE NO ON ALL POA CANDIDATES.

263 Howard K Mullins III October 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

If Edi should win and the rest of the “good ol’ boys club” remains, Edi will be the lone voice of reason on the council. You’ll see a lot of 4-1 votes.

Edi needs to be the crack in the block of the “in crowd” that runs, and ruins, this city.

The City needs more diverse voices than it has now.

264 LorieStories October 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Geeze Mayor, Hate the man that much?

265 Karen October 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Well, it takes a lot of _alls on the POA’S side to write such slander. It’s clearer than ever that Edi Birsan is a big threat to the P.O.A. Police Officers Association, as well to the current city council. I’m a business owner and a resident in the Of Concord, for the past 28 years and from what I have experienced in the past four plus years, is that the P.O.A owns the current and that past city council. Both parties are self serving. They don’t care about the City Of Concord. They serve themselves and not the City of Concord.
Edi Birsan is just the beginning what the City Of Concord needs. I personal know Edi Birsan and he is truly service of above self. I encourage every citizen of Concord to vote for Edi Birsan.
It’s time to shake up and shake out the self serving…

266 Billy October 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Birsan claims to be a demorat. Aren’t they supposed to stand tall with the unions??? I’m confused

267 One Vote for Ed Birsan October 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Remember to cast only ‘one’ Vote for Ed Birsan to increase his chance of winning!

268 Attention POA October 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Did a little count of all the posts. Looks like about three support the POA , six are written by out right loons and the rest blast the POA. Even assuming some people write multiple times, I have never seen a more one sided expression of disgust about an issue on Claycord.

Whats the POA going to do, keep stonewalling, or apologize? We will see how adroit the leadership is. Lots of good will towards the PD going down the drain.

269 CLAYCORD.com October 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

@LorieStories, What?

270 ChampagneKitty October 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

LorieStories, what are you talking about???

271 tiny tim October 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

To “Stater of the Obvious” #264 – Carlson is a motor officer with CPD, not PH.

272 jtkatec October 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I wrote a little email directly to the Concord POA. I so hope I get a response.

273 Nik October 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

What I know as FACT:

I’ve personally known Ed Birsan for 25 years. The only variation of his name used in that time has been Ed vs. Edi. If he chose to only use Birsan, it was a decision made LONG before the glimmer of candidacy.

He has operated a business from his Concord home, where he has lived for that entire 25 years. Although the POA seems slanted against him, he’s worked very hard to retain Concord Police satellite offices that service high crime areas.

He’s been far more involved in this community than most City Council members. Just one of the many examples of his dedication are the countless days he personally spends helping people glean their produce when they’re not able to do it themselves. He’s fought for the wellbeing and economic success of Concord residents for many years, without any the glory that comes with the elected title.

These are things I know as absolute FACT.

274 Longtime Concord Resident October 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

My vote goes to Edi Birsan for his work & concern about the issues in Concord. The POA made a serious mistake with their expensive flyer. George Miller & Susan Bonilla have lost my vote based on their platforms, which are not in the interest of tax paying citizens.

275 Job Creator October 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

for all those of you who have never created a job or a company…

if the formation of your business is as sole proprietor or basic partnership you do not need to register with the state – all you need is a basic biz license from the city or cities in which you conduct business. only if conduct biz under a different name than that of your company are you required to file a fictitious business name with the county.

if you incorporate (C corp, S corp, LLC, LLP, etc.) you must register with the state. the application merely asks for an address that will be of public record – one where official and legal docs can be sent. IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE THE ACTUAL ADDRESS OF THE COMPANY, ANY OF ITS OFFICES OR ITS OWNERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, ETC. in fact most corporations use what is called an agent for service of process – someone whose been contracted by the company to receive and notify the company that something has been received.

Edi has done everything legally required by both the city of concord and the state of CA.

For police personnel to say otherwise is F’ing scary! Glad I moved out of the hood that concord has become.

276 No Excuses October 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Stick this in the POA’s eyes: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg522/cg5222/docs/Copy%20of%20ACEP%20List%20April%202008.pdf

E.D.I., Inc. has for many years been in the business of supplying shipping container(s) that at any given time could be being used and moved around the world. No law says Birsan needs to keep one at home to use his home address as his business address. He can make income from his business while: helping the library, picking fruit, and keeping a close eye on his town—whose real name, by the way, is Todos Santos, but has used the nickname of Concord since about 1900 or so!

277 rich eber October 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM

As a friend and busuiness associate of Edi Birsan, I know him as a decent, honest guy who is worthy of holding public office. Perhaps these are not attributes the POA holds to be valuable as they seem to think that anyone they don’t control is an enemy. Such a notion is right out of the Richard Nixon playbook. Look what it got him? Hopefully such sleeze will not dominate the city council election next week.

278 Ryan October 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM

@ Anon777:

“I THROW THIS S**T IN THE TRASH!”
“I ignore these mailers (which are KILLING OUR TREES)”

If you’re that concerned about the environment, wouldn’t throwing them in the recycling bin instead of the trash make better sense?

279 Terrence October 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I got this flyer. Although I don’t agree with it, I still think Birsan is a goof and a loon and I won’t be voting for him. He may be a good community organizer but that doesn’t make him a good leader (refer to our president)

Kumar also looks like a goof with a campaign poster of him with Obama. Just keepin’ it real.

Stay classy Concord

280 J. October 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Halfway-to-Concord has a lengthy piece today.

281 Ellen October 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I left a voice mail message on the CPOA. I am ashamed of the low life tactics of their mailer. I left my phone number on the message, as well. I will not hide behind any anonimity when it comes to standing up for what is right and pointing a critical finger at what is wrong. I met Edi Birsan over 3 years ago at a senior expo, he was very curious as to what businesses and non-profits were doing for seniors in our community. He was sincerely interested in knowing about what the citizens of Concord needs and wants were. In the last 3 years I have be in the presence of Mr. Birsan 4-5 times, each time he was at a function in the role of a community volunteer. (Never did I see any CPOA members reaching out to the maginalized and neediest of Conocrd’s residents.)
I am furious about what the Concord POA has done. WE pay the salaries of every officer that has supported this negative, mistruth. THEY must be held accountable. I want an appology. NOW

282 Antler October 31, 2012 at 5:18 AM

I hope this thread will continue to be displayed in the side bar to the left of the page. The issue is ongoing, and there has been no retraction and apology by the Police Officer’s Association.

283 SG November 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I’m not sure if it was mentioned but corporations have what is called a “notice of server” address. This is the Corp. Contact address for the IRS, lawsuits, etc. I own an incorporated business in the county. I have a business license in the county. However, if you look up my corporations address it will show that we can be reached in Solano county. This is my accountants address who agreed to handle all tax/legal issues for me.

If the idiots at the POA knew this was common, they wouldn’t have an angle.

Yes on 32 in 2014!