POA -vs- EDI – Anti-Birsan Mailer Arrives in Mailboxes Throughout Claycord

October 27, 2012 21:00 pm · 283 comments

It’s the talk of the town right now, and if you’ve read your snail mail today, then we’re sure you’ve seen it.

Here’s a little background. Concord resident Ed Birsan is running for one of the two open seats on the Concord City Council, and he’s not being endorsed by the Concord Police Officers Association (POA).

The POA sent out a mailer saying Birsan, who claims to be a Concord small business owner, actually registered his business in San Francisco, and not Concord. They also say he is misleading the public by listing his name on the ballot as “Ed Birsan”, when his full name is Edi Ersalesi Birsan.

Ed Birsan, who also goes by his real name, Edi, declined to comment, but did email his supporters, saying the San Francisco address listed in the flyer is where his treasurer lives. He also stated that he does in fact have a Concord Business License, and provided a copy to Claycord.com (pictured below). Birsan also lives in Concord, according to his website, www.EdiBirsan.com, and his business license.

The Concord POA was contacted regarding the controversial mailer, which is also the first real “hit piece” of the local election.

The POA issued the following statement to Claycord.com.

The important issue for voters to know is this: Ed Birsan, Edi Birsan, Edi Ersalesi Birsan or whomever he is calling himself at the time, is not what he says he is. He purports to be a ‘Concord Business Owner’ on the election ballot, which is misleading to the voters. Mr. Birsan’s business is officially registered with the Secretary of State at 584 Castro Street in San Francisco.

See below from the Secretary of State’s website online as viewed today, October 26, 2012:

Entity Name: E.D.I., INC.

Entity Number: C2170949

Date Filed: 07/22/1999

Status: ACTIVE

Jurisdiction: CALIFORNIA

Entity Address: 584 CASTRO ST #514

Entity City, State, Zip: SAN FRANCISCO CA 94114

Birsan says he plans to send out a mailer next week responding to the claim by the Concord POA.

The anti-Birsan mailer states it was not authorized by a candidate or a committee controlled by a candidate. So in other words, the candidates who signed the fair campaign pledge act earlier this year did not approve this mailer.

1 Mayor? October 28, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Mayor, are we going to see Birsan’s “hit-piece” he manufactured on the other candidates posted on this blog? Like has been said previously, Birsan’s hands certainly aren’t clean

2 Attention POA October 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

If I were running the POA I would consider manning up and saying “We’re sorry. We made a mistake.” This would be a good idea because this has so back fired and there is a good chance you are going to have a serious enemy on the Council.

Probably the President of the POA ought to offer his resignation. Those things happen when there is a major screw up. Gives the opposition a small victory and a chance to start over.

Note that with the exception of a few lunatics who hate cops, most of the posters were not bad mouthing CPD, but the POA, which looks arrogant.

There is such a thing as pushing your power a little too far. I think the members of the Council will probably make an effort to show they are not under your control and you may not like it. Pesky politicians don’t always stay bought…

3 ChampagneKitty October 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM

to Attention POA #254: Thank you for pointing out that all of our revulsion of the POA does not mean we are anti-police, at least for most of us. That’s how I feel. I myself attended Concord P.D.’s Citizens Police Academy earlier this year and got to learn a lot about what the police do and even went on a ride-along. I would recommend the Academy for any citizen who would like to get to know the police better. Most of them are good working people. And I will also say that I like Chief Guy Swanger.
On the other hand, POA president Joe Higby and his cronies…have lost the respect of many people. He needs to a) apologize to an awful lot of people; and b) grow up.

4 anonymous October 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Claycord? Really? #245,

Fortunatly, what you see posted on this site/thread is the voice of the voters. I am thrilled that they are waking up to the snow job they have been fed for the past several years. Taxpayers are sick of the “cabal” running this town and we may be headed for some welcome major changes.

I can’t wait until election day to see if Ed Birsan will be our new city council member.

5 No Excuses October 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Unfortunately I fear that the machine is just too strong, and Edi will come in third in a two man race. If I am wrong, and he gets one seat, he will be little more than a pariah on this inbred – POA/Garaventa/Seeno – board for at least two more years, until even more changes can be made.

6 Anon777 October 29, 2012 at 6:45 AM

No, I did not see this, because I THROW THIS SHIT IN THE TRASH! I don’t read a single mailer item that comes in my mail in regards to the elections. I go in search of the information I want to obtain from the web and I ignore these mailers (which are KILLING OUR TREES) and all TV commercials.

BTW, I had already decided that I would vote for Edi, a lot of this decision is based on what I’ve read/heard from & about Edi through Claycord. He appears to be a very reasonable person, I agree with his views, and reading this story does not change my mind.

Just like Donald Trump’s stupid “major announcement” last week, this trash just means that the other side is running scared this close to the election!

7 Anonymous October 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I wouldn’t worry too much about poster 245 . This is ,sadly , probably some poor soul with mental issues.Notice the different thoughts and attacks put together in a jumble. You can read the post a few times and see dripping hatred , but not much else. She needs some help.

8 anonymous October 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM

@ No Excuses,

I think this is a turning point for Concord. The POA (and whoever’s money is behind this) showed their true colors with this hateful mailer. We now know we can’t trust the POA’s endorsements, although many of us knew this 2 years ago with Leone. Either the voters stand up for Ed Birsan and what the general public really wants, or they will allow the POA/Garaventa/Seeno to retain control. Ed is strong and two years will go quickly. I know I will vote for Ed.

This is what we don’t want to see and could very well happen: If Helix wins he could retire at any time. Then the city council will “appoint ” another candidate of their choice, and you know it will likley be one of their buddies. Even if this happens, I’m still willing to fight for change.

9 Racist October 29, 2012 at 8:15 AM

The business question is a legitimate issue. The name thing is racist. Disgusting.

10 mike mac October 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM

VOTE for ED!!!!!

The municipal unions are afraid of him, as they should be.

11 Jim October 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Most of Ed’s plans are ok with me…I thnk he’s off on the development part…WAY OFF as we need more taxes and adding homes certainly does that, by adding families and adding to the sales core…you can’t keep progress out and delaying only helps delay recovery…and Concord needs recovery before it all looks like the monument corridor…Ed seems to have a pretty good beed on everything else…I too was on the fence but want to thank the POA for helping me get over it into Ed’s yard…much appreciated

12 Stater of the Obvious October 29, 2012 at 8:59 AM

The PLeasant HIll POA is just as bad. I’m getting bombarded with mailers from their douchebag candidate Ken Carlson, featuring an armed robber in a ski mask…its daytime and the guy has a flashlight too. MORONS!

Carlson wants me to believe that Pleasant HIll is West Oakland and I need to vote for him to keep PH safe. F**K HIM. He just wants a BIG FAT PENSION!!!

VOTE NO ON ALL POA CANDIDATES.

13 Howard K Mullins III October 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

If Edi should win and the rest of the “good ol’ boys club” remains, Edi will be the lone voice of reason on the council. You’ll see a lot of 4-1 votes.

Edi needs to be the crack in the block of the “in crowd” that runs, and ruins, this city.

The City needs more diverse voices than it has now.

14 LorieStories October 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Geeze Mayor, Hate the man that much?

15 Karen October 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Well, it takes a lot of _alls on the POA’S side to write such slander. It’s clearer than ever that Edi Birsan is a big threat to the P.O.A. Police Officers Association, as well to the current city council. I’m a business owner and a resident in the Of Concord, for the past 28 years and from what I have experienced in the past four plus years, is that the P.O.A owns the current and that past city council. Both parties are self serving. They don’t care about the City Of Concord. They serve themselves and not the City of Concord.
Edi Birsan is just the beginning what the City Of Concord needs. I personal know Edi Birsan and he is truly service of above self. I encourage every citizen of Concord to vote for Edi Birsan.
It’s time to shake up and shake out the self serving…

16 Billy October 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Birsan claims to be a demorat. Aren’t they supposed to stand tall with the unions??? I’m confused

17 One Vote for Ed Birsan October 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Remember to cast only ‘one’ Vote for Ed Birsan to increase his chance of winning!

18 Attention POA October 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Did a little count of all the posts. Looks like about three support the POA , six are written by out right loons and the rest blast the POA. Even assuming some people write multiple times, I have never seen a more one sided expression of disgust about an issue on Claycord.

Whats the POA going to do, keep stonewalling, or apologize? We will see how adroit the leadership is. Lots of good will towards the PD going down the drain.

19 CLAYCORD.com October 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

@LorieStories, What?

20 ChampagneKitty October 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

LorieStories, what are you talking about???

21 tiny tim October 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

To “Stater of the Obvious” #264 – Carlson is a motor officer with CPD, not PH.

22 jtkatec October 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I wrote a little email directly to the Concord POA. I so hope I get a response.

23 Nik October 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

What I know as FACT:

I’ve personally known Ed Birsan for 25 years. The only variation of his name used in that time has been Ed vs. Edi. If he chose to only use Birsan, it was a decision made LONG before the glimmer of candidacy.

He has operated a business from his Concord home, where he has lived for that entire 25 years. Although the POA seems slanted against him, he’s worked very hard to retain Concord Police satellite offices that service high crime areas.

He’s been far more involved in this community than most City Council members. Just one of the many examples of his dedication are the countless days he personally spends helping people glean their produce when they’re not able to do it themselves. He’s fought for the wellbeing and economic success of Concord residents for many years, without any the glory that comes with the elected title.

These are things I know as absolute FACT.

24 Longtime Concord Resident October 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

My vote goes to Edi Birsan for his work & concern about the issues in Concord. The POA made a serious mistake with their expensive flyer. George Miller & Susan Bonilla have lost my vote based on their platforms, which are not in the interest of tax paying citizens.

25 Job Creator October 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

for all those of you who have never created a job or a company…

if the formation of your business is as sole proprietor or basic partnership you do not need to register with the state – all you need is a basic biz license from the city or cities in which you conduct business. only if conduct biz under a different name than that of your company are you required to file a fictitious business name with the county.

if you incorporate (C corp, S corp, LLC, LLP, etc.) you must register with the state. the application merely asks for an address that will be of public record – one where official and legal docs can be sent. IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE THE ACTUAL ADDRESS OF THE COMPANY, ANY OF ITS OFFICES OR ITS OWNERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, ETC. in fact most corporations use what is called an agent for service of process – someone whose been contracted by the company to receive and notify the company that something has been received.

Edi has done everything legally required by both the city of concord and the state of CA.

For police personnel to say otherwise is F’ing scary! Glad I moved out of the hood that concord has become.

26 No Excuses October 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Stick this in the POA’s eyes: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg522/cg5222/docs/Copy%20of%20ACEP%20List%20April%202008.pdf

E.D.I., Inc. has for many years been in the business of supplying shipping container(s) that at any given time could be being used and moved around the world. No law says Birsan needs to keep one at home to use his home address as his business address. He can make income from his business while: helping the library, picking fruit, and keeping a close eye on his town—whose real name, by the way, is Todos Santos, but has used the nickname of Concord since about 1900 or so!

27 rich eber October 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM

As a friend and busuiness associate of Edi Birsan, I know him as a decent, honest guy who is worthy of holding public office. Perhaps these are not attributes the POA holds to be valuable as they seem to think that anyone they don’t control is an enemy. Such a notion is right out of the Richard Nixon playbook. Look what it got him? Hopefully such sleeze will not dominate the city council election next week.

28 Ryan October 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM

@ Anon777:

“I THROW THIS S**T IN THE TRASH!”
“I ignore these mailers (which are KILLING OUR TREES)”

If you’re that concerned about the environment, wouldn’t throwing them in the recycling bin instead of the trash make better sense?

29 Terrence October 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I got this flyer. Although I don’t agree with it, I still think Birsan is a goof and a loon and I won’t be voting for him. He may be a good community organizer but that doesn’t make him a good leader (refer to our president)

Kumar also looks like a goof with a campaign poster of him with Obama. Just keepin’ it real.

Stay classy Concord

30 J. October 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Halfway-to-Concord has a lengthy piece today.

31 Ellen October 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I left a voice mail message on the CPOA. I am ashamed of the low life tactics of their mailer. I left my phone number on the message, as well. I will not hide behind any anonimity when it comes to standing up for what is right and pointing a critical finger at what is wrong. I met Edi Birsan over 3 years ago at a senior expo, he was very curious as to what businesses and non-profits were doing for seniors in our community. He was sincerely interested in knowing about what the citizens of Concord needs and wants were. In the last 3 years I have be in the presence of Mr. Birsan 4-5 times, each time he was at a function in the role of a community volunteer. (Never did I see any CPOA members reaching out to the maginalized and neediest of Conocrd’s residents.)
I am furious about what the Concord POA has done. WE pay the salaries of every officer that has supported this negative, mistruth. THEY must be held accountable. I want an appology. NOW

32 Antler October 31, 2012 at 5:18 AM

I hope this thread will continue to be displayed in the side bar to the left of the page. The issue is ongoing, and there has been no retraction and apology by the Police Officer’s Association.

33 SG November 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I’m not sure if it was mentioned but corporations have what is called a “notice of server” address. This is the Corp. Contact address for the IRS, lawsuits, etc. I own an incorporated business in the county. I have a business license in the county. However, if you look up my corporations address it will show that we can be reached in Solano county. This is my accountants address who agreed to handle all tax/legal issues for me.

If the idiots at the POA knew this was common, they wouldn’t have an angle.

Yes on 32 in 2014!