Fireball Meteor in the Sky Above Claycord

October 17, 2012 21:56 pm · 44 comments

Did anybody see the meteor just before 8pm over the skies of Claycord?

Here’s one of the several reports we received….

I was sitting at a red light on Willow Pass Road with my daughter tonight, Wednesday, around 7:30-7:40pm. We saw a very bright meteor in the western sky heading east-ish. It was brilliant and colorful, blue and white along with a long orange tail. It was heading at a relatively flat and stayed visible for almost 5 seconds. We saw it break up but it was still very high and moving very fast. Wondering if anyone else was lucky enough to see it or even get a photo.

For more on this meteor, click ON THIS LINK.

anonk October 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM

“It was heading at a relatively flat and stayed visible for almost 5 seconds”

Musta been the Romney star……..

mad mom October 17, 2012 at 10:06 PM

My neighbor saw it. She said it was spectacular!

Saw it over in Poets Corner! October 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I saw it…was outside throwing out the trash and all of a sudden a bright flash of light lit up the entire backyard. I looked up and saw what looked like the end of a fireworks ball going across the sky. But it was just a few hundred feet above my rooftop so I assumed someone shot off a Roman candle or something. Weirdest thing was it was completely silent as it burned up across the treetops.
I thought about more later and kept checking Claycord to see if anyone else reported this fireball. But didn’t see anything until just now on the 10oclock news.

Mendi October 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Yes! I saw it, very cool! I was out in the back yard and called to my husband but of course it was gone when he got there. It was larger than I’d ever seen, quite beautiful.

Cogito October 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I was outside of InShape and an saw it. Very bright and it almos looked as if it was over Luckys.

Mark October 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I spotted it as I was driving into my home driveway. My car faces North as I go up the driveway, and the fireball appeared to be going roughly North-Easterly high above my driver-side window. The fireball moniker was appropriate, it looked like a bright burning ball with a long pointed tail of flame. I’m guessing it was very high since I did not hear any sound. A photo would take some luck and quick reflexes since it only lasted a few seconds.

D. Garvin October 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Yes, several of us saw a large orange and black fireball with trailing tail shoot across the lower sky from southwest to northeast around 7:45 pm tonight. It was beautiful. Thought at first it was some kind of firework but realized this one was traveling horizontally.

can't explain how amazing it was... October 17, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Mr. Mayor,
Thank you for using the link I posted on Talk About Whatever. Too bad you don’t give credit for anything other than pictures and favorable comments about yourself.

CLAYCORD.com October 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Do you want me to give credit to “can’t explain how amazing it was”? When have I ever posted or given credit to somebody for a “favorable comment about myself”? Sometimes I think people are just looking for a fight.

Tus Nalgas October 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Was at the Antioch Marina. [9yoc2town5] bts….and then suddenly something flashed broke up in a straight line and then disappeared always see weird things in the sky..be aware of things around you ppl ! 2012 “year of the meateors” Ooooo :O

Paul G October 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I’m in Pleasant Hill off Pleasant Hill Road and I saw it as well. From my vantage point it appeared to be moving north. It was the brightest meteor I can recall seeing, lasted several seconds and seemed to fragment as it flamed out.

Viv Cross October 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I was at Los Medanos and I saw it out the window.. was bright and fast!

funny man October 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Thems fightin’ werds!

ricomania October 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM

i missed it, but I did hear a large explosion / gunshot near Clayton and Ayers that was so loud that it echoed off the hills of the weapons station. That was almost as wonderous.

Radar October 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Your always awesome mayor! BTW I didnt even see it, was inside watching TV.

CLAYCORD.com October 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Thanks, Radar. You’re the best! 🙂

City Girl October 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM

ricomania #14 – What time was that? Tonight around 10:00ish I was standing at my kitchen window when I heard a loud boom and looked up and saw a ton of sparks across the street and about another 100+ feet away. It was loud, and at first I thought it was a firework but then thought it may have been a blown transformer. I live near Wilson/Bailey.

The Claycord Enforcer October 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM

“Can’t Explain” can go S a D.

nytemuvr October 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Mayor,
My first blog and I think you do well, people sure have changed, it’s like a way for them to blow off steam to try and start something or harass people. People are brave behind a keyboard, instead of liquid courage it’s “keyboard courage”, but it takes all kinds…

Antler October 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Was at the computer near windows which face toward CNWS near Bailey Road. We had a lot of lights on in the room, and I did not see a flash. However, the explosion part sounded like the mystery ones reported on here before, except there was a slight fizzzzz sound afterward. So then I thought maybe someone was using heavy-duty fireworks up near the Bailey Road pass.

Channel 2 reported that the meteor was thought to have landed “somewhere in the Martinez hills”. However, from what City Girl saw (she must live not far southeast from us) and the direction from which I heard the sound come as well, now I’m wondering whether there might have been TWO large meteor fragments?

Wow! “Endeavor” and now THIS. Claycord Town is having lots of treats!

Anon. Y. Mous. October 18, 2012 at 2:05 AM

That was really impressive. Wish I could of scene it myself but I was too tired from work. I need to remember in the future when meteor showers occur. I’ll make room in my schedule next time unless work pays overtime.

Russ October 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Was waiting for meteor to crash in cornfield in brentwood and see Dean Cain come strolling out

anon October 18, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Nope, I worked overtime last night and didn’t make it out. One of the posters #6 Says “it was roughly North-Easterly”.
That path is the same path the satellites and other craft use. Hmmm?

I would have got amazing footage with night vision, here’s a regular falling star:

Officer Barbrady October 18, 2012 at 7:20 AM

While this matter is under investigation and we cant comment on it, let’s just say that attiicus’ cat is a cat of interest. Maybe ot was a meteor and maybe it wasn’t.

Durwood October 18, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Here is an article with video of the fireball last night as well as news about the current meteor shower we will be experiencing for the next several days.

z4u2c October 18, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I saw the amazing firball myself with my friend on Starbucks at Concord, but wondering it might just be one of those fire works, but was amazed when I heared and saw comments about it here. Best place to know the news here when in doubt.

Mad Moms Neighbor October 18, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I did see it, and It was spectacular. My son, whom was very annimate, was yelling Wow look What is it? Bright -Beautiful colors Red Yellow Green and white. It moved very fast I feel lucky I saw it.

anon October 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I didn’t see anything, drapes closed but I heard what I though was a very loud boom. Thought it was one of those unexplained booms or a very loud gun shot. I thought it was later than that, maybe not. I’m off of Bailey and Concord Blvd.

Holly October 18, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I saw it too! It was so pretty!

aka October 18, 2012 at 8:44 AM

The sky is falling….

Claycordanon October 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM

@Russ. Your comment about cornfield in Brentwood and Dean Cain. Very funny, thanks for the laugh!

@anon 28 October 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I live in that area as well and heard a very loud boom. It was about 9:30pm.

loriestories October 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

No, I was stuck in a boring PTA meeting……………..

CJ October 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I’m confused. Does #8 want credit for creating the meteor, or for being the only one to see it?

Shasta Daisy October 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Saw lots of meteors last nite……heads up…..might see more this weekend.

huey9k October 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Don’t worry about whiny old no.8, Mr Mayor, it ain’t like they’ve done anything we need to know about anyway.

agree with Antler October 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I too think that there may have been fragments splintering off because I’m in Poet’s corner and from what I saw, I noticed my yard light up with a flash and by the time i looked up, I saw a trail of gold fireworks type streaks going low overhead and in a north eastern direction away from martinez….in fact by my estimation, there could be pieces laying in the Pleasant Hill Baseball Field behind the library!

Anon. Y. Mous. October 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM

As #23 said…strange that it was in a certain orbit. Such crazy talk. I doubt it was space junk. It’s not like some company led by a moron almost polluted the planet with crap, filed an insurance claim, and then someone had to clean it up. Such crazy talk.

Scoots October 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Dang it. I missed the meteor but I did get some great UFO video in the city last weekend:

Crossrefnsource October 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM

You all remember that San Bruno pipeline explosion few years back? Cars melting, Houses instantly burned to the ground. Early witnesses recalling bright flash from sky loud booms seconds before the supposed pipe explosion. FBI, FEMA and NSA took immediate control of the scene which remained closed off for weeks. Hmmm…maybe to collect all those fragments. What was the ignition source for the pipe. Old piping, Calibration and human error were to blame….

Starship October 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Sorry about that….didn’t have my cloaking device on.

Crossrefnsource October 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

P.S. This meteor was witnessed by many @ night, San Bruno explosion occured in daytime. Research it, draw your own conclusion.

Anon October 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Does anyone know exactly where this thing landed?

Aurora October 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM