California Governor Jerry Brown Gives Drivers Licenses to Illegal Immigrants

October 1, 2012 · 128 comments

If you’re one of the 400,000 young illegal immigrants in California, then now’s your chance to get a California drivers license.

Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill on Sunday night which lets young people qualify for licenses if they are accepted by a federal program giving work permits to immigrants who came to the United States before they were 16 and are now 30 years old or younger, according to Sacramento radio station KFBK.

“Gov. Brown believes the federal government should pursue comprehensive immigration reform with a pathway to citizenship,” Brown spokesman Gil Duran was quoted by the Los Angeles Times as saying. “President Obama has recognized the unique status of these students, and making them eligible to apply for driver’s licenses is an obvious next step.”

Opponents argued California should be careful handing out drivers licenses because they are used as identification for many other purposes, including entering airline terminals, The Sacramento Bee reported.

“It is a victory for those who were brought here through no choice of their own, played by the rules, and are only asking to be included in and contribute to American society,” said the bill’s creator, Assemblyman Gil Cedillo.

1 patriot October 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

WONDERFUL ! – more rights for illegals, while the rest of us keep loosing
them!!!!

2 Digger (Not is Concord anymore) October 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Absolutely 100% disgusting, thanks moonbeam for making Ca an even worse place, what part of illegal in illegal immigrants does this state not understand?

3 Dansker October 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Wow, makes me almost wish I wasn’t a citizen! Seem to have more rights than those of us who grew up here.

4 Jorge October 1, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Kudos to Gov. Brown for recognizing that immigrants are the backbone of this great state. It has been this way since before California was even a state and the Caucasians where the immigrants.

Patriot needs to stop worrying about his rights and start exercising his right to get a job.

5 Anonymous October 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Why age 30?, oh well nevermind, there will be another bill for everyone and you can bet Susan Bonilla will vote for it. She cares about keeping the dem pooh bahs happy and nothing for her community

6 Julio-Antioch October 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

As a member of a family who came here many many years ago legally I am not in favor of this at all. I too wonder what our leaders do not understand about illegal. I don’t beleive there should be sanctuary cities either.

7 a October 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

This is just the democrats taking small steps towards letting more Hispanics vote – a demographic they have locked up.

8 France October 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

In my opinion, this seems like the right thing to do. These were CHILDREN who were brought here without their consent! Why punish someone for something that wasn’t in their control.

9 FED UP October 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Nice maybe this will put their feet to the fire on having to pay for medical insurance. Right now illegals are exempt from having to have medical insurance under Obama care. Now we can track them and send them a bill like all the legal residents get when they have no insurance.

10 patriot October 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

@ Jorge- worked for 45 years now retired. just tired of everything being handed to morons like you!!!

11 norm October 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

it is a good thing read the article, it is for the young with a work permit so they can contribute to society and pay their share including taxes. maybe one can get a job as a tutor for patriot so he can learn to spell.

12 Anonymous October 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Although I understand some came here as children, they should take the steps to be here legally if they want to stay. If they don’t want to take the steps, go back to your original country. Period. Stop giving these people handouts!

13 Proof of Insurance should be Required October 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

for getting License as well as registering vehicle…..for everybody, not just Illegal Immigrants

14 What's Next October 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Perhaps it will happen in my lifetime, can renounce my citizenship and everything needed will be given to me free.

15 Rob October 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

They are already driving – this way more can just do it legally so we can actually have some ability to get them to carry insurance so in an accident people aren’t faced with a guy who is illegal, has no DL and no Insurance and little income…

16 Blah Blah blah October 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Some of the people of claycord make me want to make love repeatedly to a hot fire poker in my eye socket.

17 Julio-Antioch October 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Proof of insurance IS required for everyone.

18 Jorge October 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

@patriot

Collecting Social Security is not considered ‘retired’… it’s elder welfare. You need to go back to work because I’m tired of my tax dollars going to lazy freeloaders like yourself.

19 Jerk October 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Well, it’s not like our roads will be getting any more crowded – They’ve all been driving without licenses the whole time! Now, they’ll be required to have INSURANCE!!!

20 Parsnip October 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

@Jorge #4 — Of course you realize that your “right to get a job” as an illegal means you also have the “right” to pay taxes, no? Your “right to get a CDL” also gives you the “right” to buy car insurance.

21 Jeff October 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

There are no words that can fully describe my disappointment and anger more than “Impeach Jerry NOW”

Those who don’t follow the laws have more flexibility and freedom than those who do.

22 Jeff October 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Is he going to make them have illegal insurance too?

23 Impeach Moonbeam October 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Yeah, giving illegals another reason to come here should really help to comprehensively reform immigration. I think #7 has it figured out. It’s just Democrats helping Democrats.

24 whatever floats your boat October 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

And you can bet that they won’t have car insurance to drive those vehicles! That’s why I drive a old beat-up car, in case some idiot causes a vehicle accident and leaves me with the bill? I know because this happened to my neighbor. They don’t speak English or own anything and how do you locate them if they do cause an accident? You can’t squeeze water from a rock. It doesn’t pay to have anything nice anymore. America has gone to pot.

25 anon October 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM

@norm what has a driving license got to do with paying taxes ?????
they already pay taxes if they are here with a work permit
if they don’t have a work permit they they wont get a license
but yes it is a good thing now all we need to do is wait for them to show up at dmv with there families then we can ship them all home in one go

26 NoMoreFreeRide October 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM

@Jorge – It’s not elder welfare they paid into the system unlike may illegals that have not! Nice of the governor to sign the bill on a Sunday night. If eh was so proud of it why didn’t he sign it on Monday with the cameras rolling?

27 anon October 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

And here come the conservative cry babies, always talking a line about small government and less taxation, but man, when it comes to immigrants without the property GOVERNMENT paperwork, they cry to the heavens about their GOVERNMENT benefits being shared with those brown people. “MORE GOVERNMENT”, they cry, is needed to get rid of those immigrants who lack GOVERNMENT permission slips, and MORE GOVERNMENT is needed to keep them out, including MORE GOVERNMENT to destroy civil liberties so that the border control can check every car and the INS can check every work application.

What a bunch of xenophobic hypocrites. If you don’t like the welfare, fight that, but you prove your true colors when you demand more government to chase out people who are here peacefully.

28 Em Dubya October 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Great news! This saves me the airfare to fly to Greece. I practically live there now.

Who needs the rule of law? If it feels good, or it is “right for me” I should be able to do it no matter what.

29 Jorge October 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

@NoMoreFreeRide

Just because you pay into a system doesn’t mean it not welfare. I pay into unemployment, my taxes go toward food stamps and welfare… Social Security IS welfare and those that accept it (@patriot) are the new welfare queens. Get a job and pay for your own retirements.

30 JWB October 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

What does owning a car or having car insurance have to do with drivers licenses? I understand that if you own a car you need a license and insurance to operate it, but form that doesn’t flow that if you have a license you need to own a car or have insurance. Maybe you want to operate a family member’s car or a friend’s car or even a rental car.

31 patriot October 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

@jorge # 18- union retirement, and i’ve payed into social security for all of my career- how ’bout you? also i would not call 45 years of work “lazy”. maybe you should quit hanging out in front of Home Depot and stop feeling sorry for yourself. everything i’m collecting now-I HAVE EARNED!!!

32 s.... October 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

PLEASE GET INFORMED BEFORE YOU POT ANYTHING IN THIS PAGE PEOPLE CAN BE VERY RUDE IN THEIR COMMENTS.
Is a license for the drimers is for young that’s go to college and universities is for students people that is getting education .
IF OUR KIDS GO TO COLLEGE WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A BETTER COUNTRY AND WE ARE GOING TO STOP BRING DOCTORS AND NURSES FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY THAT THEY DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT WE SAID BECAUSE THEY ENGLISH IS NOT THEIR LANGUAGE “PLEASE BE POSITIVE AND BETTER CITIZEN FOR THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY.

33 What security October 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM

@ Anon well said…..

34 Heshkid October 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The funny Part is that none of American a-holes can do anything to stop it so lets see who the real hard working people truly are.

35 concord resident October 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM

we are,all humans, just like there bad illegals there also bad legas. so quit your yapping peoples. if you dont like it why dont you try going to their country and see what its like. you guys wont even last a day. we are all humans those poor children got brought here by force so i think its a good idea and there not giveing them to just anyone… have to go step by step. if there was people killing people here in the united states and we all had to leave our country imagine how youd feel if you need things and could get a job because your an American. put your self in there place for gods sakes.. we are all humans.

36 What security October 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM

So what if they have a drivers linc.

37 Parsnip October 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

@what security #36

It’s a good way of identifying illegals … for other reasons.

38 norm October 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM

@anon you do not pay taxes with a work permit, you pay taxes with a job and most jobs require you to have dependable transportation which means driving as public transportation is not dependable to get you there on time. this country was not built to greatness solely by natives but also by immigrants both legal and illegal so lets this country great by accepting the help of all that offer it..

39 MO October 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Social Security is a savings account that we all pay into to save up for our old age. But then the Gov’t stole it for some projects and there went our savings accounts. Welfare is charity…that my taxes are paying for…but of course I don’t qualify for it. Doesn’t seem fair?

An alien:
In law, an alien is a person in a country who is not a citizen of that country..

An Illegal alien:
a foreigner who has entered or resides in a country unlawfully or without the country’s authorization.
a foreigner who enters the U.S. without an entry or immigrant visa, especially a person who crosses the border by avoiding inspection or who overstays the period of time allowed as a visitor, tourist, or businessperson. Compare resident alien.

Now…if they were under 18 years old I can say protect them from the illegal aliens who brought them here.

But…they are 30 years old..they have had plenty of time to get their US Citizenship, and get a drivers license legally. They deserve no special treatment…if they haven’t done anything to legalize themselves by 30 years of age they are criminals…ie: doing something illegally.

How hard is ”illegal” to understand?

40 MikeyV October 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I love how these type of threads bring out the morons.

s…., did you finish the first grade?

Concrd Resident? We all think you should put down the glass d*ck before posting. Worst post I’ve ever read.

Jorge, you’re an idiot, you ought to understand what you’re talking about before blabbering on Claycord. It’s obvious you’ve never had a paying job in this country, or you’d know what Social Security is and how it works.

41 Dee October 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

@Jorge you are sadly mistaken… YOU DO NOT pay into unemployment the EMPLOYER does however you DO PAY into social security out of every paycheck so that IS YOUR money and NOT WELFARE.Better get your facts straight

42 Mika October 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM

OMG!!!!!

43 Parsnip October 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

@concord resident #35

I’m a military brat who was born overseas. Of course, I was a citizen of the United States. But when my father got transferred to Europe, then I had to get naturalized. Europe is not open to anyone coming from anywhere and staking a residential claim.

Humans haven’t changed; politicians do whatever they can to BUY a vote. Obama buys them, and next on Brown’s agenda is giving illegals the right to vote.

44 @ anon #27 October 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM

you have it all mixed up – we don’t want more government. we want the government that we have to do it’s fkng job securing our borders.

but your misguided rant sure sounds fun in your shriveled liberal mind.

45 At Jorge October 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I don’t post to much on here but you sir are trying to shake things up and throwing logs in the fire, the guy your saying this to has paid for 45 years of working, you do understand that I know your not that stupid, well maybe you are by posting crap and me by saying this, but people like you make my hard american working ass so pissed i would beat the f-ing crap out of you. ya want to meet up? let me know!

46 Jorge October 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

@Dee
You are an idiot. I AM the employer! In addition, when I hire someone, I pay them knowing I have to pay their Social Security AND pay into unemployment. If I didn’t have to account for these expentatures I could pay my employees more. Therefore, regardless of whether there are line items on your paystub, you pay into unemployment.

@MO
Social Security is not savings… and it never was.

@patriot

47 wife of an illegal October 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM

These people come here and work their ass off for very little money! Its about time they give them a license, plus the money made from the licenses will actually help our economy lower its debt! If u don’t like it then move!

48 JLG October 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Sounds fair to me.

49 The Professor October 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

This sucks! Everyone here is complaining about illegals being able to drive because of this. They were driving anyway so it won’t make a bit of difference.

But guess what? You can register to vote on-line and all that you need is a driver’s license! Yep, it’s true. So now we will have 400,000 foreigners who are able to vote on little things like President, Governor, propositions, etc. That’s 400,000 people (in California alone) who have had their “chains” thrown off by the benevolent Democrats.

Why even bother with registration?

50 nytemuvr October 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM

@patriot #31

51 THANKS MOONBEAM October 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

But I keep telling you, Mexifornia in NOT a sanctuary state.

@ wife of an illegal #47 –
Being married to a CRIMINAL tells us all we need to know about you. How ’bout you and the CRIMINAL go home, come back legally and sign the guest book on the way in. Or does being a hard worker allow you rights above the rest of us.

52 THANKS MOONBEAM October 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Thanks MOONBEAM for bringing us one step closer to the revolution.

53 Shuley October 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Makes perfect sense to me. I think all illegal aliens should be able to get driver’s licenses. That way, they can get the required insurance when they are on the road.
I wonder what would happen if all illegal aliens just left one day. Those very low-wage paying jobs prop up our economy and make everyday items and services affordable. The dunderheads on here that scream about illegal aliens “stealing our jobs” are clueless. If you want reality, it’s LEGAL aliens coming into the US that are taking any job I want. You don’t seem to bitch about someone on an HB1 visa with a 150K yr programming job.

54 Screwy Louie October 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Oh look, all the windbags blew over from the Politics thread.
Just read anon @27 and then go back and spew your crap over there.
You wouldn’t get the big picture if it was in 3D.

55 Elwood October 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

@ s…. #32

Let’s hear it for the illiterate!

Nice try!

56 warbirds45 October 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Hey Juan, I got my driver’s license. I’m coming down, get your cousins and relatives, and I can drive you across the Border!
Before we leave, I can get the upholstery down on my low rider!

57 Sam October 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Im 100 percent for it. Im tired of hearing these illegals getting into accidents and not being held resposible because they have no licence and no insurance… Thats right cops let them go.. They dont pay for any damages or go to jail. Now they can buy insurace and be held responsible if causing an accident!!!

58 Why does it matter? October 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Some of you are idiots. You did not read the whole article. You just speak out your @sses. Get real, it is going to happen……. everywhere.

@Jorge, you are a real piece of work. You have been misinformed and you just make yourself look dumb.

59 Elwood October 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Here is the Elwood handy dandy foolproof immigration policy:

If you’re not here, don’t come.

If you’re not a citizen, go home.

And stay there.

60 Brian October 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Another shining example of how bad the politicians are ruining California. Businesses are leaving left and right but hey let’s let aother drag on the economy i this state take place. How the hell Brown got reeclected after the lousy job he did 30 years ago is beyond me. What part of the wotd ILLEGAL don’t you get? Ah-nold is looking better again…

61 Okee Dokee October 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

#32 – want to try saying whatever it was you were saying in English????

Jorge – you are an A$$ and not worth anyones time. Now jump back on the lettuce truck and go bck south of the boarder.

62 Parsnip October 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

@Jorge #46
“It’s lazy freeloading union parasites like yourself that make me so happy with my decision to not hire union.”

“To not hire union?” Unions aren’t established by an employer.

Certainly you know that just because you don’t “hire union” doesn’t mean they can’t unionize. And, if you retaliate, AND have at least 15 employees, it becomes an EEOC claim for them.

63 Parsnip October 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM

#61 — Correction: FLSA claim.

64 Reality Check October 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

AND, it is only for CHILDREN who were brought here by parents illegally. Not by any choice they made, so the process to citizenship being available is literally what this country was founded on.

65 MIss Ranchogirl October 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

the only place in the whole wide world where illegals have more rights than legal residents. Who votes for these people?
Not me – that’s for sure.

66 Sparkerdoo October 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Need I repeat my story every time this comes up?
In 1995, (approx. 6:10 am) a pick up truck ran the red light on Oak Grove crossing Treat (towards Ygnacio Valley Road) I am in the middle lane of Treat going towards 680.
Pick Up truck SLAMS into me (I’m in a 1970 VW Bug) flips me onto my side and over the center divider on Treat into oncoming traffic, I end up in Cheveron station smack dab into a tree.
The truck continued driving and then came back and drove past me , (with about 5 witness cars following him) The cops find him hiding in Storage unit behind CoCo’s and he gets arrested, and released.
It was a company truck, he spoke NO ENGLISH, HAD NO INSURANCE, AND NO DRIVERS LICENSE! He somehow said that I was in his way….
These illegals are smart smart smart…..the owner of the truck denied his letting Hector from using it, and when we sued them…..the Landscape Company filed for Bankruptcy.
I have now had 4 MAJOR BACK/spinal surgeries, i have to be on pain medication along with Nerve damage medication, and lost my $58K paycheck when I was forced to file disability!
I got zero from this person or these people, they act dumb with the “I no understand English”. When I drove by their house ….beautiful home, pool with water delivery . . . . I can’t afford anything close to that…..
I got SCREWED….. I was told that any money this Hector makes (ah haha hah ha) I would be given a percentage of that……my question….do any of you think Hector will get a legal Tax paying job here?????
All I can say is BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE ….any of us are targets for these thieves…..Illegal thieves at that!

67 livininconocrd October 1, 2012 at 1:17 PM

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Illegal is illegal. If you want to become an American and you were smuggled as a little baby unknowling across the border (poor you!) and have been living off my sweat for the last 30 years, then JOIN the military. It’s probably the fastest way to citizenship. Oh, Wait. You want it for free !!! I forgot, let my husband and father and son go to war in your place so YOU can have a freaking free ride at my expense.

Besides the person who is to BLAME is your Mamacita and Papacita. Not me!!!! My parents parents, came legally and went through Ellis Island and did it the TOUGH way. The legal way.
What makes you think if you and your parents came here illegally (committing a crime) that I think you won’t just commit a 2nd crime.
And to all you stupid Dem’s out there – when do WE THE CITIZENS get a “GET OUT OF JAIL / GET TO COMMINT 1 CRIME FOR FREE” card. All the illegals get to.

68 George October 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM

So when does having a car and a drivers license “require” anyone to have insurance. Think David Rosen.

69 I am an ilegal! and there is nothing you can do about it!!!! October 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Thank you mr brown can I please have free health insurance.

Job what is a job?

Car insurance you mean I will get this free.

ALL YOU GRINGOS ARE PATHETIC… YOU HAVE TO WORK AND WE GET ALL YOUR MONEY FREE. LETS JUST OPEN THE BOARDERS!

I AM GOING TO VOTE FOR OBAMA HE IS MY HERO!!!!

GO OBAMA GO…… WE WILL FREELOAD OFF OF YOUR COUNTRY AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT LOLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAHA!

70 Check it out K October 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM

@ Jorge and Wife of an Illegal, guess this means you both will be voting for Obama–again. What morons you two are. I bet you’re married to each other. How can you say the illegals here are the “backbone” of this state? They are parasites sucking the life out of our economy in CA. Do you have any idea how many BILLIONS of dollars the TAX PAYERS (not the illegals who get paid cash and pay into NOTHING) pay each year to have these pieces of shit here?

I have to pay to put my kid in private school because of all the illegals that go to the school near us and drag down the education level to preschool levels. Is that fair for me? Hell no, I already pay property tax & income tax. Do illegals? NO!

Why do we have so many illegals in the emergency room sucking the life out of our hospitals? Hospitals are forced to treat them and then they never pay. That’s really fair. No wonder hospitals are closing left & right.

We don’t need these parasites. Get the hell out, all of you. I will pay more for my strawberries and lettuce if you get the hell out. Go back to your shitty country and make life better there, stop trying to drag us all down to your level.

Oh yeah, and not hiring union is really smart-hire guys from home depot who have no idea what they are doing and then you can charge your customers union prices and pocket the rest. Nice morals.

71 dilligafman October 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM

after reading these posts i’m sure of two things-” jorge” is a complete and utter dips#&t and “patriot” is a truly respectable human being who has through 45 years of work deserves every penny he is getting!

72 Kiwi October 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM

“Opponents argued California should be careful handing out drivers licenses because they are used as identification for many other purposes, including entering airline terminals”

This part is a little scary!!
And for those people that seems to think now they will run out and get insurance for their cars is sadly mistaken. Wishful thinking though!

73 BreakingJen October 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Reading these comments it seems that people believe that being a citizen automatically makes them some type of law abiding and holier than thou person who commits no crime and it’s a more important part of our society than anyone else. I don’t know about anyone else but I have been PLENTY of citizens treating others like cr@p and wasting resources and refusing to earn any wages. There are citizens who are draining our resources and causing crimes with citizen victims. Yet people on here seem to be referencing some utopian world where all crime ends, all resources are suddenly well funded and everyone will willingly work due to their citizen status. None of this is true, there are hard workers and lazy workers on both sides of this argument. There are good and bad people. Just like with everything else. So far reading this comment board it seems like we have done nothing more but show how much hatred some in Contra Costa Country have for those who don’t fit their definition of ‘we’.

74 anon October 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM

@ Reality Check:

You’re right. We came to this country and took it the old-fashioned way – by force. If any of these shitty countries that are the source of illegal immigration want to roll the dice and come take it from us, they’re welcome to try. Then they can allow whoever they want to be a citizen. Until then, illegals need to either pursue citizenship through legal channels or get the f**k out.

75 Citizens? October 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM

So when your ancestors came here back in the day, why? What were they running from? Take a history lesson and learn about the first invaders in this country. Was it legal to take this land back then? Now when all is said and done and others have fought for this country to make sure others can not enter, you want to get pissy about whom enters? Pathetic…..

76 Anon2you October 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Each and everyone of these licenses will become one more UN-insured motorist on the road. Unbelievable! Way to go Gov…Keep up the good work…idiot!

77 Okee Dokee October 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Maybe this is what the Gov’t should do…….Issue the license under the caviet that said “illegals” pass a written and road test and has 60 days to file for citizenship or be deported (they will have all the info needed to deport). Actually if they have attended High School here they should be made to file for citizenship @ 18 or be denied the privilege of graduating and attending any college in this state or country.
If the said license applicant/recipient has a work permit that means that the person is here legally as a work permit documents your existance in this country….So issuing them a license once they pass the test(s) should not even be an issue. Also if they have a legal work permit then they also have filled out I-9’s and taxes do come out of their paychecks.
So yes there is a difference between “illegal” and being here with a work permit.

78 Brujo October 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

A big thumbs up to patriot and a big thumbs down to Jorge. Jorge, you sound like an idiot; and patriot, you sound like someone I am more than happy to have as a fellow citizen.

79 What security October 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Stop blaming people for trying to not live in a drug infested, lawlessness and poverty stricken place like parts of Mexico.

The Mexican and have been contributing, working hard have strong sense of family, work and faith. They work their A$$$ off and some of the girlies are kinda cute too. Make some of us lazy Americans look real bad.

Man If I was confined to place like Parts of Richmond, Oakland by a boarder guard or gate. I’d get the heck out of their too. I think most of you would too. What would Jesus do?????

80 Jose October 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Woooooohoooo I’m getting my drivers license !!!!

81 @What security October 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Guess what? I don’t want to live in a drug infested, lawless, and poverty-stricken place like parts of Mexico. That’s why I don’t want all those illegal, lawless, poverty-stricken immigrants coming over here. Have you ever noticed that illegal immigrants are way over-represented as criminals? Yeah, I know. It’s because they just wanna work, but we won’t let them. Now that they can get driver’s licenses, they’ll all become truck drivers, taxi drivers, etc., make a decent living, and change their ways. Yeah, right. You’re the one living in a fantasy world.

82 Anonymous October 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM

It makes me sad to see so many people b**ch and complain about illegals being in this country…this country was founded by immigrants! There are thousands of students here working their asses off to get an education…one which they pay for completely put of pocket…all they ask for is chance to succeed like any other person living in this country!

You people have absolutely no compassion…u behave like animals by attacking innocent people trying to overcome obstacles set forth by decisions they did not make for themselves.

All I hear is ignorance!

Has anyone stopped to think about how their lives would be if they had to live like any of those people who qualify for deferred action. I think not! It’s almost impossible to try owning a house let alone rent an apartment, they don’t have drivers licenses, jobs pay minimum wage…

So stop complaining!!!

83 Tired old man October 1, 2012 at 3:52 PM

When they become a citizen they can go through the full process for a license just as I did, my kids did, and my grand kids are doing . Until then. walk, ride a bike or a bus! Not a U.S citizen, NO license!.

84 Anonymous October 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I agree with @breakingJen
Citizens of this country act like they are Holier and above everyone else. I have seen plenty of citizens completely content with living off welfare and any other government funded program that gives them free money!

85 Parsnip October 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Might as well get rid of TSA.

We can now have a bunch of al-Qaeda on the streets gratis Brown. Anyone drive through the Caldecott or across bridges during commute hour?

86 an0n October 1, 2012 at 4:03 PM

@ Anonymous #82 –
It’s supposed to be difficult to live here as an illegal alien criminal. You’re a slow-witted idiot.
Want to see what your illegal aliens are doing to this country, take a trip to L.A. and any town close to the border.
People like you contribute to the downfall of America. Die!

87 LoriesStories October 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Why shouldn’t the “ILLEGALS” come through like everyone else? I have several girlfriends who got sent back to : Austrailia, Ireland, England and South Africa because they were here illegally! Only one of them got to come back when she won the green card lottery. She now works and pays taxes. The laws are to keep out the rapists, murders, and people with highly infectious diseases.

88 anon October 1, 2012 at 4:42 PM

@norm i have a well paid job in the city and use transportation to get to and from work every day i am never late it is called getting off you ass on time.
and yes work permit means they pay taxes cause it allows them to get a legal job that has to pay taxes and answer to the government no work permit = job that pays in cash no taxes and them spending Sunday outside home depot or your local u-haul
and unless your job actually requires you to drive then a firm that discriminates against a person with no license is on very shaky ground in this sue happy state

@anon 82 yes it is hard to get citizenship not impossible but hard
It’s meant to be hard or they would just give it out at the borders (oh wait it feels like they do )

89 MO October 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM

HOW HARD IS THE WORK ‘ILLEGAL” TO UNDERSTAND?
@Jorge…Savings account is a ”general term”…we’ve worked all these years to pay into SS and when we receive it, it’s not an entitlement it’s a benefit that we’ve worked for … no one is giving us anything —we have earned SS. We had to work 40 quarters to even qualify.
========
I am only 2nd generation American…my Grandparents immigrated the right way. They were not sneaking in, or dropping anchor babies..they earned their living, were naturalized within 2 years, and working at jobs in a mine. That is the right way…Immigration is an all American dream come true for many…but the folks out there getting ‘freebies’ are not interested in being a citizen, they just want the benefits. No respect here for those who cheat and get more than those who come here and do it the right way.

I think that if you are 30 years old and being a citizen is that important to you, you’d have made an effort to get those citizenship papers. There should be NO NEED to give aliens a driver’s license
========
@Professor
You hit the nail on the head. This is a way for ”liberal” government in CA to put illegals on the voter rolls……..all it takes is a computer and a drivers license…and a cheater at the wheel. This program should be labeled Voter Fraud.
========
@patriot….
God Bless you and your patriotic spirit…you are what Americans are all about….thanks for posting.
========
Do you know how uneducated some of you are. Every one was not running from something, like illegal aliens are now….some people just came because they believed in the greatest Country in the world, where we are free to ”do it ourselves”…and make a good life. Most of our countrymen believe in being self sufficient…they don’t need or want hand outs, like our entitlement society of today. They are patriotic and proud to be an American. Everyone is not a sneak, and a cheater and a thief…stealing from the country and citizens who do without to give to them…………free schooling and hospitalization and welfare checks….people should have to work for what they get. And, we have always welcomed people who want to be citizens……………..it’s these illegals who are criminals that need to go home, and come back in the front door…then they would be welcome. Until then they are cheating.

I repeat…if you are 30 years old and have been here illegally most of your life, you don’t want to be an American…you just want anything you can get for free without working for it. Go get your ”papers” and become one of us….until then you are illegal.

90 NoMoreFreeRide October 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Anonymous – Country was founded on legal immigrants not illegal immigrants.

91 Jerk October 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Woo hoo, it must be good to be an illegal! Free Food, Free Health care, Free housing, Free education. H3LL – They even get Free Cell Phones!

That’s right, “they come here for a better life” – was Nothing More than media spin put out there by the wealthy (who controls the media BTW) who benefited by the Cheap labor having these as servants in their houses. And I can name a few Politicians guilty of this.
Oh, but YOU the middle class are the one who got screwed and gets to PAY for all of this.
Do you feel free in the good ole USA.

92 Anon October 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

You really think that an illegal is going to show up and give his info to his nest and risk his miho’s being deported while he was at work. You would be signing a legal document swearing that you are an illegal alien.

Just as soon as the political winds shift you might as well tattoo “deport me” on your forehead. Not only that but other states will see this crap and push some serious “close the boarder” legislation. It’s politics folks no one wins all the time, backlash will follow.

To be honest doesn’t anyone else see the presidential election ramifications. The libs have put Romney in a spot where he has to give his thumbs up and try and get the mex vote while abandoning anyone else who would vote for him. If he condemns it he losses the mex (legal) vote which was his only chance at winning.

93 Paranoid Pete October 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

The Illegals will surely use their ID to vote! And we know which party! I’m sure Jerry will pay for their gas, insurance, and smog! Monument Blvd must be ecstatic! Jerry Brown is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

94 Atticus Thraxx October 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The American paradigm has shifted. Guess some backlash is inevitable in times of financial stress. Hispanic community is gaining political power. And using it. President Obama has no interest in the white, middle class and clearly multi-millionaire Gov.Romney….well his record speaks for itself on that.
So you/we are pretty much screwed in the short term. But long term? It’s probably healthy for the nation as a whole.
Me? I’m learning Spanish. I know an irresistible force when I see one. No point in being an immovable object.

95 Parsnip October 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM

NO on Georger Miller in November.
NO on Jerry Brown in 2014.

This state needs new blood.

96 Elwood October 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM

“For those asking them to pursue citizenship, it’s NOT easy and damn near IMPOSSIBLE for most of them!”

Tough frijoles!

They should go home.

97 Anonymous October 1, 2012 at 6:42 PM

@an0n #86 I would bet you’re the slow witted idiot considering not all illegal aliens are criminal.

98 Nonymous October 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

This is good news for those who smuggle people into this country. They will keep on smuggling, California will continue to receive them. Creating jobs for human traffickers. Whats the point of having border patrol anymore? Illegal inmigrants can NOT vote, so they should take a back seat. It’s unfair for all of those, young and old, who paid lawyer fees to come into this country l-e-g-a-l-l-y and who do everything on the book to become U.S Citizens. Enough giving into people who dont speak english and are here illegally.

99 A Scenario October 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Let’s say a homeless family moves into a vacant house. I don’t mean they buy or rent it. I mean it’s bank-owned and they see that nobody is living in it, so they break a back window, open the door, and take up residence. While they’re there, they completely trash the place. I mean holes in the walls, shit on the floor, garbage all over the place.

So, the bank figures out this family is living in the house and calls the cops to get them out. The parents are obviously criminals (breaking and entering, trespassing, vandalism…), but the kids don’t know any better. Should the kids be allowed to continue living there, free of charge? Should the bank just give the house to the kids because they want a better life?

Hell no, they shouldn’t. This country is that house. Send the criminals to jail and send those they brought with them back home.

100 Dee October 1, 2012 at 7:17 PM

@ Jorge.#46… first off I didn’t call you an idiot so now I will tell you to F off since you want to go that direction and God help anybody that works for you. So let me get this straight since you seem to say that you pay our social security for us then why was my take home pay less that amount over the 40 years that I have worked Yes you have to cut the check to the government but it came out of the employees checks you are just the messenger so to speak As far as your comment on unions I have never belonged to one so don;’t say shit you think you may want to spout off about Actually would really love to know what “business” you own so I will be sure to NEVER patronize it

@#45 well stated LOL

@MO you are also right on the money… of course this guy is an idiot since that is what he likes to call people so he will always think he is right ans he’s just plain scary the way he thinks

101 Dennis October 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

children of illegals from Mexico born or brought here are legally citizens of Mexico. Send them and their parents back to the country where all are citizens.

102 Dennis October 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Drivers Licenses are clearly marked to idenify non-adults.
How about issuing DL numbers with a distinct set of numbers (like X######) and huge red holographic letters across the license saying NON CITIZEN?
Oh wait, that would interfere with the Dems use of them for voter fraud.

103 Dennis October 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I’m amazed at the proliferation of aztlan BS as “fact” in the history of CA.
First, Mexico gained independence from Spain, and so did CA, which was a colony of Spain, just like Mexico.
Second, Mexico attempted to exploit CA as a colony, by introducing the Mission system, which managed to fail spectacularly, and in the process reducing the Native American population of CA from about 300k to less than 30k people. Mission slaves didn’t do well.
Mexico, by the 1830s, “granted”/sold the land in CA to individuals, many of them non-Mexican. The Mexican land grants were also spit by their owners and sold to non-Mexicans during that period.
Yes, Mexico had a war with the USA, but CA was not “stolen” or “siezed by war” from Mexico; control was ceded to the US for money, desperately needed by the governments of Mexico during that era.
Which Mexico do you think had a legitimate claim on CA? There were over 3 dozen coups and revolutions in Mexico, the average lasting about 9 months.
When CA applied for statehood (yay Gold Rush!), the landowners in CA – both Mexican and American – V.O.T.E.D. to join the USA as a State.
Get that? the residents voted, it wasn’t forced on them at the point of a sword.
Yet the aztlan movement continues to claim that CA is still the property of (what is now) Mexico.
go figure.

104 Sgt. Schultz October 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM

@Atticus Thraxx. Always nice to know your stance on the issue. You’re what was known, in German occupied Poland, as a lampshade.

105 JWB October 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Oh Dennis #103 once again commenting without knowledge, but hey that BS is your trademark. If you actually would look at your CA drivers license you would notice that it is marked with the following statement:

“This license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle, it does not establish eligibility for employment, voter registration, or public benefit.”

It also has nothing to do with citizenship, legal immigrants, resident and non resident aliens, have always been issued a legal drivers license. As a matter of fact the law actually requires that you get a CA drivers license if you are a temporary worker or green card holder.

But of course Dennis is yapping as if he would know …. nothing new here.

106 Nonymous October 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Lets have the countries where illegal inmigrants come from provide their citizens with a good education system, healthcare system and jobs. By giving illegal inmigrants a free pass the government of this country is telling the governments/countries where illegal inmigrants come from: “Don’t work hard to take care of your own citizens, (our government and) the legal residents and citizens of the old good U.S of A will do it for you”

107 Dennis October 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

@Reality Check

lemme guess: you are a product of the infamous “public school education”.

“If you are not 100% Native American, you are descended from immigrants. Programs like this allowed you to be here too! And by the way, the native people of much of this state are Mexicans! White people won it in a war.”

First, the Native Americans were immigrants too. Try to focus: there is a difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigration.
When the USA was created (call it 1786, with the Constitution), citizenship – and the vote – was parcelled out to landowners. By a special act of congress, native americans living in sovereign reservations were included, and – also by acts of Congress – freed slaves after the Civil War in the South (Blacks already had citizenship and the right to vote in the north), and even women were included (by Amendment in the 1920s) to that group.
There has never been a RIGHT to Citizenship by birth; all persons who become citizens must proclaim no fealty or loyalty to any other government or nation as a condition to citizenship here.
That means that other groups, such as the families of foreign diplomats stationed here, do NOT aoutomatically become citizens of the USA by virtue of being born here.
That exclusion applies to all groups not specified by those special acts of Congress and the Constitution, including births by women in the USA illegally.
PS as with persons born to US citizens abroad, any child born to – for example – a Mexican woman, here or at home, is a Mexican citizen. So instead of claiming that illegal parents can’t be deported because it would mean deporting a citizen child, it should be noted that the entire family is being deported to a country where they all have citizenship (ie. Mexico).

108 Dennis October 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM

@LoriesStories

you do understand that your GFs problems are due partly to the Mexican immigrant mess? Mexico has more visas allocated than ALL other countries combined. No wonder they have problems, standing way at the back of the line of Mexicans coming here legally.

But you touched on an additional factor: criminals in Mexico can’t apply for a visa, so they flee north across the border; even if apprehended, Obama won’t send them home, because Mexico refuses to take them back.

And if you have a disease, such as TB or Dengue Fever, or whatever, you can’t pass the health exam required for a visa, so you sneak into the US illegally, and of course wind up working at a fast food drive-thru, where infecting others is your top priority.

I used to cut-and-paste news items about the guy with drug resistant TB that has been deported 18 times, but keeps sneaking back in, or the criminals who – after 5 prison terms here – is put back on the street (here) because the Obama administration refused to force his deportation back to Mexico, which doesn’t want him. He’s our problem now.

Legal visas and immigrants are not the problem (except Mexico’s special allotments make the lines very long for other countries), it is the ILLEGAL immigrant that is causing the problems.

PS anyone deported who returns illegally is committing a FELONY. Most of those guys standing around on Monument, unless its their first time here, are actually wanted FELONS for having re-entered the country.

But hey, why worry? 10% of those guys will find work before they starve, and the other 90% will join gangs (like MS-13) who will take care of them while they are out of prison :)

109 Anon October 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Do you lib dip shi#s really think that now that illegal Mexicans are now going to flock to get insurance? “Oh boy now I can pay money to do what I already do.” “I want to be held responsible.” My wife spent a few years in Mexico the first thing anyone does after a car accident is run, even the victim. Mexican police arrest anyone who stays long enough for them to show up.

@Dee, so many people have called jorge an idiot, he hears it in his sleep.

110 Emfazeema Jackson October 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

If the laws don’t apply to everybody, then they don’t apply to anybody. Go ahead & break the law.

111 Atticus Thraxx October 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

At ease Sgt. I thought your opinion was important, I’d issue you one.

112 ALTO October 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

What’s next…having road signs printed in Spanish!?! If you can’t speak english how are you going to be able to read it.

113 Sgt. Schultz October 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM

You mean “IF” you thought…..
Now back to your TV dinner, it’s getting cold.

114 @110 October 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Good point Anon! Most of the people here in favor of this have probably never been to Mexico and do not understand how it works there.

115 mama cowell October 1, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I think its great.

however, my neighbor is going to go certified 5150 ape~shit over this.

me thinks, it will be fun to watch.

-Mama

116 s.... October 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM

MIKEY V.
IS ME S.
i am in immigrant that have a GED, A TECHNICAL CARRIER AND NOW I AM A 38 WONDERFUL BUSINESS OWNER ALSO A VERY PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN OF THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY .
ABOUT YOU MR MIKEY V

117 Tarmagen October 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I think I’d like to move to the moon. It’s the one place where an American flag proudly waves and nobody is b**ching about it. –Not even aliens (illegal or ET).

118 cb October 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

“You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them what they could and should be doing for themselves.” Abraham Lincoln

119 Safety Second October 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM

To all you ingnorant leftist, I pray you live long enough to see your Children and great grandchildren as they get displaced by open border policys -Their future is grim thanks to your utopian politicians

120 dontmatter October 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM

All ya can go to hell if you got anything bad to say about this bill that just passed. Just because you guys are citizens and dont want to work and want to be lazy you guys get mad at the illegals because they pick up you guys slack? Illegales are the ones that are still making this country run. White people and everbody who disagrees with this bill are people that are lazy an aint worth nothing in life if you feel threating about illegales getting their license.

121 Sparkerdoo October 2, 2012 at 3:49 AM

My brother’s neighbor was bringing her mom up from Mexico. I was a Notary Public at the time. She and her husband signed an ‘Affidavit of Support’ basically saying they will support her during her time here.
After 6 years, I come to find out that her mom lives in her own and collects Social Security, while she also receives FREE benefits!
This pissed me off so bad, because this woman has NEVER EVER worked a day in her time in the UNITED STATES!!!
Yet when I was injured in the car accident (see above #66) caused by an illegal, non English, No License and No insurance, it took me 3.5 years and 3 denials to receive my disability (which I would rather be working than this disability life); yet this woman got her first check within a month of her applying!
THIS PISSES ME OFF!!
My Question:
If I move to Mexico, Russia or some other foreign country… And i am NOT a Legal citizen, Will I be given a drivers License so I can get to work and school? Also, will I get Free medical Insurance, and money to live off JUST because I’m Illegal and need to go to school to better myself? Oh and when I go to any Government Building for a document, will there be an assortment of them in ALL the different languages?
IT’s CRAP, and what the ILLEGAL a-hole did to me in 1995 has and will continue to affect me and my family for the rest
Of my life!!!!! It’s a CRIME!

122 Sparkerdoo October 2, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Oh and DONTMATTER #121
You just wait until one of these ILLEGALS hits you and permanently disables you…with NO LICENSE, NO INSURANCE, NO ENGLISH, and NEVER paid one cent to me…. Why? Because I can only be awarded money from him when he has a LEGAL job!! OH OH AND OH YEA,
PAYS INCOME TAXES!
17 years Dontmatter, in 17 years NOT ONE DIME.
I bet he’s working…. ILLEGALLY!!!!!

123 Dangerous October 2, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Once again leave it to California, how pathetic!

124 Cruella October 2, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Interesting, If you enter the Mexico without an FMT, then you will be subject to a large fine and deportation.

125 Anon October 2, 2012 at 8:01 AM

@Tarmagen

This will be above your head, but there is no wind on the moon so nothing waves. However as I suspect you are yet another example of the revisionistic liberal education, I am not surprised that you are unaware of that fact. As well why have facts ever stopped idiots like you, like the difference between illegal and legal immigrants.

126 Tim Nourie October 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Send ALL illegals back to their country of origin now, and their illegal parents, grandparents, etc.

There are 13,000,000 unemployed Citizens in the US, and there are 12,000,000 employed illegals. Do the math. Get rid of them and you have 12 million more jobs to give back to the to citizens.

There should be NO path to citizenship for anyone here illegally. They must do it the right way, go home, and do the paperwork, pay the fees, etc., then: Welcome!! But no welcome until then. Illegals are NOT welcome here.

127 Anon October 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Read today’s paper, illegal Mexicans are not impressed with the offer, they want more.

128 Mother Hubbard October 3, 2012 at 3:50 PM

@ Atticus and don’t forget to feed your mangy cats FFS!