PHOTO: The Walnut Creek Man Who Hit & Killed a Pedestrian on Saturday

September 9, 2012 · 51 comments

The man who hit & killed 52-year-old Santa Barbara resident Sherry Hicks on North Main Street in Walnut Creek on Saturday night, has been released from the hospital and booked into the Contra Costa County Jail in Martinez, according to the Walnut Creek Police.

Hossein Tabrizi was charged with one count of vehicular manslaughter.

Another victim, who received major injuries, remains at John Muir Hospital in critical condition.

It is unknown if drugs and/or alcohol played a role in this crash.

Thanks to “Radar” for the pictures shown below, which were taken today at the scene of the crash.

To view photos of the suspect’s demolished truck after the crash, click HERE.

1 Terry Kremin September 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Hopefully to be followed with multiple charges of assault with a deadly weapon.

2 Steve Hart September 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

That stupid little smirk needs to be wiped off his face….with a 2 x 4 !

3 Noone Wins!! September 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Praying for all families involved ….

4 s.... September 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Wow i fell sorry for his Family . some of my friends that work at the hotel tell me that he was drunk very drunk.

5 Frank C. September 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

why does he already have a Mug Shot?

6 Roid Rage September 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

He looks like a used car salesmen….

7 Babs September 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Why doesn’t the police or DA go after the bar that let him leave while this drunk….isn’t there a law about not serving someone more drinks when they are this drunk or something like that????

8 Concord74 September 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

To All:
I guess I must have missed some reports, but after his hospital stay he was immediately charged w/one count of vehicular manslaughter and jailed. And David Rosen was released to his family and was allowed to run loose?
(Please do not spout off that Rosen was a juvenile!)

9 CLAYCORD.com September 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Rosen was actually arrested directly after the crash.

10 Newbie September 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Does anyone know anything about the second victim?

11 Elwood September 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM

@ #8

Babs, dear, not everyone gets drunk in a bar. Some people drink at parties. Some people drink at home. Some people drink at sporting events, etc. etc. etc.

12 Preacher September 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Walnut Creek Bars should be cited also if he was drinking at them. They should never let anyone leave drunk without a cab. Would love to know where he came from.
In these hard times people are self medicating and if you are drunk you are not thinking straight when you step into your vehicle.
Speeding is not a sign of being intoxicated.
Everyone needs to slow down and watch out for others, be courteous and a defensive driver.
Pedestrians also need to be aware at all times, the sidewalks are so small with barely any curbs. Never wear black at night and never assume someone sees you.

13 Miss Me September 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

#8 Read the article again! It makes no mention of the perp leaving a bar.

#2 & #5- It’s obvious this is his DL picture. Durrr.

14 karma September 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

@ rOID rAGE

WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE A MAN BY HIS FACE?
Let’s post yours so we can tell you what you look like to us.
he looks like a nice man who made a grave mistake.

15 SprayTHENaim September 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Yea, it’s illegal for bars to give you drinks when your obviously intoxicated, but you can leave in whatever and whenever you want. There is always the phone number of a taxi posted in a bar. If your at a bar your an adult.

16 O WOW September 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

That looks like a Driver licenses Photo not a mug Shot.Plus he does not have a scratch on him .Think about it people you saw the truck right .I sure his face got a little jacked up from the wreck

17 Roid Rage September 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Sorry, a new car salesmen, is that better.

18 anon September 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

#17 good points.

19 The Dude September 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

There’s been a lot of blaming WC bars and the police on here, when the only person responsible for this terrible event is pictured above.

20 Luna@925 September 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Concord74, As Mayor said, Rosen was arrested on the scene. But yes because he was a juvenile, if he was not charged within a certain number of hours, he had to be let go. I believe the reason for this is that juveniles can’t get bail, so they’re either charged and remanded, or they get let go until the DA decides what to charge with – which is what happened. At least this is what I remember from the discussion back in April. I assume this guy will get an arraignment? Hearing? Whatever. Where the judge will decide if he can get bail.

21 Preparation H September 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

@ ROID RAGE You should not judge a man by his job either. Most are lucky to even have
one!

22 Frank C. September 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM

sorry; I guess our DL photos are public if you have the bucks to shell out. As the mayor does as his business which is good thing.

23 Blame Game September 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I’m shaking my head at the numnuts who are bashing the WCPD and Walnut Creek bars for possibly contributing to this accident. Comments like the WC cops are lazy and should have prevented him from being behind the wheel or the bar that may have served him should have stopped letting him order drinks, etc.

Seriously? Are your brains on vacation? The man is an adult and if he was drinking, speeding or driving recklessly, it was his choice and now his karma. These comments are so utterly off the wall that one can only assume these people are trolls and deliberately trying to stir up s**t.

24 caskydiver September 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM

How sad….another tragedy resulting in multiple family members being victims while alongside a road. My prayers go out to all.

Looking at this guy’s picture makes me think of how he looks like your average person you’d meet in a store, in church, or wherever. So it is a reminder to us all that we all need to be more careful when driving. Driving is a responsibility we all need to take a bit more seriously and pay attention to what we’re doing when doing so.

25 faith September 9, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Sherry Hicks was a great woman who loved deeply. Her presence will be greatly missed, but she will never be forgotten. Sending love, support, and prayers to her whole family and daughter-in-law. You were truly a gift from God.

26 Canterbury resident September 9, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Tragic accident. Thank God we live in a country where we are innocent until PROVEN guilty. My prayers go out to the family and all involved.

27 Babs September 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Isn’t the law about bars also include people that give parties and someone leaves drunk? I guess we will have to wait to see if he was drinking alone and decided to drive or was at a friends or at a bar. I just wonder how many bars or people are ever charged with letting someone go away so drunk?

28 dog lover September 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Let’s move on from David Rosen. He is going to plead guilty. It is what it is. I don’t like it either. My heart breaks for the Hicks family

29 gjets September 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Our system will probably plea bargain with this punk and slap him on the hand. Remember our great criminal justice system now has crimes where people CANNOT be sentenced to prison, only county jail under (AB 109). Another winner decision our system has made. When he gets out and does this again he Cannot be sent to Prison only county Jail which our jails are a joke. Wake up California residents. For thse who made and enforce these laws, ask yourself if the victims were in your family, would you support these laws, I BET NOT!!!

30 Clasping Forehead September 10, 2012 at 4:09 AM

#26, maybe because the bottom half of his face looks so much like Dean Martin?

31 Alex September 10, 2012 at 5:11 AM

The killings in claycord and Walnut creek need to stop. our communities have had to deal with this twice now. These are close knitt communities and when something bad like this happens it hurts everyone. Words of hate and threats don’t help anybody. :(

32 What ever September 10, 2012 at 5:27 AM

@Babs #30
When will people like you see that the responsibilty is with the person who commited the crime. Why do you try to push it onto someone else? That is what is wrong with our country. People will not take responsibilty for their own actions. Look at our young ones. They know they don’t have to be responsible so they keep doing the bad things they do. Then grow up and end up in the prison system. I am tired of being made to pay for them.

33 #1mom September 10, 2012 at 7:04 AM

wow people. I t sad you can not even walk on the side walk anymore.Who are you to judge any one are you god no i pray pray for all even the driver…..

34 City Girl September 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I could be wrong, but I don’t think he is the owner of any business in CoCoCo. At least, there is no FBN in his name in this county.

35 so sad September 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM

@ 26 yes i do believe he is one of the brothers that owns it but i am trying to confirm.

36 Connie Dobbs September 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM

#40 No one on Claycord would do that.

37 LorrieStories September 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Walnut Creek Resident: Very Well said. Prayers need to be said for both sides. But there by the grace of God go I….

38 Chere September 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM

My apologies for the assumption.

39 Mimi (original) September 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM

My heart goes out to the deceased’s family and friends. And also to this man who lacked the wisdom to NOT get behind the wheel of a car. I’m sure he’s just a “joe average” guy with a family and friends, just like all of us. Accidents happen, now don’t jump all over me, because this WASN’T an accident, I know. He made a very poor choice and now multiple families must suffer. He will be brought to justice and pay the societal price. Again, my heart goes out to all involved.

40 anonamiss September 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM

News reports state that they still do not know all the circumstances of why this man ended up on the sidewalk and impaling his vehicle into two people and a pole. They are still investigating whether it was a medical condition, speeding, any substances in his system etc. etc. It will be interesting to find this out. My thoughts and best wishes are with the family at this time. They must be devastated…….

41 Babs September 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Whatever, take a chill pill, I never once stated this wasn’t his responsbility, I just want anyone who enabled him to go down too. No difference than DR getting charged for his bad behavior but also his parents should share responsiblity. geeeeez. Enablers are just as bad.

42 Is this guy in Jail....at Home.... September 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

or on his way back to Tehran…???

43 The Professor September 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Why are so many castigating the WC bars? He was traveling SOUTHBOUND on Main. That’s heading into WC, toward the bars (and shopping, dinner, theater, etc.).

He’ll get his due if he is found to have been under the influence. He’s got some serious problems even if he was stone cold sober with the manslaughter charges and the upcoming civil trial.

I do hope that the Hicks’ family can find peace.

44 Stunned September 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I am stunned by this tragic loss. The families involved are some of the nicest people I’ve ever been privileged to know. They have always gone above and beyond for their friends and families. I have no words for the sorrow I feel for Sherri Hicks, the young wife in critical condition, and their families.

45 Wisecracker September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Oh, yes, let’s start blaming the bars for stuff like this.
Whatever happened to being responsible for oneself and making the “right” decisions in life, such as, knowing when you should not drive when you’ve had too much to drink.

46 sara September 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

so stupid how this time tabrizi goes to jail everyone freaks out cause its a middle eastern killin a white lady but david rosen even tho he got arrested got out after the weekend after killing a father and daughter and leaving the other daughter in the hospital. our society is full of crap.

47 Freaking Out September 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Wow, Sara, do you have a lot of pent up frustration??? You know, I feel a moment of schitzophrenia coming on. No you don’t1 Yes, you do! No you don’t1 Yes, you do! Yes! No! Yes! No! Yes! No! Ahhhhhh….!

48 Walnut Creek neighborhood September 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM

All that I know now, the neighborhood of this man are also very sad. We all know him very well. Very friendly, helpfull and compasionate at all times. I guess he was just getting off work….
We are terrible shocked for the lost of that Lady and the condition for her daughter in law. What a really horrible accident. May Oh Lord help all people involved to get through this..Everybody will meet our maker who is the only One who will judge. Compassion people and pray!!

49 Anon2you September 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

@sara – What? Really? Are you making this a racial thing? Don’t go there, never crossed my mind that this guy is middle eastern, I don’t know what color or race the lady who died is, so no influence either. If you are going to bitch about “prejudice” then bitch that everyone is jumping to the conclusion that he was drunk. I still have not seen anything official that he was or was not, but almost all the post have indicated that he was without any evidence. I haven’t seen anything racist posted about him…Don’t play the race card, that is just stupid.

50 Hey #48....Tell us more about your neighbor... September 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM

maybe we won’t be so quick to crucify if we know a little bit more about him…..

51 Humberto Bun September 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

He IS a nice man. A gentle soul really. I hope and pray drugs and/or alcohol are not involved. This man would give you his last dollar if you needed it. Good people do bad things and make bad choices. He made a bad mistake and will end up paying for it. He did not mean to hurt anyone. I know him, he is a good dude.