Possible Fake Door-to-Door Salesman Near Concord High School

August 22, 2012 10:13 am · 27 comments

Residents near Concord High School are reporting a suspicious door-to-door salesman, who was making his way around the neighborhoods near the school on Tuesday afternoon.

Here’s one email we received about the man….

I live near Concord High School and just had a person at the door with (about four GE badges) clipped all over him.

There is a ADT alarm sign in the yard.  He said he was with GE and they did the service work for ADT.  He started to ask too many questions about my system and I didnt answer any of his.  I told him I would call ADT and he needed to leave.  I gave his description to the police and

thought I would send it along to you.  ADT said they wouldnt come to our house unless we asked, and indeed this was a phoney.

Too many badges, about 35-40 years old, blue shirt, tan walking shorts, white tennis shoes, clip board, caucasion, chipped upper teeth and talks with a studder. If this guys legit, I’ll be surprised.

Thanks for the note! NEVER give out any information on your alarm system to anybody going door-to-door.

1 Shuley August 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Probably legit sales guy. ADT and all of the alarm companies do contract to a bazillion different small companies trying to sell new systems or switch people over from others. He was likely asking a lot of questions so he could gain information about your service and then offer why his is better.

I’m not saying this guy isn’t creepy, they hire just about anyone.

I doubt too many burglars casing homes would go to that much trouble.

2 anon August 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM

You doubt that? Have you been reading claycord lately??

3 Anon August 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

We had someone from GE come to our door a few months ago in the state streets. I can’t remember what company he said he was representing but I just told him “not interested” and then reminded him of the no soliciting sign on my door which he chose to ignore. He was polite about it and left.

4 Robert August 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I had 2 similar guys come around my house 2 weeks ago? They had GE shirts on, claiming that GE manufactures the Alarm in my house (since I had the ADT sign). They wanted to update my sign, claiming it showed manufacture date of the alarm, which they claim theives look at. These 2 guys looked to be in theit 20’s, clean cut – but started asking a lot about my alarm. I told them I would call ADT if I wanted a new sign.

5 Anon August 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for taking the time to report this, very helpful.

6 Brian Griffin August 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I’m sorry I would have to agree. The sales person that came to my door was a fake sales person. when I answered the door he just stood there. I gave him a push and over he went. cardboard. totally fake.

7 FE August 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Same thing happened to a while back. Said he was with GE and was there to service my ADT alarm system. Funny thing, we have an ADT sign but no alarm system. Of course I didn’t tell him, just told him I wasn’t interested.

8 Shuley August 22, 2012 at 12:34 PM

@ anon #2

Yes, I have read claycord. Infact, We were burglarized just over a year ago. Kid knocked, thought no one was home and broke in through the back.

The difference is he did not go through the trouble of dressing up like a sales guy, carrying a clipboard with a sales pitch. Can you point to any instance where someone posing as a alarm sales person actually broke into a house?

9 anon August 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM

These people have nothing but time on their hands shuley, people with clip boards everywhere lately, knocking then staring in the windows and backyards so a shirt would not surprise me at all! All it takes is one gullible house owner to let them in and your house is cased. Done deal.

10 a.mom August 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Same happened in my neighborhood early this week. GE tags, clipboards, papers, pictures of different monitors. I told him I would call ADT with any questions and that ADT can replace my sign. He asked a lot of questions and I ignored him and said Good Bye. He kept pushing the idea my sign was old and that If I call ADT they will just send him right back and that ADT would charge me to get a new sign. He also tried to get an idea of what system we had.

11 Never Off Duty August 22, 2012 at 1:43 PM

@Shuley

The point isn’t that they are posing as alarm people, they just want to see if someone’s going to answer the door. The point of posing as an alarm salesman is to give him an alibi when someone actually answers the door so he’s not standing there with a stupid look on his face and nothing to show for why he’s there.

NEVER LET ANYONE YOU DON’T KNOW OR WHO DOESN’T DRIVE UP IN AN AMBULANCE, FIRE TRUCK, OR POLICE CAR IN YOUR HOUSE, FOR ANYTHING.

12 Dave August 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I am a salesman for an Alarm Company, locally. GE and ADT have somewhat linked together, not sure how, but they are. I noticed it on a TV ad. I personally don’t like to go door to door (because i don’t like door to door sales people), I just leave a door hanger with my card on it. They can call me if they interested.

13 Dutch August 22, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Shuley, could be that door to door salesman/woman you didn’t suspect was casing your joint before you were burglarized. Anyone, actually, that may not look suspicious could be casing your joint. Beware. But seriously, most people that have bad things happen to them aren’t cautious enough (just an observation from over 50+ years). I know when I let my guard down bad things have happened. Wise up guy and stop trying to pretend that you’re wise.

14 Use your cellphone cameras, people! August 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Why aren’t people taking photos of these door-to-door solicitors or phoney service guys? There are so many ways photos could be useful in case of crimes. What if a thief’s description matched one of these guys who had been in the neighborhood a few days prior? Someone with very specific identifying marks, like a unique tattoo or unusual facial feature?

With the size/speed of cellphone cameras, it shouldn’t be hard to snap a quick pic, even if it’s not face on or up close.

If, say ADT states it didn’t send anyone out and there’s a guy rooting around your yard saying he’s checking your ADT alarm system, that’s a no-brainer for taking, then sending a photo to both ADT and the police.

Think smarter, don’t be a victim!

15 Mac August 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I think it`s time to stop door to door sales people.

Like the Milk Man delivering the milk, it`s time has passed.

A high percentage of people don`t want or need anyone bugging them at their front doors to sell them things.

And a high percentage of these sales people are there to rip you off. (in many ways)

So unless you are wearing a Girls scout uniform, “Don`t even bother knocking on my door”….It`s a waste of your time, and mine

16 Chicken Little August 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I had one of those guys come to my door recently. He saw my Bay Alarm yard sign and was offering me an “upgrade” to whatever crap he was selling. He asked me questions about whether it was monitored, wireless, etc. I told him it was almost new, worked superbly, and wasn’t in need of upgrading. All this while he was standing about 20 feet down my front walk because my dog answered the door with me.

17 Screwy Louie August 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

One of those guys came to my door back when I lived in Pitt.
He told me he could upgrade the system that was built into my house.
I told him I already upgraded to the “Glock 9″ system.
Took him a second before he scurried away.

18 Shuley August 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

@ Dutch – Nope, the dumb kid that broke in was wrong when he thought nobody was home. He never posed as a salesperson. Now, he rots in prison. My point was the original story didn’t sound suspicious. If he was looking for an empty home, why stand there and try to close a sale? He would have said thank you and walked away.. Plus, ADT does not send people out, small alarm services that sell ADT contracts do all of the time. ADT would have no idea who is selling their services. These same guys have been to my house more than once. They always wear a blue shirt, Khakis and say they work for GE.

My point is that I don’t live is fear and paranoia that anytime anyone comes to my door, I think they are casing my home and I feel the need to answer the door with a gun. When I was younger, I did some time selling door to door. Often, I ran into paranoid A-holes like some of the folks here on Claycord. But usually, most people were at least polite and somewhat sympathetic to the fact that my job sucked. It’s a tough economy out there and there are a lot of LEGITIMATE people selling door to door right now. I always answer the door, politely say “no thank you and good luck”.

19 Lari August 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM

We have ADT and a few years ago my husband answered the door and chatted with a young man about his company (which I never heard of) having a deal for cellular alarm protection. My husband even allowed him behind our gate to see where our phone line was because the guy said thieves can easily cut that and then we would have no alarm protection. I was pretty mad that my husband did that (he thinks I’m paranoid), so when the guy returned a day later to speak to me about it, I basically listened and told him I would speak to ADT about this. He got very pushy at this point…saying that if ADT did not already tell us about this product/protection, they were not a good company, blahblah. I guess he felt like he clued us in on something and we were now going with another company. He even did this weird laugh at the end, as I was politely shutting the door on him, saying something like, “OK, if you don’t want to save money…hahahahahah”. We actually saved with ADT since we were already customers.

20 @Shuley aka Potty Mouth August 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM

News bulletin. This isn’t the same world as when you were selling door to door. We’re not paranoid, we’re realists. The bad economy has lead to a big growth in the number of scammers posing as survey takers, sales people, service people, etc. looking to relieve us of our hard-earned possessions. I think a lot of con artists see this as easy pickins.

I don’t think most of us are paranoid, we’re just being smart and cautious because this is so common now. Thank goodness for Claycord that we can compare notes as neighbors.

21 Howard K Mullins III August 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Just ask if they have a license, if you even answer the door. They don’t.

I feel sorry for the kids, they have been sold a bill of goods by someone. Terrible way to treat people. Door to door sales is the worst.

22 Anon August 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM

My clip board is legit and damn, you would be surprised where it takes me.

But bad teeth is never a good sign.

23 Dorothy August 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I’ve had phone calls from guys who say they were GE and they made the system I use. The letters GE can stand for anything, not just General Electric and the guys on the phone never actually say “General Electric.” Each time they call, I tell them to send me their info in the mail since if they have my phone number, they must also have my address. Then I call my security people and tell them what the guys are saying. But my security people said they have heard about other complaints of guys posing as GE, saying they made the security system, and would like to sell me an upgrade.

In a word, it’s a SCAM.

24 cb August 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM

@ BRIAN GRIFFIN……OMG THAT WAS HILARIOUS. I LAUGHED OUT LOUD AND WOKE MY SNORING HUSHAND. UGHHH SUCH A HORRIBLE DAY TODAY, REALLY NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH!!!!!!!
THANKS

25 anonanonagain August 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I had a young man come to my door asking about my alarm system that was very different from the many local companies providing service here. I found it a little odd that he was asking me if my windows were alarmed or entry ways. When I obviously was immovable on my opinion of his company and services, he left…..

26 anonatnight August 23, 2012 at 2:54 PM

We live over by CHS and my 14 year old happened to open the side door of our house today, and an “Indian man” was standing there muttering something about being from a church and wanting our “contact” information. No cars were in the driveway and the guy certainly had no business being in our side yard. My son asked him to leave and he did, but I told him next time, CALL THE POLICE! The guy was obviously casing our house. Guess the ADT signs aren’t a deterrant? Curious if that fits the description of the guy other people are talking about?

27 Ruby Altamirano August 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The same guy just came to my house on Stephanie Ct/Blenheim on Monday 8/27th!! He was trying really hard to get inside my house but I didnt let him in! I hope this SOB gets caught!!!!