Popeye’s & Arco/AMPM Plan to Build on the Corner of Ayers & Clayton Road

July 26, 2012 22:00 pm · 117 comments

Popeye’s & Arco/AMPM have submitted plans to the City of Concord to build a new restaurant and gas station/store on the corner of Ayers & Clayton.

As you can tell from the plans given to the city, the gas station will be along Clayton Road, and the Popeye’s & AM/PM will be near the back wall of the property, along with the drive-thru for Popeye’s.

Nothing has been finalized, so plans could still fall through, but we’re hearing they’d like to open in 2013.

Popeye’s also has plans to build a restaurant in North Concord, near the Chevron station at Willow Pass & Evora, just off highway-4.

101 Jay 'Chef' Hicks July 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

When I was in Honolulu last week I counted 4 Popeye’s restaurants. Ghetto my ass! Food was just as good at the San Pablo Dam Rd. location as it was at the Kalakaua Ave location. Clean restaurants, polite & efficient staff.

102 Cowellian July 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

know one spoke English?

There seems to be a lot of that going around.

103 Clayho July 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Um, sonic said it. Let’s get to the point. Why is Concord so full of poor folks? Is it because there are a lot of folks without college degrees that are unemployed from the construction industry bust? It seems like everyone and their mother either works in construction, real estate, mortgages, or something related. We need to stop hyperventilating about selling people things and diversify.

104 Rooster Head July 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

@ Cuppa Coffee #100

Terry Kremin @ #94, never said In-N-Out was looking to build at this particular location.

105 my experience July 28, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Oh great another crappy place to eat in Concord. :( I feel like Concord is just getting more ghetto.

106 Grewah July 28, 2012 at 11:21 PM

OMG!!!!! YES!!! Popeyes, Popeyes, Popeyes. I love the chicken and more the red bean and rice. I hate going to downtown Oakland or Vacaville to get my fix.

107 Grewah July 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Plus I like there food much more than the sainted Olive Garden. Carp American/Italian food.
How many of the people responding here have ever went past this corner. Talk about urban blight. Lets get something in there worthwhile

108 Sounds good, depends July 29, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Gas station yes, AM/PM yes, but why fast food???? Put in another starbucks drive thru, or panera drive thru, something that isn’t so ghetto! They are going to redo Mcdoald’s too, ugg get rid of it. Homeless like it there. We need more family restaurants down clayton road.

109 Fat Little Wendy July 29, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Ghetto! Ghetto, Ghettodi Ghetto!! Ghetto….. buzz word……….. GHETTO!

110 Sherry July 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM

My concern about this is that crime on Clayton Rd by McDonalds, Nations, IHop, and other restuarants is getting worse and worse. Someone even smassed a car’s windows to steal a wheelchair at 2 in the afternoon a few weeks back. Before that, peope were vandalizing cars at La Tapatia resulting in helicopter searches. We personally have had encounters with homeless who were drunk trying to go to Ihop. More fast food and not enough done to control crime will just dram more trouble over here. I feel sorry for the existing restuarants as the crime and homeless are driving customers away already. Don’t need more of same.

111 Sherry July 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Smassed should be smashed; dram should be draw.

112 Concord Mom July 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Why not Chick-Filet? At least their chicken tastes good, nearest one is in Fairfiled. We already have KFC. I don’t care about their political viewpoints. I despise when politics gets involved with my lunch.

113 @Honey Badger July 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I could care less about the racial demographics of the Popeye’s locations. If you want to project your personal hangups into my comments, that’s your problem.

Just look at a map of the Bay Area Popeye’s restaurants – none of them are areas I spend much time in.

@yummy yum yum #99 – I’m proud to call myself a food snob if it means someone who cares enough about their body to not eat fast food on a regular basis. Do me a favor and rent Morgan Spurlock’s “Supersize Me,” and see what a 30-day McDonald’s diet did to his body, besides packing 20 pounds on him. Then rent Fast Food Nation. I’m not a food snob, I’m just educated and not one of the sheeple who eat fast food without thinking of the long-term effects.

114 Honey Badger July 31, 2012 at 7:29 AM

“Just look at a map of the Bay Area Popeye’s restaurants – none of them are areas I spend much time in”

Well excuuuuuuse me! and pass the Grey Poupon.

115 Scoots July 31, 2012 at 7:37 AM

#113…….Funny how that website posted “Urban Spoon” only shows Popeye’s locations in urban areas. No mention of all the locations east of interstate 680. So what was that definition of ghetto again?

116 hj August 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I guess it’s better than an empty lot. As someone else said, beggars can’t be choosers. Would prefer something that doesn’t attract late night losers but not sure what else one might build on a corner such as that.

117 @hj August 2, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Desperation calls for desperate measures. But I am sure this was well thought out. You have to have the right the right business in the right place to have certain clientele. But, in that location–I believe it will do very well.