“Remember When?” – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com – 7/12/2012

July 12, 2012 14:00 pm · 40 comments

“Remember When?” is a feature on Claycord that’ll be posted every Thursday afternoon at 2pm.

We’ll post a recent picture from around Claycord, and you’ll tell us the history of the object(s) in the photo.

OK, let’s start….Remember when there was a skate park in front of what is now the InShape Health Club on Clayton Road in Concord, near Clayton Valley Bowl? By the way, the skate park was a completely different place than RollerWorld, which is now Centre Concord.

This will be fun for long-time Claycordians, and it’ll also help teach new Claycordians a little history about our area.

Your turn to talk about the objects in the photo!….

1 Living in Claycord July 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Love this new feature Mr. Mayor – thanks a lot! Don’t remember the skate park, though. I became a Claycord resident in 1987.

2 13th B-Day Party July 12, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Old Concord Skatepark was one of my best birthday ever, Mom took me and 3 friends, skated all day, funny thing was my friend was in the camper eating lunch and she took off home and didn’t know he was in the back untill he popped out and and said to take him back to Concord she was a little pissed we lived in Antioch at the time.

R.I.P. good ol Peanut Bowl and Snake run…

3 anon July 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I loved the roller rink :)

4 Seal July 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Seems like good times! :-)

5 shoot_the_duck July 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Skate Park? You mean Rollerworld? As a kid, I remember on your way in they had a sign that read, “Please Put Your Gum Here” and had a trash can below it. Of course, there was ABC gum pegged all over the sign…and they never cleaned it!

6 spiritdog July 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

My best memory was a day spent with my young nephew there. It was a blast! That was a long time ago. Still, I remember the enjoyment of something so simple as just going round and round and round.

7 buttofcourse July 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Yes. I do remember Rollerworld. Fun times. I had many a fun date there. I was sad when it closed. I was sad when the mini golf place closed too. Sigh…

8 TnT runner July 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM

It was called Roller World! It had beautiful brown carpet on the floor and the walls. I miss that place.

9 CLAYCORD.com July 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM

There was also a skateboard park there.

10 DD July 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Bowled a 227 there when I was sixteen (the Bowling Alley that is, not Rollerworld.)

11 WC44 July 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Rollerworld and the skateboard park were different. Those two cultures did not mix. Pretty cool sunken pool type set up at the skateboard park. Add in the loss of mini-golf and you have a crime against today’s youth.

12 OOOHYEEAAHH!! July 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Use to go every Fri. & Sat. Luv that place, darn good on them 4 wheels. So good I tripped on someones shoes going to the tables, hit a bench & cracked my ribs. Dumb asses for leaving s__t in the middle isles. Didn’t stop me though.

13 GINA July 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM

i remember when the bowling alley and kinney shoes were the only buisnesses in the lot, i used to live on kenwall rd right behind the bowling alley, we used to walk across the empty field to the bowling alley, does anyone remember kinney shoes being there? wow how concord has changed since i was small.

14 Becky July 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Yep rollerworld was the happening place on Fri and Sat. nights. I agree with butofcourse too. I miss the miniture golf course. That was the first date I went on with my husband at the time. Good times.

15 Cindy July 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I remember Rollerworld…….but not the skatepark?? what year are we talking??

16 WASP July 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Was to little to roll my skateboard into the pools, but remember standing outside the fence watching the older kids rip on their skateboards. Wished that place was around when I was old enough to hit it.

17 Chester E. Kitty July 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I remember Roller World! Used to go with my church youth group all the time. Fun times!! I hate that Concord has no roller skating rink, ice rink or mini golf anymore.

And I do remember Kinney Shoes up that way too. I do not remember the skate park but I wasn’t into skate boards so that’s not a surprise.

Anyone remember TG&Y? Loved that store!

18 IUsedToLiveInConcord July 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I moved to Kenwal Rd. in 1980 just towards the very end of the skatepark……..It was there but they tore it down a few months later….although, how do you tear down a skatepark??……anyway, I remember a huge hardware store being there next and then a fitness club after that……..I only went to Roller World once…….wasn’t much into roller skating……..I do have fond memories of getting kicked out of Clayton Valley Bowl for being too hard on the pinball machines, though…….fun times.

19 Applestacker July 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Yes the skate park was there from about 1975? till about 1980. It was similar to what the cities call skate parks now but not nearly as kid friendly much bigger and badder….. Of course this was back in the day most real skaters as in skateboards also surfed….Mix skaters and roller skaters like trying to mix oil and water.
At that time skate parks were run as any other business no city involvement I believe changes in insurance laws brought the demise of the for profit skate parks.

20 From Concord July 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I remember getting our school shoes at that Kinneys Shoe store, and I also remember TG&Y!!!.
Clayton Bowl is not a safe place to go anymore, too many little wanna-be gang bangers.

21 Local girl since 1979 July 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Never went to the Skatepark but did go to Rollerworld- it was the place to go!! We made pop poms for our skates and couldnt wait to go round and round for hours! We love the miniture golf too as well as the Ice Rink in the mall and the downstairs movie theater. We used to hop on the bus durning the day time and go all over Concord to get to these places… Thats when kids could hop on a bus and feel safe going around town- if someone strange was on the bus everyone keep an eye on everyone else to make sure nothing happened!

22 KenInConcord July 12, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Not many people know that the Skate park office and retail store,

Whs moved down Marsh Creek road and is Became the building Rodies Feed is currently in.

Also. I’m ashamed to admit I was a hard core roller world “rink rat”. Now I’m 50 years old and I still can Rex!!!

Other 50+ crowd might think its cool. My kids just pretend they don’t know me!!

23 KenInConcord July 12, 2012 at 6:33 PM

By the way my friend (former rink employee), has the “put your gum here” sign hanging in his garage.

24 anon July 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I remember Rollerworld not the skate park. AND I agree Clayton Valley Bowl, is not what it used to be. Way to many drunks, on any given day at all times.

25 Concord1963 July 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I hear there IS a mini-golf in Concord – its an inside course situated in an ex-lingerie store on Salvio.

I don’t remember the skateboard park – but DO remember rollerworld :).

26 JustMe July 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I don’t remember the skate park, but I do remember Roller World. We used to have birthday parties there.

27 anon July 12, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I remember hearing that the skate park was closed because a kid was injured and the parents sued the owner. Insurance was too expensive after that so they closed.

28 big brown July 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM

anyone rember True Value hardware where the gym is now..

29 big brown July 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

ghost golf its a joke.

30 claytonnative July 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I do remember the IN-SHAPEalue Hardware store and the skatepark was situated right where the driveway goes in front of Monument Car Parts. Remembered one winter someone covered the drins during a storm and it was quite a pool in there! Good days

31 UH1Vce160 July 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I remember the skate park and the bar/club on the corner of Alberta Way and Clayton Rd. There was not a lot at this end of Concord.

32 Diablo July 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM

The skate park was called Winchester, somewhere I have my membership card for there. An injury followed by a lawsuit brought it to an end.

33 GardenGal July 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM

If anyone has pictures of the old skate park or Rollerworld I would love to see them because I don’t think I remember them! Age will get you every time! We moved to Concord from Martinez in 1983, and to Clayton in 1994. I remember the ice rink at Sun Valley Mall and we lived blocks from the miniature golf course on Clayton Road.

34 CJ July 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM

@Diablo:
Unless it changed names after it was open for awhile (and it very well may have) the skatepark was called Spinnin’ Wheels. I got my membership card and sky blue T-shirt the first Saturday it was open.

35 skippy July 13, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Sure do remember it, heck, I remember when it was still an open field!

36 Rick T July 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I remember the skate park.

I was very young, born in 75 so was probably 4 or 5 when we used to drive by it and I would see it, I remember how it looked like it was a giant empty pool with canals, it was very cool – you don’t see those anymore!

It was located directly on the property where In Shape fitness is located.

Originally was the skate park, then the bulldozed it/filled in the canals.
Then the new building (current bldg) was built – which was True Value hardware. Then it closed and reopened as Diablo Athletic Club. Then Clayton Valley Athletic Club (i worked there washing towels and cleaning when i was in h.s.). Then it was Maverick’s Athletic Club. Then it became In Shape fitness – which is there today.

37 MIss Ranchogirl July 13, 2012 at 7:47 AM

wow, Concord has changed.
There is a indoor mini golf on Salvio, across from Brendan Theaters parking garage. Ghost golf is a lot of fun, but it only lasts maybe 15-20 minutes. It’s too small compared to a regular mini golf.

38 had to say it-- July 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Does anyone else remember when the Olive Garden was located in that center– between kinney”s shoes and the bowling alley?

39 JJ July 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Haha!! Good old Rollerworld!! Fun times were had there! There is actually a Rollerworld Concord group on Facebook if anyone wants to join. I LIVED there, everyday, took skating lessons, skated in the sessions, and had a great time! I sure miss that place. I do know Rollerworld closed due to the cost of insurance. Sad. The only downside for me was that my mom worked there so I couldn’t get away with ANYTHING!!

@KenInConcord – don’t be ashamed to admit you were a rink rat!!!! We were the coolest EVER!!! Lol!! I can still Rex, and yes my son acts the same as your kids!! But it was good fun!! BTW…who has that gross sign???

40 Nik July 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Tri-school dances at RollerWorld :)