Vehicle Pursuit Ends in Concord with Dog Bite by Concord Police K9

June 30, 2012 8:31 am · 24 comments

A vehicle pursuit that stkYarted in Walnut Creek ended in Concord at about 2:45 on Saturday morning after police “pitted” the vehicle and released the CPD K9.

The chase, according to Concord Police, ended on Detroit Avenue. The pursuit was off & on for about 30 minutes throughout Walnut Creek and Concord while the suspect tried to evade the authorities.

The suspect vehicle did crash into a Volvo in Concord, but no major injuries were reported. The suspet’s name hasn’t been released at this time.

To listen to the end of the chase, please click ON THIS LINK.

UPDATE: Concord Police tell us the suspect is 36 year old Pleasant Hill resident Steve Duarte.

They also say one Officer suffered minor injures and two patrol cars also suffered damage.

1 Me June 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM

2 Me June 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Good job to the police and K9. Fundraising event for local k9 units today and tomorrow at Pet Food Express! Help keep these pups safe on the streets so they can apprehend more scumbags!!!!

3 anon June 30, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I had fallen asleep with the scanner on and woke to hear the chase. It was actually fascinating. Thank God it was the middle of the night. The officer that was “chasing” him kept the dispatcher informed where they were every few blocks with the speed they were traveling and reporting on traffic in the area. That guy was all over the place through W.C., Concord, and Pleasant Hill. Glad the dog bite was the only injury. Good job officers!

4 Nothing Original For a Name.. June 30, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Hopefully the one who did the work last night will get a good nap today before/after/or during one of the events!

It woke me up this morning, think it was the first time they were on Detroit (as I heard the sirens getting fainter and fainter en mass), took a few seconds for my brain to figure it out as there were so many sirens. I’ve gotten so used to them all being fairly in sync with one another, but this was a whole other level! Then again, my brain is on a whole other level at 2:30 in the morning….

Mildly entertaining as it would have woken me up at my usual house sitting gig as well since it’s right off San Luis in Walnut Creek! Guess I was doomed for shitty sleep last night, regardless of where I laid my head 😛

5 flapjack June 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Mayor! Thanks for the scanner link!Awesome! Did they use the new tank?

6 Anon2 June 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I woke up to sirens about 2:30 this morning. It seemed like the noise continued for five minutes or more. It sounded like they were coming from Oak Park Blvd. or Pleasant Hill Road. Great job CPD!

If the pursuit started in Walnut Creek, did Police from other jurisdictions participate?

Do we know why the Police initiated pursuit and who they arrested?

7 Anonamomma June 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Which K9 gets credit for the bite?

8 nunya June 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM

So when is it police protocol to stomp in peoples heads? Wow I hope I never
See the officers beat anyone like this again

9 nunya June 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I believe there was 2 people in the car. Police chase thru 4 cities. Dude hit someone in Concord and franquette who was injured

10 Duck June 30, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Awesome job CPD and the K9 team !
I love hearing the rush in the officers and dispatchers voice,when things are going down…….The only thing I would like about being a cop is rush they get durring events like this.

My wife bought me a scanner as a gift not long ago, I am hooked on it now !

Whoever posted the link to this scanner event, could you PLEASE make a tutorial on how you post the scanner link for us ?
It really adds a lot to the story !
Thank you.
Duck

11 Kyle June 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I got off work last night about that time and live on Detroit. I was lucky because they were one building away from blocking my apartments

12 Nunya #8 June 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

WTF you talking about….go away ya PEUKE..!

13 Paul June 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The next DUI/Drivers License Checkpoint should be right on Detroit or in that area. I bet they would catch a lot of drivers who are uninsured or driving with no driver license!

14 Sold June 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM

We kept hearing it here in Pleasant Hill up and down CC blvd, they would leave and then come back. It sounded pretty crazy.

15 proud mommy June 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Good job CPD!
Was listening to the whole thing!

16 DoReMi June 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

What? Another criminal apprehended by a doggie bite? Hot diggitity!

XX’s and OO’s

17 Too bad they didn't give Fido some "Quality Time"... June 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM

with the driver….come back in 15 minutes with a squeegee and a couple of trash bags….

18 MikeT June 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I always love it when the dog wins!!

19 SeenThis June 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I SAW THIS….I was coming home last night and was on market street stopped at red light by 242 on ramp. My light turned green and as I started to go I happened to look to my left and saw this grayish or blueish like looking car hauling a** toward me and the car next to me and right away i knew he wasnt gonna stop so we both stopped and he blew right through the red light onto the 242 on ramp just missing our cars by maybe a few feet. About 10-15 seconds later 3 cop cars went by chasing him. The guy didnt even look to his left or right side as he flew through the interestion just kept looking straight. He had to be going about 80 it seemed. Im just glad I saw him before I proceeded farther into the interestion cuz he was going so fast I know if he would had hit me it would have been right in my drivers side and it probably would have killed me and him from the impact. Thank god that didnt happen and my son still has his mother.

20 AoD July 1, 2012 at 5:50 AM

That chase was loud as hell! woke my girlfriend, and I out of a dead sleep. The chase went through a residential area, and went back on to Monument Blvd. The police were yelling at the driver over the loudspeaker (intercom) to pull over numerous times.

21 Antler July 1, 2012 at 7:16 AM

DoReMi at #16 ~ ~ ~ I always react the same way as you! And it’s very scary because I’m such a mild-mannered omnivore really! Wonder exactly how much wolf DNA is coursing wildly through our bodies, responding wildly to instinct, casting aside all decorum, leaping from cliffs, transporting across the eons, tearing the bad guys apart limb from limb – – – – –

Oh, wait……wrong script. 🙂

22 JRConcord July 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM

as always get the dog a shot for rabies, you never know what these degenerates have got swimming in their ,I mean blood stream.

23 Missy July 1, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows, Does the jail have a link for inmate listings or is there a mugshot photo available online? I would appreciate a link if anyone knows of one? Thanks!

24 MDF July 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM