Helicopter Above Concord – Replacing Air-Conditioning Unit on Building

June 30, 2012 9:11 am · 17 comments

A helicopter was above Concord on Saturday morning replacing an air-conditioning unit on one of the tall buildings downtown.

Thanks to Jodi for the photos, which you can click on for a larger view.

brinke June 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

We’re pretty close to that area, they sounded like big choppers.

Sinn Feiner June 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I just got my first estimate last week for central heating & A/C in my house. $8,900!!! I wasn’t expecting it to be that much. I’m going to get a few more estimates because they said they will beat it.

Paul (formerly) in South Concord June 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Looks like on old Choctaw! Damn, bummed I missed out on seeing her, especially doing a lift, that woulda been cool.

RanchgirlCA June 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I knew if I came here I’d find out what was going on. Thanks Mr. Mayor.

Sean Legan June 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Yep that’s my buddies lifting a cooling tower on the old bofa bldg.

@sinn feiner June 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM

try whole house fan..

Clean the lens June 30, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Because a camera is on a phone it means the lens gets pretty dirty and greasy from being in a purse, pocket or just by being on the phone. So many pictures could come out much better when you clean the lens before using it. Even if you just wipe it real quick.

DoReMi June 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM

That AC will not do anyone good if the rolling blackouts start up because of overload on the grid. Massive population growth has assured this to be a part of our future.

Dragon June 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Sinn Feiner – I believe it. I got my heater/AC unit replaced the winter after I bought this place. Thank goodness my home warranty covered it, because it would have been about $6000, not including permits and fees and all that stuff. Oh, and the city permit to close off the street for the crane to lift the thing on top of the roof.

Some other owners in my complex have had new units installed for between five and seven thousand dollars. I’d definitely look around for more quotes, if I was you – I’ve had good experiences with All City Heating (they installed my unit) and Cal something Heating (they’ve done a few minor repairs).

anon June 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Call Kel-Aire….ask for a guy named Cowboy….really good work and very polite guy

Thanks Obama June 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Thanks to Obama, I got mine replaced a couple of years ago, took the tax credit, and got my first fed refund since I can’t remember.

J.M. June 30, 2012 at 9:37 PM

@Sean Legan. That was not the old BofA building. It was One Concord Centre.

Barbie Dahl June 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Helicopter replaces an air conditioning unit? Pardon me, I know a helicopter makes one helluva wind, but I think just getting a new air conditioner would be cheaper!

Amanda July 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Imlive in dt concord behind park and shop and that helicopter woke me up about 9 this morning! It was quite loud!!

Concord1963 July 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

@Barbie Dahl:

LOL!!!! TOO Funny!!! Sounds like a good blonde joke to me (no offense to anyone). 🙂

Bubba 94521 July 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM

That pilot was real deal. He held that thing absolutely steady. Those units are so big that they can’t go up the freight elevator. Really nice job guys.

Antler July 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Wish I could have seen this.
Many years ago, I did watch helicopters used in logging a very steep canyon on Scott Mountain in Trinity County. Traffic had to be stopped, and we got to talk with some of the employees while waiting. One said the helicopter pilots were Vietnam war veterans and that the whole thing scared the @%^% out of him to watch!