Funny & Creepy Photo: The Ice Cream Truck at Cowell Park Says “Watch Children”

June 29, 2012 8:00 am · 18 comments

We got this photo of a creepy ice cream truck at Cowell Park in Concord from an anonymous Claycordian.

Somebody needs to get a sharpie and put a “for” in between “watch” & “children”.

1 States Street Resident June 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Or an “I” in front of Watch…

2 Chicken Little June 29, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Somebody probably thought it was funny to peel off the word “for”.

3 Paul (formerly) in South Concord June 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Wow. That does look like it was written with a Sharpie or Magic Marker, in the first place, doesn’t it? Can’t tell from the pic if “for” was there or not. Probably just a “grammar barrier” issue (as opposed to language barrier)… but a bit comical, yes.

4 DR June 29, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Actually that’s a pretty common phrase, seen on signs in cities all over.

5 MR C June 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Some of these vans look mighty shady to provide a service to the kids. Dont like the looks of em myself.

6 Tea Party June 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Oh yeah, broken speakers playing old time kiddie tunes….

7 Antler June 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

….then there’s the ice cream truck which plays “The Cockroach” when it drives through Bishop Estates! Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwww…….

8 Dragon June 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM

That truck goes through my neighborhood all year long, playing its little tune and then some girl’s voice comes at the end of the recording saying “HELLOOOOO?”

It’s SO creepy. The truck, the voice, the whole thing. I have no evidence whatsoever, but I wouldn’t be surprised if ice cream wasn’t the only thing he sold out of that truck.

9 Sinn Feiner June 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

That’s funny!

10 Enough Already! June 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

EWWWWWWWWWWWW REALLY CREEPY!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

11 Jim June 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

OK this is a warning…this is going to gross some of you out so maybe stop here….ANYWAY…We use to live in another neighborhood where the ice cream truck was pretty regular but we’d always ignored it but decided since it was a VERY hot day decided to join the crowd. As we waited in line to get some ice cream a car came racing up…a VERY angry woman got out and pushed us all back and told the guy to get moving…she told him if she saw him again she’d call the cops…We were all in shock but he jumped into the driver’s seat and took off…fast…then she told us what was going on… As her daughter and her were stepping up to his van on their street they said the “ice cream Man” get up from the driver’s seat to move to the back and she saw him “adjust himself” INSIDE his jeans…She told him to get lost and to leave the neighborhood. She then decided to make sure he was gone and saw him on our street and decided to inform us and call him out. We weren’t sure whether to believe her but she was adamant. The family who’d gotten served tossed out their Ice cream….Anyway, ever since then we have NEVER let out children buy from them.. Gross and scary but it’s soured us to ever have ice cream from an old van again

12 BusBoy June 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Loosen that tinfoil hat man. Next time you shake a guys hand wonder where he’s been or where his hand has been. Better yet… dont EVEN think about touching paper currency from now on lol Other than that the worlds a scary place. Pick up your skirt, put your big girl panties on and go about your day there much worse to think about.

13 Permits? June 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Can I safely assume the City requires each of these vendors to have a permit?

14 Lori June 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Funny and Creepy? I think not……Creepy NOT funny.

15 Paul (formerly) in South Concord June 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM

@ Permits? #13…

Look at the photo. On the upper-ish, left side of the van, you’ll see 5 stickers in various colors. I think that those indicate that the annual permit/license (don’t know what they call it) fees have been paid. No clue what’s required, or if the vehicle is inspected, or whatever. I had one that lived on our old street and I remember him being very happy whenever he got a new one.

16 Concernicus June 29, 2012 at 8:33 PM

no, no, folks! this is a memo for modern parents. nothing to be alarmed by.

17 Anon June 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

When I was a kids I was afraid of the ice cream man. I took the sign beware of childed as he was bad and kidnapped them

18 Cowellian June 30, 2012 at 7:24 AM

The summer after my second year of college, I drove a Popsicle truck. It was an old converted Western Electric truck, with no doors and no seatbelts. I had to get out of the truck and climb onto the back to actually sell anything. Popsicles were 12¢, except cherry was only a dime. Ice cream treats were more expensive. I didn’t make any money, but it sure was a fun job.