Column: The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

June 28, 2012 14:00 pm · 31 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

This week, I want to talk about people watching….

I had to go to DMV this week to renew my license, and had to take a written test, which I passed with flying colors.

Anyway, while I was waiting (for an hour and 20 minutes), I did a lot of people watching.

One woman in paticular, who walked in at the same time I did, had a bad attitute from the start, and boy did she let the entire DMV know she was not about to wait more than 10 minutes to be helped.

When she first walked in she headed for the information desk, and with a very loud voice, said “I need to get a new license”. The lady at the counter told her to take a number and the woman then said “I’m in a hurry so you need to do it now”. The DMV employee responded by saying “if you’re in a hurry then you should have made an appointment”. At that point the woman started to get a little crazy, saying “I pay your salary and you need to show me respect”. The idiot lady finally sat down, and I sat far away, but could still hear her complaining about the “service”, which really wasn’t all that bad.

Another person who was waiting wouldn’t stop picking his nose. It wasn’t one of those subtle nose picks where you pretend like you’re just rubbing your nose while sticking a little bit of your finger inside, it was a full pick, that he wiped on his chair after every dig.

I people watch a lot, almost everywhere I go. I like to see what other people are like, and wonder how they became who they are. How does a woman think it’s ok to berate a person who is just trying to do his or her job, and why would a man think it’s ok to wipe his disgusting nose leakage on his seat, where others sit?

Do you like to people watch? If so, tell me your stories about some of the characters out there.

Moving on….

A few things I saw around Claycord this week:

• I saw a kid riding a unicycle. He was pretty good at it. The only bad thing was he was riding in the street and didn’t have a helmet. Has anybody else seen this kid?
  • It seems like every single time I’m in front of an ambulance or fire truck with its lights & sirens on, there is always somebody that doesn’t pull over and let them through. People people people, let the emergency vehicles through so they can do their job! Somebody needs them. Pulling over for a second won’t make you any later getting home so you can just sit on your couch! PULL OVER!!

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• If you ever throw a bridal/baby shower, buy a pack of thank you cards for the guest of honor. During the party, pass out the envelopes and have everyone put their address on them. When the bride/new mother sends the thank you’s, they’re all addressed!

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

This week, it’s an Apricot Pie (in honor of Claycordian “jtkatec”)! I’ve never made one before, so wish me luck. I will let you know next week how it turned out.

-The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 Jim June 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Got to agree with you on the emergency vehicles…people need to move…I always think, what would you do if they were going to your house and you found out later they were “to late”…all because you didn’t want to yield….how would you live with the guilt?

2 chaaa June 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM

People watching?

Its called rudely staring like a moron.

3 jtkatec June 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Someone actually reads what I post? How odd.

Thanks, anyway.

4 Cindy June 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

A few years ago while stopped at a traffic light, I turned to look at the car on my right. The grown man behind the wheel was picking his nose then put his finger in his mouth. I know I made a face but I’m sure he was too preoccupied to notice. yuck.

Also don’t mind the wait at DMV. Even without an appt. I don’t think I have waited longer than 45 minutes. If I know I’m going to be short on time then I will make an appt. I have also learned the attitude you go anywhere with is what you will get in return. There is no reason to be rude to anyone.

Enjoy your pie. I love apricot!!!!

5 MO June 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I have been in your DMV one time…and I also people watched as my Mom got her license renewed. I never in my life saw so many strange people. I think I saw more men in jackets with big pockets all over them…as in safari style..and a wool knit sock caps on their heads….another thing I saw was, people who obviously came without combing their hair…..messy nasty people. I wondered where they came from, as I didn’t see them anywhere else I went. I also saw many people who assume they look good and it looks like they had been sleeping in their clothes…rumpled and wrinkled and so many men with t-shirts that didn’t meet their pants..with big belly buttons hanging out. It reminded me of lower Broadway in Oakland in the 50s….where no one looked decent.

I watch people often at Walmart…I sit in the car while hubby runs in quick…He doesn’t want me to go in too, as I end up side tracking him…lol. So I sit and watch them go in and out. Now there is nothing a weird as Walmart…down here in the Ozarks not far from the old home town of Walmart…..I guess the ones I watch are the ones coming out after using their Welfare Card…most of them are over weight, their clothes at this time of the year are knee shorts, wrinkled t-shirts with BUD Light on them, flip flops and dirty feet…and 6 little kids walking aimlessly around the cart…and they talk loud…THESE same people now at this time of the year…also are the ones who can afford 300 bucks worth of fireworks at the big Tent across the highway….(now the fireworks have been outlawed til the heat and drought are over..105 here today)……wanna make a bet? They’ll be out in their back yard shooting them off ..ban or not.
(I am not against fat people..Im not thin…but Welfare/grocery cart with desserts and mac n cheese and candy…seems to be the norm. And kids with filthy faces and bare feet….how did they go inside? No Shirt No Shoes No Service? I guess it’s okay for kids.

Apricot Pie? Yum. I make mine with small chunks of pineapple too.

See ya next week…good column. :))))

6 Lulu June 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM

@jtkatec… i read your comment about the apricots and it made me smile. great sense of humor !

7 Wisecracker June 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

The way I see it is this: If you chose to live in this overpolulated State of California, you better bring your patience with you. Leave your huffy attitude behind and be prepared to wait your turn just like everyone else. And, yes, if this woman who entered DMV with an attitude had prepared in advance by making an appointment, she would have spared the other patrons having to witness her tantrum in public.

I also like to people watch. Airports around the country are probably one of the best places. It’s refreshing to see people of all walks of life every where you look. And, just when you perhaps thought yourself to be a bit on the “weird side”, you can look around and see there will always be someone out there that is just a little weirder!

Apricot pie sounds fabulous! I make homemade apricot preserves myself and also an appetizer of a round sour dough bread bowl with the inside scooped out, fill with apricot preserves and also brie…. bake in oven at about 350 unitl it is all bubbly – serve with the bread you scooped out of the middle. Yum!

8 PHR2 June 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I people watch at times. I refuse to talk badly about anyone because of the way they look. People come in all shapes, sizes, economic conditions, and cultural backgrounds. I’ve come to a point in life where engaging in “garbage talk” is useless. I’d rather help contribute to building a community and being a productive member of society while teaching others around me the same.

Well, just adding my 2 cents…peace to all.

9 Palermo June 28, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I find I am turning into my mother more every day. She will start a conversation with anybody anywhere and know all about them before she is done. Instead of just watching people, try saying a few words, there are an awful lot of really lonely people out there, especially the seniors. We can learn a lot from them and it brightens up their day as well.

10 Blossom June 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM

@ MO, now you are funny, you should write this column. Nothing you said made me want to vomit, like nose picking, as I tried to eat my lunch.I personally would have moved to another seat.

11 AnotherAnon June 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Real, fresh apricot pie is not easy to find these days, practically never in restaurants, occasionally in the frozen section at a market. Many years ago it was a regular feature at The Auction Yard, a truck stop restaurant on I-5 at Williams, Ca, but the Yard burned down and hasn’t been replaced. It was one of those “one of a kind” places that are disappearing, to be replaced by Denny’s. I always looked forward to stopping there on my way to Lassen.

12 the real superman June 28, 2012 at 3:49 PM

WOW, another fine one. That’s all I can say because there is no freedom of speech on claycord.

13 Parsnip June 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

“Another person who was waiting wouldn’t stop picking his nose. It wasn’t one of those subtle nose picks where you pretend like you’re just rubbing your nose while sticking a little bit of your finger inside, it was a full pick, that he wiped on his chair after every dig.”

For real? This nonsense even had to include a theory of the “right way” to pick? And then everything is ended with a pie?

I’m outta here …

14 Speaking of Nose Picking...... June 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM

a family donated a reclining chair to our minister for his office. We went to pick it up, turning it over we observed what must have been an inch thick layer of dehydrated boogers. We took it directly to the transfer station.

15 M2 June 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Airports are the best place to people watch. All different kinds of people going different places. It’s cool to see family that haven’t seen each other hug and get excited.
As far as the Tip of the Week…I have to say that this is a pet peeve of mine. I’m sorry but I think it is horrible manners to have your guests at a bridal shower address the envelopes to their own thank you notes. You can take the time to address them yourself, I did, a hundred times over. Maybe if it’s a baby shower but even then…I did that myself too and got them out within a week of the shower. That’s just me.

16 Screwy Louie June 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM

OK…I just threw up in my mouth

17 snaggletooth June 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM

This was a disgusting column today. REALLY – we have to be subjected to reading about people picking their nose ad nauseum?

In addition, I can tell what generation the writer is in if she thinks it is a great idea for guests at showers to address an envelope for their own thank you card. This is just another lazy option thought up by some stupid person. My feeling is, that if I can take the time and spend money on a gift and attend a shower, then the person being honored can sure as heck write a thank you note and address the damn envelope. This idea is tacky, tacky, tacky.

18 Mom! June 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM

@Screwy Louis – Because THAT’S not gross at all…

19 JenA June 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Haven’t we had that tip before and wasn’t it said to be tacky the 1st time?

20 MO June 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Blossom…thank you very much. :)

Palermo…I nearly lol reading your post about becoming your Mother. Hehehehe…me too. And I find someone everywhere to talk to….I traveled back and forth to Concord many times a year for the last 10 years….and spent much time at the St Louis air port and San Francisco….

I made so many friends (some I still know online now)…and after 9/11 I visited with all the Soldiers and the dogs at the airports….I was hoping someone was making friends with my Son who was in charge of something at the Yuma airport same time. So…I hugged every soldier and patted every dog.

Then…I’d find someone sitting there waiting with me to talk to…how neat to learn about people from everywhere……….I’ve thought they commented about me later…”what a nosy old lady”…roflolol.

21 @Wisecracker June 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM

please share that recipe in more detail. How much brie, etc. That sounds awesome and I will be taking that to the next family function.

22 Shiloh June 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

@JenA, I think it was in the advice column of the CC Times recently

23 Shiloh June 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I don’t think it’s rude but I personally would be embarrassed to send someone a thank you card with their own writing on the envelope. not a bad idea to have everyone write down their mailing address though, to make sure you have their current address – just not on an envelope.

24 anonomous June 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM

To address an envelope at a baby shower is not tacky to me. I rather the mom and dad have more time to get ready for the best gift a parent ever gets in life. Its not like they will leave the inside blank and some moms have a hard time towards the end of the pregnacy so lighten up. Good for you if you want to do it your self.

M2 you had over 100 people at your baby shower wow are you special.

25 Poor Taste June 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Housewife, you had the tacky hint re: the envelopes in a previous “column”. I commented on it then and it is still a bad idea. Guests take the time to RSVP, buy a gift and show up, the least the guest of honor can do it to write a thank you note along with an addressed envelope.
Addressing your own envelope? This is not a teeth cleaning or a pap, it’s a party.
Do you also suggest putting those”so-and-so is registered at _”? in with the invitations? Ick!
Oops! Sorry! That wasn’t next weeks “hint”, was it?

26 Valen June 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I think a better thing to do would be addressing the thank you card envelope once you get the “yes” for the RSVP and setting it aside with the blank card to fill in later. That way you would save time and everything is partially ready. I feel that is tacky for someone to have to fill out their own envelope personally. My dentist has me address all the reminder appointment cards and I even think that is a little strange. If someone took the time to show up and brought you a gift, I think you should take the time to write the cards out yourself.

27 Emily Post June 28, 2012 at 9:27 PM

First off people watching is rude…
Second handing me an envolpe to address at your baby shower is rude.

I try to teach my kids not to stare and to take the responsibility to write thank you notes on their own and even address the envolopes.

I dont think Emily Post would agree with your idea for the baby shower..
No one has manner anymore…. So sad

28 KARMA June 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM

@ Emily Post,
Is it difficult to sit with that stick up there?

29 Shiloh June 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM

The envelope thing is not “rude”, it’s just kind of tacky – some people need to calm down! And remember, the mom-to-be or the bride-to-be doesn’t throw her own shower, so try not to hold it against her personally if this takes place – it was probably someone else’s idea. I, too, find it weird when my dentist makes me address my own postcard.

30 JRConcord June 29, 2012 at 6:29 AM

I go to the mall to people watch I call it going to the human zoo. :-)

31 Mac June 29, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Doesn`t sound to me that the person is truly thankfull if they can`t even fill in the address themselves.
Not a classy move in my opinion.