Column: The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

June 21, 2012 · 56 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

This week, I want to talk about strangers giving candy to children….

I was shopping with the kids at Safeway in Clayton on Monday when a man in his late 70’s approached my kids with two pieces of candy.

We were in the bakery area and when the man saw us. The way he approached us made me wonder if I knew the man, because he came up and acted as if we were old friends. He proceeded to reach into his pocket and offered my children each a starburst. I said “no thank you”, but he wouldn’t take “no” for an answer.

He kept saying “kids are made of sugar so they need sugar”. After another very convincing “no”, he walked away with his candy still in his hand.

An employee told me the man is innocent and just likes children.

He can like children, that’s fine, but when a parent says “no”, that doesn’t mean keep trying!

I’m sure the man is a nice guy who has no bad intentions, but these days you have to be careful about who talks to your kids. Just look at the Megan’s Law database, it’s filled with old men when I’m sure all seem like nice guys.

What’s your opinion on this? What would you do if this man tried to give candy to your children? Have you had any contact with this man?

Moving on….

A few things I saw around Claycord this week:

• The old Keenan-Heinz Company building on East Street in Concord will soon be a Doggy Daycare (as well as a groomer, boarder, boutique, etc.). After doing a little research, I found their website. Can’t wait for them to open!
  • I saw a Claycord bumper sticker on three cars this week! It’s always fun to see those around town!

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• If you cut yourself, and it won’t stop bleeding, pour a heap of pepper on the cut, it does not burn, and the bleeding will stop immediately.

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie! What kind of pie, you ask? I’ll tell you!

This week, it’s a Cherry Pie!

-The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 Clayton-ite June 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM

This doggie place… will there be any outdoor space at all ? Or just all indoor? if boarded how will the dogs get fresh air and sun? That is a SCARY location if a dog got loose. Gotta give them credit though! I hope they succeed.

2 :-) June 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM

i would not worry about an old man at the grocery store. i would tell my daughter to say no thanks or take the candy and put it in her pocket and throw it away later. people are too paranoid about old men. i also didn’t care when people rubbed my pregnant belly or ruffle my son’s hair though. innocent, i’m right there and you’ll probably never see him again.

3 Dude June 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM

So do hemophiliacs carry pepper like diabetics carry insulin? Make sure to grab the right shaker… Geez…

4 Blah Blah blah June 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Well aren’t you freaking special? I am sorry, but I thought if you were still on here you might be getting better but no you are not. (Note to self do not ever try to read this tripe again, it is like having a conversation with my dumb as a door knob sister-in-law) Don’t take candy from strangers? Megan’s law? Come on everyone knows this.

ATTENTION LADIES AND GENTLEMAN:

This is the reason we need to spend money on education and smaller class sizes. Please I implore you to educate your children so that they are smarter then the “”Real Housewife of Claycord”

5 Blah Blah blah June 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM

oh and P.S. for you other dog people there is a place on Arnold next to Kinder’s that will be all that and a indoor dog park.

6 Anon June 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM

@ Blah, Blah, Blah

Shut up already. Such the shit disturber. No one is forcing you to read the column.

7 Just a Concordian June 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM

It didnt take long for the haters to show up. Someone pass the popcorn please

8 Blah Blah blah June 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM

@anon

Go break your neck trying to fellatio yourself.

9 2BITS June 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Hey Blah blah blah, smarter “then”? Now who is the dumbass?

10 Chuckie's Wife June 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I was taught not to take candy from strangers and I taught my kid the same. In the above-described situation, I would have told the old guy that his offer is very nice, but that you’re teaching your kids not to take candy from strangers, so thank you very much, but no.

As for the haters, welcome back for another week! Have a nice day. :)

11 anon June 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM

wasn’t there already a long discussion on claycord about the man in Safeway?????

12 chris June 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM

It’s amazing how this lady always has some issue every week. It seems like she makes it up thinking its interesting or she just attracts this kind of stuff to her. I’ve never heard of someone who has as many complaints as you. Oh and who cares what kind of pie you make? Real housewife of claycord. Yea ok. That’s ridiculous

13 Han Solo June 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Once a little old man tried to give a piece of candy to Chewbacca and the poor old man got his hand bit off.

14 the real superman June 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

@ Blah Blah Blah
Could not have even said it better myself.

15 Concordejet June 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM

First of all I am sure the Blah, Blah, Blah is the real superman trying to hide his identy.

CHERRY PIE I go with the cherry pie yummy.

I am assuming any kinds of pepper will stop the bleeding. Regular pepper, black papper, lemon pepper should work. Well wait, not sure about the lemon pepper unles you want your finger to smell like lemon than that might be the case to use the lemon pepper.

A similar story I read on claycord. I cannot remember the date. Anyway, The story was at Costo. A man came up to the child sitting on the shopping cart while his mother was looking at an item until another shopping told her that you might wanna look at your shopping cart a stranger trying to give a gift to your child. She immediatly pull away from the stranger until, the stranger said let me help you with this and she said No thank you. The employer said, he/she saw the man before. As far as my memory goes, smeone mention on the claycord board said his car was filled with stuffing animals to give to the children.

That would probably give the stranger a sign to leave the child alone by just letting your daughter take the candy and throw it away later.

16 Incognito June 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I don’t have kids…. but, personally, I wouldn’t appreciate a stranger offering my kids anything to eat. How does this person know if the children are even allowed to eat candy? Maybe one of the children has childhood diabeties….

When my friends bring their children over, I first ask the parents if I can offer a certain item to their children, i.e., soda, candy, snacks, etc.

It’s called common courtesy.

17 Blah Blah blah June 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM

@concordjet
Nope try again. Sorry but I am also a housewife and I just don’t want anyone to think we are all that air headed.

18 Just a Concordian June 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

@concordjet i remember that story… quite disturbing!

19 Cap'n Nick June 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM

@blah blah blah, I believe the word you were looking for was “fellate” not “fellatio”. Fellatio is a noun, not a verb. If you are any indication of the average level of intelligence and education, you are absolutely right about the school system.

20 Liz June 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Wow….I don’t think it’s a big deal when you are right there with your children..if he was that persistent I would have just accepted the candy for my kids and told him I prefer to be the one to hand out candy to them, no harm done…..and on a lighter note every week at Farmers Market at Santos Plaza there is an old guy who hands me a wrapped piece of candy, and he has been doing this for 3 years now…usually my boyfriend is standing right next to me..lol. I tend to think nowadays that people overreact to everything. What ever happened to one using their common sense?????

21 Wisecracker June 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I bet Mr. Mayor gets his share of amusement and laughter each and every day when reading a lot of these posts!

22 Gilmore Tuttle June 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

A gun will work just fine as a pepper substitute. I once shot an annoying goat, and the bleating stopped immediately.

23 I think... June 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I think Blah etc. is just jealous that they don’t have a column here. If they truly hated the Real Housewife they would skip the column and move on to the next.

24 jtkatec June 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Ah, such a sweet old man. After your kids were exposed to your ex-boss, this would be an eye-roller for them.

25 5150 June 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Well I suppose there’s no way of knowing how dangerous the older man was, This reminds me of something similar i saw in the Target in PH. I was waiting in a long line at the checkout, and watched as an older gentleman purchased a package of some type of trading cards. Then the man waited near the exit of the store and offered the cards to a random little boy who was leaving with his dad. The dad gave the old man a puzzled look, like “why is this strange old guy trying to give my kid free toys?” but the dad let his kid take the cards, and then left in a hurry and did not talk to the old man after. It was strange to witness.

Maybe these guys are just elderly gentlemen without grand kids who are lonely. Or maybe they are perverts like Jerry Sandusky. No way to know, but if I was a parent I’d error on the side of caution and keep my distance.

26 Anon June 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I think a more reasonable approach to a bleeding cut is constant pressure and raising the affected area. Shoving a bunch of garbage in the cut doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

27 Wisecracker June 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I wonder if people would react the same way if it were a little old woman offering their kid some candy? Just curious….

28 Thanks June 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I like this column. The info here is helpful.

Thanks for the column!

29 Cowellian June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

If ignorance is bliss, then Blah Blah Blah must be a very happy housewife. You might want to make another note to yourself to learn the language before pretending to be smarter than anyone else. It makes you look like the airhead in the conversation.

And we already knew that the real superman couldn’t say it any better.

30 Mnnnnnn June 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Cherry pie!!

Some old person and his wife gave my dogs some biscuits in that same shopping center. It happened so fast I couldn’t stop it and the dogs were eager to chomp them down. Watched them all day for reactions.

31 jp June 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I absolutely would not let my children take candy from a strange man. If he insisted I would simply tell him, “No, I’ve taught my children not to take candy from strangers.” What makes you sure he’s innocent? I remember reading complaints from Claycordians about an older gentleman at Safeway approaching children. Everyone thought Sandusky was a great guy….turns out, not so much. Look at Megan’s Law website – they’re out there. And those are just the ones who’ve been caught.

32 Geezer June 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Right before reading Claycord, I was reading an article on Yahoo about Jerry Sandusky’s adopted son who now claims to have been abused. There are so many evil’s out there to protect your children from. You did the right thing RHoC. The old man may have been harmless, but why take a chance. To err on the side of caution is best when dealing with your children. As to the haters, well…. Those who can, do; those who can’t, teach; and those who can’t teach, complain…..

33 Mo Mo June 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

to the real housewife: How do you make it through the day safely? And more importantly, how do your chidren make it through the day safely? I am truly worried about you.

34 Grateful June 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Sounds like the Real Stuperman and Blah B.B are the same, who cares if they’re male or female…full of hate! Major creeps!!! Go someplace else with your hate!

Anyone getting that close to my kids…no…stay the hell back…this is the sign of the times. Nuff said.

You go Real Housewife of Claycord! You’re fun to read each week!

35 Analnymess June 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Blah Blah blah is in need of some serious ‘wink-wink-wink’ to release some tension.

36 the real superman June 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM

@Mo Mo ( I LOVE YOU ) I miss you

37 @ Mo Mo June 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Mo Mo, what does ‘chidren’ mean exactly?

38 the real superman June 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM

DON’T MESS WITH MO MO

39 funny June 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM

How the real housewife can rival the political section.

40 Pervert Alert June 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Soubds like the old man from Costco we have talked about at length. Any parent in their right mind would keep their children away. Phillip garrido would secretly film children at a park to watch later while he got his jollies. Who knows what this guys MO was. No chances, kids first!!!!

41 MO June 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM

”Alternative medicines are gaining in popularity as we become aware of all the possibilities inherent in the herbs and spices that surround us. Black pepper is one such spice that has medicinal properties. Below is a look at how you can use black pepper to stop bleeding and help heal your cuts.”

Read more: How to Treat Cuts With Black Pepper | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2090313_treat-cuts-black-pepper.html#ixzz1yU1Zad4j
I learned this trick many years ago when we were camping. Thanks for reminding me Housewife.
————————————————-
I’m not sure how I would react to a stranger giving my children candy…I know I’m must more leary of strangers these days. And, like some of the strange people posting in this thread tonight…I am even more aware of the looney tunes lurking in even nice places like Claycord. However…if we didn’t have these hysterical haters, what else would we have to laugh at on a night when there are no good TV programs on?

Cherry Pie, with Vanilla Ice Cream sounds good….I’ll bring the ice cream if you save me that piece of pie.

Thanks for the Thursday fun….you only know how successful you are, when people try to discredit you….lololol….lots of credit to you….

BTW some of you folks really can think on your feet and give some good retorts to the rotten apples…love them.

42 Cowellian June 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Cherry pie or rotten apples? I’m going with the pie every time!

43 Rooster Head June 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM

That old man would have ended up sleeping with the fishes, in the freezer section, if had approached my daughter.

44 Pleasant Jenny June 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM

It’s really not that complicated. When my babes where young and someone offered them a treat of any kind I would simply say “Oh, thank you so much! They are supposed to (enter chore) today so now I will have a reward for them!” Then personally take whatever was being offered and toss it when we got home. Told my kids when they were too young to understand that the candy was stale and then when they got of age to understand things they already knew better due to my educating them.

45 Pleasant Jenny June 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Oops. When my babes WERE young. Anyhow. One of my points is that the longer you converse with someone you are uncomfortable with is not good. Whether they are a perv or not.

46 Happy One June 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I think the old guy at Safeway is a regular there. He’s just an old guy who has lost a few of his marbles. There’s no reason to be afraid of him. I like Pleasant Jenny’s approach. Don’t be rude to him. Show some empathy. Just take the candy, say thanks, then toss it later. You’ll make a fellow human being feel good, you’ll keep your kids safe, and you’ll be setting a good example for your kids on how to handle a difficult situation with kindness and grace.

47 Cindy June 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM

@Happy One,

I totally agree with you.
@Housewife,

Keep up the good work. Ignore the haters. I look forward to your column every week.

48 BWill June 22, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Kind of sad how the perverts and pedophiles have ruined it for genuinley nice people

49 JRConcord June 22, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Hate hate hate, bla blah blah, not much difference is there. Dont like it dont read it. Got to go cook a chicken :-)

50 Just a Concordian June 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM

This was fun. Now off to smoke a cigarette.

51 Old Man Herbert June 22, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Let’s see now… I’ve got my camera, trading cards, candy & milk bones ready. OK I’m off to the dog park.

52 Heather June 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Its rough to be an older person with kind intentions…but as a mother of three children- I would have a real problem with some man arguing with me about giving the candy to them. And as for the people hating on the RH for so much happening to her- as a mother of young kids I feel like more crap goes down on an outing when I have all of my children with me than in the average single person’s week. I had a man who was “obviously interested” in my 5 year old son approach him and attempt to strike up a conversation at a store…I don’t care if someone is “friendly” its not appropriate for adults to give anything to a child or get too close when a parent is not immediately close/involved in the interaction. Unfortunately its not the same community for kids it was 20-30 years ago. I remember walking home from Holbrook…if the school was in operation these days that would be asking for trouble.

53 Another Hater June 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

This is what I don’t get.

If anyone is not in favor of this column they’re automatically hateful and need to just not read it, etc.

But if I chose to write a column for a blog like this, I would roll with the punches. A lot of the negative comments are about the same thing. This woman comes off as a whiny, neurotic, complaining mess who seems to meet some type of irony every week in her life that she then magnifies into this huge dilemma.

Just as Happy One said, this situation could have had a positive outcome, however, instead of the “RHoC” being polite and thoughtful, she reacted in her usual neurotic self.

The column was crap this week.

54 Sum1 June 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM

All the haters who are MEN why are you reading her column anyway? Do you also pick up a Martha Stewart Magazine expecting to enjoy it? Get a clue! This is for the hoisewives of Claycord!

55 Training June 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!

56 iso games for wii June 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Nice blog here! Also your website loads up fast!

What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?
I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol