Column: The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

May 31, 2012 · 42 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

I want to thank you all for your wonderful tips about getting my husband and kids to help out with household chores! Some of them worked, but it’s still somewhat of a struggle. It all takes time though. Again, thank you.

I also want to add a little note to say how much I love writing for Claycord.com. In my mind, this is the best news site around, and it’s definitely the only place where we are allowed to vent our happyness and frustration 24/7. Thank you to the Mayor for keeping such a wonderful community website, which does so much good for everybody around us. Although Claycord does have its share of controversy, that’s part of the appeal. A few years ago I emailed the Mayor about a story I disagreed with, because it hit me on a personal level. He emailed me back and said he was sorry about the story, but he only reported on it, and didn’t make it up. It was then I realized that I was the one who needed to step back, take a deep breath and move on. The Mayor was just the reporter, and although I questioned him putting a relatives name on the blog, my relative was the one who did something idiotic to get his name in the news.

Rant over!

This week, I want to talk about working out….

I need to exercise, badly! It’s not that I need to lose a bunch of weight, I just need to get in shape and not feel exhausted after a full day of work (at the mall, with the kids, at home, etc.).

I’ve tried getting a gym membership, but as most of us know, that rarely ends up how we originally expected. I just don’t have the time, money, dedication or energy to go to the gym. The gym also seems like a place where most 20-something girls go to find a man. Although I don’t mind looking at a little eye candy once in a while, I’m not in the market for a new man (yet, hehe, love you honey).

I’ve tried walking at night, but it seems like something always comes up with the kids and before I know it, it’s dark out.

What do you do to get in shape? Do you have any tips or tricks you can pass on to not only me, but every other person out there who needs more energy?

Moving on….

A few things I saw around Claycord this week:

• My mail came at 9:15pm this week! Why even bother delivering it? Just wait until the next day please.
  • I was walking back to my car after working my job at the mall this week and noticed a woman out with a large caged dog in the lower level parking lot by JC Penny. The cage was big. Being a dog lover, I walked over to see what she was doing (but I didn’t talk to her right away). As I walked by, she said “pitbull puppies for sale”. She was selling pitbull puppies in the parking lot of the freaking mall for $500 each. These poor things were so tiny and adorable. Does anybody really do this anymore, and would you buy a dog from a person in a parking lot for $500? It was kind of sad to see.

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It’s a lot cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. It’s also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn’t like when you tried it in your hair.

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie! What kind of pie, you ask? I’ll tell you!

This week, it’s Oatmeal Pie! Click here for the recipe.

-The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 The Authority May 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Keep up the good work. Nice reading about people and things in our area on a lighter note.

2 the real superman May 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Another boring column for all the cake eaters of concord.

3 Jim May 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM

HMMMM…great way to use up conditioner…’ll tell my wife, there must be 5 bottle in the shower and all full….now I know it won’t go to waste

4 Christine May 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM

You should check out Fit 2 the Core, it’s a gym, but not your typical gym. It’s bootcamp that really kicks your butt. Grand opening this Sat. 12-3, located right behind Trader Joe’s @ Treat and Oak Grove

5 lsed May 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM

For exercise I schedule time first thing in the morning. The night before I setup my exercise mat and DVD (pilates -Ana Caban or Denise Austin). In the morning I roll out of bed, change into some sweats and do my exercises, sometimes with my eyes still closed. After exercises I start the day. Three times a week, 20-30 miinutes each time. Helps me stay in shape and the pilates doesn’t tire me out like a bike or aerobics and I don’t need fancy or expensive equipment.

6 ozziethedawg May 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM

get a dog. not only will you save a life, you will be forced to walk him/her.

7 ozziethedawg May 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM

i just read the rest of your story. certainly do not get one from some backyard breeder. either save one from the pound or if you want a certain breed, then from the breeder. i cannot imagine anyone paying 500 for a pit bull when they are getting euthanized on a daily basis :-(

8 mommabear May 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM

The oatmeal pie recipe doesn’t sound like something I’d like but thanks anyway. All that sugar and syrup, way too sweet. Maybe substitute fresh peaches or apricots and half the sugar. No syrup for me.
I enjoy your column.

9 KS May 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I look forward to your column each week, nice job! I am also amused by the haters who don’t seem to be intelligent enough to figure out that if they don’t like the column, then they shouldn’t read it. Life’s too short……..

10 Weekly Reader May 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Housewife,

It doesn’t take a gym to exercise, but I do understand that it can be extra hard to exercise at home with a family at home too!

A great gym is Fitness 19 in Concord. No frills. No contract. Less than $20 per month…maybe even cheaper. My advice, get some good music with a pair of headphones and just exercise and ignore all the people that may bother you. Trust me, they reall y don’t care about the ‘average’ individual like you and me. There really aren’t many at Fitness 19 anyways, even during busy evening hours. Plus, you will enjoy the personal time away from the family. The personal time WILL encourage you to want to go to the gym. I am speaking from experience…wife with 4 kids;)

11 Zumba Girl May 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Zumba! Lots of drop in classes in the area. zumba.com

12 ccat May 31, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Thank you housewife, I am always cheered by your column. I hate to excersise. But if you got to do something, try dance. I recommend an Mp3 player, with headphones, not earbuds. Buy some Shakira tunes online, download. Put those kids to bed and dance barefoot. Expect to be tired for the first week, but its worth it.

13 kj#2 May 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM

yes fitness 19 a good gym all new inside! I work out there too! All ages should feel comfortable there!

14 jenA May 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I too love Fit 2 the Core. Best workout of my life and not your typical gym.

Also, like the idea of getting a dog to go walking. Got to go talk w/ the hubby now :-)

15 SAR May 31, 2012 at 2:49 PM

The ‘the real superman’ never disappoints!
‘Fitness 19′ in the evenings (5pm to 8pm) it is pretty packed from Monday thru Wednesday, and more and more people keep signing up. There is a new inexpensive gym getting ready to open up in the ‘El Monte’ shopping center called ‘Fit U’ (10 bucks a month).

16 Anon May 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

When I was about 13 years old, I discovered an even better way to use conditioner in the shower.

17 MO May 31, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Great blog!

I’d be no good discussing going to the gym…I live too far away from anywhere to drive there…with any regularity. (lazy)….
Years ago, I had a little square wooden board mounted on another board, and it moved with ball bearings (I think)…it was called a TWISTER. I could do dishes, fold clothes and twist…I would twist holding a can of green beans in each hand and watch my soap opera…(this was in the olden days)….but I must have burned calories, cause I sure had a small waist line…(then I got old and didn’t care).

Love the Oatmeal Pie recipe…I made a Blackberry cobbler with Splenda over the weekend…just a small bit of flour for thickening…and it was as good as if I had made it with sugar. We have lots of berries all along the pasture fences…so, I could make a pie or cobbler a day…we don’t need all that crust tho…too many carbs. Great to have berries just to eat like potato chips.

Oh…I stopped at a neighboring farm, where they raise Bison…and bought some ground meat….(I worried about how I’d feel eating a Buffalo)…they were the best hamburgers I’ve eaten in a long time. I’m going to buy some to have in the freezer next time I go to pick up my whole hog sausage order.

I would never buy any puppy for 500 bucks from the Mall Parking lot….she probably stole the poor little things..or they were not what they seemed to be. Better to rescue a pup at the Shelter..or go to a reputable breeder…(I have had Border Collies the last 25 years…great dog if you have lots of room for them to run)……….. now, tho..due to bad luck and age of my dear pet, I haven’t got a dog… I need to rescue an old dog, or the dog will out live me. :(

Have a great day :)

18 Palermo May 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I go to the Y in Pleasant Hill, there is no “meat market” atmosphere there at all. I use the treadmill, the bike, the weight machines, swimming pool. They also have fantastic Zumba classes that I LOVE. Lots of other classes too of course.

19 Mrs. A May 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I use my WII, I bought dance party 3 and exercise to that. Good cardio and it’s a lot of fun. Or you can try and walk the mall before or after your shift.

20 MIss Ranchogirl May 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM

guess what….I am making your pie tonight!

21 @SAR- May 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Have you seen that joke of an establishment called Fit U?

Ask yourself this…what quality, reputable gym signs members up, only to delay opening the doors, week after week? This gym is an scam and if you compare the success of Fitness 19 nationwide, you will see it is a far more reputable gym/company.

If you don’t believe me, Google Fit U Concord. Here is some of what you will find. http://www.yelp.com/biz/fit-u-health-club-concord

And no, I do not work for Fitness 19, just a VERY happy member.

22 Noneya May 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Thank you so much for that conditioner tip!! I have a Costco size bottle of contitioner that I cannot stand and am almost out of shave cream!!

I wish people that didn’t like your column would just skip it instead of trying to ruin it for those of us that enjoy it.

23 JT F May 31, 2012 at 3:51 PM

seriously the mail in concord lately is hit or miss. like others here i’ve experienced 0 attempts at delivering packages and just rec’d the orange slip that says the post office has packages for me. it seems to be standard protocol at this point for the concord post office. are they overwhelmed with mail???

24 SAR May 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM

@ @SAR-
I too am a member of Fitness 19 and go there just about every weekday night, you’ve probably seen me (male, long hair, blue camouflage baggies). If you’ve been there on a Monday or Tuesday night you will admit the place is too busy (unless you used to go ’24 Hour Fitness’). I also remember ‘Fitness 19′ signing up members over 6 months before they opened and as time goes by the place gets busier and busier.

25 Happy One May 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I’ve never heard of Oatmeal Pie. Did you actually make it? How was it?

I can’t imagine paying $500 for a pit bull puppy being sold in a parking lot. The kind of people who would buy one that way are the kind of people who give pit bulls a bad name.

26 Geezer May 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Any gym that you will go to regularly is the right one for you. I found treating it like an appointment that I can’t miss, like Dr, or Dentist is best. I put it on my calendar and block out the time, and feel guilty if I miss it. That keeps me motivated to keep going.

27 @SAR- May 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I agree Fitness 19 is busy in the evenings. They did sign people up ahead of time, but did not postpone opening SEVERAL times like Fit U has. Fit U is alsovery misleading. No contract, but $35 annual fee that goes up the following year! That is almost double the $19 annual fee that never goes up at Fitness 19.

Not trying to argue, just want to save you and others from a scam company like Fit U.

I have to look for you next time I go during the evening and say HI:)

28 Chuckie's Wife May 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I go to InShape, formerly Maverick’s, formerly… whatever. They’ve made improvements to the gym and have replaced some of the equipment, too. I go in the morning, 3x/week around 8:30-9 am for an hour. Very few skinny 20-somethings to pick up guys at that time. Lot’s of “my size” and larger people, though! :)

I hate exercising but I know that if I try to do it at home, I won’t do it. Now that I’m paying money I’m more motivated to go.

29 jtkatec May 31, 2012 at 7:09 PM

She does make pies!! It’s not just a signature sign-off.

30 Fitness 19 May 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Love it.

I have the pleasure of working late afternoons so I can go in around 11-2 and never have a crowd. They just redid the Walnut Creek one that I go to. At the time of my sign up Bally’s had just closed up so I got a sweet deal. The hubby and I go for $9 a month.

31 Southern guy May 31, 2012 at 7:43 PM

LMFAO #16!

32 Meetup Group? May 31, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Do you think walking/jogging with a couple other ladies would help? I’ve been thinking about starting a Meetup Group in Claycord or joining one that already exists.

33 Mimi (original) May 31, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Really? I went to that Fitness 19 place and that scammed of s “representative” salesperson tried to sell me a Personal Trainer 3X a week for the first 4 weeks! At $30 a pop! I signed up for 3 single sessions ($90) then cancelled them in February and STILL haven’t received my refund check! All Gyms Are Rip Offs!

34 gratton May 31, 2012 at 11:13 PM

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

35 Conditioned May 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I don’t know what conditioner evryone else is using but I can assure you mine is not cheaper than shaving cream!!! Only the best for my split ends! ;)

36 @Conditioned June 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Save your expensive conditioner for your head, buy the Suave Coconut cheapy one for your legs, it’s $1!

37 Mark Spitz June 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM

The Y in Pleasant Hill. Great outdoor year-round pool. Lots of new fitness equipment.

38 Domestic Ceo June 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I am not super-fit, but I am healthy and what I do is… while cleaning the house I put on my most favorite tunes I enjoy dancing to. As you bend and pick up stuff from the floor make them squats. Dusting is a great way to exercise your arms, make sure you use both arms to keep the balance :) Mopping the floor is easier when you are jamming to music and make the push pull movements count. Stretch out after mopping. You can do push-ups off the counter top while watching something bake or boil ;-) When you scrub anything–use both hands (one at a time). You can use cans of soup as weights to work out your arms. Laundry… well, you can make that chore a big workout for your arms and legs, and a little core too. You can do squats as you fold, your arms are workin’ folding and you can tighten your core as you bend and twist and all the other motions of laundry time. Keeping your core tight as you do all your chores is a good workout… even while baking pie!

39 anonomamaof2 June 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

hi there,
forgot to post this last week,
love your column by the way, I wanted to share 2 things that happened to me in the same day. 8:57AM I’m driving to work down Concord Ave. and I see a heavy set man (50’s) standing outside his broken down car in the left hand turn lane. Normally, I would stop and help, but again it’s now 8:58 and I gotta be at work at 9. just then, I see 2 young gals running to help him and his hands raise up like he was freakin’ Jesus and he probably shed a tear and I was amazed that someone else out there still cares about others and wanted to help this man and his car off the road safely.

later and still happy about what I had witnessed, my friend and I went to Chili’s for lunch and both had coupons and since we were only allowed to use one, on my way out I offered mine to a couple walking in. It was for a free appetizer and it was going to expire the next day. They looked at me like I was some crazy lady, I must have repeated myself 3x. It’s free!!!!! “Order a stupid queso and get on with your life people”! I WAS TRYING TO BE NICE!!!
that will be all, just want to say we live in a strange community where one moment we can do something nice or unexpectedly for someone else but you never know how the other will take it.

40 Parsnip June 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM

@Domestic Ceo #38

Creative! : )

41 Margie June 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I really enjoy your column! Keep it up!

42 Cindy June 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Housewife………..

Since you work there you might not like this idea but I used to walk the mall. It opens early just for the walkers. I would start at Penneys and go six rounds= 4 1/2 miles. It was great when it was raining outside and fun to “window shop” while doing it. It seemed safe too. Met lots of nice ppl.

Thanks for the recipe!