Body Found at Len Hester Park in Concord

May 22, 2012 7:05 am · 28 comments

A body was found at about 6-o’clock this morning at Len Hester Park in Concord, which is on the corner of Hookston & Bancroft Road.

The body was discovered by a dog walker.

The Concord Police Department is currently on scene investigating.

At this point, it is unknown whether this was a natural death or a homicide.

We’ll have more information as soon as it’s available.

UPDATE: We’re hearing that foul play isn’t suspected.

1 NRA #1 fan and member May 22, 2012 at 7:12 AM

I’m on my way over there now to check it out and patrol the area. I’ll report back when I get home.

2 Lee White May 22, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Which is why I won’t hike the Iron Horse Trail. Too many incidents on it or close to it. There is quite a thriving homeless population in that area, as well. Of course, there’s a thriving homeless population just about everywhere in Concord that doesn’t require climbing a hill. Maybe Ron Leone and the other clowns who run this town will figure out a way to tax them once we paying customers abandon ship.

3 Shiloh May 22, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Ken, looks like it’s very close but on the Concord side.

4 Im a nurse May 22, 2012 at 8:06 AM

R.I.P

5 Kristi May 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Way to close to home. I live in that neighborhood and have called to complain and have been told there are 4 different patrols–Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Concord and East Bay Regional Parks. I am in complete shock! I walk that trail 3-4 times a week. There is an elementary school and lots of families in the area.

What is being done about all the issues in the area?

6 Teacher wannabe May 22, 2012 at 8:43 AM

@Kristi. How about increasing the PD budget so we can get more officers on patrol.

and I feel much safer knowing the NRA is on the scene (snort!)

7 Parsnip May 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM

@NRA #1 fan and member

At ease everyone — someone reading a blog is going to “patrol” and “report” whatever he sees from the civilian side of the crime scene tape border!

8 resident May 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

@Kristi # 5: This happens in every neighborhood, even Beverly Hills….and all the neighborhoods have elementary schools and families. So you didn’t really say anything

9 Pacheco Transplant May 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Everyone, chill. It could have been someone just walking along who had a heart attack or stroke and dropped dead. Not everything–especially not the death of a fellow human being–has to be a reason for you to get your political panties in a twist. And more importantly, not everything is about YOU.

10 Connie Dobbs May 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Kristi, for all you know the poor man had a heart attack.

11 Howard K Mullins III May 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Poor soul. Sad to hear of someone passing alone. I would much prefer to have my family around me when I pass, I think that’s the best way to say goodbye.

12 Shuley May 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Pacheco Transplant is 100% correct. People need to just chill or stop reading the media if they are going to overreact to everything. Everyone is going to die someday. If they die in the general vicinity of you, there is no reason to freak out. Besides, we have NRA #1 fan on patrol. That should make you feel safer…not.

13 Yikes May 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM

who said it was a man?

14 John May 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

People die from natural deaths every day. It can happen anywhere at anytime. Heart attacks and strokes don’t happen in the privacy of your house only

15 JKM May 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

@ Lee White
Tax the homeless? What good would that do? They don’t have any money.

16 anyone know? May 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

About another body found on the trail near Treat/Normandy about 2 weeks ago. Never saw any story, but a whole bunch of CPD on scene, with trail closed off and traffic on the scanner indicated it was likely a body. Wondering if it was natural or foul play.

17 HOOO HOOOO May 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM

RIP Unkown person who died in the park, spread your wings and go fly with God :)

18 Lee White May 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

@JKM, That’s my point — the homeless don’t have any money. California is becoming a state full of the very rich and the very poor. Those in the middle are being forced out. The middle-class exodus will continue if and when home prices rise to break-even levels. If a business had to survive on only the revenue generated from its biggest customers, it would go broke. So it goes with a state or even a nation. The only real middle class California has left today is composed of government workers. Get used to seeing more stories like this one. More and more people have nowhere else to sleep — or to die — besides under the stars.

19 Diablo May 22, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Don’t worry everyone, I’m on my way out there to keep an eye on the NRA dude who’s patroling the scene from behind the yellow tape. I’ll report back to you as soon as my space ship lands. LOL

20 Smith Family May 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

They say its not foul play so don’t worry about the saftey aspect…people die naturally all the time, homeless or not.

21 @Anyone know May 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I believe that was a guy found down in cardiac arrest by a jogger. AMR and fire transported him doing CPR. Appears natural as well.

People exert themselves on these trails and parks, and occasionally die!

22 Concord1963 May 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Many years ago a dead body was found near the BART Tracks that cross over Oak Grove Road near Minert. As it turned out, the deceased was the dentist I was working for at the time – he died of a heart attack while out jogging. Let that be a little lesson to all the conclusion jumpers out there.

23 ItsAnInsideJob May 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM

@Concord1963 – No let that be a lesson to all the joggers and fitness-fanatics out there. Caution: Exercise may cause death, followed by a gaggle of amateur journalists speculating that your sorry dead body was one of the infamous Concord Homeless…

24 @ 23 May 22, 2012 at 1:53 PM

WIll heed your advice and cancel my evening run :)

25 Concord1963 May 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM

LOL right on #23 and #24 !!!!! LOL LOL

26 La masa May 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM

No, not in Concord.

27 Parsnip May 22, 2012 at 8:42 PM

@NRA #1 fan and member

Thirteen and a half hours later we’re still waiting for your report. Why did you skip to purses, dude?

28 J May 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM

he OD’d.. there was no foul play.. chill out. RIP J.S.