Federal Air Marshall Crashes Motorcycle – Gun Falls onto Road During Collision

May 21, 2012 15:00 pm · 40 comments

An off-duty Federal Air Marshall crashed his motorcycle Sunday afternoon on Marsh Creek Road, and during the crash, his gun fell onto the roadway, according to the Clayton Police Department.

The man suffered severe leg injuries, but he’s expected to survive.

A witness who wrote to Claycord.com says he saw a couple of motorcyclists racing from Clayton Community Park just a few minutes before the collision….

My wife and I saw a couple of motorcyclists leaving Clayton Community Park going north on Marsh Creek Road towards Concord. They were racing at a high speed and a few minutes later we caught up to a debris of motorcycle parts and a small collection of concerned motorist.

Not sure exactly how the accident occurred but one of the motorcycle drivers was on the side of the road moving but being told to lay down. His buddy was on the side of the road for a bit but then took off – nice guy! A gun was found in the middle of the road and an off-duty Berkeley officer secured the gun while we waited for fire and law enforcement to arrive.

Thanks to the anonymous Claycordian who sent the information & the photo.

{ 40 comments }

1 Jerk May 21, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Sportbike, or trying to show off on one of those All show / No go bikes?
I guarantee you, there’s more witnesses out there.

2 NutCreek Frontier May 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Very disturbing story, if true.

3 Marty May 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Is the story the motorcycle accident or the gun in the middle of the street? If it’s the gun, then this will be a common story if the open or conceal carry people had their way. A major accident will turn into a gun show.

4 Cap'n Nick May 21, 2012 at 3:32 PM

@Rooster Head, they already said it was an off-duty federal air marshall. I doubt that Earl Ansley has now, in his 70′s, taken up a new job in federal law enforcement. I suppose I could be wrong though.

5 Rob May 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

If this was an armed Federal Air Marshall racing a motorcycle on public streets, IMHO – he needs to lose his job.

Shouldn’t Federal Air Marshall’s have better common sense than this guy clearly posses?

6 just a concordian May 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

good thing they found the gun. Questioning though his decision to bring his work issued gun during a fun outing.

7 Big Deal May 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

So what? If the gun was the air marshals then its most likely his personal carry weapon which I’m betting he as a permit for. If it wasnt the air marshals and was carried illegally, then the thug who owned it, doesnt any longer.

8 Polarbearmarket May 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I heard the extreme revving of engines in the Clayton Community Park, followed by the sound of some really fast racing toward the fountain just afterwards. I was wondering – .Man, I hope they don’t crash…..then we saw the police wrapping up an hour or so later. That explains that.

9 anon May 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM

OMG! A Gun! Panic! Everyone knows that just the sight of a gun turns normal people into bloodthirsty animals prepared to shoot their fellows for no reason at all!

The only air marshall I know is too big to fit on a race bike. But, I’m willing to believe that the accident victim was not necessarily one of the racers but just another motorcyclist caught by surprise. It’s nearly happened to me a few times.

10 WTF May 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM

@ just a concordian # 6
Did I miss something? I am certain I read the same post as you did about this accident. I even went back and re-read it. I do not see anywhere that is says the gun was “his work issued gun” Many law enforcement personal carry personal concealed weapons when they are off duty. Some agencies require them to carry off duty.

11 OM -oops May 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM

This could get Verrrry interesting, have national media of cable news gotten this yet?

12 Bay Area May 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Oh here we go all the Republicans will be on here talking about Gun Rights and the Poor racing Officer. (sorry had to say it! I know they take every crack at us liberals)

13 Atticus Thraxx May 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Poor gun. Sliding across hot asphalt. Mayor, if that gun needs any help let us(me) know.

14 Rooster Head May 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

@ El Capitan Nicolas #4

I asked the Mayor to strike my comment.

15 kj#2 May 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

hope he does not shoot like he rides all those witnesses how embarrasing D A

16 anon May 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM

First question, is my bike ok?, then, I hope I didn’t scratch my gun, and then, did I hurt myself?

17 warbirds45 May 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

The unofficial report indicates he was headed to Clayton PD HQ. The new episode of Real Cops just arrived, the Chief of Police from Springfield is taking his place !

18 NRA #1 fan and member May 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Thank goodness the GUN is okay. It should still work properly and not jam when fired.

19 Zoom-Zoom May 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

He’s prolly okayed by DOJ with a C&C license given his job. Its’ normal. I’ve got few friends in law enforcement who are always packing.. on-duty or not.

20 The Dude May 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

If he was racing, shame on him. Dumb activity and a bad place for it too. But, who cares if he was carrying his work gun or any legal gun for that matter? It does not appear to be related to, or a cause of, the crash. I fail to see why it’s become the center of the story, or as #11 suggested, why this should be relevant national news. Relevant local story about the racing and crash, sure.

21 Cowellian May 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Bay Area@12,
I knew someone would make this about race.

22 Simply How I Think May 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I apologize, … guess some people are just used to flying.

23 Dennis May 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

would there be even a mention if it was an iPhone instead of a gun? More likely a passerby would steal the iPhone …

24 Federal Air Marshall. Nice title, sounds important. May 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM

And I have heard that they have done some good things protecting people in the air. Most of these guys would give their lives to save passengers. Their very presents may deter some odd ball from doing something harmful.

If this Air Marshall broke any laws he should be appropriately punished. If he was just blowing off steam, as we all should do on occasion, then where is the harm? His weapon slid across the street. Mine would as well if I was allowed to carry and had such an accident.

Life is not a perfect set of circumstances. Stuff happens. No one can afford to live in a glass house.

I am glad the Air Marshall will recover. I hope he can get back to work soon.

25 J May 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Off duty air Marshall… Another rent a cop

26 Kirk May 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Yeah Mcfly, everytime I stub my toe pistols go flying all over the place. You squid(liberals) should consider not why so many guns are around but why people want to use them on you.

Ps it’s not just your breath

27 Watch Dog May 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I hope for this guy he was in the city of Concord when he had his “Accident”. Concord has a way of making Law enforcement tickets for accidents disappear. :)

28 Huh? May 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Can someone tell me what does “prolly” mean? Is that one of those “U-bonic” words?

29 ratstalker May 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I have to agree with #24.

Prolly is interwebz speak for probably. Not even close to ebonics.

The 2nd amendment to The Constitution was put in place to protect the 1st amendment. As well as the rest of the document, and the citizens subject to it. ( http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution.html )

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
( http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/quotable/quote04.htm )

In other words, I will be voting for neither candidate this year.

TTYL

30 J. Edgar Hoover May 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

If there were not so many Rattlesnakes loose on the road the accident would not have happened.

31 SK May 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM

@J. Edgar Hoover, Are you sure this wasn’t a corn snake? Most likely it was…

32 An Armed Liberal May 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’m going to have to side with my fellow gun owners and agree that the “gun” part has nothing to do with the story. As a liberal, I’m open to reasonable gun control, but I have no problem with someone who’s gone through Federal (or even State) arms training carrying a gun. It’s the idiots who have no idea how to use one but carry anyway that I worry about.

33 Anon May 22, 2012 at 5:43 AM

I hope he is OK be nice if everyone would stop jumping to a conclusion lets focus on the fact that someone was injured that is the only fact we have.

34 DoubleTap May 22, 2012 at 6:18 AM

Why is the sidearm ever part of this story? He’s Law Enforcement, trainded and checked out with the weapon. You anti-gunners are delusional.

35 Scoots May 22, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Maybe he was packing a S&W 500 revolver and the sheer weight of the weapon pulled him off the bike.

36 HOOO HOOOO May 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM

@ Huh?

prolly = probably

37 just a concordian May 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I have lived all over the US, sometimes in questionable to dangerous neighbourhoods as well as criss-crossed the country in my car. Never had I felt the need to carry a weapon and never was I in a situation that I could not get out of by just using my human senses and intelligence. So pardon me if I find gun carrying and ownership not only pointless but also dangerous.

yes, this guy is trained and in better control of his emotions in a heated situation, but I still fail to see the point of carrying a weapon in a fun outing, especially for a guy who is trained in all sorts of combat disciplines.

38 Theyellowranger May 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I have no idea how a story about a traffic incident became a debate about guns. He’s a law enforcement officer, he’s allowed to carry. If he was carrying a stuffed badger and lost it in the crash, would anyone give a crap about it? I own guns and believe in the second amendment (along with the rest of the constitution). You’ll never find me at a NRA rally or at an open carry event; I’m not some kind of gun nut. But people really need to get over hatred against inanimate objects like guns and motorcycles. People are the ones who make bad choices and hurt themselves or others. Guns and bikes aren’t going away because a bunch of media-frightened sheep whine about their existence. They are both tools and are quite safe in the hands of responsible people.

39 Anon May 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Don’t have a problem with the gun, since most off-duty LE carries, I have a problem if they were racing and if the buddy took off and left his seriously injured friend behind.

40 La masa May 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Wow, like I really trust in the establishment. Keep your christian faith up and maybe you will wake up to reallity and what the goverment is really about, Right city manager ! I wish I could leave her a shit pie for lunch to get a taste of life. Look at what mr COOL Keen left us with, really do you think you can change things? Go back to WC and take your dike clones with you.