The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

May 10, 2012 · 40 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

This week, I want to talk about nice things that people do for eachother….

My faith in humanity was restored this week after our wonderful Mr. Mayor posted a story about the very well loved “Radar”, who we just learned has cancer.

I don’t know the total number of donations collected, but I heard Mr. Mayor say during his interview on KGO (I love to hear a grown man cry when he’s happy) that Radar has collected $8,000 from Claycord readers.

We often focus on the bad in our community. I’m just as guilty, I always talk about the bad things that happen to me, or something bad I witnessed, or something bad that’s happening to somebody else. Very rarely do we ever hear about anything good, which is sad.

For those reading this weeks column, I want to make this about you and I want you to be involved by answering the following question:

QUESTION: When was the last time somebody did something nice for you? Tell us about it, what did they do and why did you appreciate it?

I will start. The other day, my mother-in-law, who I absolutely adore (she reads this column) knew I was having a horrible day. I’m not going to go into details (staying positive), but she surprised me with lunch. She came over and helped me out around the house and we just talked and ate lunch. It was one of the nicest conversations I’ve had in a long-long time and it really changed my day. I was so grateful, and it really made a huge difference.

Your turn!

Moving on….

A few things I saw around Claycord this week:

• Speaking of positive things. A man in Starbucks on Kirker Pass this week paid for the older man’s coffee who was in line behind him. The older man was probably about 90, and very grateful.
  • I saw a pizza delivery guy driving a Mercedes. That was a first.
  • A friend sent me this: A Pleasant Hill Police Officer off Taylor Boulevard quickly jumped out of his vehicle this week to help capture a small dog in the road. When he got it, he was holding it like a baby and kissing it. It’s nice to see a man in uniform not act so tough.

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• A clean house will help change your attitude from negative to positive, so go clean your house and be happy.

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

Go “Radar”, and thank God for Claycord.com!

-The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 john May 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM

We are very blessed to live in a neighborhood where everyone knows each other. One year we were having the popcorn ceiling removed in our house so one of our neighbors offered to cook us dinner. That same neighbor organized Christmas caroling around the neighborhood. We sang to two homebound seniors that year, sadly he passed away several months later. Another neighbor was having terrible allergies but needed the hillside cut down before the ConFire deadline. Another neighbor just went and cut it down for him. Neighborhood Watch is defintely happening in our neighborhood.

2 Dragon May 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Something really nice happened to me today.

I’m on a site set up for knitters and crocheters. Every Olympics, there’s an event called the Ravelympics (originally the Knitting Olympics, but we’ve gotten more inclusive) that needs a ton of planning and education and getting the word out, as well as decision-making and answering questions and all that sort of stuff. The people in charge work hard to make it as simple as possible for the competitors. I’ve been active on the Ravelympics board since it was set up, just helping out with providing answers to keep some of the weight off the moderators’ shoulders. Answering the same questions over and over, that sort of thing.

Today they asked me to be a moderator myself. (Actually, they asked me a while ago and I said no, but today they went ahead and did it anyway.) They’ve even deferred to my judgment in a few things already.

And then, another board that I’ve moderated for a while on the same site has also said some very nice things about me and my moderation skills. They’re a tough crowd on that board and I know a lot of chatter goes on in private; it’s nice to know that they think I’m doing a good job.

3 anon May 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM

My neighbor so willingly cares for my animals when I have to go out of town. Thank you, you know who you are!

4 Anon May 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I love my neighborhood for 2 reasons…both reasons are valid… We live in the best neighborhood you could ever imagine….everyone knows everyone and everyone watches out for everyone. It’s so good people don’t think of even asking if you need help…they just show up when they hear you have a project….there’s not one specific act that I can point to…there are literally hundreds…I wish i could duplicate it across all neighborhoods and schools…If the parents at my daughters school, it private and snotty, with out mentioning names…SFA parents….could just be half as nice as my neighborhood and watch out for each other INSTEAD of choosing their kids friends for them, talking about others behind their backs, etc…wow what a differnt school enviroment…they are n the opposite end of the scale…ask for help and NEVER hear back…so I love my neighborhood and I’m glad my kids can see how REAL people act toward each other and that there are people who will do things without motive and without judging…people who are generally good folks.

5 Just a Concordian May 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I read this column for two reasons:
1 – It’s fun to see why haters hate.
2 – This column has grown on me.

6 Anon777 May 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM

This morning I went to Starbucks and I was still 25 feet from the door when a man exited, but stood, waited and held the door open for me until I got there. Not a huge thing, but it was very nice! It’s really too bad I can’t think of another time recently that I actually felt, “how nice of that person”!

I, too, am astounded at the remarkable response to Radar’s situation. It’s definitely made me feel better about our community right now. I couldn’t contribute much but think every little bit helps. I love to Pay It Forward!

7 @ Kristy May 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM

You can’t stand diversity, and you want everyone else to be cookie cutter.

8 Anon May 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM

@ Kristy Smith…R U sure ur not a mom @ my daughter’s school?…Good Example of what i mean…chatty little hen’s deciding what THEY think is best, not even a story about a good deed…I’ll bet they didn’t ask EVERYONE about the column, just their little “group”

9 RD May 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM

To
Kristy Smith May 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

“I have tried to relate to your column but I just can’t. Mayor, you should change the name of this column to ‘The Real Housewife of Concord’. Us Clayton moms seem to have different values. As proof, I spoke to a lot of other mommies at swim practice the other day and none of them has ever found any value to anything this ‘housewife’ has ever written.”

I don’t think the title that the Real Housewife of Claycord uses has anything to do with Housewives in Clayton. If you don’t like the column or have not found any value in anything that she has written, then don’t read it.

Now go bake a pie!

10 @Kristy May 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM

….can’t tell if you’re miserable….or trolling….

11 KJ May 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Many years ago I shared the tiniest office with a guy (it had been an actual closet at one time). The way our desks were situated our backs were to each other, so we rarely spoke (who had any time for chit-chat!), and we didn’t work for the same boss so there was no need for us to converse with each other.

One day I was having a horrible time. I was totally frazzled; nothing was going right. In the mid-afternoon I had to go do something and when I came back I found on my desk a large chocolate chip cookie. While I was gone, my office mate had gone to the cafeteria and bought me the cookie. It was such an out-of-the-blue kindness that instantly all my tenseness and irritability evaporated. As I recall, the rest of the day went smoothly after that. I’ve never forgotten him or his thoughtfulness. That quiet, simple act meant a lot to me.

12 Anon May 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Kristy Smith: QUIT READING THIS COLUMN if you don’t like it! God how sick I am of the whiners of this columm!

What kind of different values do Clayton Moms have than Concord Moms? And you have proof because you’ve talked to other Clayton Moms. WOW! I would venture to guess you have too much time on your hands and too much money in your pocket. I believe I have better values than a lot of you rich, lazy, ignorant Clayton Moms, but gosh, no proof!

13 MO May 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

This week, my husband was driving his 18 wheeler about exactly on the Kansas Oklahoma border…going south. His radiator hose broke as well as the big clamp…and he lost all the water from the radiator.

He was considering dipping water from the ditch that was full to the edge of the road…when along comes a farmer, and offers to get water. He went to his farm and got his big water can full…came back with a very friendly Amish boy who put the water in the radiator…then…they needed more, and wouldn’t hear of hubby limping on down toward Vinita…they went to the farmer right there and got more water and the boy jumped up there and put the water in.

Lucky hubby keeps ”parts” in the side box and was able to put on a new hose and clamp…

And every once in awhile along comes those ”angels” who just materialize from no where. Thank you to those Oklahoma farmers for their help. Hubby tried to pay them at least for the gas they used…but they wouldn’t have it.

Time to pay it back…soon as he finds someone to help.

And Claycordians…you are angels….God Bless Radar…I am praying for you…and a miracle.

Dear Real Housewife…
You, my dear, are a delight. All these years of my life, I find joy in someone who can light up even a small part of my day. You make Thursday afternoon something to look forward to. Don’t pay attention to the naysayers ….they are jealous of you.

14 Anon May 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

To Anon777: he probably thought you were good looking and wanted to get a closer look at you!

15 the real superman May 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Do something nice for us all and stop the real house wife.

16 jtkatec May 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Kristy and Anon 15, get a big fail on being positive.

17 @Kristy Smith May 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM

You and your friends live in a vacuum, so your attitude sucks.

18 GINA May 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

EVERYTHING WAS POSITIVE TILL KRISTY OPENED HER TRAP….HOW RUDE.

19 Irene May 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I had knee surgery earlier in the day and was recouping on the couch when the doorbell rang. I found out that my mom had arranged for dinner (from Chili’s) to be delivered to me and my family. It was the most thoughtful thing she could have done.

20 Chuckie's Wife May 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

@ Kristy – looks like you are one bored mommy…who’s got the time to talk about this column to other mommies during swim practice? REALLY?? That’s the topic of your conversation with other mommies??? WOW. I feel sorry for you.

Maybe you could ask the mayor if you could start a column titled The Clayton Wives. You could tell us poor down-trodden slobs of Concordians how a Clayton Wife keeps her house clean between chatting about the lowly Housewife of Concord, chauffeuring kids to swim practice and playing bridge.

I’m sure it will be an utterly boring column that no one will like that lives in the real world.

21 @Kristy Smith May 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM

You are a complete snob and I would be embarrassed to know you! Quit acting like an ASS. You are no better than anyone else here.

22 ANONYMOUS May 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Ok, I keep wondering and shaking my head.. would the real Kristy Smith please stand up? Is this really the Clayton Kristy Smith? Substitute teacher, past MDE PFC President, Oakhurst family? Really?

23 CLAYCORD.com May 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

@Anonymous, I’m sure there are a lot of Kristy Smith’s in Clayton. I can guaranty you it’s not the past MDE PFC President, she’s a very good lady.

Mayor

24 Anon May 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Some hater could be throwing the real Kristy Smith under the bus…

25 marinemom May 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM

On my walk today someone smiled and wished me a beautiful day.
I passed it on.

26 Atticus Thraxx May 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I like it. And if it pisses some people off like it appears to, I like it even more. I’m hooked.
Let’s see when did someone do something nice for me……well I was born a healthy, white, middle class American. That was pretty damn thoughtful. I’m sure there’s been other things, but that one really stands out.

27 Wisecracker May 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

First of all, Kristy Smith is what I would call a “wanna be”.

Now back to the topic…
The other day I was at Home Depot and purchased some large bags of potting soil. I was at my car getting ready to heave them into the trunk when a gentleman walking by came up to me and said “Here, let me get that for you”. A nice gesture for him to stop and help me out, he didn’t have to and could have kept walking, but he didn’t. Made me smile.

28 Sassy May 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I’m hooked too! Love this column! Sometimes it’s the simple things in life that bring the most enjoyment. Oh, and way to be positive #2, whoever you are! Clearly you missed the point of today’s column. Thanks for changing my perspective today, Real Housewife of Claycord!

29 Cowellian May 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Mr. Mayor, I mentioned on an earlier thread that I don’t do subtle very well, but even I got that last one of yours.

Well, played, sir!

30 CK May 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

To Kristy Smith:
Not all Clayton Moms are like you (thank goodness) and those who are should be ashamed of themselves.

31 ANONYMOUS May 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Thank you Mayor, as I know the “real” Kristy and none of this sounded like her but then she mentions Clayton, and swim… what’s really kind of creepy is this “wannabee” seems to want people to think it is Kristy. Kristy is a good person, I agree… that’s why I asked, it all sounded wrong to me!

32 Lindoda May 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I really enjoy tis column, look forward to it every week. I can totally relate, as a matter of fact, I told my husband that I could easily be friends with this ‘housewife’. My ‘kindness’ story: My back had ‘locked up’ at work, on a Friday. We normally get together with my best friend for dinner, but I could hardly move. She came over and fixed a really nice dinner in my kitchen and I was taken care of for the evening. She even did the dishes and left the ‘leftovers’. Love her dearly!

33 Menegene May 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

A lady from my optometrist office sent me a card in the mail when she knew I was going through a rough patch. Makes me tear up now thinking how much it meant to me last summer!!! :)

34 local94553 May 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I get up every single day and try to find a nice thing to do for anyone. It does not have to be huge. Today a mature lady was trying to put on her glasses but the string of her glasses was tangled in her necklace. I was walking up behind her and gave her a hand. It really was nothing but she so appreciated my assistance and it put a nice smile on her face. If I can do one nice thing it makes my day much nicer. I think there are some posters here that could learn from simple acts of kindness. Be Careful it is contagious. :)

35 Concord1963 May 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Do you know that it takes less facial muscles to smile than to frown? Plus it feels good; smiles are contageous; and everyone wonders why you are so happy. Next time you are feeling blue; bitchy; angry; etc. – SMILE, before you know it your negative feelings will be gone! (At least for a bit of time.)

36 Feckin Irish Mouse May 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The fact that “Kristy” used the term “Mommies” was enough for me………really an adult women calling other Mothers/Moms “Mommies”?????????? Really???????? Mommies?????????? Anyway “Kristy” dear, if you don’t like the column then just skip over it.
As for kindness some of my neighbors ( I have a few good and plenty of bad neighbors) and all of my friends have been fantastic about helping me out during my ankle ordeal that I don’t think I will ever be able to pay them back….Just know I love all of you.

37 ME IN CONCORD May 10, 2012 at 9:18 PM

We use a local pizza place where the owner delivers our pizza. I am sure he cold drive a mercedes. Way to discriminate.

38 Anonymous May 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Obviously, the Kristy Smith that is posting is a troll. Anyone who knows the Real Kristy would know immediately these posts are not from her. The real Kristy doesn’t have a negative bone in her body. The real Kristy has given so much back to our community and school. It makes me sad that someone would choose to use her name in a negative way. They should be ashamed of themselves.

39 Shiloh May 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

@38, How was she discriminating?

40 jtkatec May 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

What kind of pie do you make every week? Is it the same type of pie, or are they all different? What’s your crust like? Do you use a store bought crust, or make your own? If you make your own, is it a flour crust or a cookie crust? Do you also make meat pies? If you make meat pies, do you make your crust or use phillo or puff pastry?

Let’s talk pie.