Vehicle Burglary at Church Leads to Residential Burglary on Concord Blvd.

May 4, 2012 9:16 am · 58 comments

Well, this is rather disturbing….

It seem you’re not even safe at Church anymore. My 85-year-old widowed aunt, who arranges flowers at St. Bonaventure Church in Concord had her car broken into in the parking lot while doing her volunteer work between 1pm-4pm on Thursday. They rummaged through her car, found her garage door clicker AND HER ADDRESS.

When she discovered this on her way out, she rushed home to Concord Blvd. She found her garage door open and her interior door open to get in and then her front door left wide open on the way out! They went straight to her bedroom and rummaged through everything, throwing it all on the floor and took ALL her jewelry she’s collected over the years through her travels: gold, diamonds and every color beautiful Pearls you could think of.

One thing that struck my heart was when she told me that a silver box was taken that held all the little love letters she had from her husband! I am so sick to my stomach for her but am also grateful that she wasn’t home when it happened.

I hope the police can find something to link who the robbers are to take from this elderly woman!

This is a very sad story, but a good reminder to not leave your vehicle registration & your garage door opener inside your vehicle.

If anybody knows anything about this burglary, please call the Concord Police or email us an anonymous tip at news@claycord.com.

1 Chester E. Kitty May 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Oh your poor aunt. How sad for this to happen to her. Hope they catch the slimy little thieves!

2 What Security May 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

This is very sad and I will pray and hope she gets those letter back.
I can not stress the importance of getting an alarm for the home, and keeping those important irreplaceable items is weather proof safe.
Horrible news thanks for sharing.

3 Question May 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Isn’t it a legal requirement to have a copy of your registration in the vehicle?

If so, it seems the only solution is to not carry a garage door opener.

4 Gym rat May 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM

What a sad story. Clearly,they had been watching this woman prior to the burglaries. For reasons like this, I keep my vehicles registered to a po box.

5 jtkatec May 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

And the neighbors didn’t see anything?

6 wooga May 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM

wow…what is wrong with people!!

7 Meat Grinder May 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Those POS thieves don’t give a crap about anybody and have no respect for private property. Really sad.

8 JustSusan May 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM

If you’re pulled over by the police they ask for your vehicle registration. Where would you suggest leaving your garage door opener if you want to gain access to your garage when you get home? I guess you could carry both in your purse everytime you leave your car but if you’re a man that could be bulky in your pants.

9 MTZ native May 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM

This is truely horrible to hear. I hope those theives rott in hell.

10 Louie May 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Makes me sick!

11 Marty May 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Registration not in the car?

12 livininconocrd May 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I thought you had to have your vehicle registration and proof of insurance if a cop stops you.?

13 Chuckie's Wife May 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM

That’s horrible! We don’t have our garage openers in the car at night, but now I’m thinking that we shouldn’t have them in the car at all… I’m not sure how anyone could avoid having their address in the car somewhere – between car maintenance papers, registration and proof of insurance… eek.

14 Marty May 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Garage door opener not in the car? That’s living your life based on improbable fears. Don’t do it.

15 CONTON May 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

There’s a special place in hell for some people.

16 GoGo Gomez May 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM

WTF!
Bunch of low life’s…I hope Karma comes back to bite these low life’s in the bleeeeep!

17 Curious May 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Are there any tips of where we should leave our vehicle registration and garage door opener? This is the third story I’ve heard this week where robbers mess up the bedroom. Interesting.

18 CLAYCORD.com May 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

You can keep it in your wallet/purse. Plus, I don’t think you need your registration, they can look it up on their computers.

19 Crazy Eddy May 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM

You can also lock your glovey. Most of them lock, don’t they?

Women should also keep their most valuable jewelry (or love letters) somewhere a little more secret, not just out on the dresser with the every day stuff. I think most crooks are in a hurry (I know I’d be) so they probably won’t be searching the backs of every drawer, etc.

20 NutCreek Frontier May 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Terrible thing to do this poor woman, don’t know how some people sleep at night. Anyway, another alternative is to buy an alarm system in case you want to keep your garage door opener in your car. The $25 a month charges buys you a lot of peace of mind.

21 Is there a cop who will tell us whether we need to carry registration? May 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I believe it is a requirement to carry registration & proof of insurance. I would like to hear from a cop about this.

22 Marty May 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Single car, single driver, registration in the purse/wallet my be a good idea, Otherwise it’s horribly inconvenient. Car and home alarms are a better way to protect against crimes like these.

23 Anon777 May 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

How about blacking out your address on the Registration and/or Insurance papers in your glove box? That’s what I’m doing to do today. I don’t want to carry around something else in my purse. GODDAMN these f*cking losers to HELL!!!

24 Mr. John May 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM

First: Have a solid door between your garage and your home interior with capable deadlocks. It isn’t 100% proof, but it is something.

Second: Hide anything with your address when you put it in the car. Thieves will not spend forever looking for it. An envelope taped under a seat, under the dash, or beneath a carpet may well be sufficient protectionto keep a thief from finding it.

Third: Know how to change the code for or deactivate your garage door opener.

Fourth: Don’t make it easy for thieves in your home. Put your valuables away where they are hard to find and/or safe.

Finally: Do a little to investigate yourself. If you know when the thieves were in your home, see if there are any cameras that might have caught them. I know of three neighbors that have exterior cameras as part of their home security. It is hard to approach my home from the street without being on camera.

25 Throw out the baby with the bathwater May 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM

They make garage door openers that attach to your key chain, same size as your vehicle alarm key fobs.

26 No Registration? May 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Can anyone confirm this for sure, that the police won’t cite me if I’m stopped and don’t have my registration and insurance? Or can I black out my name, address and other identifying information on the paperwork?

27 Shuley May 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM

That sucks. There was a burglary yesterday on Greenbush again. 2 in less than a year in homes right across the street from one another. I’m almost hoping someone tries to break into my home today. If they do, I will call 911 and tell them to send the coroner.

There are newer garage door openers that work with a app on your phone. I might look into one of these..

28 Rebecca May 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I’m so sorry for your aunt. Hope the slimy b@stards rot in hell. I have said it before on here, just tear the address part out of the registration. Don’t cover it up with a marker, just tear it out.

29 gg May 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Very sad story. I heard on a news program you should black out your address on your registration & if pulled over the police will be ok with it if you tell them why.

30 Proof Required May 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

You must carry evidence of financial responsibility in your vehicle at all times and must be provided as specified below:
• When requested by law enforcement.
• When the vehicle is involved in a traffic collision.

A similar rule exists for proof of registration.

I found an article about allowing drivers to carry this information in electronic form on their cell phones.

31 skippy May 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM

@gym rat: great idea. Think I’ll change mine to my POB. So sorry for your poor aunt. There are so many scumbags in our once nice town these days.

32 Is there an app for that? May 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Cmon, in this day and age there has to be an app. for your garage! There could be a bluetooth or wifi device that is connected to the control of your garage door and is sent a signal via the internet. Operate it through your smart phone. I KNOW! “But what if someone doesn’t have a smart phone, internet or can’t afford it?” I do not have the answer. This is only ONE solution and it won’t help everyone.

Registration, well if you only need proof, why cant you carry it in your phone? Take a picture, scan and send it to your phone as a .pdf file. Just some thoughts, would this be legit? Ultimately, you get a ticket, go to court and show proof via the original or see if a cop can write it off like a fix it ticket. Again, maybe not “the” answer, but an idea.

33 Troy May 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Years ago I volunteered at a Police department and we told people to black out the address portion on the Registration. It’s perfectly legal. My Drivers License even has my PO Box on it.

34 CONTON May 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Just cover the portion of your registration, proof of insurance, etc. with a piece of paper or something, then make a copy of it. A copy is perfectly acceptable to keep in the car, it doesn’t have to be the original.

Another tip: If you have “home” set in your GPS, set it for the corner of your street or someplace you can easily find your way home from. Don’t give potential burglars specific address info.

35 mortimer May 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I’m really sad to hear about this….it’s something we hope never happens then it does so unexpectedly. Check the dumpster or garbage cans close to the area, maybe something ended up in there.

36 Melody May 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I’m going to black address out today! This could have just as easily happened to me. I have a clicker and things with my address in my car. I have no excuse, I also have a keychain clicker that I could be using full time. So sad for the woman. I hope she is able to recover some of her valuables!

37 Registration May 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I’ve been pulled over on my motorcycle w/o reg and it was not a problem but I had my insurance. But it might depend on the cop so not sure if it is ok to not have reg.

38 Kendra May 4, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Wonder if it has anything to do with the break-ins at Newell Park. Seems there are a group of scoundrels making their rounds. I am sickened by the acts of this (or these) individual(s).

39 V May 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Mr. Mayor… when I was pulled over for a bogus thing 2 years ago, I was required to show proof of registration. The police, to my understanding, have the right to tow your vehicle if it’s not shown.

Now, back to the story at hand… there is a special place in HELL for those low-life’s.

40 Reality says... May 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM

“a good reminder to not leave your vehicle registration & your garage door opener inside your vehicle.”

WTF! That provided a good laugh. While we’re at it why don’t we carry our jewelry boxes, TVs, home insurance papers with us also so when someone breaks into our home they can’t take them. LOL!

ADT, Bay Alarm = $30p/m, look into it.

41 CLAYCORD.com May 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

You can always keep the registration in your purse or wallet. When I was pulled over a few years ago, the cop didn’t even check, he said he could look it up on the computer.

42 Maybe find your stolen items here! May 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I drove by the st. theresa’s retreat – the 20 person congregate care facility providing drug & alcohol treatment and recovery services @ 2059 pleasant hill road this morning and saw they are having a huge garage sale….tables and tables of stuff that looked like it could be a flea market. Being the kind of people living there I can only imagine that a lot of that stuff are stolen items from burglaries throughout Claycord. Anyone looking for stolen items should maybe check this sale out!!!!!!

43 Howard K Mullins III May 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Why do law abiding citizens have to keep hiding from criminals?

We citizens, the people who pay the taxes and therefore the cost of all the failed programs, should not be the people hiding behind closed doors, alarm systems, big dogs and fear.

The criminals should be in hiding yet they are not. Just visit Walmart. Look on any street and see our children emulate criminals as hero’s.

A criminal can rob your house, be caught, let go on bail and you do not have the right to his address He has yours, but you cannot retaliate against someone who has broken into your home and stolen your property.

Law abiding citizens can go to jail for protecting themselves from criminals. Who among you believe that criminals have more rights and entitlements than those of us who are not criminals?

In my opinion, this is very wrong. If someone broke into my home, he had darn well be long gone, not living safely in the next town over, safe knowing there is nothing I can do to even speak to him to beg for the return of a stolen heirloom. And while out on bail he can sell stolen items to augment welfare food stamps.

Well then, how did we get in this situation? The bottom line is its the people who vote for the representation that creates such ignorant laws. Those who consider yourselves Modern Progressives are now living in houses with bared windows, security alarms and fear have brought this on yourselves.

When will people learn? For most complacency is firmly entrenched and there will be no changes, hiding in fear, looking to an overworked and hog tied police department for protection. A delightful description of the cowardly left.

44 Jim May 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

too bad she didn’t call the police from the church and let them know her car had been broken into and what was stolen…they could have sent a cra to her house and she could have met them there and maybe stopped them…so frickin sad

45 bluebird May 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

The person who wrote the email to the Mayor told us how they tossed everything onto the floor so they were looking for anything they can sell quickly, no questions asked.

As far as keeping love letters on top of her dresser: she lives alone and did not expect anyone but her to go into her bedroom. I hope these people are caught and soon. I know I would not feel safe in my own home anymore if this happened to me.

46 Jeff May 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Well stated Howard.

Sorry for the lady’s loss. Wish that we could defend ourselves from these jerks, but California values it’s illegals and criminals more than it’s own citizens!

47 Dsmith May 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Best thing to do is get a P.O. Box. Use it for your mailing address for everything, including your registration, insurance, drivers license, etc… That way if they do get into your car, they won’t have anywhere to burglarize except your car and the post office.

48 Shuley May 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Jeff –

You are wrong. California does not value “illegals and criminals” more than they o it’s own citizens. What California does value is due process of the law and the Constitutional rights of it’s citizens. While it most certainly does sometimes equate to folks getting away with illegal acts, I’d rather have that than living in a police state.

If you don’t like it, you can move. The problem lies with too little of our tax dollars equating to a properly staffed, trained and effective police department. This problem is a bipartisan failure.

I hope this lady gets her item back. The feeling of being violated often overshadows the material loss.

49 Aethiest May 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Lets all use this as a lesson: God is evil, and going to church will only get your car and house broken into.
Wake up people, reclaim your sundays!!

50 Just a Concordian May 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM

@shuley
too late… we already live in a police state. Patriot Act.

51 anonymous May 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Vehicle registration and proof of insurance cards are so thin that they can easily be folded and put into your wallet or coin purse, and most men and women carry those at all times. You could also make a “secret” hiding place somewhere in the car. The important thing is not to have anything in the car with your name and address on it. Even if a garage door opener is taken, the perps won’t have an address, so it would be useless to them.

52 Killjoy May 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Folks, Sears sells a keychain sized remote for your garage door opener.
In fact, I’m looking at mine right now, hanging from my ingnition.

No, in not typing and driving. I’m sitting under a tree on my lunch break.

Sorry about this woman’s house being broken into.

53 Elwood May 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Scum is everywhere.

My daughter-in-law had her purse stolen from QAS church in Concord.

54 Lorelei May 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Can someone who works for the PD and/or the DMV verify that the cops can look up your registration when they stop you? That would eliminate the need to carry it in your glove compartment. Thank you.

55 Always Right May 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

With the price of gold and silver as high as it is, and easy no-questions-asked sale by mail (all of these places that buy gold are just massive fencing operations), no wonder we are seeing a spike in residential burglaries. Just like the local recycling centers – when you provide an easy way to get cash quickly for a product, the criminals go to town.

Criminals go for the easy money. A quick break in can yield hundreds or thousands of dollars in gold and silver which they can carry around in their pocket. No big TV’s or appliances to carry off.

The advice on this thread is good. We need to take precautions to protect ourselves. The police are overwhelmed.

56 anonymous May 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I just black out the address on my registration and leave it in the car. If you do it right, it’s unreadable.

57 anonamiss May 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM

How awful. This poor woman. I know how she feels. About 10 years ago my house was broken into while my husband and I were at work. They went through our house at their leisure, stealing everything and anything of value. They then came back 2 weeks later and stole a bike. Scumbags/drug addicts and lowlifes. I’d compare them to maggots but that would be insulting to the maggot……..

58 Tree Farm May 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Not a cop, but I played one on TV.

YES, YOU MUST HAVE REGISTRATION IN YOUR CAR. Only when driving though. You may take it out of the car when you get out. You may also keep the original at home and a copy in the vehicle. Law enforcement can and always will verify information on their computers. But the computers go down all the time. There is also information on your registration that is not in the CLETS return. So, keep a copy of your registration with you while driving, or risk getting a fix it ticket.

Vehicle code section, for any doubters.

4454. (a) Every owner , upon receipt of a registration card , shall maintain the same or a facsimile copy thereof with the vehicle for which issued.
(b) This section does not apply when a registration card is necessarily removed from the vehicle for the purpose of application for renewal or transfer of registration , or when the vehicle is left unattended .
(c) Any violation of this section shall be cited in accordance with the provisions of Section 40610.