UPDATE: Firefighters Battling House Fire on Springwood Way in Concord

May 4, 2012 · 22 comments

ConFIRE is battling a house fire on Springwood Way, which is in between Bailey Road and Thornwood Drive in Concord.

Nobody was home when the fire started, and no injuries have been reported.

The cause of the blaze has yet to be determined.

Thanks to Jaime for the bottom photo and Mitch Case for the two photos on top.

UPDATE, 10:35pm: The fire is now out. No injuries were reported.

1 Zoom-Zoom May 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Dang. What’s up with all these structure fires?

2 Skyscraper May 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I was wondering why all the sirens. Now I know. Thanks for the update, Claycord.com.

3 S.F. Citygirl May 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I seriously thought it was my cooking…

4 CLAYCORD.com May 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM

You’re welcome :)

5 Cowell May 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I hope they can put it out okay without too much of a fuss, my sympathy to the home owner(s) that are away, I’m glad they weren’t there and in danger. What is up with all these damn building fires lately?

6 Shannon May 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Driving home from a wedding we spotted the blaze. The neighbor said the dogs were in the backyard. but no one wa home. The house was really blazing . Hpe they were able to get the dogs out..

7 Smokey May 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Garage fire=meth lab?

8 update May 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM

No one was home. Fire started in garage. FD pulled an uprighted “pic nic” canopy out of garage that attracted attention of all the fire fighters on scene. Fire is out.

9 Slowfolder May 4, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I was at work on Clayton Rd and saw the Firetrucks. Glad nobody was hurt.

10 KBEV May 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Glad no one was home. Really hope they got the dogs out or they jumped the fence. :(

11 Sunny Intervals May 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

@Smokey, Not a meth lab. No reason to jump to conclusions without getting the facts first.
Fire started in the garage but the investigators are not sure what the cause was. Residents were not at home at the time, but neighbors called to let them know what was happening. Fire department is still at the scene monitoring. They have had to put out re-igniting embers a couple of times.
Only the garage sustained prominent damage. Luckily the response was quick enough to reduce the damage and keep the fire spreading to the neighbors house. There were dogs in the back yard and they are OK.

12 zdebgo May 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Dogs are ok and barking. Owners are home and the fire is out.

13 So close to home! May 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM

I’m very relieved by the response of the Concord Fire Department, as well as the police to this house fire. They were not messing around. The entire force showed up in a matter of minutes. I’m glad no one was in the house and all is well. The damage can be fixed.

14 Who cares May 5, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Let all the fire houses close!

15 Firefighter Wife May 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM

It is very nice to see some comment(s) regarding firefighter response times. Please keep this in mind when voting this year on measures that involve increasing taxes minimally to keep the response times & keep them at their jobs to provide the services that they do.

16 In the dark May 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM

So that explains the burning smell. I figured it was an outdoor fire pit burning. Now that I see this, I do remember sirens, but not a lot. I love within a couple of blocks of the home, but wasn’t aware last night. Glad to hear that it wasn’t too extensive and nobody was hurt.

17 truth May 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

@ who cares…. Looser!

18 Cowellian May 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM

truth@17,
Looser than what?

19 Cap'n Nick May 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Cowellian, looser than truth’s grasp on spelling?

20 party man May 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Without the smart ass comments, does anybody know why they are closing firehouses? I live downtown and my girlfriend lives in the apartment building in Martinez where the fire was the other day. We watched that fire and realized the fire fighters sure get a lot done in a quick manor. We personally thanked a few that came off the roof, they were beat. People say what you want, they sure are nice to have around. Sad were losing many.

21 Anon May 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

It’s an issue of funding. The fire dept gets almost all of it’s money from property taxes and property values have dropped
Significantly the last 5 years. Therefore they have had huge budget cuts do to the decline in revenue.

22 truth May 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM

My bad typo- meant to say loser.