PHOTOS: Morning Rescue on Mt. Diablo

April 22, 2012 18:45 pm · 24 comments

As we first reported earlier on Sunday, a hiker was rescued off Mt. Diablo after suffering a broken leg.

Thanks to “The Martian” for snapping the great photos shown above, and thanks to “Radar” for passing them along!

Thanks to Cathy at wildwomenwalking.blogspot.com for the one photo pictured above!

{ 24 comments }

1 Radar April 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Awesome shots Martian, congrats for being in the right place at the right time.!

2 Hey Claycord April 22, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Could 1 adventurous person survive amongst the wildlife of Mt Diablo? How long would a person last?

3 Shasta Daisy April 22, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Great shots. Thanks Radar and Martian.

I almost went hiking on the Waterfalls Trail today.

4 Hiker April 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Radar you’ve been scooped! jest jesting! Nice shots Martian and Cathy.
Glad the weather was nice for what looked like a textbook rescue.

5 Sick Sad World April 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

so what is that about a $60,000. ride, if that was me id save the money and hobble out over a day or two.

6 Lee White April 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Great photos! Does anybody know which trail this was? It kind of looks like Middle Trail, but I’m not sure. I just hiked to the summit from Regency Drive in Clayton last week and did the Donner Falls trail the month before. I learned from my first experience to take trekking poles. They saved my ass — literally — numerous times, especially while descending. Diablo isn’t a very big mountain, but the terrain is rocky and steep. Safety first!

7 Share the road with me! April 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Thanks for the plug Mr. Mayor! ~ Cathy

8 Shasta Daisy April 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Trekking poles…the only way to hike Mt. D. They have saved me from falling many times.

9 ANONYMOUS April 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Lee , it may have been, but I’m only judging by having been on the trail and where I saw the helicopter from my house below.

10 mika April 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

When rescue teams have to get you out of trouble, do you have to pay for the rescue?

11 @Lee White - I went up that way too... April 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

The photo of the red ambulance looks like the junction of Cardinet Oaks & Falls Trail. They probably drove in from Russellman Rd., which I saw them do on another rescue near the Falls.

I don’t know for sure about the rescue location, but from the terrain and density of green trees, it looks to me like it is between the Falls and Middle Trail.

12 Make My Day April 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

My helicopter ride on Mt. Diablo was $25,000 and surgery at JM $65,000 – Kaiser paid it all except for a couple hundred dollars. I always tell fellow bikers to check their insurance policies for coverage after that drama.

13 @sicksadworld April 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

No it’s a free ride. It’s CHP which is police which is payed with taxes.

The private medical helicopters like calstar, life flight , reach etc are the rides that cost 15-20k

14 @#11 April 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

That “red ambulance” is ConFire Engine 311. Its a 4wheel drive fire engine used for wildfire and off road rescues like this one.

15 Radar April 23, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Thanks Shasta, though I wasn’t there, the Martian got the pics and all I did was process them!

16 Katelyn April 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM

The rescued was my mom, and there is no way she could have “hobbled” out, so yes it’s worth however much it cost. It is not fun to see someone so close to you in such an extreme amount of pain. She was on the Donner trail, and is an experienced hiker who has done that hike before. The ground was soft and her foot landed funny. We appreciate the good thoughts, as she is recovering from surgery.

17 RanchgirlCA April 23, 2012 at 5:36 AM

A friend got billed for her ‘rescue’. Maybe things have changed…

18 Andrea April 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I’m glad to hear that person is safe

19 The Falls Trail can be treacherous April 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

The Falls Trail can be treacherous. People think it will be slippery when its been rainy, but it actually becomes more slippery as the ground dries. I have hiked it about 7 times a year, and sometimes it’s not slippery, and sometimes it is. But I agree with Shasta Daisy that trekking poles have saved me from many potential slips and falls…could still happen with them, but it narrows the chances. Still, it is a fabulous hike with gorgeous flowers this time of year!

20 mike mac April 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I agree the Falls Trail is one of the most slippery trails on the mountain. It is a great hike, if one is properly attired and wearing proper foot wear. Seeing those waterfalls is a very cool experience. I have seen snakes sunning themselves on the buses along the trail.

21 Best not to hike that trail alone April 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I love that hike, and I have hiked it alone, but having witnessed injuries on that trail, I would urge people to make sure they have another person along when they hike it, in case of emergency. I will still hike it alone, but try to time it so that I am hiking right in front of, or behind other people, in case of an emergency. One would not want to be stuck up there alone in an emergency situation.

22 Emily D April 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Katelyn -
Glad your mom is ok, mine did something similar at an A’s game a few years back… It doesn’t take much to break the bones down by your ankle. I hiked there Friday and slipped on the Middle Trail but just went down on my butt. Lucky!!

23 sfsean April 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM

My wife and I did a short hike up Donner and back down BackCreek early Sunday morning and I was shocked at how many people were starting their hike at 10-11 with little or no water and were planning on either going to the falls or the summit. That’s just dumb. I do more trail running on these trails (love living in Clayton!) and when it gets “pebbly” the downhill stretches can get interesting. But that makes it fun!

24 2-4L water April 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM

When it comes to water, I’d rather be safe than sorry. For a trip to the falls, I’d carry 2-3 Liters of water. For a trip to the summit, I’d take 3-4 Liters. There is water available at the summit, so 3 Liters is probably fine, but if something should happen along the way, it would be nice to have a little extra on hand.