Column: The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

April 19, 2012 14:00 pm · 55 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

I’m back! Yay!

This week, I want to talk about rude parents who don’t watch their children!

I’ve told you about 200 times in the past that I work in the Sunvalley Mall, which in my mind is the people watching capital of the World.

I work part-time in a store that has a lot of breakable items.

On Saturday afternoon, a woman came in with FIVE children, who were all under five (seriously, and none of them were twins).

The kids were out of control. The woman was asking questions to one of the other store employees, and completely ignoring her children. I was watching the children, but I was also talking to another customer, so I couldn’t stop what was about to happen. About three minutes after they came into the store, the youngest of her fivesome broke a glass figure we had in the store. She apologized, then about two minutes later, another one of her children broke two things as he slid his arm across a shelf.

In all, the store lost about $75 worth of merchandise.

When my boss approached the woman telling her he would like her to pay for at least half of the damage created by her little monsters (my words, not his), she said “I’m ain’t payin’ for nuthin’, ain’t that why you got insurance?”.

Why are people so damn rude?

Growing up, I always heard from my parents, “if you break it you buy it”. Fortunately, I never broke anything inside a store, but if I did, I know my parents would have their checkbook out faster than I can say “pie”.

The woman ended up walking out of the store, leaving broken glass all over, and my boss said there wasn’t anything he could do to make her pay for the items, so he just let her go.

If you broke something inside a store, would you pay for it, or would you just pretend it didn’t happen?

Moving on….

A few things I saw around Claycord this week:

• I saw a guy being ticketed for parking in a disabled spot in front of CVS on Ygnacio Valley Road. His excuse to the cop who was ticketing him was “but I was just returning my movie to the redbox
  • Speaking of CVS, why do they have carpet in their stores?
  • That thunder & lightning storm last week was so beautiful. I wish we had more of those. Who agrees?

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• To get something out of a heat register or under the fridge add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum’s hose. It can be bent or flattened to get into narrow openings.

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

-The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 Cowellian April 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Am I in time for pie?

2 Living in Claycord April 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Ignorant people and their out of control children are one of the main reasons why the cost of goods is rising. I also work retail, and it drives me nuts that parents let the kids use rolls of wrapping paper as dueling swords or light sabers. Of course, the idiot fathers who join in on this “fun” don’t exactly helo the situation.

Or what about the parent who give their toddlers something to play with in the store to distract them. The item usually ends up in the kids’ mouths. Then when Mom gets to the register she hands over the now disgustingly slobbered on product with a flippant “we aren’t taking this”.

90% of the parents who come into our store don’t want to be distracted by their kids while they are shopping, so they let them run wild and play with products. Management does nothing about it because they don’t want to piss of the parents and have them shop elsewhere. Boy, if I ran that store it would be very different. In all, it is not the kid’s fault, the blame all lies with their entitled parents.

3 Just Me April 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Hate people who don’t watch their kids. Especially parents who let their children crawl under & all around their table at restaurants! I also HATE that damn carpet at CVS! It downgraded the store big time!

4 Kristy Smith April 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM

“… $75 worth of merchandise.”

Really? I’m sure the store owner paid less than $10 for that stuff.

I write this up as the cost of doing business. Are we going to start charging people when they break glasses at restaurants. Tell your boss to get over it… it’s his fault for putting breakable items low enough for 5 year olds could reach.

5 Pucky April 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Another good read; The kids in the store is a good reminder to parents! Thanks

6 East County? April 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I’m guessing if she’s using “aint” that says it all.

7 Wisecracker April 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Again, lack of self-respect, a respect for others, and a respect for other’s property…

@Just Me… I agree with you regarding children in restaurants. What I am seeing is a vast majority of children are being raised without manners and discipline… with this in mind, taking your unruly children “out to dinner” should be limited to placed like McDonalds and not a fine dining establishment. I rarely dine out and when I do I certainly don’t want some brat running around the restaurant like it’s a day care facility.

8 Nick April 19, 2012 at 2:57 PM

There is a flip side to the parents who don’t manage their little miscreants when they shop. Why is it that I get disapproving looks so often when I tell my son to knock it the hell off when he is being a little butthead in public? For crap sake people, why are some of you so offended by seeing a parent take control? I don’t hit him, or grab him or anything like that. I tell him to knock it off, and people look at me like I’m an asshole. It’s just pathetic really.

9 Anon777 April 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I would be mortified if my kid broke something and I would def pay for it. If I was the owner of your store, I would have said something to her the minute I saw her out of control kids: “Excuse me, but can you please watch your children, we have lots of breakable items in here.” And if she didn’t, I would have then asked her to leave the store. It’s too bad her poor children will most likely grow into her ghetto ways.

Love thunder and lightening, and yes, hate the carpet in CVS; gives me the heebie jeebies. Glad to see no haters here at the moment!

10 Mr. John April 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM

If I ran the world:
* No tax breaks for kids. You don’t get an additional standard deduction or exemption.
* All parents would be required to take classes on parenting. There would be one for during pregnancy, one for when they’re newborns, one for toddlers, one for elementary kid ages, and one more when the kid is hitting teen age years. Each would focus on techniques for raising healthy and responsible children. Parents that fail to pass the class by a certain point in the child’s development would face ‘tax penalties’ increasing their personal income tax rate by 5% with a minimum addition to their tax liability of $500.
* Parents would be strictly liable for damages caused by their children – in the amount of 120% of the cost of the damages. If your child causes $100 of damages, you owe the shopkeeper $120.

11 Rob April 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Would I pay for something my kid breaks?

Are you required to do so?
No – when a company puts out items for the public to be around they assume the risk that something might get broken (unless someone comes in and just starts breaking stuff on purpose).

So, IMHO, this falls under the category of there is one correct answer morally and another correct answer legally…

But what I don’t know about is after the first item was broken and the mother knew about it – did she then take on liability for later breakages?

12 mad housewife April 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

#4 Kristy Smith
you are one ignorant person.
Money is one thing, but the lack of watching the kids is what it is all about. Are YOU that mom? ahaha, sure sound like it

13 Anonymous April 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I’ve seen some stores that post little notices like “You break it, you pay for it.” I don’t know if they can or do enforce that rule. But, at least a fair warning might keep the lowlifes out of the store – like this particular woman and her unruly brood.

14 Wisecracker April 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM

@Nick
You’re getting dirty looks from people when you discipline and take control of parenting your children because for so many this is foreign… they are bewildered and have no idea or clue. When my mother and father said “no” when I was a kid you didn’t question authority. NO was NO and none of us played each parent.

15 Concordejet April 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Sure I would pay for any item I broke because it was my mistake. It like I spilled a glass of wine on the table and the wine reach to the person next to me on her pant so, I felt bad about it I immediately rush to the front counter to get plenty of nakpskin and clean up the mess. Lucky, the wine was not much left so, it was easy to clean. Anything I did, I am responsible for the mess I cause.

You asked lighten and thunder so beautiful. I got to go with the green light am with yuo. That why i go stand outside and get my picture taken by the lighten becuase the flash is up in the sky haha.

A man parked int he handicapped parking lot is too lazy to park somewhere else just to return the movie. it only takes 5 minutes you lazy bumb!!!!!!!!!!

I will throw a pie at you SMASH OOOOps the housewife look mad so i am going to hide somewhere lol

16 Anon42 April 19, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I too am tired of the way kids are raised these days. No friggin manners at all. I was told to keep my hands in my pockets or else I had to pay for anything I broke. Too many rude/inconsiderate people making & raising the same little monsters. This world is going to be full of me me me type of people. Sad.

17 Calendar Girl April 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM

It’s hard when you work in retail, see customers and their kids breaking merchandise, and then have to put up with managers who are too wimpy or too “politically correct” to demand that they control their kids or leave.
I’ve been there. Just remember, it’s not on you. It’s not.

18 Parent April 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM

For Nick,
Good job! I wish more parents would control their kids in public places.
And yes, I would pay for anything my kids broke. It’s called integrity.

19 the real superman April 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Sounds like the work of the kids of the real housewive of claycord. From someone that’s the real house wife of claycord you don’t spend much time with your kids they are probably getting the old television babysitter.Hope your pie burns. Who does make a pie a week anyway?

20 Cindy April 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I agree with you about the rude and unruly children now days. I worked retail for 22 years and what I saw most of especially around the holidays was abuse. Frustrated parents not wanting to be in the crowds, not finding what they want, blah, blah, blah, and taking it out on the kids. Kids whinning and crying because they are tired and they get kicked or choked. And when you say something you are told to mind your own business. Even got store security involved but they really couldn’t do anything. I tell you it was heartbreaking.

But on the thunder and lightening note, love it, love it, love it. It’s exciting to me. Wish we had more of that kind of weather. I always get funny looks when I say that. Just call me Morticia.

Have a good week.

21 Julie April 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It’s up to the business, not the parents. The entitled, lowlifes who perpetrate this type of behavior in their children, will pay. Just later on. The business? Pays now. Only, they have the power to not do this. It’s called telling the mother and her flock of out of control chicks, to leave. YOU, the business owner/manager/whoever is in charge, gets to do this–like the “no shirts, no shoes, no service” sign. It’s private property, and YOU can control who comes and goes. The lady/mother? she can object, but then you can enforce this–call the cops. Tell them her out of control band of rugrats are destroying property. And she isn’t paying. They will get her and her kids out of the shop. It’s called common sense. Instead of taking the hit, eating the merchandise, take control. Lowlife thugs come walkin thru the door? Probably with intent to make off with some merch? Tell them to leave. You have the right to do this as a business owner. If you don’t, then you are conveying an acceptance that anyone who likes, can come on in and do whatever they want to your merchandise.
Grow some cajones America. Other countries would no sooner put up with this bullsh*t. Otherwise, it will keep on.
I no longer walk thru the doors of any CVS. It’s smells, it’s got cheap crap, usually nothing I would buy anyway. I think you vote with your feet. Carpet on the floor is any of this: too cheap to polish the floor tile, cover thy a$$ in case an elderly person falls, breaks a hip, you can’t tell if it’s dirty by looking at it (just smell, that tells a story) it’s different than any other drugstore. Miss Longs.

22 anonamiss April 19, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Boy, that woman not only is rude, but sounds ignorant (stupid). Sorry to sound so hateful, but what she did was just plain loathsome. It appears that so many people in the good ‘ol US of A, have adopted this arrogant, rude, narcissistic attitude. I’m sick of rude, ill mannered, classless, tasteless, illiterate imbeciles. For those people that have no idea what class and manners are, no matter how much bling you wear, slather yourself with expensive perfumes, hold a Coach or Prada purse, drive an expensive car, you are still trash………..

23 bluebird April 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Were all other items accounted for when she left with her brood? Maybe the kids were told to break things to distract the shop employees so she could stuff her bag. I remember one time we were shopping at the mall and pushing a stroller. It was too hot inside the mall so we took our jackets off and hung them on the back of the stroller. When I went to the register to pay for something, they checked under our jackets to make sure we weren’t stealing anything. I am sure this sort of thing happens all the time but after that, I made sure the clerk could tell we weren’t trying to steal or hide anything.

24 Get me the vomit bag...... April 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Can we say Birth Control??? If you can’t pay attention to them, then don’t have one. If you can’t teach them manners, self control and how to respect other people’s property, get your tubes tied and his equipment snipped. If you just love the baby stage because you never had a doll as a child, don’t have a baby they grow up and it’s a reflection on YOU who they turn out to be……

25 ajh5150 April 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I broke a candle in the Yankee Candle store about a year ago. I was mortified. I ask the sales clerk if I could pay for it, she said no it was an accident. Of course the first thing I did was apologize for breaking the candle, it was in a jar and glass was all over.

26 @ Kristy Smith April 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Your blase attitude is pathetic. This just sets a precedence that people can just be careless, rude, blundering boobs. If I had store, I wouldn’t want you shopping in it…….

27 #24 April 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Agreed

28 Nick April 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Cindy, did you miss the point that she was talking about kids at her job, not her own kids? If you didn’t miss that, then I don’t get your point.

29 Anonamomma April 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM

@4 It’s called RESPECT, a concept you’ve obviously not grasped.

Superman: TROLL

30 Anonymous April 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Kristy Smith doesn’t know what she’s talking about. If mark-ups are so high it’s probably to cover the inventory shrinkage from shoplifters and excess breakage (such as the kind that occurs when parents don’t watch and discipline their unruly children).

Most retailers don’t make that much money. Look at all the retail shops that have gone out of business over the years – even the big ones like Emporium Capwells (sp?), Mervyns and on and on. Kristy’s attitude is the same attitude that shoplifters exhibit when they rationalize it’s okay to steal because the stores make so much money. I hope Kristy only shops online (and that she isn’t using someone else’s credit card to pay for her purchases).

31 Horse'n Around April 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I can remember, all my mom had to do was just give me ” The look “.

32 the real superman April 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

33 Giving credit... April 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I have enjoyed the column the last two weeks.

34 Just a Concordian April 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

And she’s back! Welcome RA!

Having been a wild kid myself I can tell you my mother would whoop my behind if she caught me doing something like that. Not only would she take responsibility for my stupidity but she’d teach me a good lesson afterwards.

Now that being said… how is that when everyone is asked the question “what would you the parent do” answers it the proper way? There can’t be that many proper parents out there… as we all know and as RA witnessed herself. So why is it that they feel the need to lie about it when in fact they know perfectly well they wouldn’t do the right thing? And furthermore, if they know the right thing, why don’t they just do it instead of making an ass of themselves?

But then again that’s just my opinion…

35 Connie April 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%. I don’t work retain, but I can not get over the kids running around in a store, not only might they get hurt, break things, etc. etc, but they infringe (?) on my own well being. The total lack of respect is so high among the kids of today its just unreal. If I acted as these kids did, not only would my parents pay for the items, I would have gotten a VERY RED butt from the spanking I would have received.

36 dm April 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM

CVS, which I loathe by the way, has carpet to help seniors. There was a story in the NYT a few months ago that described how glossy floors can be visually confusing for some seniors, causing them to misstep and fall. Many stores that cater to such clientele are now dulling their shiny floors or in the case of CVS, moving to carpet. As someone who works in healthcare, the article was very interesting.

37 Mimi (original) April 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Work at Kohls. Holidays suck! Parents plant their kids in our limited toy department and tell then to “stay put”. They proceed to open boxes, dump things on the floor or just pick things up and relocate them. It takes HOURS to straighten up the toy area and we’re left with damaged toys and bashed boxes!!

38 small business owner April 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Not taking responsibility for your own actions seems to be a trend these days and I am appalled at this attitude. It is very unfortunate that some parents were not doing their job in teaching their offspring to do the right thing. Unfortunately the very same person that has no respect for other people property is the same person that will put up a big, loud fight if asked to leave a store.

If you brake something in a store it should not be a question whether to apologize and to offer to pay, or not. It should be an automatic reaction.

I am a small business owner and customers have broken things in my store by mistake. Yes I do have insurance, but think about how much the deductible is….
I had people apologize and offer to pay for it. But also my share of humans which just ran out, or even had an attitude about it. With the few times it has happened I would never take money if offered to pay, a sincere apology is worth a lot to me and I will absorb the loss.
Old fashioned honesty counts!

39 Chester E. Kitty April 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM

#4 Kristy Smith – YOU are just the type of mom that would let her kids run wild.

40 Chucky's Wife April 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

@Nick, #8 and anyone else complaining about getting dirty looks when disciplining their kids in public… There are different ways of handling that. If you seem abusive, you will get dirty looks. Last week at the gym, a dad came in with his three kids. I don’t know what the oldest did to deserve what he got, but the dad was out of line in public. He yelled at the kid and quite frankly, I thought he was about to smack him, or would hit him at home. The whole situation had abuse written all over it.

No, I’m not one of those that advocate tolerating everything your kids do and thinks there should not be consequences. But I do think that the consequences should be in line with the offense, should teach a lesson and should have the goal of correction in mind. Yelling at your kid in public and degrading him or her in front of everyone doesn’t accomplish any of these goals.

In the end, the guy had a lot of people staring at him and I’m sure it was more embarrassing to him than to the kid. Parents losing control in public is uncool, too.

41 Katie Gibson April 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I am ultra sensitive when it comes to my childrens’ manners. My twins are now 5 but I have always been very careful about taking them into stores that have breakables or anyone’s house that has things are delicate. The ONE time that one of my children broke something in a store was at Orchard Nursery in Lafayette during the Xmas display. I took the item to the front counter with us along with our purchases and told them that my child had broken the ornament and to add it to our bill. They refused to let us pay for it. I apologized and my daughter apologized. As a parent, you need to teach your children manners and respect for others’ property.

42 Connie Dobbs April 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

And shoppers, when you take your little dumpling to the used book store, please don’t park her in the children’s’ section while you browse the store. Just because the books aren’t new, that doesn’t mean it’s OK for your kid to thrash them. And when you come back to her, try not to think about how many other children may have drooled on that book your child currently has in her little mouth. The book you’re pretending not to notice and won’t buy, even though it’s only a dollar. That one.

43 anon April 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM

you know the one thing i hate bout this colum is you act like your the perfect mom and you do no wrong im not saying the lady shouldnt pay for the damage but i read this all the time and you complain bout other parents all the time heres a tip worry bout your own kids and mind your own bussiness

44 @TRHoC April 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Is this your last week??

45 Thomas Clarke April 20, 2012 at 7:55 AM

The shop owner has breakage agreements with their suppliers, provided that the losses are properly accounted for. Retail mark-ups are not the value that the owner writes off the goods at. If the breakage was at full price of $75, a 50% mark up of $37.50 is likely. This write off goes against the profit margin for the store.

If you the employee is not marking out of stock breakage you either are poorly trained, ignorant or your boss has not a clue in retail store management, gross margin maintenance and general retail inventory control.

$37.50 is a poor reason to loose a potential customer. I would certainly question the continuing business plan for the store you work in. Chasing profit out the door is very foolish.

46 Hang in there! April 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

TRHOC – Do your thing. Have fun.

@Real Superman – Were you born an a$$hole or did you have to practice? Because you got that $hit down!

@Easy County? Post birth abortion should be legal and practiced on ignorant souls such as yourself.

All – I am struck by the fact that people have said these same things throughout history. “Kids these days….” Not that I am excusing the mom. She should have paid something or at least explained why she could not. Though, yes, she is not required to do so.

47 the real superman April 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Not born a a$$ hole just stating facts, That’s a nice comment coming from someone with a high school g e d.

48 Family Values April 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I was eating at the Blackbear Diner the other night and was sat near a family of (4) mom, dad, son, daughter and the grandparents. The kids were approximately 4 or 5. These kids were the worst I had ever seen. From climbing on the tables, standing in chairs, marching around the resturant and just plain hyper and loud beyond belief, all within 3 feet of us. I did all I could to keep my comments and composure to myself as my wife and inlaws were with me. I shot several glares and dirty eyeballs at the parents who seemed oblivious to the occurrences. I’m sure this was just another regular diner time for them.
As we left to pay I was tapped on the shoulder from the grandfather of the little devils, he quietly apologized to me for the behavior of his grandchildren and offered to pay our tab to compensate for his little monsters. I said “sure” but I think your son or daughter should be paying for this don’t you? He shrugged his shoulders and wished us a good night. I said thank you then left a $20.00 tip for the poor waitress who was pulling her hair out dodging the monsters as she delivered food to the surrounding tables.

Parents; You are responsible for your children for 18 years. !!!Own it!!!
Funny how the older generation realized this and compensated for it and the Gen X did nothing.

49 concord mom April 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM

thanks! i look forward to reading your column every week!

50 oh please! April 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I wish stores would put up huge signs saying ‘parents. only well behaved children allowed’ it would be so much better shopping without parents letting their kids scream and do nothing. where’s the consideration for others? if my daughter acted up in the store i took her outside until she was ready to behave. yes, even if i did have a cart full of groceries. she learned throwing a tantrum wouldnt get her anything. i also made it a habit to not buy her things when she was with me when she was very young. it was really good advice someone gave me. i never had the begging and tantrums going on that so many parents have.

51 remember when.. April 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

there were non-smoking sections in restaurants? well maybe we need a unruly children section

52 Benjamin Martin April 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

But that would fly in the face of the Californicated Nannyism Movement’s desire to produce nothing but organic, free-range children.

53 mommy1 April 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM

There is no way I would allow my kid to run around breakables. More parents need to teach their kids how to act and other parents need to mind their business when you are trying to discipline your kid in public. I was at sams yesterday and my daughter was crying about how she was hungry and I told her she needed to wait. you should have seen the looks I got. What they didn’t know was waiting until we left was her natural consequence for refusing to eat her fruit and yogurt breakfast. Guess what, she sure did eat her breakfast this morning.

54 Grateful wife April 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Hey C. H. Wife thanks for another great post! Luv it!

Yes…often we hear & see this bad behavior in stores with kids. It seems to be getting much worse than in yrs. past. I can only imagine what teachers go through each week. It’s just plain hard having to deal with people or children who are rude!

55 MO April 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM

To be truthful, when my kids were small, one girl, twin boys, not 23 mo’s apart…I didn’t go into shops with breakables when I had them with me.

They learned to eat in a restaurant in three high chairs at Four Corners Pizza, where Mary and John were so patient, and fixed them gnocchi ….and they gave the little bowls and short spoons…what a delightful place to go…I never did let them out of their highchairs to run around the restaurant.

I took them to the movies once out at a theater near Montgomery Wards…and one of them was fussing….we all left…and did not ruin the movie for the others.

And, when I raised my kids, they got Swats and NO NO’s….

I would pay for anything I broke in any store…

And speaking of ”who bakes a pie every week?”…well…when we were eating that kind of food, before Michelle Obama said we couldn’t….I baked bread on Friday’s, and a big pan of cinnamon rolls, and a pie or cobbler.
If we were having company, I’d bake a German Chocolate Cake with Almond/Coconut Frosting…in a large sheet cake pan.

Now we only eat rabbit food, cause we are afraid big brother will tell on us.

Love the blog…see ya next week …:)