Column: The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

April 12, 2012 · 47 comments

The Real Housewife of Claycord – Every Thursday at 2pm on Claycord.com

Hi Claycordians!

I’d like to start my column this week by reminding everybody about the donation fund set up for the Nuri family:

If you’d like to donate money to the Nuri family, you can do so at any Wells Fargo Bank. Just tell them you’re donating to the Soliaman and Hadessa Nuri Memorial Fund. Donations can be made at any Wells Fargo branch to account number 3268148529.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Nuri family.

And now, back to the regular column….

My family absolutely loves sports, and we recently signed one of our children up for little league baseball. We’ve been through a few weeks of practice and have had a few games, and I’ve learned two things during that time: 1. My little girl is having fun, and 2. The parents are absolutely nuts!

This isn’t t-ball, it’s the next step up. She played t-ball last year and had fun, but this year is a whole different story.

The parents take this game way too serious, not all, but some. For instance, the other night we had a game and one of the boys on the team was having a problem hitting a pitch from the pitching machine. His Dad came out, grabbed him by the arm and told him he was making the team look bad. I couldn’t believe what I heard. This father was making his son feel worthless in front of probably 60 people (including the team). The poor kid is probably about eight years old, and has a nutcase for a father. The coach came out and told the father to go sit down, and the father yelled at the coach, saying “this is my son, you sit the f*ck down”. A few parents immediately came out to try and control the situation, because this father was about to lose it (even more than he already had).

Another time (another parent) was screaming at the top of her lungs at her child saying “hit the damn ball”. It was really awkward sitting near the woman, because she was just making herself look like an idiot.

I don’t know what it is about the parents in little league baseball. Like I said, most are good, but there are a few bad apples that must have been bad at sports when they were a kid, and are now trying to live out their dream through their child(ren).

What is it about parents in little league? I’ve always heard stories but never thought I would witness something like this.

Have you had any similar experiences or witnessed any crazy behavior?

A few things I saw around Claycord this week:

• This morning I witnessed a kid lose control of his car at the intersection of Oak Grove & Treat, just a few feet away from where the crash happened this weekend. His car spun around about three times on the slick road. SLOW DOWN!
  • The Panda Express “coming soon” sign is up in the Clayton Valley Shopping Center. Anybody excited for Panda?
  • I saw the man with the monkey in Todos Santos Plaza again this week. I commented to a lady standing next to me that the monkey was “cute”, and she said “those things belong in a zoo, not in a public park”. Relax lady, and enjoy life once in a while, because before you know it, it might be over.

The Real Housewife of Claycord Housetip of the Week:

• Once a month, pour one cup of baking soda, followed by one cup of white vinegar down your drains. Wait an hour and flush with warm water. The combination fizzles away most of the buildup. Works for shower, tub and kitchen sink drains as well. (source: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/bathrooms#ixzz1rqiauQtx)

That’s it for this week.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, see you next Thursday at 2pm!

It’s time for me to go make a pie!

-The Real Housewife of Claycord xxoo

1 Living in Claycord April 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Totally get the story about Little League parents. When my daughter was 8 or 9, my daughter had a good eye for hitting and fielding, so her team mates voted her to be on the All Star team. A couple of the parents had issues with this because they believed only boys should be on the All Star team – after all, they told me, that is how you eventually become a HS baseball star, get a full ride college scholarship and eventually become an MLB star. Unfortunately, the coaches went along with the parents and my daughter quit playing ball for a couple of years. The boy that replaced her on the All Star team became a gangsta wannabe and is currently doing time.

And not too excited about Panda Express. Wingstop, yes – Panda, no.

2 annon April 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Thanks for the drain tip!
Have a wonderful week!

3 Anon777 April 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Oh yes I remember those sports days when the kids were young; and it’s not just baseball, every sport has some ignorant parent who really makes themselves look bad, not their kid or the team. Imagine what that kid gets at home?

Not excited about Panda at all…..but would love a Wingstop in that center…great idea Living in Claycord!

4 Chuckie's Wife April 12, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I don’t get parents that yell at their kids – especially in public. The other day, as I was leaving the gym, a father came in with his three boys. I have no clue what happened, but all of a sudden he started yelling at his oldest to sit down, right there on the floor and when the kid wouldn’t do it, he kept yelling at him about how he had to learn to obey and when he was told to sit, to sit all the way. The dude got a lot of attention, but definitely no respect. The whole thing was just sad.

Don’t know about Panda – never tried their food. When I want Chinese, I go to The Chinese Kitchen on Clayton Rd. They cook the food fresh and we’ve never had a bad experience.

5 Been There April 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM

My son and daughter played ball at JOBL. That is the gathering place of all crazy-freaky parents. The girls softball team had a fist-fight break out between parents! Then there was a kid on the travel team who’s dad co-coached that team as well as a boys team and a girls team (so 3 teams in all). The dad was a bully (was fired from MDUSD because of it–I have letters from 2 parents who went to the school describing details of his unprofessionalism) and his son was no better. His son actually attacked my son from behind (because he hated my son and would beat on him with friends at school) and was punching him in the back of the head. My son never had a chance for even one swing. This all happened ON THE BASEBALL DIAMOND in front of all parents. Parents wrote letters and everything saying it was completely the attacking boy who was at fault, but the JOBL board still suspended my son from a game! The bully coach threatened to walk away from all 3 teams if my son didn’t get suspended as well (his son got a 3 game suspension only) so the board decided to keep the bad coach and do the wrong thing. No wonder there was an avalanche of people who left that year! DUH!!!!!!

Yes… I am fully aware of idiot baseball parents. Oh yeah… my son, who was a home-run hitter and was throwing 65mph pitches at 10 years old, has never played ball again, he said he just doesn’t want to deal with the crazy kids and parents anymore. Thanks JOBL for your uncaring stupidity in handling that situation and for ruining a great ball player.

6 Badger April 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Enough of this article

7 Avery's Mom April 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I have a 5yr old son, and he plays peewee baseball. This is his second year, and there are definitely those parents out there that are just a little to hardcore. I think some parents forget its not about winning, but learning sportsman ship and and having fun and meeting new people. Instead of yelling at their kids to do better, maybe they should try to cheer them on instead!!

8 Fish Breath April 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Ditto on the slow down. Slow down slow down slow down. Tell your kids to slow down. Slow down if you are a young badass with those killah rims. And if you drive a motorcycle, please put a muffler on it. All you middle aged guys with a bandana driving your harley: we don’t need to hear the noise inside our skulls.

9 @ Anon777 April 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM

The reason I mentioned Wingstop is because there is one scheduled to open there in the next few months. It will be between Clayton Valley Dental Care and Travis Credit Union. YUM!!!!!

10 1BAR April 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Sadly enough, I too have bore witness to simple minded, overbearing folks at little league games! I chose to turn their behavior into a valuable life lesson for my kids and others! “See kids, look around. See how everyone is staring at that person? I bet their kid feels bad too! Embarrassed even! Everyone gets frustrated once in a while! It’s how you choose to deal with it that makes you a decent person or a frustrated fool!”

Cheers!

11 SUPPERMAN April 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM

What no poop pee or puke this week hope next week is your last time of hearing from you !!!

12 Sports Mom April 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM

My son has played for Concord American Little League for the last 3 years and we have never had any experiences like the ones described here. All the parents get along and encourage the kids to play better! We love it and all the coaches!

13 Elwood April 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM

@ #8 Fish Breath

Here is the law of loud motorcycle pipes:

The loudness of the pipes is inversely proportional to the size of the penis.

14 @been there April 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Are you talking about Mr. Noche? (sp?)

15 Indeed April 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Much better this week, I too have seen parents act like fools at their kids sports events. Sad, sad, sad. I always feel bad for the kids, kind of know what will happen when they get home.. More of the same…

Good tip about the drains. Will try it because drain cleaner is expensive and this seems more “green” Thanks…

16 MO April 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Great blog. Important issues for parents, calm down…Little League is for the kids, and if your child cannot play like a big leaguer, it’s probably genetic…so it’s not the kids fault. My Twin boys are 49 years old, and back in the dark ages, parents acted like fools,….too. I don’t understand why folks choose to show their bad side in front of God and everybody. Poor kids.

Thanks for the drain tip…and I can smell that pie cooling on the window sill….I think it might be Peach Pie? Yum.

PS:…this little fluffy blog is the light at the end of the tunnel…keeps us sane when there is so much pain and suffering elsewhere. Keep it coming.

17 lewis April 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Please Please Please stop writing this column

18 JD April 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM

One season of JOBL was all I could take.

19 JD April 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Lewis – Please Please Please stop reading this column. Jeez, you’d think someone was forcing you to read.

20 Mom! April 12, 2012 at 4:23 PM

But SUPPERMAN, clearly you missed it and had to bring it up yourself? Have you considered therapy for your issue?

Enjoyed your column HW!

21 Happy One April 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Yup, I’ve seen those crazy little league parents. The coaches get way too emotional, too. I’ve seem coaches yell at and threaten the umpires (who are just parents) when they don’t like the calls.

I like the household hints you put at the end of your column. Keep ‘em coming!

22 Jojo Potato April 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

My grandson has started in the WC single A league this year (7 years old). I have been very pleased to hear only positive comments from coaches and parents during the games. I hope it keeps up. So far, so good.

23 anonymous PH resident April 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Please please please KEEP WRITING this column! The news (claycord included) is so full of sad/depressing/scary/negative articles, it’s nice to be able to read something positive/up beat. Thank you for writing!

I’ve encountered those crazy parents, while coaching gymnastics when I was a teenager. Poor kids get pushed to the limit and feel like they’re never good enough… and that was just recreational classes! Oddly enough, the competitive kids’ parents were more level headed (at practice at least).

24 Jojo Potato April 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Regarding sports parents, if I could expand it to soccer. My girls all played soccer and they would occasionally ask a parent to “run the lines”, that is call the balls that went out. There was a “real” referee in the middle, which was usually just a little bit older kid.

I took the flag and diligently watched my line, after the referee agreed that he would be responsible to the off-side call. On one play that was coming down towards my end, in the middle of the field, a kid got ahead of the defense and scored a goal. Maybe he was off-side, I wasn’t watching for that since I had talked to the ref earlier.

From the other side of the field, the coach was yelling at me: “You M***F**ing American, don’t you know the rules?”

Hello, this game was being played in my hometown, with my kids and that was so out of line I just couldn’t believe it. I resisted the impulse to give back the flags and take my kid home. Probably a good move, but it grates on me to this day.

25 Been There April 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM

#14 Nope it was not him. This was back in 2007-2008. The bad dad (coach) had to move out of this area altogether, he apparently tried another school district and they booted him out of there too because of his piss-poor attitude (he would swear in classes, berate kids, etc.). I heard his mean kid was bullied in their new town, hehe my good friend Karma gave him a taste of his own medicine and he was absolutely miserable… or so I heard :)

26 DoReMi April 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM

A teen in a golf cart couldn’t do much damage.

27 SUPPERMAN April 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM

@MOM That’s no way to talk to your son.

28 Renee April 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM

It absolutely amazes me how a youth sports league of any sort can continue to exist when people are “screaming”at, “cussing”at, “demoralizing” and “berating” young children. It is simple, A) take your child out of the situation and file a complaint immediately with the governing authorities. B) Demand a refund of your money, and follow through with your complaint. If enough parent’s did this, it would stop. I for one would never allow anybody to treat my child or any child on the field that way. We play at Concord American and they are wonderful. Cheer the kids on, teach them properly and let them have fun. Also, Mr Mayor, please keep TRHWOC, love her column.

29 BagsFlyFree April 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Thx for the drain tip RHOC!

30 @11 April 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Is it “supper” as in dinner or “super” as in Clark Kent?

31 SUPPERMAN April 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Supper as dinner because I am the best chef in town

32 Love this column! April 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Mayor, please let her keep writing. When I pulled up Claycord today and saw the column I was so excited. I love to read it. Please people, if you don’t like it, don’t read it. As you can see Mayor, most of us like it.

33 Thomas Clarke April 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

If you are offended by Helicopter Parents like those described, you owe it to your own mental health to call out the issue to the organizing representative. If that person takes no immediate action, you should leave and take your child with you. It will only get worse. All youth activities are not like this.

34 Nicmo April 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Go through Treat and Oak Grove intersection quite often. Tuesday a large truck floored it at the green light, spinning his wheels in the rain and sliding sideways on purpose. Today a Mustang drove through like Speed Racer weaving in and out of cars, barely missing them and almost running into the memorial. Maybe its because this intersection is near two high schools but please learn from the recent tragedy and slow down.

35 Panda Express? April 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

We can do better than Panda Express. The food is so generic. I’d rather support a local business than a chain. Plus the last time I took a coupon to the Panda Express at Citrus Circle, it was like a bait and switch deal. What the coupon lead you to believe was very different from the deal they gave. I ran this by a bunch of other people and they agreed.

36 Amused April 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM

@Elwood #13 ROTFLOL

37 Ryan April 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

@Elwood #13…so I’m assuming you have a quiet muffler on your Rascal? Good to hear!

38 Bradford April 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Not your biggest fan, RHWOC, but this is your least crappy column yet.

39 @Living in Claycord April 13, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I agree on the least crappy article, though I’m still not much of a fan. We’re a competitive family but some parents need to get over it. I use sports as a way to enrich my children physically and mentally and our philosophy is that if you try your absolute best, you always win.

@Living in Claycord: And to the person who said their daughter couldn’t be an allstar, no offense, but you shouldn’t have taken that lightly. I would’ve sued and by being passive about something like that shows your daughter that you support the idea that she will always be naturally inferior due to her sex. I wish someone say my daughter couldn’t do something because she’s a girl. You’d surely see an article about me on here.

40 Anon777 April 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM

To all the naysayers: please please please don’t read this column!!! If you don’t like it, WHY are you still here reading and commenting?

Ironically, SUPPERMAN, who doesn’t want this column to continue, posts THREE (3) times!! I bet you just like to see your “name” in print and probably the sound of your own voice. Get over it and GO AWAY if you don’t like it!

I hope this column continues! And thank you to Living in Claycord for the note about Wingstop! Really excited about that!

41 Smokey April 13, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Next time you eat at Panda (or any chain), check out the nutrition pamphlet. You will be amazed at the amount of fat and calories in the food.

42 Just a Concordian April 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM

@TRHWOCC (The Real Housewife of Claycord)

Wow, that’s a mouthfull… 7 letters that’s a license plate so let’s trim it a bit shall we… the T is just the first letter of “The” which isn’t even a real word, and the H is silent in many languages, so we drop them and we’re down to get RWOCC. Ok, how we’re getting somewhere. But when you really think about it, the W without the H doesn’t do justice to our columnist’s chosen profession, so to speak. So we drop the W and we have ROCC. Come to think of it, CC is really part of the same idea, ClayCord which isn’t even a word, or a place, though we all would like it to be, and we all know where our housewife is from so no need for it, we drop the CC and we’re down to RO. But when you really think about it, no matter how you can hate her column, you can’t really call her RO. Hey RO, whats up RO. It’s almost “BRO” and she’s as far from being a “BRO” as a CSI guy who moonlights as a serial killer. Doesn’t work, so we drop the O and we’re down to R. Hard to say just a consonant, even harder when you’re referring to someone so we take a vowel, I think the first one will do just fine, and we got RA which might not mean much to the judeo-christians of this blog but it is roughly translated “creator” in ancient Egyptian. So now that I’m done with this massive Carlin reference, very nice column, RA!

43 WC Mom April 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I was a coach for WC Multi-League and I’ve seen downright crazy behavior from both parents and kids.

We’re now in WC Little League, which parents must follow the LL code of Ethics, http://www.littleleague.org/Assets/forms_pubs/asap/Parent_Code-of-Conduct.pdf

That parent who yelled at his child should be booted from the league. What a terrible example, poor kid.

44 anon April 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM

JOBL sucks.

45 Pegasus April 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Talk to the coach regarding the horrible parents. Maybe he can ask the umpire to DQ the entire team based on the parents behavior. Tell the loud mouths why the team was DQ’d. That should shut them up.

46 Pegasus April 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM

oops,
Tell the parents why they were DQ”d, not the team.

47 catdog April 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Housewife..I hope you don’t let the negative bloggers get you down. What I can’t understand is why they read it if they don’t like it then feel the need to comment. They are haters and if they had a brain, they just wouldn’t read it. I enjoy your column and hope you continue writing.