The Flowers Near Lowe’s in North Concord

April 11, 2012 · 20 comments

Thanks to Killjoy for these beautiful photos, which were taken in front of Lowe’s in North Concord earlier this week.

1 Antler April 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Killjoy, these photos are lovely! I’m guessing that the flowers are Gazanias, but maybe Garden Girl will set me straight if I’m wrong.

What talented photographers we have in Claycord Town! I wish they would rent a booth at the Antique Faire!

2 GoGo Gomez April 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Beautiful snap shots buddy!

3 anon April 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I love it when those flowers burst every Spring!!

4 Dragon April 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Oh pretty!!!

5 Happy One April 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM

What lovely photos, Killjoy. Thank you!

6 WC44 April 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Where are the bums?

7 Teri April 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Are those wild or did Lowe’s plant them? Beautiful!

8 Mayflower April 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

You’ve brought joy to the beholders of your lovely photos. Thank you, Killjoy.

9 Garden Girl April 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Antler, you know your flowers, they are gazanias. They were probably planted as mixed flats. By the way, if you are interested, tonight is our Clayton Valley Garden Club’s meeting at Diamond Terrace in Clayton at 7. Our speaker is Bethllyn Black a teacher at DVC, and she’ll be talking about Edible Gardening, just in time for spring. You, and any garden lovers are welcome to come.

10 Walker April 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I go over to Lowes in the Spring just to see this…and then end up buying something there! Good ploy, Lowes! It’s OK though – I fully support it because it makes me smile :)

11 CHHRISTINE April 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

One of my favorite flowers :)

12 Mir24 April 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I hardly go over there, but love to see those wildflowers. Last Spring I asked the Lowe’s cashier in the garden section about them and she said they didn’t plant them, that they were there when they got there.

13 Antler April 11, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Garden Girl, thank you for confirming my guess. And also thanks for the invitation to hear Ms. Black speak…..can’t be there this time, but will you be posting the lecture series calendar ongoing in your column?

14 Anonamomma April 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

NICE!

15 Pleasant Hill BART also has a lovely wildflower area this time of year April 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Another impressive business area for wildflowers is the pedestrian path leading from Oak/Treat to the Pleasant Hill BART station. This time of year, one side of the pathway is totally full of all kinds of colorful blooms, and the other side with assorted types of grasses. The developers really did a good job with that; it looked great last spring, too. Even when I’m doing my last-minute “sprint” to the BART train on my way to work, I can’t help but notice how beautiful it looks. :)

16 Antler April 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Mr24 at #12 ~ ~ ~ It must be that when the clerk first started working there, the flowers were already there. I’m guessing that is the case because Gazania is a wildflower, but the species is not native to this area (plus the Lowe’s site was thoroughly bulldozed during construction). I think the Gazania is native to Africa????? But I don’t know in what part of Africa……… cue Garden Girl again stage right!

17 Bart Station across from the Terminal April 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM

should sent someone over to Lowe’s, as their landscaping leaves much to be desired.

18 Killjoy April 12, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Thanks folks. I just thought we needed a little something to brighten the place up a bit. :)

19 Beautiful April 12, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Soooo beautiful. Thank you!

20 Antler April 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Killjoy at #118 ~ ~ ~ Every morning, please!!!!!